DLC: What do you prefer? The poll. ! ENDING SPOILERS !

+

What kind of story do you hope to see in DLC?

• Continuation of V's story. Hope he/she survives (finds a cure/way out of cyberspace)

• Prequel to V's story. Events before meeting Johnny

• Prequel to Johnny's story. Events before meeting V

• Additional story within the main game, after meeting Johnny and before infiltrating Mikoshi

• A story not related to V or Johnny. Quest about a new hero or some of V's friends

Results are only viewable after voting.
Say like your character (V) inacts with the NPC but the subtitles are in spanish unless V upgrades themself to decipher and understand the language. If you (player) are fluent in that language then no problem if not then you need to find upgrades, etc.
A little bit like the Voodoo Boys when Judy add the program for translate this language, "Haitian creole" I think :)

I think that the "The game wasn't finished because Johnny Silverhand was played by Keanu conspiracy theory(...)

Calling it "conspiracy theory" it's elevating a 1 to a 10, I just shared what I read in the articles, and IF that was true, then I don't know how I feel about it, period.
While I agree that putting an avatar in scenes doesn't represent too much effort, writing his dialogue and recording his lines, if he speaks, does require some extra work.

Calling it "conspiracy theory" it's elevating a 1 to a 10, I just shared what I read in the articles, and IF that was true, then I don't know how I feel about it, period.
While I agree that putting an avatar in scenes doesn't represent too much effort, writing his dialogue and recording his lines, if he speaks, does require some extra work.

As I understand it, "some" of his dialogue was recorded while he was actually hooked up to the motion capture system. Which would then need resampling for the audio, and conversion of the motion capture to whatever format the engine requires for translation into the construction toolset. All while maintaining the timing of the audio/visual components. It's a TON of work to say the least.

Just casually discussing this as we are, reminds me of the most advanced AI companion NPC I have ever seen in a video game:

Companion Ivy for Fallout 4

And that's just a small sample of what goes into a main character NPC such as Johnny Silverhand. Or Jackie. Or Takemura. PanAm. Judy. What may have taken Reeves literal minutes to record, could potentially take weeks to finalize into the game. So it's a pretty safe bet that "doubling" his presence in the game added a "significant" amount of work. And that's BEFORE you even get into what in the story may have needed rewriting to accommodate the expansion of his role. Overall, it may have added months for all we know.

But at this point, it really doesn't matter. Game's out. It is what it is.

All that aside, the "V in a clone of him/herself" really does sound cool. And pretty efficient. No need for a new character, story picks up from the Embers point (which they could move to a later point), and you could see some kind of all new common ending. Or even new "alternative" endings. Either way, it's going to be interesting to see how they pull it all off.

Guest 3847602

I think that the "The game wasn't finished because Johnny Silverhand was played by Keanu conspiracy theory" is slightly less believable than Covid was caused by Chinese thermostats.
Keanu conspiracy theory = Indoctrination Theory 2021. :LOL: Convoluted, illogical mess made up to explain why one didn't like the official story, or its ending.
On the topic of DLCs, my heart says: "continuation of V's story", but I'm 90% certain it's going to be "additional story within the main game", which would have been my second pick anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keanu conspiracy theory = Indoctrination Theory 2021. :LOL: Convoluted, illogical mess made up to explain why one didn't like the official story, or its ending.
It looks like something like that but don't really understand why it's happening in context of CP 2077. Mass Effect trilogy was something I actually played and for me 3rd game was definitely the weakest and ending looked like they tried to lift something from the laws of thermodynamics and that green thing was perhaps supposed to present idea of building something new, but there was so much space magic that... nobody can't really argue, could be anything. And it was like okay, perhaps they tried that but managed fuck up even that. Yeah, that was hilarious but I guess I could sort of understand people coming up with alternative theories, EA kinda creating that situation.

CP 2077 is entirely different thing. Like the story hate it, but coming up with some fake stuff? It's free world and all that, but I don't understand what that is supposed to achieve here.

On the topic of DLCs, my heart says: "continuation of V's story", but I'm 90% certain it's going to be "additional story within the main game", which would have been my second pick anyway.

Didn't vote. I'm sort of torn here. I'm here for me, but at the same time there are few bugs on Xbox at least that are confusing and distracting. For story content I see CP 2077 again, like or hate it, but as game that is mature in ways that everybody should try it. People who aren't that much to games to begin with and who gave up for good reasons as they grew up and games didn't. I play games sometimes and can figure out situations when it's a game that's not working and try reloading a save or something but I'm not everybody.

For me, for a very long time I'm actually interested about DLC but at the same time, I sort of wish that V and possibly love interest could be let to ride to sunset sooner rather than later, even when that's not how things usually go in the cyberpunk genre. The Night City has lot of stories to tell, not every main character has to be V and that IMO creates opportunity. Well, something it will be, but I'm not sure at f it's going to be anything like what people may expect.

Last edited:
CP 2077 is entirely different thing. Like the story hate it, but coming up with some fake stuff? It's free world and all that, but I don't understand what that is supposed to achieve here.

It's a narrative that lets CDPR off the hook artistically as well as creatively and even technically.

"Here's the thing, there's this ORIGINAL script for the game which isn't about the stupid Relic and you have a lot more freedom. Maybe Jackie and Evie live too! You can be a Corpo, Nomad, or Street Kid life path and it doesn't end with you dying at the end. It's the best video game writing of all time. However, Keanu Reeves shows up and they throw that script out to make Johnny Silverhand the focus. This resulted in them chopping off the REAL ending where you live and having to rearrange everything for the big star because they love him so much. That's why the game is buggy as all get out too!"

Versus

"CD Projekt Red released the game a year early, overpromised, and always planned the game around the Relic as well as themes of death with Johnny Silverhand at the center."
Post automatically merged:

And that's just a small sample of what goes into a main character NPC such as Johnny Silverhand. Or Jackie. Or Takemura. PanAm. Judy. What may have taken Reeves literal minutes to record, could potentially take weeks to finalize into the game. So it's a pretty safe bet that "doubling" his presence in the game added a "significant" amount of work. And that's BEFORE you even get into what in the story may have needed rewriting to accommodate the expansion of his role. Overall, it may have added months for all we know.

But at this point, it really doesn't matter. Game's out. It is what it is.

In fact, actually, it's exactly for those reasons that it didn't change much. There's so much effort going into the implementation of things into a video game that there was no way that they changed the entirety of the game to accomdate Johnny Silverhand. [...], I believe them when they say the original script is what attracted Reeves to the project.

Last edited by a moderator:
In fact, actually, it's exactly for those reasons that it didn't change much. There's so much effort going into the implementation of things into a video game that there was no way that they changed the entirety of the game to accomdate Johnny Silverhand. While they lied before, I believe them when they say the original script is what attracted Reeves to the project.

There's a long road between saying "they changed the whole game for Keanu Reeves!!!" to saying "Reeves' expanded involvement likely added significant development time".

I'm in the latter camp.

But there's this running theme around here lately of people saying that "all" of the rumors have been evidenced to be false. And while "some" may have, it certainly hasn't been "all". It's akin to the cop bumping into the bank robber on his way into the bank. There they sit face to face on the sidewalk, robber with the money bags in one hand and a gun in the other. He looks at the cop and declares "I didn't rob the bank!" so the cop let's him go :ROFLMAO:

That is enough about whether or not Keanu Reeves's involvement affected the game or how much. Back on topic.

That is enough about whether or not Keanu Reeves's involvement affected the game or how much. Back on topic.

Understood.

I'd rather discuss the potentials of the future anyway. The past is done and gone. That said.....

Looking at the potentials for proper expansion content, a full-on Biotechnica clone expansion could really work well for continuing the story. Something like this perhaps:

When you consider that V is going to die regardless of ending, they could pick up a continuing narrative from one of two points: the Embers point of no return, or a point 6 months later. The Embers point would be easiest. The later point would need a bit more "creativity" to make work. Depending on the ending the player went through, a short (2 minute maybe?) montage' video depicting what the player may have been doing since (in first person perspective for obvious reasons). This would obviously need to vary from player to player relative to their ending, but wouldn't need to exceed the total number of endings.

If the player committed suicide, the montage' would need to be a bit more special. Perhaps involving one of the other main characters. Judy, PanAm, River, Kerry, etc., in a voiceover explaining how they arrived at this point.

Fade in to the player awakening in a Biotechnica clinic or lab of some sort, with Viktor standing over them as they awaken to provide a neutral, friendly face as the player awakens. A construct in their own cloned body (the "neurologically indifferent vessel" Hellman spoke of). And a natural fit for a replica of the relic (designed and built at Biotechnica by Hellman maybe?). This also affords the player an opportunity to make changes/adjustments to their current look using a mirror in said lab/clinic. "Nice work....." but this or that is "just a little off" or "I would never have my hair cut this way!" Or if the player likes their pre-expansion look, they could just exit without changing a thing.

Well, there's a start. Things could go in any direction from there ;)

I think post-game DLC is possible. Sun/Star both have time skips before their epilogue scenes and content can be added into that jump. Devil dumps V back out on the street so they can be included, too. V has a very suspicious but unusable 6th attribute for the relic. It's possible that after Mikoshi V finds a way to at least mostly stabilize the relic's progression and post-game content can be immediately after that point. It would solve 2 big issues:
  • Players can enjoy the expansions without more of the same time pressure.
  • Players that felt the time pressure in the base game took away from the enjoyment of side missions/gigs can have more freedom to play things in a more satisfying order and enjoy side content after after the base story.
TBH I think if they intend to continue V's life and permanently solve the relic problem like cloning V into a new body, it would be for the next game. Sun/Star/Devil fit with lifepaths and the transition to the next game can be similar to lifepath intros with a story-consistent way to change appearance/attributes/etc. For players that chose Temperance, their engram still exists and would not be locked out.

The Peralez/Night Corp/Mr Blue Eyes storyline did show that corps are cooking some scary and very secretive tech in the background, so there could still be some very unexpected paths V could take to seek help.

I think post-game DLC is possible. Sun/Star both have time skips before their epilogue scenes and content can be added into that jump. Devil dumps V back out on the street so they can be included, too. V has a very suspicious but unusable 6th attribute for the relic. It's possible that after Mikoshi V finds a way to at least mostly stabilize the relic's progression and post-game content can be immediately after that point. It would solve 2 big issues:
  • Players can enjoy the expansions without more of the same time pressure.
  • Players that felt the time pressure in the base game took away from the enjoyment of side missions/gigs can have more freedom to play things in a more satisfying order and enjoy side content after after the base story.
TBH I think if they intend to continue V's life and permanently solve the relic problem like cloning V into a new body, it would be for the next game. Sun/Star/Devil fit with lifepaths and the transition to the next game can be similar to lifepath intros with a story-consistent way to change appearance/attributes/etc. For players that chose Temperance, their engram still exists and would not be locked out.

The Peralez/Night Corp/Mr Blue Eyes storyline did show that corps are cooking some scary and very secretive tech in the background, so there could still be some very unexpected paths V could take to seek help.

Solid. Mostly.....

But I think saving V and solving the relic problem in an entirely new game would be a huge mistake. It's a tremendous gamble that relies on player trust. Which is quite..... sparse at the moment. Given the rocky (to say the least) launch and ongoing drama surrounding this game, they need to pour EVERY advantage they can find into regaining the trust and devotion of the fans. A new game won't accomplish that if they don't go the extra mile with the current game. It will be received for how it would appear: CDPR giving up and bailing on this game and it's fans to move onto the next potential moneymaker. They're not going to give it away for free.

Nah. They need to work with what they have. Fix it. Build upon it. But in a more responsible manner going forward. Promote and advertise what is FINISHED and working. Not what they hope will work after release.

Guest 4412420

Maybe I'm just completely missing the obvious, but cloning doesn't seem like a solution to me? They'd essentially be cloning a body that's incompatible with V's engram. How would a clone with the same incompatible DNA be useful?

Maybe I'm just completely missing the obvious, but cloning doesn't seem like a solution to me? They'd essentially be cloning a body that's incompatible with V's engram. How would a clone with the same incompatible DNA be useful?

By cleansing the raw DNA in some way? Or perhaps the sample DNA is acquired from V's old toothbrush?

I dunno. I'm not a scientist :p

This is something likely fixable today. The Biotechnica lab I linked above is mono-clonal research - so starting from a single cell. You would need to edit the DNA to remove the incompatibilities. But you only need to edit the one cell and grow the clone from there, which is fairly simple. We can, and are, doing this type of editing today using CRISPR. There's currently a ban on this in the USA, but other countries have birthed these genetically edited babies.

Essentially the chip works like technomagic anyway so it doesn't matter.

It's like that moment in Big Trouble in Little China where Egg is above the heroes:

"How'd you get up there?"

"Wasn't easy!"

Essentially the chip works like technomagic anyway so it doesn't matter.

It's like that moment in Big Trouble in Little China where Egg is above the heroes:

"How'd you get up there?"

"Wasn't easy!"

STILL one of my favorite movies :p

It would be very cool if they gave us something like a story continuation to give us the chance to lift the plot cancer. Especially if they could give us an intro taking up from each ending to bring us back to night city - with maybe the exception of the endings where V canonically dies.

It would be very cool if they gave us something like a story continuation to give us the chance to lift the plot cancer. Especially if they could give us an intro taking up from each ending to bring us back to night city - with maybe the exception of the endings where V canonically dies.

"Canon" is largely irrelevant in this type of setting. Even if V kills himself as the ending, there are further considerations that could feasibly "bring him/her back". Especially in the context of cloning and relic technology. Viktor, PanAm, River, Judy, Misty..... ANY of them hear the shot, and go up on the roof to investigate to find V lying there, gunshot to the temple. Is he/she "clinically dead" at this point? Or is the lead-in to the next chapter a matter of time taken to get his engram onto a duplicate relic awaiting insertion to a clone body?

Canon largely depends on how they wish to continue the story. I don't think a wholly new character could work. Just look around here. MANY players want to continue (and expand upon) their V story. RPG, action adventure.... whatever. No matter WHAT they classify the game as, players grew attached to "their V". And they'll surely want their V back to continue the story with.

Top Bottom