Will Old Gen Consoles Hold Back The Next Gen Patch?

+
First of all, this is based on assumptions and my own experience playing the game. I don't know much about game development, and I might be completely wrong.
But based on many hours of gameplay, this is my impression:

The resource streaming (especially textures) on PC still seems to be on the slow side, and I believe this is because of the way the game can access data on other platforms (either from the memory or from the disk). Maybe the old tech doesn't allow to have several threads for loading assets because otherwise the disk would jump from sector to sector, slowing everything down, or maybe the memory just doesn't have enough capacity. So when there's a limited amount of threads, I assume that different assets need to have different priority or different speed, because sometimes they're on the same thread. This probably requires a lot of fine-tuning and it could be the reason why it took so long to improve the mini map.

My question is:
Will the next gen patch come with faster streaming on PC and next gen consoles, or is it impossible to change such a fine-tuned system?

Will the next gen patch come with faster streaming on PC and next gen consoles, or is it impossible to change such a fine-tuned system?
Honestly, I have any skill/Knowledge either, but I don't know why release a Next-Gen patch on new consoles if they can't improve the actual "old-gen" version that we already running (in 4K in performance mode - average 60FPS, in my case). But that just an opinion from a total ignorant :D

Honestly, I have any skill/Knowledge either, but I don't know why release a Next-Gen patch on new consoles if they can't improve the actual "old-gen" version that we already running (in 4K in performance mode - average 60FPS, in my case). But that just an opinion from a total ignorant :D
idk, maybe because one can't dance on two different weddings simultaneously...

idk, maybe because one can't dance on two different weddings simultaneously...
What I suppose (it still guesses), it's until now, CDPR worked (hard) to have a game as stable as possible for all platform without any distinction.
And now, they can start to improve things for each platform step by step. Old gen consoles will keep settings as they are now, but PCs and next-gen consoles will receive a dedicated improvements in function of the hardware (maybe not the same on PS5 than Series S/X).

I think it's already work in progress but they had absolutely to start this work on a pretty solid base game and above all, the same version for all or almost (hence the lowered graphics on PCs now than at the release).

But like I said, It's only an opinion from an ignorant based on guesses (so maybe/certainely totally wrong) :D

If you look at current CP and compare this with GTA5 you have first the initial release optimized for last gen, and soon after the next gen version optimized for current gen and PC. So to answer your question, I would say the next gen patch will be so specific to current gen tech it will no longer need to cater to lower end hardware. Probably something like Metro Exodus recent next gen patch which was free and locked RTX into the game.

I dont wanna sound like a negative nancy but ive seen no indication that they will fix the gfx downgrade on pc at all. I really dont wanna bash anything either but we all know why it happend and i dont se the way they can restore it without dividing patches and so on up to specific plattforms. This would make it hard to patch since you would tripple the work.

Its true we dont know what they did for it too happend in the first place (and if its even possible too revert it on 1 plattform only) but i really doubt they will go that way, generaly its made on PC since they code the game on it(test most of it too i guess), then downscaled to work on the older consoles. This time they must have ran into a hard wall since it affected pc too and could be for stability reasons on all plattforms.

Since we havent heard anything about it other then small admissions to why it happend i find it kinda hard too speculate over it but i hope they can solve this since the gfx was one of the big selling points of this game for me.

I dont wanna sound like a negative nancy but ive seen no indication that they will fix the gfx downgrade on pc at all. I really dont wanna bash anything either but we all know why it happend and i dont se the way they can restore it without dividing patches and so on up to specific plattforms. This would make it hard to patch since you would tripple the work.
What I means, the work is more easy when you have a base and really know what is "different" for each platform. Rather than try to work separately from the beginning and end with 3 unrelated stuff.
So I'm pretty optimistic even for PCs :)

i really doubt they will go that way, generaly its made on PC since they code the game on it(test most of it too i guess), then downscaled to work on the older consoles. This time they must have ran into a hard wall since it affected pc too and could be for stability reasons on all plattforms.
Iirc they underestimated the task of adjusting the PC version to consoles, "especially old gen".
I believe that the slow streaming that we see on PC is caused by artificial limitations due to those adjustments.
You think the PC version had the same exact issues originally?

If you look at current CP and compare this with GTA5 you have first the initial release optimized for last gen, and soon after the next gen version optimized for current gen and PC. So to answer your question, I would say the next gen patch will be so specific to current gen tech it will no longer need to cater to lower end hardware. Probably something like Metro Exodus recent next gen patch which was free and locked RTX into the game.
GTA5 took atleast 1 year too port too pc, same with RDR2. I kinda find that studios way to be the best way even if i have to wait 1 year to play the game. It solves the problem of older hardware.

They underestimated the task of adjusting the PC version to consoles, "especially old gen".
I believe that the slow streaming that we see on PC is caused by artificial limitations due to those adjustments...
yea i think your right on that, i remember seeing videos on old gen at release with it struggeling too stream in high quality assets even when the city looked completly empty. Im guessing they have turned it down since the older hardware just could not keep up. Sure the directstorage thats comming for pc and the new gen way of handeling loading with there fast ssds would probably eliminate those issues but they will be hardpressed too keep updating the old gen game too. I find it hard too see the same base code running fine on all plattforms if they could not do that for us on pc when the oldgen was struggeling. We will probably never know how they did it or why clearly either so everything is just speculation ofc.

A sentence that comes to me about this :
"when you have down all the settings at the very bottom for all platforms, the only way to modify them it's to increase them"

The game is already held back and will continue to be held back by the ancient hardware of old-gen consoles. Dropping support for them so that they can focus on more powerful hardware is the solution.
I would agree if I knew the chip crisis could be ending soon.

Really? I took one look at the 2018 demo, one look at current gen at the time and went...nope. lol. And CP ended up looking better than the 2018 demo by quite a bit!

The game is already held back and will continue to be held back by the ancient hardware of old-gen consoles. Dropping support for them so that they can focus on more powerful hardware is the solution.
The should have done that before the launch of the game, now they need to continue to support those platforms. What I would also be interested in is how those sales are divided. We know that 58% of the sales are for PC, which leaves 42% for all the consoles. But I haven't read anywhere how the remaining percentage is split up.

GTA5 took atleast 1 year too port too pc, same with RDR2. I kinda find that studios way to be the best way even if i have to wait 1 year to play the game. It solves the problem of older hardware.
Well, actually it would have been best to release it on PC and wait a year with the console release. The PC version is obviously the most finished one. This way, we wouldn't have a downgrade and CDPR could keep working on consoles.

Another thing that I have remembered again was this statement from a UbiSoft developer who talked about Watch Dog's downgrade. He mentioned that Sony obliged them that the game was not allowed to look much better on PC than on their console. The same thing could be happening with Cyberpunk 2077 as well. Fortunately, the moment the next-gen patch hits, the game would be allowed to look a bit better on PC than on PS5.

However, while I do believe this statement of this developer, I doubt this is true in the case of CDPR. The reason for this is that Sony probably doesn't have this deal for each and every studio, but rather for those they have more closely related ties with.

As a base PS4 player I can see (and hear) the old beast is being stretched to the limit by the game. I'd have no problem whatsoever if CDPR turned round and said the expansion DLCs were beyond the scope of the old tech and are being made available for PC / nextgen console only. Old gen is old gen, we're probably at the time period now where support for the machines would normally expect to drop off. Give it 6 years or so and the console era will be a matter of history and everyone will have PCs anyway.

Much like Metal Gear Solid V on PS3, CP2077 has seen the PS4 era off in a blaze of glory.

I'd say drop old gen now, current gen has been available for more than half a year...but unfortunately, there is the chip shortage problem. I bet many players really want to get their hands on a new console, but they simply can't. I mean, even the automotive industry has problems with the chip shortages, I don't expect the situation is gonna improve soon for something as relatively unimportant as consoles...
You can't just leave a huge number of players in the dust, because they simplay can't get their hands on the hardware...

Still, I hope the next gen version is going to be completely independent from the old one and I also hope the nerfed PC version will get its shackles removed...

Well, actually it would have been best to release it on PC and wait a year with the console release. The PC version is obviously the most finished one. This way, we wouldn't have a downgrade and CDPR could keep working on consoles.
Not cool at all... If it was the case, now, I still couldn't play Cyberpunk. I even can't imagine it :D
It would be the worst thing ever. I would absolutely hate PC users !!!

Not cool at all... If it was the case, now, I still couldn't play Cyberpunk. I even can't imagine it :D
It would be the worst thing ever. I would absolutely hate PC users !!!
Well, you do know that this regularly happens to PC players and we have also learned to live with it. The reason for this is often that games are developed with consoles as main platforms and it is harder to optimise for PCs due to the different hardware combinations. But Cyberpunk 2077 was developed with the PC as main platform, which also lead to the issues it is/was facing on consoles. Thus, delaying the release for consoles would have been a valid approach in order to both make it stable on old-gen and implemented better graphics on next-gen.

But don't worry, CDPR has learned from its mistakes and I assume the PC will never be the lead platform again for any of their games. In future, if a release is delayed it will be the PC version ;)

Well, you do know that this regularly happens to PC players and we have also learned to live with it. The reason for this is often that games are developed with consoles as main platforms and it is harder to optimise for PCs due to the different hardware combinations. But Cyberpunk 2077 was developed with the PC as main platform, which also lead to the issues it is/was facing on consoles. Thus, delaying the release for consoles would have been a valid approach in order to both make it stable on old-gen and implemented better graphics on next-gen.

But don't worry, CDPR has learned from its mistakes and I assume the PC will never be the lead platform again for any of their games. In future, if a release is delayed it will be the PC version
It happen also very often on console, I have to wait a good while before playing a game. Even more when the game is in beta :)
For most of them, it's "simply" annoying and I wait, no problem.
But about Cyberpunk, I would have been a little bit (a lot) salty :D

Top Bottom