The Unexpressed Potential of CP77 (a constructive discussion)

+
I think most of us can agree that what CDPR did with Cyberpunk 2077 is a great achievement in many aspects. From the story to the music to the artistic design, there's something to be loved by nearly everyone.

That's why i wish the game gets expanded with a more or less frequent stream of updates - i'm taking about CONTENT here and NEW MECHANICS.

So, what do you think could make this game REALLY express its full potential? What kind of addition could make you feel more invested in it?

I for one am waiting for more interactivity between V and the city. I'm not talking about sandbox elements like Barbers and whatnot. I'm talking about feeling a part of the city. People who reacts to you accordingly to your reputation, for example. Or gang leaders being pissed because you killed too many of their men, who actually send goons to pursue you throughout the city.

I'd like to see Trauma Team work as an in-game mechanic. You should have the option to subscribe a contract with them, and get resurrected when you get randomly killed on the streets (not indoors or during main missions, because that would be more hard to implement). To keep it from becoming something too OP, there should be a limited number of times you can get resurrected, before having to pay eddies to renew the insurance.

Your move. What could make this game shine even more?

Last edited:
I'm afraid the game we currently have is all we are going to get. I don't see CDPR giving us the the game "they promised" as the new head claimed. It's been what 7-8 months and modders have already done more than a fully staffed developer has. I hate to be cynical about it, but this is not going to be the next no man's sky. They release DLC that might add small elements of the things promised, but nothing that will completely change the game.

It's a good game for what it is, but don't expect any great miracle and just enjoy what they and the modders have given us.

I'm afraid the game we currently have is all we are going to get. I don't see CDPR giving us the the game "they promised" as the new head claimed. It's been what 7-8 months and modders have already done more than a fully staffed developer has. I hate to be cynical about it, but this is not going to be the next no man's sky. They release DLC that might add small elements of the things promised, but nothing that will completely change the game.

It's a good game for what it is, but don't expect any great miracle and just enjoy what they and the modders have given us.

You completely missed the point of the thread. I'm not talking about taking the NMS route or "completely" change the game. Just things that could make it better. I want to keep this discussion on the positive side, for a change.

If you haven't anything to contribute to the topic, then... Don't. :)

If you compare CP77 with say Fallout 76 in terms of dramatic launch then you might jump to a conclusion of "no, its potential is too far to late", but that might be a bit to harsh i think. While just like FO76, the game did very poorly in many ways at launch, that often can have long lasting issues of missing trust by those who were disappointed by it. But unlike FO76, i do believe CP77 has a much more solid bases on which can be built to realize it's hidden potential. Overall it has a much better world and interesting lore. Most of the game mechanics were there, even if the bugs didn't help, and despite a feeling of having just that one thing missing the whole time, i do believe that with future content it can reach the potential it has.

Compare that to FO76, which is far shy of all of that, i do believe CP77 can avoid the slow death that game is having, i still believe CDPR can deliver on what they have shown they can with the witcher series, make DLC and expansions that add to a game, not subtract from it.

PS: i referance FO76 only because of the similar way both games launch was a disaster.

An official toolset.

Given what modders have accomplished without one, imagine what could be accomplished WITH one.

My shortlist:

new housing
new vehicles (potentially even flying ones)
new quests and gigs
faction modifications
custom PC assets
new worldspaces and locations

Maybe even go the Bethesda route of integrating a manner of pushing QoL mods to console users.

Would surely make the game infinitely better. There's a reason why Oblivion, Fallout: New Vegas, Skyrim, and Fallout 4 have sizable fanbases who still play them almost non-stop. And it's certainly not the quality of their vanilla content :ROFLMAO:

Show more of the illegal side of Mox, Aldecaldos and VDB (It's obvious in the plot but not in the open world), such as adding their NCPD scanner questes, you can see Mox protection racketing, Aldecaldos smuggling and VDB blackmailing.

Improve the plot status of Scavengers, the most potential and tragic gang. Scavs has a very mysterious introduction, before I know the game plot, I thought they had lots of badasses who couldn't even reveal their names, but, in fact, there's only three "plot Scavs" - Sergei, Jae-Hyun, Roman. Though the latter two are high-ranking, the plot status of the three of them is not even comparable to that a Nash from Wraiths.
But I think the Pacifica DLC that was found to be under development may be improve their plot status. Maybe if helped Sergei, he would appear on the DLC
If you help him, the money will be reduced by half, but the difficulty of helping Alex is not higher
So I suspect this is a foreshadowing

1. New quest content with triggers from interesting conversations found throughout the city. Think of it as a reward for players actively exploring the city. To offer some examples....

You stop for a minute to eavesdrop on Afterlife Mercs planning a job and if you listen for a set time interval it acts as a quest trigger for another NPC lurking about to approach, tap you on the shoulder and attempt to convince you to snipe it out from under them.

Add a way to approach and converse with these random Mercs in an attempt to join ranks with them via interactive means (dialogue).

Overhear NPC's talking about a delivery they have arriving and add in a quest trigger to hijack the shipment if you successfully listen to the entire conversation without being noticed.

I'm sure you could run wild with ideas. A lot of these interesting conversations already exist in the game. Adding more ways to interact with them and open up quest opportunities could add more life to the city.

2. More lifepath stuff with unique outcomes.

By this I mean add or modify existing lifepath options so specific LP's can unlock stuff unavailable to the others. An example would be a piece of content where a Streetkid can fast talk their way out of a problem but a Corpo or Nomad cannot. The game already has rare circumstances where this does happen. Adding more of it could make the LP choice feel more important.

i would settle for a expanded world space honestly, but some cosmetic and quality of life things like changing apearance and new housing is on my wish list to.

Some "famous" Reddit dataminer found some code buried somewhere that hints at new missions from Mr. Hands. So it should absolutely be taken with a grain of salt.
Ok, I see... So it could also be a "rest" of a scrapped quest who could probably never be in the game.

Anyway, I'm thinking of something very simple that probably wouldn't change the game, but a simple cosmetic slot for clothes.
I think a lot of players would enjoy it (myself included, although I'm starting to figure out where to find clothes that I like in epic or legendary versions).
But it would avoid at least looking like a clown at the start of the game (like a very nice set including Corpo pants, a Maelstromer jacket, a motorcycle helmet, Cops glasses and ski boots...)

Anyway, I'm thinking of something very simple that probably wouldn't change the game, but a simple cosmetic slot for clothes.

This is a good suggestion, and i think it shouldn't be too hard to implement for the devs. Other games have this option, after all.
Post automatically merged:

1. New quest content with triggers from interesting conversations found throughout the city. Think of it as a reward for players actively exploring the city.
That would be great, and like you said, it would encourage active exploration, and keep fast travel usage to a minimum.

Let's not shit on CDPR's work regarding the game for the past 8 months. The problems with the game's four different variations were systemic and incredibly deep. The game flat out was not DONE when it was released and I don't mean in terms of missing features like acid rain, bribery, or wall running (which was cut for good reasons). No, it was not done in the fact that many people couldn't play the game without it crashing. I myself had over 30 crashes on my PS4.

30 dude.

They also had to deal with cyber-terrorists, a massive lawsuit, and Covid-19 so let's give some credit where credit is do. The additional year of bug fixing and product testing shouldn't be treated as a bad thing. Its frustrating but clearly the game shouldn't have been released in 2020 in the first place and what happens to the game itself will be determined AFTER they've said, "We've got the game working to the level we wanted to release it in."

Worked.

Not to its full potential.

Yeah, I'd like a THE TAKEN KING versus No Man's Sky style update or, to use a better example, THE WITCHER: ENHANCED EDITION but we'll have to see what that is like and that will require an entirely new drawing board and lots of planning that would be years in the making to begin with.

FUNCTIONAL.

I think most of us can agree that what CDPR did with Cyberpunk 2077 is a great achievement in many aspects. From the story to the music to the artistic design, there's something to be loved by nearly everyone.

That's why i wish the game gets expanded with a more or less frequent stream of updates - i'm taking about CONTENT here and NEW MECHANICS.

So, what do you think could make this game REALLY express its full potential? What kind of addition could make you feel more invested in it?

I for one am waiting for more interactivity between V and the city. I'm not talking about sandbox elements like Barbers and whatnot. I'm talking about feeling a part of the city. People who reacts to you accordingly to your reputation, for example. Or gang leaders being pissed because you killed too many of their men, who actually send goons to pursue you throughout the city.

I'd like to see Trauma Team work as an in-game mechanic. You should have the option to subscribe a contract with them, and get resurrected when you get randomly killed on the streets (not indoors or during main missions, because that would be more hard to implement). To keep it from becoming something too OP, there should be a limited number of times you can get resurrected, before having to pay eddies to renew the insurance.

I have some ideas but I actually think barbers are pretty cool so I don't think they'd be a bad idea. If I were to list things I'd like to see in the game in some hypothetical:

CYBERPUNK 2077: REBOOTED

* Acid Rain where you take mild damage as long as you're not in the weather.

* Replace the randomly generated crowds with pre-planned NPCs that would suck far less resources from the game but have more local character.

* Remove most of the food lying around and have you eat at the many food stalls around yourself.

* The ability to bribe cops to leave you alone for murder or whatnot.

* Car chases ala Grand Theft Auto and its many clones.

* The ability to customize V's apartment. This is something we're getting I believe.

* The ability to access your stash at Judy and Panam's place as well as River and Kerry's.

* The ability to buy the Mansion on top of your megabuilding in-game for 100K Eddies to give you something to buy other than cars.

* A garage where you can access all of your cars and possibly display them. Make use of the one beside your building maybe.

* A functioning monorail that you can jump on.

* The ability to re-customize your V's appearance at any Ripperdocs.

* Braindances that are short WATCH_DOGS-esque shorts that are humorous in nature like a Game of Thrones parody. They don't have to be long or interactive but just make it feel like the world is bigger.

* MAX-TAC, MILITECH, and TRAUMA TEAM quests.

* More Mox because the Mox are awesome. I include Mox weapons, jackets, clothes, and an apartment at their place.

Last edited:
You can pretend your topic is about what can make this game better while ignoring the truth the only thing that can make it better for 90%of the players is for the game that was promised to be delivered. Sorry my post triggered you. The game is what it is and nothing big is going to change that. As for what can make the game better, mods and they're doing just that but even they can't work miracles.

There was nothing negative about my post, so cool your feelings.

You can pretend your topic is about what can make this game better while ignoring the truth the only thing that can make it better for 90%of the players is for the game that was promised to be delivered. Sorry my post triggered you. The game is what it is and nothing big is going to change that. As for what can make the game better, mods and they're doing just that but even they can't work miracles.

I don't want the game they promised. I couldn't care less. I want more story and Night City. Because a good game is a good game regardless of whether it has a few missing features or not.

Ok man, whatever you say. :)

I want more story and Night City.

We're on the same boat. That's my number one request: new missions, new stories, are always the best way to enhance a rpg.

"Shine even more" is way too euphemistic and I'm 99% sure cdpr is happy with what they delivered so won't change pretty much anything except for some further bug fixing. That being said:

Realistically:
1) non working perks need to be fixed, or changed, or removed
2) change crafting
3) drastically nerf netrunning and piercing weapons
4) bug fixing (obvs)
5) the goddamn boxing quest
6) make me dress the way I want FFS

Non-realistically:
1) AI, for both enemies and pedestrians/cars
2) add lifepath exclusive content. Lots of it.

So impossibile it needs to go in their next game:
1) better integration of the main quest in the open world
2) choice and consequences at least to TW3 level. At least.
3) reconsider the looter shooter core. It's hateful and unimmersive
4) all of the above

Impossible even for their next games:
1) a functioning and reactive open world

Of course these are just the fundamental points, there's plenty of other (small and big) problems.

I would love the ability to bring one of the supporting characters along with you while you explore the city. Perhaps once you complete a supporting character's storyline (e.g., Judy, Kerry, Panam, River, Takemura, etc.), you could pick them up and then they would accompany you while you complete some of the simple activities, like the police scanner stuff that doesn't involve a lot of dialogue.

Don't get me wrong, I would love the ability to bring them along on gigs and have unique dialogue, but that would require additional voice work, which would probably be reserved for the bigger updates like the major expansions.

Top Bottom