Enemies that fire badly?

+
I don't begin to have the reactions to play FPS type games any more.
So to me they're nothing but an exercise in frustration and futility.

Those that like (and can play) them I'm sure enjoy them.

Ah, yes that's me in battlefield 4 last night. Jeebus, am I bad. Die...die....hide..die. I play it because a) driving tanks and choppers is fun and b) at 2560x1600 High or better res, it's really very pretty.

I'm convinced my superior cleverness will someday win the map for me and my side. Someday. Perhaps tomorrow!

As long as the game has a variant level of AI for different NPSs, or even categories of NPCs (like, soldiers are trained for combat situations, they're pretty good shots, miss occasionally, through to some looser poser gang who aren't known for their prowess with a gun, only hit someone occasionally), I'll be happy. If everyone is a crack shot, or couldn't hit the broad side of a skyscraper, then it would be somewhat annoying.

I've yet to see any game that comes even close to modeling "real" shooting.

FYI I'm a retired US Marine who spent another 12 years as a cop after my service.
So one would hope I have some idea what I'm talking about on this subject (as opposed to the arm-chair commandos that usually comment so rabidly on this subject).

Other then snipers most real-life shooting involves:
1) Fleeting glimpses of your opposition
2) Being shot back at
3) A considerable amount of tension/fear on your part
4) Many, many other variables

None of these makes for typical game marksmanship (hitting 25-90% of the time).

Does this mean I want my character to have to haul a wagon load of ammo around and game firefights to last 5 minutes without a hit be either side?
Heck no.
But please, please don't assume game shooting has more then superficial resemblance to real life.

Not to be rude , but your post basically amounted to

"I have so much experience, and I can tell you that "realistic" games do not reflect reality. .":

this does not require military experience to know.

I served in the army, I actually like military-themed games and so did a lot of the guys that were in my unit so I'm not sure where this apparent strong dislike for them come from . It might be a generation thing but the people that did play games didn't play single player RPGs in the barracks or the mess. They played skill-based games (mainly military shooters).

Realism is a generally desirable feature, regardless of the genre (or the media) because of suspension of disbelief.

Also, you're attacking a huge strawman. No one implied or said the opposite.

"Movies are real life with the boring parts cut out" -Alfred hitchcock

By design, you have to leave out details that wouldn't make a fun game.

I would not play a historical game if it didn't model historical events. Would you play an NHL video game if it didn't try to at least mimic an NHL game?

Modeling real life simply make for great gameplay mechanics in a lot of cases. And that's what the bottom line really is.

You could be the reincarnation of George patton. It would not change a thing. The style of gameplay you advocated in your other posts is terribly outdated.

Not to be rude , but your post basically amounted to

"I have so much experience, and I can tell you that "realistic" games do not reflect reality. .":

On the other hand, it could simply mean

"I don't begin to have the reactions to play FPS type games any more.

Those that like (and can play) them I'm sure enjoy them."

So maybe we should burn down all of the strawmen. :)

On the other hand, it could simply mean

"I don't begin to have the reactions to play FPS type games any more.

Those that like (and can play) them I'm sure enjoy them."

So maybe we should burn down all of the strawmen. :)

Sorry I menat to reference his/her post on page 2, I fixed it.

I apologise on behalf of everyone. To everyone.

Careful! Do not scare Suhiir off! He or she seems relatively sane and well, old. I like old. IT'S PRECIOUS AROUND HERE.

And she's in salt lake which is 30 min away from me and probably my only chance to play the pnp!

And yes, I say she, because unless she introduces herself otherwise she is naughty tinkerbell. Just like how 227 is a whale, dragonbird is a dragonbird, and wisdom is a sexbot.

wisdom is a sexbot.

Didn't read the whole thread, but of all the bullets fired by the police in the video, I think only 2 hit the stationary lovely lady and some miss by a long ways. In war there is something like 10,000 bullets fired for every enemy kill.

And she's in salt lake which is 30 min away from me and probably my only chance to play the pnp!

And yes, I say she, because unless she introduces herself otherwise she is naughty tinkerbell. Just like how 227 is a whale, dragonbird is a dragonbird, and wisdom is a sexbot.

I happen to be very fond of my naughty Tinkerbelle avatar.

As to PnP ... I've played, and run just about everything at one point or another.
Favorites include - Harn (somewhat modified), Providence, and Vampire: Masquerade.

Sorry it took me so long to notice and reply to your post, I should probably check this site more often but with the game due in maybe 2015 I only do so about once a month.

Top Bottom