Save files have been deleted by the game

+
save files disappeared from the game and now I lost my progress for several days, I don't know if I should keep playing this cyberpunk, because I'm not sure if it won't happen again. As I've heard this game has that problem more then half year ago and still have that bug today, that just destroy the whole game, coz you easy can lose all your game progress and it is not a joke, it is natural nightmare.

Weird :(
Surprising, never read/see that problem before.
Just like that or after installing an update ? Gog/Steam ?
They don't showed in the game ? Or "totally" removed from the folder ?
> Where are my game saves located?
EPIC GAME. the files were overwritten with my previous saves, and I ended up losing progress in a few days. there are similar complaints on this forum, you can also find a video on YouTube about this bug. https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/save-disappeared.11044298/. or

This happened to me the day after launch. I didn't think much of it with all that was going on at the time. I just started a new game.

I did however make a copy of my saves folder on another drive, which I continuously overwrite to add my latest saves to this day. It's become a regular practice that I don't really even think about anymore. At the time I thought it was just a freak issue. Guess I was wrong. I did a little searching around, and it seems to be a recurring problem for quite a few players.

I'm sorry but I'm having a hard time believing this stuff.

If you're "really really afraid" of loosing your data, like that dude from the video, why would you ever press play without making a backup of your save files?

It's furthermore an issue that is more likely caused by your very own internet connection, maybe by Steam,
but certainly not by "the game".

You are talking about losing manual saves or autosaves from another character?

I've lost characters when I have switched toons and forgotten to manually save (I mean, my save files are a mess, I rarely manually save and have a stack of about 8 saves from the point of no return)

I'm sorry but I'm having a hard time believing this stuff.

If you're "really really afraid" of loosing your data, like that dude from the video, why would you ever press play without making a backup of your save files?

It's furthermore an issue that is more likely caused by your very own internet connection, maybe by Steam,
but certainly not by "the game".

Steam Cloud saves duplicates of your saves (up to 2gb's worth, and overwrites the oldest when you exceed the 2gb).

Though there is the possibility of the user not setting it up. I don't believe it's automatically set up when you install a game.

Steam Cloud saves duplicates of your saves (up to 2gb's worth, and overwrites the oldest when you exceed the 2gb).
Though there is the possibility of the user not setting it up. I don't believe it's automatically set up when you install a game.
OK, but that's 2GB of cloud storage, right? If you delete ManualSave-123 in-game, the local save file gets insta-deleted, and the very next save file that gets created, will be named ManualSave-124, so there should be zero chance that old local save files get overwritten.
Post automatically merged:

Maybe it's different when you play on two different PC's... idk

OK, but that's 2GB of cloud storage, right? If you delete ManualSave-123 in-game, the local save file gets insta-deleted, and the very next save file that gets created, will be named ManualSave-124, so there should be zero chance that old local save files get overwritten.

ManualSave 123 should still be cloud stored. Not totally sure. I don't use it since I duplicate my save folder manually anyway. But I "think" saves are only cloud stored once you exit the game. So I don't think deleting ManualSave 123 locally would make any difference if it was a save that was uploaded on game exit. It should download the next time the game is run. Though ManualSave 124 may prevent that. Again, I don't use it, so I can't really be sure.

This turns out to be more complicated than I thought... I think ManualSave-123 would be synced, which means it also gets deleted from the cloud if it has been deleted during the last gaming session. But if the internet connection is lost when quitting the game until restarting or shutting down the computer, you probably get asked by GOG/Steam which files you want to use the next time you press play: Either the local saves from the last gaming session, or the cloud files from the last synchronization. Anyway, what I'm less sure about are the quick-saves and the auto-saves. If a player never creates a manual save, maybe that's the problem?

If a player never creates a manual save, maybe that's the problem?

Quite possibly.

But assuming the player has the Steam Cloud feature active, they should be able to at least continue from the latest save file. So in the context of this particular issue, I'd assume the feature was inactive. As a long-time modder and mod user, I learned long ago that backing up save files is single best thing you can do to spare yourself any potential headaches.

I don't know how it work on steam but maybe useful :
Steam Cloud
On xbox,
Let's say that I delete my local saves (like N°1,2,3).
If I create another one (N°4) and play on it. At my next synchronization, N°1,2,3 will be deleted and N°4 added to the cloud.
If I quite the game directly (without synchronisation or offline), N°1,2,3 will be re-install on my xbox the next time.

I've lost my manual and autosaves, all of them were overwritten with the ones made a couple of days ago. I constantly, even very often, save manually (f5). On the Internet I dug up information that the problem is in the size of save files, it should not be 8 mb or something like that, it was also suggested not to fill the cargo storage with loot in the game, coz this can be the cause of damage to save files, which cannot be restored. If that things r true, then I do not understand the meaning of this RPG game, because there are tons of Loot and materials for crafting, it is a terrible bug. And...just realise if some one have been played more then year and lose all.

sorry dude, f5 is a quicksave and gets overwritten

1628558396558.png

For me, it sound more like a problem of synching on the Steam side or user's side and not by the game itself.
If I look the video, the guy have a message who said "unable to sync with Steam Cloud". But he launch the game anyway... In my opinion, it smelt "bad", at the very moment he launches the game :(
Capture d’écran 2021-08-10 à 03.25.00.png

"you may loose changes and progress"
it's not as if he hadn't been warned :(

View attachment 11243551

That still doesn't explain any saves made prior to the last QuickSave. If the "last" save was a QuickSave, but the ones before it (assuming there were any) were normal manual or auto-saves, ONLY the last save is overwritten. He could f5 every two minutes, and the same save would just get repeatedly overwritten.

I think it's a combination of what you, me, and DC9V are saying. He may have only been QuickSaving "without" Steam Cloud active to keep a backup. And with no other save type in the save folder, there's nothing for the game to find and load.

ings r true, then I do not understand the meaning of this RPG game, because there are tons of Loot and materials for crafting, it is a terrible bug. A
Ok so you thought F5 creates a "ManualSave", right? Well you actually want to go into the menu and click on "save" in order to create such file. There are three "QuickSave" in total, so the third one always gets overwritten when you press F5. You can create up to 999 ManulSaves via the menu, If I'm not mistaken, but you need to choose the empty slot on top. It's easy to missclick since the mouse sensitivity in the menu is higher than in-game so make sure to take your time.
thebeautyofsavefiles.png

Ok so you thought F5 creates a "ManualSave", right? Well you actually want to go into the menu and click on "save" in order to create such file. There are three "QuickSave" in total, so the third one always gets overwritten when you press F5. You can create up to 999 ManulSaves via the menu, If I'm not mistaken, but you need to choose the empty slot on top. It's easy to missclick since the mouse sensitivity in the menu is higher than in-game so make sure to take your time.
And for his own future sanity, he should turn on Steam Cloud if he doesn't want to bother with how I back up my save folder. It can be found in the Steam settings for the game. I had a look at it, and it seems you can turn it on or off on a "per game" basis.

Top Bottom