GWENT: Price of Power | EP2: Thanedd Coup | Teaser Trailer

+
Additionally to that the Card also probably heavily relies on which Decks are currently Popular in the Meta because you most likely won't find much worthy targets in a AQ/Elf Swarm or no/low Unit Deck heavy Meta.
I'll take an "out of the box" ST bronze card worth 5p that can swing for 40 but "only against wide decks". I mean, I know I'll struggle, but at least I will occasionally have fun. In fact, I have an idea for one right now, off the top of my head: Warpainted Deadeye: 4HP. Order [NO ZEAL!] Destroy all enemy units worth 3 points or less, then boost self by their combined power. Maybe row lock it, just for balance!

Actually, I'm sure it'll be the first thing they reveal tomorrow.

No doubt ST art will be beautiful, stunning and amazing art as it always has. My fear is, ST will get the most contrived hard to pull off to get nominal value cards as it has always got. The PTSD of all ST mains from the recents patches and the expansions. We will get to know in next couple of days, but I am already scared of what might come to ST.
How was it hard for the Way of the Witcher ST cards to get value ? Gezras, Cat Witchers and so on were top tier back then, weren't they? Then they have Nature's Gift which also isn't super bad. The faction is in a rough spot now, but it wasn't always like that.

How was it hard for the Way of the Witcher ST cards to get value ? Gezras, Cat Witchers and so on were top tier back then, weren't they? Then they have Nature's Gift which also isn't super bad. The faction is in a rough spot now, but it wasn't always like that.
No, the movement archetype never actually worked out. Cat Witchers were nerfed before they ever managed to get to T1, and the highest Gezras ever reached was as part of Nature's Gift and Elves decks, which were both T2. Despite all the moaning to the contrary, neither Gezras nor Broover ever managed to become "broken." The cards are strong, but the archetypes they synergize with are not.

No, the movement archetype never actually worked out. Cat Witchers were nerfed before they ever managed to get to T1, and the highest Gezras ever reached was as part of Nature's Gift and Elves decks, which were both T2. Despite all the moaning to the contrary, neither Gezras nor Broover ever managed to become "broken." The cards are strong, but the archetypes they synergize with are not.
Well, I remember this differently. Whether a deck is Tier 1 or 2 is of course a little bit subjective, but I remember some lists where movement was at least good tier 2 (which is already more than one can ask for) or even 1. I think this was back then when Viy was one of the strongest decks too.

I like the Master of Puppets, its true it has an insane point potential but finally a card that makes players think outside the box on how to optimize it and find quirky interactions.
Yes, but this card may just point at the real issue which is bronze cards able to reach insane values...

GS has been nerfed because they were able to easly go beyond 10, but Hamadryad, sea jackall, MO piggys etc...
All these bronzes cards with no point limits create the "High Power potential" of Master of Puppets , otherwise MoP would just be a correct card.

Yes, but this card may just point at the real issue which is bronze cards able to reach insane values...

GS has been nerfed because they were able to easly go beyond 10, but Hamadryad, sea jackall, MO piggys etc...
All these bronzes cards with no point limits create the "High Power potential" of Master of Puppets , otherwise MoP would just be a correct card.
Yeah but you need to invest in those cards for them to get that value. Hamadryad by herself is just 4 points + Symbiosys, you gotta use leader or nature specials to get her to high value. And then after you've invested 2 cards + 1 leader charge BAM the dude just yoinks it with A SINGLE 5 provision bronze. So that's value of 3 cards + a leader charge for example yoinked by 1 bronze card and all the PM had to do was survive a single turn.
And if opponent uses valuable removal on it, then later your (for example) Cahir, Damien, Syanna, Stefan Skelen, Regis Higher Vampire, Vattier or some other GOLD card with a powerful order (which might ironically end up weaker the PM's order lol) ability has significantly more chances of surviving.

Last edited:
I like the new legendary card, I feel like it could be very strong if you find a really good target to give Spying to. Maybe he's a little bit too match-up dependent to be included in every NG deck. The Master of Puppets on the other hand is, at least for me, a perfect example for what is wrong with Gwent at the moment. Of course, you can expect every deck to have at least a little bit of control, but I'm really fed up with cards that play for a ridiculous amount of points if left unanswered, maybe simply because you didn't draw your damage cards. The list is quite long, but the most important ones at the moment are stuff like Koshchey, Cahir, Foltest, Coral, Gezras and now this guy (when I first saw this card I thought that it had to be a gold). And when these keep getting released it's just no wonder that everyone and their mother is playing NG. Because no one wants to get cheaply clapped by a single bronze that HAS to be answered immediately.

Yeah but you need to invest in those cards for them to get that value. Hamadryad by herself is just 4 points + Symbiosys, you gotta use leader or nature specials to get her to high value. And then after you've invested 2 cards + 1 leader charge BAM the dude just yoinks it with A SINGLE 5 provision bronze. So that's value of 3 cards + a leader charge for example yoinked by 1 bronze card and all the PM had to do was survive a single turn.
And if opponent uses valuable removal on it, then later your (for example) Cahir, Damien, Syanna, Stefan Skelen, Regis Higher Vampire, Vattier or some other GOLD card with a powerful order (which might ironically end up weaker the PM's order lol) ability has significantly more chances of surviving.
Yes. Thats what i am taking.

You need to let your counter cards for the final because your opponent can use a cheap bronze and steal your engine, while He abuse with The other golds untouch.

But I Will say, this new card wont be meta, but it will change The game.

Everyone will stop to use bronze engines and use only Deploy and/or damage units.

But, like i said in One of my first posts, its like devs whant this, kill all the engines and let only Deploy and control cards

Seems it won't. Can't find a dev source saying that, but I can find a comment saying there is one (and it seems like a dumb thing to make up, so I believe it's true). The revealer also says the same.
Hmm. Then they should change the description of the card, I guess. :think:
Because "play a special card, then draw a card" seems like the right sequencing for the Yen combo.

I mean, why not describe it like this - Deploy: Draw a card, then play a special card from your hand.

Last edited:
So far we have seen cards for two factions (NR and NG) in this third of the expansion, and already I have serious concerns:

1. Power creep is dangerously high — and it’s not that any particular card feels totally op; it’s that the total pattern of cards tenders a lot of older cards and archetypes obsolete. There are multiple problems with this: power creep is hard on newer players who lack resources to keep up with the latest cards; power creep tends to narrow the spectrum of playable decks, stifling creativity and variety; power creep makes matches much more swingy, which increases match RNG and decreases the value of quality play.

I understand the desire to regularly shake up the meta as well as to promote investment in new cards — but I believe a far better approach is to develop new and stronger synergies with each faction rather than simply making new cards significantly better than old cards.

2. The new cards significantly support binary archetypes that are already very powerful, while disabling a lot of off meta archetypes that are often more strategic. NR patience mages were already very dangerous with ability to develop and use very powerful orders multiple times. We did not need additional bronze patience mages; we did not need additional support for patience units.

NG is even worse. Every new card synergizes best with the archetypes that revolve around masquerade ball, which is already a ridiculous card. Facing status based NG is all about having the right removal at the right time and rarely gives interesting or strategic matches.

And cards from both factions either support removal or demand removal — which is already far too prevalent. Engines — at least boost engines — and power point slam are effectively dead with greater ability to replay ban ard students and potential for cheap seizes of high power cards. The fewer cards that stick on the board, the fewer unique, strategic options available.

3. Despite significantly improved power levels, deck polarization is still more strongly promoted. The good NR bronze cards of the price of power expansion require expensive gold card enablers. And master of puppets (although otherwise an interesting card) prevents reliance on any bronze units for substantial points — no matter how carefully set up. But deck polarization is a major factor in reduced deck variety.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc

rrc

Forum veteran
When Cat Witchers were revealed I said in the forum that it was one of the best cards revealed. It lived for one month in the good state and got immediately nerfed in the next patch and made it so-and-so. The movement archetype was good and viable and competitive for one month before making it Tier 4 or plus.

Getting value from Gezras is not as easy as other Legendary cards. Gezras needs a long round, needs units to live. And if you don't already know, ST can never match ANY faction in a long round as all their engines are subpar to other faction engines (they are all combo based.. needs multiple engines to live to get value and remove one of them, the efficiency of the engines become sub-par). Koshey has Adrenaline of 4 and both Cat Witcher and Gezras has Adrenaline 3 :giveup:

Geatan was considered broken (I constantly refuted those claims and where is he now? When did you see Cat Witcher Mentor? Sabouter and even Adept)? Take Fransesca.. she needs 3 special cards to be played to get value and I had played her at least 25+ times before giving up and she barely managed to survive in 2 or 3 games. The 5P card that plays a special card can't be added in deck unless you have ways to boost her.. one damage and she is dead. I can keep adding more.. but ST cards have to strive hard to get values other factions can easily get.

I have to agree with rrc about the newer ST cards from this and previous expansion.

The nerf to Cat Witcher was not really great as that card was not really as oppressive as VWM was when he was made Adrenaline 3. The developers stressed that they wanted to make movement ST competitive, but then ruined it completely with the nerf to Cat Witcher, its most efficient bronze card.

I agree also on Gezras. You do not get immediate value on deploy with him as you get with other gold cards from other factions. Most of the time you only get him to boost your units once, only for it to be removed afterwards. The value you get out of him depends on 1) how many units you have on your ranged row and 2) how many units your opponent has on his melee row. I think he should get an Adrenaline 4 as Koshchey has. Koshchey has received a rather insane buff when Larvas were made 2 power, so 1 more adrenaline to Gezras won't bite.

Gaetan is a rather mid-rangy card and he was never really a staple, except in the first weeks when people were testing him. In theory he could provide good value but when he was introduced, ST was in a bit of a swarmy meta and if you were not careful, you could not play him for full value.

The most mindboggling decision was to make Francesca the ST version of Queen Meve. I don't get what the developers are thinking. They introduced Alzur with the whole counter thing and he never gets any play. They introduced Queen Meve with the counter and she never got any play even after she got reworked. Now they added Francesca with the same mechanic and... she rarely if any at all gets played. Conditional cards with counters in a game that is more and more dependent on instant value generation simply won't work.

Sorceress and Whisperer suffer from the same issue. You do not get instant value out of them. One needs to get damaged by 1 to have its order disabled if you can't buff it. The other needs to wait another turn for you to use a special to get value. Very bad design and very badly thought mechanics. WotW aside, the first installment of PoP for ST was awful. The only thing good about the ST cards from PoP is the art.

Last edited:
Yay, my favourite GWENT streamer got to kick off ST reveals.
1627037576757.png

(His video. Worth watching, it's great.)

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc

rrc

Forum veteran
View attachment 11238925

Beautiful Art - Check
Contrived - Check
Nominal Value - Check
So, ST card? - Check

May be the other bronze card is something good which will make her good, but limited to bronze special card which can give 5 (if ST) or 6 (if neutral :D) and only limited to boosting special card (or copy self bronze card if the next bronze is such, which I highly highly doubt). Exactly what I would expect from an ST reveal. Playing AR hoping this should survive is NOT viable (but a streamer wil do it for fun for sure)

A good promising start for ST standard cards!

I don't remember where the art was initially revealed, but it definitely is not never-before-seen.

Interesting that the first reveal was not the Legendary like with NR and NG. For those two the Rare was revealed on the second day, so I guess the ST Epic will also be revealed today.

Last card drop NG was the odd one out with reveal order, iirc, and this time it looks like ST might be.

The Cat Witcher nerf was one of the greatest decisions in Gwent balance history since that card was just giving insane amounts of value, and not just any value but REMOVAL VALUE (in adition to movement synergy ofc) which is the best kind of value we can get. I do not miss those times when the exact same ST movement deck was 50% of all games I got matched against. -_-
I mean I saw people playing a 7 provision Necromancy just to get more of these! Imagine the utter devilry they would cause if paired with the silly Megascope shenanigans! 👺
The fact that you think this card isn't so great rn (which I still disagree with) just shows the amount of power creeping that goes on.
And the buff to Koschey through giving 2 power larvas was simply silly and unnecesairy.
Post automatically merged:

View attachment 11238925

Infinite Teleportations incoming? Kek

Last edited:
Had the same thought, but I suspect it won't be possible. Or if it is they'll hotfix it fast because it'd break the game.

Why infite teleportation. You play Teleportation and target elven seer. Then one elven seer is spawned and one played and this was it.

Top Bottom