How can I learn better English?

+
How can I learn better English?

Hi, who don't know me, will know me. I love Cyberpunk and I love other games (mainly RPG-games) and I want to speak with you, with other Cyberpunk-fans and more game fans, but all pages about games and mainly Cyberpunk 2077 are in English language. I like this language I'm good in it (I think), but I want to speak with you normally without translates and more stupid things. And my question thus is "How to speak English and how to learn English more"? I want write my ideas about next RPG = Cyberpunk 2077. I can't, I have mistakes and I don't understand to you...:(

Thank you for answers, help and for understanding. I'm only 14 years old (I know it, I must be than 18-years oldy, but I'm waiting for this game all my stupid and strange life. I need to learn English more, but I want to speed it up. :)

Well, i'm not a native English speaker either and my English is not perfect, but even the native speakers make ton of mistakes.. (Occasionally i find myself correcting their mistakes.. It is just a bad habit though..) My motto is, you live and you learn.. My English comes from playing games, watching English movies without any subtitles (i used to watch them with English subs) and when i was little i would play Cyberpunk 2020 with some English speaking friends.. I would recommend you to do exact same thing.. Try to watch movies without relying on subtitles, try to play games that way.. It will help you learn faster.. (You are only 14, you will get better, just give it some time, trust me..)

Also, if you are not sure about how to word what you want to say, try to word it another way.. It should help..

but even the native speakers make ton of mistakes.. (Occasionally i find myself correcting their mistakes.. It is just a bad habit though..).

Impossible. I don't make mistakes.

When does this correcting happen, Wars? WHENNNN. I wish to see it. No, Animal doesn't count, are you kidding? I'm pretty sure he's not a native Earthian speaker. Betelgeusian, maybe...have you seen that mustache? Which may or may not actually be his?

Like any skill, Lelanka, just do it more and you will improve. Write and speak and listen.

Impossible. I don't make mistakes.

When does this correcting happen, Wars? WHENNNN. I wish to see it. No, Animal doesn't count, are you kidding? I'm pretty sure he's not a native Earthian speaker. Betelgeusian, maybe...have you seen that mustache? Which may or may not actually be his?

Like any skill, Lelanka, just do it more and you will improve. Write and speak and listen.

I call that fiddlesticks! And NO! NO no NO noo noooo.. I refuse to give any names.. You can't make me.. Nuh-huh..

I believe animal stole that mustache from a Betelgeusian.. I'm sure of it in fact..

Also, you often make mistakes.. Just your split personality doesn't allow you to see them.. Yes.. For instance, Sard, you use too many "and"s in a sentence.. While it is not incorrect per se, it is really.. not.. really.. entirely correct.. Yes.. :D

And it is "When" not "WHENNNN".. (I know i cheat.. I know.. :D )

I'm English and I'll say this now: I know plenty of other English people who don't seem to be capable of speaking or understanding the English language.

But yrs, best way to improve a skill is to use it. Practice makes perfect. Play a few games and hang with people on teamspeak. That's a good way to pick up language skills.

The way I learned:

• Watch cartoons spoken in English, without subtitles. Used to watch these on Sky Channel and Super Channel via our cable provider as a kid.
  • Watch TV-series spoken in English, without subtitles. Same as above, as well as a couple other cable channels (for example MTV Europe.)
  • Watch movies spoken in English, without subtitles. Same as above, plus Filmnet. Lots of movies on tape as well, some subtitled.
  • Listen to music with English singing. Preferably something you can make out. Also look at the lyrics online.
  • Play games in English. I've been playing games on Amiga/PC/Sega MegaDrive (Genesis) and later other consoles for as long as I can remember.
  • Read stuff (RPG manuals, books, comics) in English.
  • Play online games in English. I personally started out in a certain MUD which was in English, and had a lot of Americans on it.
  • Chat in English. This is extremely important. This is how you learn. I started out chatting in IRC, the MUD I was playing, and forums. Then later online PC games.
  • Be a stickler about grammar. If there's a grammar police, you better be it. Incredibly useful in learning the language.
  • Avoid everything that's subtitled. You might think it's great to see what the words mean while you hear them, but it'll actually hinder you.
  • Avoid dubbed stuff like the plague.
  • Talk to yourself in English. Been doing this for as long as I can remember.
  • Love the language. I personally fell in love with the language simply because I love escapism; movies, TV, music, games... Everything was in English.
  • Don't let your teachers guide you wrong. I had the worst English teachers imaginable.

You have to immerse yourself in the language, and you have to want to learn it. I studied Russian for five years no ya ne govoryu po russki khorosho. I mean, I can read Cyrillic, I know some phrases, I remember some words here and there, I know some of the grammar rules, but I seriously don't know the language. That was five years in my teens that didn't teach me a fraction of a year or two in my preteens taught me about English.

Or, you can just sit in class, listen to the teachers, study the language from books, and end up writing and speaking the language clearly like a foreigner. Up to you.

Coming from one of the country,or THE country,where you use your body more than your mouth,i would reccomend to watch movies and series in the original language with subs,it help to check the spelling and the pronuntiation.
however,now i'm tryn to master my 4th language and i find myself doing the same mistakes over and over. Cause i'm a dick in my own grammar....

I'm an English speaker but you'd be surprised at how I type and talk sometimes. I think you are doing better than most, maybe even better than I could do in non-native tongue I would try.

Hi, who don't know me, will know me. I love Cyberpunk and I love other games (mainly RPG-games) and I want to speak with you, with other Cyberpunk-fans and more game fans, but all pages about games and mainly Cyberpunk 2077 are in English language. I like this language I'm good in it (I think), but I want to speak with you normally without translates and more stupid things. And my question thus is "How to speak English and how to learn English more"? I want write my ideas about next RPG = Cyberpunk 2077. I can't, I have mistakes and I don't understand to you...:(

Thank you for answers, help and for understanding. I'm only 14 years old (I know it, I must be than 18-years oldy, but I'm waiting for this game all my stupid and strange life. I need to learn English more, but I want to speed it up. :)
Your English is just fine, and MUCH better than my non-existent Czech. ;-)

Pretty sure he would do better in his non native language than I would, since my multilingual skills are nearly non-existent.

Wars, the reason you employ sequential conjunctions like that is for pacing reasons. Typically, you would use a comma, of course, such as "write, speak and listen".

However, if you wish to pace the sentence differently, you might employ another method. "Write. Speak. Listen." Although not typically used, it's not uncommon to see constructions like that in fiction or even general writing.

Newspapers aren't a bad source for solid rules, but many are edited in a particular manner, one aimed at conciseness and a sense of journalistic coherence.

You may also begin a sentence with "and", if you like.

My English is far from perfect - but that is because no one has perfect English. It grows and changes too fast. As my father, the English and Socials teacher, used to say, "it is the people who get it wrong who will define the language tomorrow, son. Not us."

Pretty sure he would do better in his non native language than I would, since my multilingual skills are nearly non-existent.

Wars, the reason you employ sequential conjunctions like that is for pacing reasons. Typically, you would use a comma, of course, such as "write, speak and listen".

However, if you wish to pace the sentence differently, you might employ another method. "Write. Speak. Listen." Although not typically used, it's not uncommon to see constructions like that in fiction or even general writing.

Newspapers aren't a bad source for solid rules, but many are edited in a particular manner, one aimed at conciseness and a sense of journalistic coherence.

You may also begin a sentence with "and", if you like.

My English is far from perfect - but that is because no one has perfect English. It grows and changes too fast. As my father, the English and Socials teacher, used to say, "it is the people who get it wrong who will define the language tomorrow, son. Not us."

You don't get it Sard, you are wrong, simply because i'm always right.. :D As i stated, i know both uses are correct, but i can't help but feel that is is wrong, because that's the way i've learned..

It is good to remember though, that while it's important that you know correct grammar, and even if you do, you don't have to use it.

chatting online helps, reading helps, english speaking friends help, movies, tv...

the problem with some european countries is that they dub every single american tv show instead of subbing them, so people dont hear what the language sounds like. its retarded.

If you live close to the borders of whatever country you live in you may get some subbed foreign channel. I get either slovenian subbed english movies or english subbed randomness.

read and write as much as possible

Reading and writing (typing) helps tremendously in learning the language so you can read and write it. It doesn't really help in speaking the language, or understanding spoken language, at all. That's why it's very important to immerse yourself in the spoken language through movies, TV, games, music and so on, and very important to speak it yourself as well.

If you want to become a fluent speaker of a language, you have to hear it, and you have to speak it. Written word only takes you so far. I know this from personal experience. I had become very fluent in written English, reading and typing it pretty much effortlessly, but I realized quite fast, when having to actually speak the language, that suddenly my language skills were gone. It took me a while, even with a 10/10 school English and being very adept in the written side of things, to become confident and comfortable in understanding when people spoke to me, and speaking back to them.

It didn't really help that one of my first real connection to actual native English speakers were a bunch of Liverpudlians. Well, they weren't actually from Liverpool, but from the very nearby area. One of them, though, had an incredibly heavy Scouse accent and the other people in that group told me that even they couldn't always understand him. :cool:

Forum veteran
I'm English and I'll say this now: I know plenty of other English people who don't seem to be capable of speaking or understanding the English language.
These two sentences belong together; I see so many misspelled words and awkwardly-phrased sentences in newspapers lately that it would probably be a horrible place to learn from. Even the huge online ones (cough CNN.com cough) are often littered with mistakes. My theory is that they cut back on proofreaders because they're not making money anymore, which would explain why it seems to be becoming more and more common. Either that, or we have an incredibly lazy and underachieving snatcher invasion on our hands.

I'm not multilingual, but it's worth mentioning that I learned a lot of the English words I know from comic books that I read while growing up. Not only is that a fun way to learn new words, but it comes with an amusingly awkward period of not understanding the unspoken weight of certain ones, making everything you say sound like either a diabolical diatribe or heroic monologue. Good times.

Alternatively, you could just wait a few years. The way things are going with Twitter and texting, the average native speaker's grasp of the language will eventually reach such a low level that stringing together any half-understandable slurry of words will make one seem like a master.

I had become very fluent in written English, reading and typing it pretty much effortlessly, but I realized quite fast, when having to actually speak the language, that suddenly my language skills were gone. It took me a while, even with a 10/10 school English and being very adept in the written side of things, to become confident and comfortable in understanding when people spoke to me, and speaking back to them.
Given your written English, I never would have guessed that you had any struggles with the spoken language.

I find that interesting; that there's different processes for written and spoken fluency in a language.

Top Bottom