Communication and the Road Ahead

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Might be i dont know. Its a common trend with the gfx downscale so far tho. Witcher 3 also got a pretty big downscale in gfx before release. That was Red3 i think so im guessing red4 is more or less a upgraded red3. Might not run well on the older consoles at all? No clue just guessing here but something is causing it.

The hat tip was the graphical fidelity and level of asset streaming PRE-patches.

RedEngine 4 is certainly FAR more "punchy" than RedEngine 3 likely ever was. We'd already gotten a taste of it before these patches. And my guess is that they had barely even cracked the throttle on it at release (brand new, best not to push it too much right away). It's streaming capability was MUCH better at launch on a PC. They've done the opposite. And I can understand why they did it for consoles. But why they chose to do it to every platform across the board is anyone's guess.

But why they chose to do it to every platform across the board is anyone's guess.
Maybe for decreasing the number of crashes/bugs/Problems on any platforms without any distinction. In my opinion, it's the best way to do it fast and for everyone, whatever the specs. But only CDPR know and had their "good" reasons to do it :)
Another interesting post by @SigilFey on Patch 1.23

Last edited:
A spreadsheet built up and maintained of perks that work is very different from the reddit scuttlebutt and mischievous misinformation some put out. 160 upvotes for some guy claiming he had discovered a cut content secret tunnel, which turned out to be the nomad ending just they couldn't wait to put down the game shows some of the bias of those boards. I browse the reddits regular, the balanced stuff is very far and few between. It pays to double check sources and not just blindly believe everything and most people do take posts on faith especially if it agrees with them. if they didn't then headlines in national rags wouldn't be in the state they are in. I followed that perk spreadsheet since release.
Not to mention all the "game developers" and "industry insiders" who turned out to be trolls. One of the best things was how after those were debunked one after another there was a crowd that still maintained that managers and investors messed up the game, without batting an eye to the fact that sources were proven Illegitimate. LOL

There's also been a ton of things taken out of context, lot of youtubers and alike taking advantage from stirring up the pot and then making content from that, Redditors basically writing their content for them, pandemic influencing the economic situations of many people, I can see general idea being why the heck no.

If there's ever being a good excuse to media silence, part of the debacle that never was even intended to be constructive and just monetizing on what's popular. It's quite old method really, product doesn't even matter, what people say don't matter, only how much visibility it can provide, today, youtube channel or a blog.

Something like, on my Streetkid run I encountered a bug with panzer near the end game and it's something that can be very confusing and distracting, genuine issue, funny how nobody isn't interested about that even fixing that would improve experience quite a bit, but hey, it's not about that but the ads on site.

Last edited:
I mean, they had no way of knowing but Next Generation consoles are still a tiny portion of the viewer base due to the fact that supply chains for their production do not exist.

I'm still waiting for my PS PRO let alone 5.
From what Sony has released, the 5 should be easier to get soon since they secured enough hardware to hit 22+ million units sold since launch by the end of 2021 and another 20+ million in 2022.

From what Sony has released, the 5 should be easier to get soon since they secured enough hardware to hit 22+ million units sold since launch by the end of 2021 and another 20+ million in 2022.

Well we can hope but there's a good argument that CDPR probably thought the rollout would be less of a disaster because they assumed a large chunk of the fanbase would have upgraded.

Maybe for decreasing the number of crashes/bugs/Problems on any platforms without any distinction. In my opinion, it's the best way to do it fast and for everyone, whatever the specs. But only CDPR know and had their "good" reasons to do it :)
Ahh.... the old "let's screw everyone to save ourselves some work, or from needing to hire platform specific staff" defense. Always a "good" reason, I guess :rolleyes:

I think the problem is you assume people think communication is a priority for people who are sick and pissed off about the game's brokeness.

For a lot of us, the problem isn't telling us whether or not they're fixing X or Y but that X and Y isn't fixed yet.

If CDPR would release content and important updates in a steady and regular flow, then i would be more than happy to not get a single word from them, as long as i see things improving.

Problem is, the last substantial update was with 1.2. And it's been nearly 4 and a half months since that.

So, all we have now is faith. But since this is not some form of religion, faith is not enough for me. I want either them to release SOMETHING, or to ANNOUNCE something.

Again, they are taking TOO MUCH time for both of those things.

But you can keep being faithful and wait for another 4 months without batting an eyelid, if that works for you.

If CDPR would release content and important updates in a steady and regular flow, then i would be more than happy to not get a single word from them, as long as i see things improving.

Problem is, the last substantial update was with 1.2. And it's been nearly 4 and a half months since that.

So, all we have now is faith. But since this is not some form of religion, faith is not enough for me. I want either them to release SOMETHING, or to ANNOUNCE something.

But you can keep being faithful and wait for another 4 months without batting an eyelid, if that works for you.
what I want makes no difference, they have decided their policy and that's that, if they decide not to bring out anymore dlc or updates, then I wont be spending any money with them, faith has nothing to do with it.

what I want makes no difference, they have decided their policy and that's that
Maybe if more people would be vocal about what they want, then CDPR would feel like it's actually worth it to continue working on the game, because people actually ASK for active support and to be updated about what's going on. Just sayin'.

To be vocal and ask for updates and improvements is the perfect antidote to the people who say this game is already dead. If you just sit and wait, then in the end you are doing all those redditors and twitter users who want to see the game dead a favor, because you don't show you still care for the game enough to be impatient about new things being released or revealed.

I'm not insulting CDPR or moaning by asking for improvements, or at least by asking to be updated more regularly about the state of work. I'm just showing i care. That's what many of you fail to understand with that fatalistic "it will come when it will come" approach.

Last edited:
Might be i dont know. Its a common trend with the gfx downscale so far tho. Witcher 3 also got a pretty big downscale in gfx before release. That was Red3 i think so im guessing red4 is more or less a upgraded red3. Might not run well on the older consoles at all? No clue just guessing here but something is causing it.
As far as I can remember, there were two downscales of Witcher 3. One prior to release, where they figured out that the lightning system they used didn't scale properly up. This means that it was just too performance hungry, which is why they replaced it with a different one.
And the second alleged downscale being with patches to increase the performance. This pre-patch visual fidelity did not return to the game but they pushed the visual fidelity a bit further in Blood & Wine.

Thanks, this post was indeed interesting :)
From a technical perspective, the Red Engine seems to be avant-garde. However, it saddens me a bit that they weren't able to solve their LOD issues and I hope the next iteration uses a technique similar to Unreal's Nanite. (If Nanite turns out to be as good as promised...)

I see that in a similar manner and I very much agree that a consistent flow of patches would be the best way forward.

Generally, regarding the broken perks I would like to point out that Witcher 3 had broken perks as well that never got fixed by CDPR. Instead, they were either fixed and changed by GhostMode or made obsolete by the Enhanced Ediiton.

As far as I can remember, there were two downscales of Witcher 3. One prior to release, where they figured out that the lightning system they used didn't scale properly up. This means that it was just too performance hungry, which is why they replaced it with a different one.
And the second alleged downscale being with patches to increase the performance. This pre-patch visual fidelity did not return to the game but they pushed the visual fidelity a bit further in Blood & Wine.
I really dont remember why it was made but it sounds about right. Not sure it was ever true with the way the game looked before release since i dident play it before release. Tho i find that kinda change more easy to take then a downgrade after the game has been released. It has kinda become common practice to show off the game with amazing gfx to later dissapoint people with the game release looking nothing like the "gameplay" trailers. Anyways its all speculation since i have no insider info to go by but its interesting to hear others opinion on stuff. Would love to hear the resoning and why some decisions were made but, doubt we will ever know..

Honestly, I want them to downscale it to the point it works and after that I don't care.

Performance needs to come after functionality.

Honestly, I want them to downscale it to the point it works and after that I don't care.

Thats the thing. Games released for multiple platforms all suffers from this to some extent unless they go the rockstar way. 1 year extra development for whatever system they release it for after the initial release. Alot of gamecompanys has learned that releasing for just 1 system is a bad ide when it comes to making money. Theres allways gonna be limits with it unless you really spend time optimising it

I really dont remember why it was made but it sounds about right. Not sure it was ever true with the way the game looked before release since i dident play it before release. Tho i find that kinda change more easy to take then a downgrade after the game has been released. It has kinda become common practice to show off the game with amazing gfx to later dissapoint people with the game release looking nothing like the "gameplay" trailers. Anyways its all speculation since i have no insider info to go by but its interesting to hear others opinion on stuff. Would love to hear the resoning and why some decisions were made but, doubt we will ever know..
Downscaling is usually the result of developers presenting a vertical slice and not really the game itself. Usually, for shows like the E3 they spend a few hours overtime to build a demo-level that has everything in it and working to some degree. This way, journalists and consumers can better understand the vision of the game. However, many of the features presented do not work properly and most of it is just for show. While it is probably the developer's intention to have the final product at the same level of visual fidelity as presented, this is sometimes not possible. So, the "work in progress" watermark should be taken very literal. Hence, I would argue that (almost?) none of these gameplay-trailers with more visual fidelity than in the final product are malicious or have and intention of deceiving potential costumers.

I do however agree, that downgrades after a release are hard to swallow. That being said, I have yet to see clear confirmation that CP2077 has been downgraded with patches.

That's what the settings menu is for. I do not know on which platform you are playing, but I personally think that CP2077 runs pretty good considering the visual fidelity it offers. On the old consoles, they should aim for 30fps and decrease the visuals until they hit that point, and according to the DigitalFoundry video posted in this thread they have achieved that. Likewise, 30/60fps should be possible on next-gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom