Need some help from the elders of the community.

+
Need some help from the elders of the community.

I have a theory about gamers and the possible future onset of Alzheimer's disease. Having two aunts, who have been diagnosed, piqued my interest (and no uncertain amount of personal concern) in this disease. This is purely personal and not scientific, even though some aspects may seems so. College habits die hard.

Theory: The gamer community will have reduced incident of Alzheimer's disease than those outside the community.

While the gamer population ages, I have noticed that we don't stop playing (another theory that has, for me, been proven correct. Videogames are Interactive Entertainment.). This aspect, especially MMOs, fulfill two aspects of a brain healthy lifestyle: social interaction and mental stimulation. Even a stand alone RPG can fulfill, minimally, some social interaction. How many times has anyone laughed, cried, became angry (not at game function, but a plot device), sad, happy, or whatever due to the story in a game? If Mordin's final act in Mass Effect 3 didn't move you, go see a shrink.

Anyway, on to my questions:
(feel free to answer any or all questions. Highly personal questions are at the bottom. Feel free not to answer those)
(1-5) is the standard scale 1 = never or minimally 5 = always or excessively

• Are you or anyone you know over 50 who play videogames?
  • Is there a history of Alzheimer's within this person's family?
  • Is there a history of other mental illnesses in the family?
  • Has this person been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease?
  • If so, what stage? How quickly has each stage onset?
  • How many hours, approximately, are played in stand alone games?
  • How many hours, approximately, are played in MMOs?

• Rate this person's work/stress level: (1-5)
  • Rate this person's physical activity: (1-5)
  • Rate this person's diet: (1-5)
  • Rate this person's social activity: (1-5)
  • Rate this person's television viewing: (1-5)
  • Does this person take dietary supplements?
  • This person drinks caffeine or energy boosting drinks (1-5)?
  • What are the average amount of hours of sleep a night?
  • Has this person ever had a head injury (1-5)?
  • Does this person have a television or computer in their bedroom?

• This person smokes cigarettes: (1-5)?
  • This person drinks alcohol: (1-5)?
  • Is this person prescribed any psychotropics (i.e. valium, xanax, or any -azepam suffix drugs)?
  • Has this person used illegal drugs (including prescription drugs not prescribed to them)?
  • If so, did they include psychotropics (i.e. MDMA, cocaine, amphetamines, opoids [opiates], LSD, salvia, nitrous oxide)?

Again this is totally personal and non-scientific collection of data.
Thanks for any and all your help and input.

Interesting theory statement. My wife's father was diagnose with the disease and didn't fit any of the profiles that would make him a high risk. He was health, exercised everyday, ate well, was very social (everyone knew him in town), read everyday, had a beer a day(which according to some studies helps prevent it). He was a car salesman before he retire at 62 and was diagnosed at 63. It was a very bad time for the 4 years he lived through the disease. He was in a study at Yale. We hope that what he did helps others.

Your theory isn't that gamers will be immune to it or stop the disease from happening, it just that it will slow the disease. The more stuff in your brain you have, the longer it will take for Alzheimer's to destroy what's there. My wife is more knowledgeable about this, she still maintains a blog she created during her dad's bout.
http://alzheimersdad.blogspot.com/

I wish you and your family the best. Cherish the times that are good and use them to boost you up during the bad ones.

Top Bottom