My understanding of Cyberpunk 2077 release state dislike

+

"MY UNDERSTANDING OF CYBERPUNK 2077 RELEASE STATE DISLIKE"​

Agree with you as I didn't follow the hype either. People expect a perfectly functional game they paid for, which is logic of course, but don't exactly understand that games, once they're launched, can make a change of state, making it look it was released in a completely broken state.

Had a few crashes in the beginning, but after the game played perfectly fine since. Was just a bad series of circumstances the game launched the way it did.

I think it goes beyond that really.

Apparently, they started work on it before The Witcher 3 (8 years ago was when the first trailer hit) but to get that game ready they moved the entirety of the Cyberpunk 2077 team to work on TW3 to get it polished. Except the Cyberpunk 2077 release date never moved and they only stopped working on TW3 after Blood and Wine. Then suddenly they were like 3 years behind.

Given they got subsidiaries by the government, releasing in the state it is, is also kind of terrible.

I believe that CDPR can pull a "No Man's Sky" if people give them a chance to do so.

I keep hearing this NMS stuff being mentioned over and over again, both by the community and by the so-called "game journalists", as a comparison between the two games; but, as already mentioned by others on the forums, this is unlikely to happen. I won't explain the reasons, because it's already been said many, many times in detail, and in much better English than mine.

What i actually expected, and keep expecting, is a "The Witcher" type of post-launch support: so, small and medium dlcs, constant improvements across the board, patches, and one or two major expansions sometime down the line. Oh, and of course the next gen update. This is what is actually REALISTIC to expect from CDPR regarding a game this big in scope and ambition, and what they actually promised.

The thing is, they're quite late regarding dlcs and major improvements on the various game systems (AI, perks, etc.), and frankly, i'm starting to wonder what their PR office is payed for, if they just keep playing dead like that and avoid communication with the community. It almost looks like they constantly fear Twitter's whiney kids' backlash, so they keep their mouths closed to avoid that, but frankly, the rest of us mature people would love to actually be updated in a more transparent and official manner, not by leaks on Reddit.

I was actually more than happy with the game on launch. I had a mostly bug-free experience (well, of course i had bugs, just not game-breaking ones) across three playthroughs, and performance on Series X is more than acceptable. I had a lot of fun with the game, and i'm waiting for new content so i can have new incentives and start playing again, because i'm bored right now with this game in particular. Some new stuff could give me enough reasons to continue the Nomad run i recently started.

So, yeah, maybe i'm a little impatient, but it is so because i love the game, and want to love it even more.

I think most (like 80%) of the hate about the launch was because of the console versions, which had a way worse launch then the PC one. I personally bought it at launch for PC, and despite some weeks filled with a buggy mess of a game, i could still enjoy it somehow, so i was lucky. Console players however suffered a lot more, with some even outright being unable to play at all due to instability of the game. So i understand the hate for some, despite myself never having faced the more serious bugs like corrupted saves and seriously game breaking bugs.

Luckily they managed to fix the PC version rather quickly to a state were most bugs left were just minor nuisances or those that ruin immersion (lips not moving while someone talks, it still happens today), don't know how bad consoles had it though, but I'm guessing, not great. Still, i never regretted buying it at launch, compared to other games with disastrous launches, i feel that shows the games inherent potential outweighing the bugs.

As for what Maranares said above, yes i too believe that is more plausible then a NMS scenario. If CDPR has the confidence in the IP, then hopefully they will one day think of making a Cyberpunk sequel that does improve on the original game, but for now i expect DLC and Expansions to be what will drive the game forward.

I think the phrase "pull a No Man's Sky" has come to mean turn the game around and like Maranares I love the game and have loved the IP since the first pen and paper game came out in 1988.

We all hope they really pull a "No Man's Sky" comeback
this game is indeed a diamond in the rough, but unfinished, it needs thousands of 50+- GB patches for many years

at launch, PC version was just as bad as console versions

Last edited:
I think most (like 80%) of the hate about the launch was because of the console versions, which had a way worse launch then the PC one. I personally bought it at launch for PC, and despite some weeks filled with a buggy mess of a game, i could still enjoy it somehow, so i was lucky. Console players however suffered a lot more, with some even outright being unable to play at all due to instability of the game. So i understand the hate for some, despite myself never having faced the more serious bugs like corrupted saves and seriously game breaking bugs.

Luckily they managed to fix the PC version rather quickly to a state were most bugs left were just minor nuisances or those that ruin immersion (lips not moving while someone talks, it still happens today), don't know how bad consoles had it though, but I'm guessing, not great. Still, i never regretted buying it at launch, compared to other games with disastrous launches, i feel that shows the games inherent potential outweighing the bugs.

I'm of an entirely different mind. I would personally rather be reimbursed by CDPR than what I got with my PC version: Still a buggy, unfinished mess that had no less than 3 game-breaking bugs that forced me to restart my playthroughs losing countless hours of gameplay - and finally mothball the game in disgust awaiting slow fixes and improvements and communication that disappointed at every turn. Untapped potential, and there is admittedly a lot of it with Cyberpunk 2077 which is the reason I'm still lurking here, just serves to frustrate and act as a constant reminder not only to never to pre-purchase again, but to wait for actual trusted reviews. I have more faith in the modding community to fix this game than CDPR at this point.

I agree partially with you, eladrius. I, too, avoided the hype, only saw one early trailer (I hate spoilers, that's why I don't watch them) and pre-ordered it (a first for me).
There's a ton of thing I really love about this game, graphics, the world design per se, many of the NPCs' design, part of the plot,..., some things that just don' t bother me, like many of the bugs (I'm a Vampire Bloodlines gal, I know about playing and loving a raw, buggy game), repetitive missions and so on, but just three things I really hate (and I don't see how any of them could be fixed). That's
1) I bought the game at a time when it was described as RPG. As someone, who plays tabletop Cyberpunk for 20+ years I was especially curious and happy about this. And let's be honest: There's nothing really RPGamy about CP2077. Backgrounds don't matter, ingame behaviour doesn't matter, nothing is really ready for a RP-interaction, there are no NPCs or objects to freely interact with, nothing is customizable, you can't even sit down, and the world feels pretty lonely and empty because of these aspects.
2) I love Keanu Reeves, but the dimensions of Johnny Silverhand's role is super annoying and totally blown out of proportion. The game was supposed to be about V, but it ended up being about JS, with V being nothing but a puppet, JS's hand buried deep in their bleep. And that wouldn't be so bad if JS wasn't one of the most stereotypical, flat, two-dimensional characters. No real development, just the same angry, fed-up attitude from start to finish.
3) The endings are bs. To have 6 (or 7?) different endings, and it totally doesn't matter (like any other "choice" you made before) which one you chose, because it always leads to you choosing between plague or pestilence.

Until May I had spent 1589h ingame, and about 1000 hours have been driving around, listening to the radio, parcouring everywhere I could get and trying to get as much of the game done without starting The Heist, and I haven't logged in since. It's a nice game, but as it is, there's not much need for me to re-play it.

I'm going to wait for any real, game relevant updates and DLC, or for the release of Vigilance 2099.

Top Bottom