The Witcher: Monster Slayer is out!

+
Hey, monster slayers! Are you having fun?

Here are some handy tips I would like to share after extensive play in the past two weeks:
* Use your bicycle to go around places quicker and discover more monsters.
* Get a feel of attacks from a monster marked with a skull before applying any oils and potions for a decisive fight. Powerful oils and bombs cost a lot of resources, so you should only have one shot of using a set of expensive tools to kill some monster with a skull.
* Learn the perfect block. It is the one and only useful skill in this game.
* Don't spend any oils and potions on monsters without the skull. You can beat them all with the starting gear when you practice the timing of the perfect block.
* Some potions are much better than others and cost the same amount of resources to craft. I recommend to craft Swift, and when you reach Level 10 craft Cat to deal +75% damage at night.
* Never use the "Auto" button before the start of the fight. The app will allocate your best oils and potions and you need to keep them for serious fights.
* Don't craft basic bombs. The powerful ones cost x2 resources but they are x2.5 times more powerful and don't clog your inventory so much. Focus on the powerful bombs, have about 10 of Grapeshot and Moon Dust at any time and you'll be fine.
* Any monster, even the ones with 3 skulls could be killed with a few powerful bombs. So, if your Perfect Block is not perfect, craft 5+ bombs, use Swift and Swallow potions to live longer and just throw the bombs with normal blocks in between. I killed a Frightener on the first attempt with this tactic.
* Don't spend money on crafting stations and other consumables in the shop. Save it for the gear.
* Try and get to Level 10 asap. In addition to small rewards from daily quests nemeta will offer potentially +150 coins daily.
* At level 20 get the perk Hit Reflection. It is so powerful you will be able to take on any monster with 1 skull without any oils or potions.
* Keep around 20 spare skill points by the time you reach threshold levels 10,15,20,25... - this way you can use some great perks immediately when you reach that level.

Feel free to add me, my ID there is 0008 2131 7131 :disapprove:

Last edited:
I have finally found one major problem with the game. Time limited quests.

I got two quests, which both required to be done after dusk. When I got those quests, I wasn't able to fully complete them, since I had no time. Also next few days I was at work during the night hours, when those quests would have been doable. After postponing the quests several days, I finally had a chance to finish them.

At that point first quest had been "completed" on it's own. I found out that I only had few days time to finish that quest, and because of me being at work, I wasn't able to finish it on time. So the quest had completed itself, apparently leaving me without any rewards.

Second quest was also troublesome. First it had to be started at dusk, which is already a time when we usually go to bed (or I go to work). After starting the quests "dusk phase", it forces the player to wait till night. Which took an extra hour. Then it forces the player to wait 15 more mins. Then 15 more mins. And then yet again 15 more mins. So almost 2 hours of just waiting to be able to continue at night time. I still have that (assumingly) final phase of the quest undone, and I'm hoping that I haven't missed that too, since I really had to go to sleep after already being awake way too long last night.

Generally I like the idea of quests being time of day related and I do agree that it gives a nice touch to the game, but since the game follows real life day cycle, it gets troublesome if you have scheduled responsibilities. Maybe there could be a chance to meditate and change the time of the day? Or at least the very minimum, no "few days" short time limits to quests that has to be done at night. And the last part, since dusk and night time can already be troublesome time wise, please no forced extra waiting periods for those quests.

If I wasn't sure how to feel about quests at first in a game like this, now it looks like I have been enjoying them a lot more than I even realized : D Still enjoying the game a lot, though. I just wish that in the future I would be able to fully enjoy also the night time part of the game.

Edit: Based on my previous posts, I did get the time limited one on Saturday. And by Wednesday it had already been autocompleted/missed because it took too long for me to finish it :/

So, I have played this game extensively this week. I'd like to share my impressions of it.

The stuff I liked:
+ overall execution of the game: the quality and feel of the app.
+ implementation of the lore - monster description, potions, oils, etc.
+ lots of monsters. I didn't expect there would be so many to discover.
+ factor-depending monster spawn. The game says some monsters will spawn during the rain or during the night, and some others are likely to appear in particular locations near water, etc. I have not yet verified it but if they executed it like they say, it's a nice feature. I just wonder how am I supposed to get to monsters that spawn in the middle of a wide river near me =)
+ balanced density of monsters. The game calls for a healthy walk. I like that the monsters are not on every corner and I need to walk or cycle somewhere to get them.
+ I am in lockdown, so I appreciate that new monsters are spawning near me every hour.
+ crafting seems balanced so far.
+ opportunity to share loot with friends.

The stuff I didn't like:
- pay to play approach. At the start I only have a steel sword, so with any monsters that require a silver sword I am immediately at a disadvantage, and it is noticeable. So, while the game is technically free, you are going to be in deep shit without proper gear.
- the grind! This game requires a lot of it, I can see it already. You get one skill point for killing 3 nekkers, and the next skill point is for killing 50(!) nekkers! And the skill tree requires A LOT of points for a miniscule addition of power. Same thing with the gear - it costs huge amount of coin compared to your income. It looks like I will be stuck with the starting gear for months, and I don't even have a basic silver sword. =(
- the game feels very repetitive already. I'd like more variety with quests and activities.
- the same monsters spawn around me over and over again. Also, despite all my cycling around I did not yet encounter a single rare or legendary monster.

Tips:
* Get a feel of a strong monster attack before applying any oils and potions for a decisive fight. Some of the witcher tools cost a lot of resources and you should only have one shot of using a set of expensive tools to kill some monster with a skull.
* Don't spend any oils and potions on monsters without the skull. You can beat them all with the starting gear when you practice the timing of the perfect block.
* Don't spend money on crafting stations. Save it for the gear.

So, I have played this game extensively this week. I'd like to share my impressions of it.

The stuff I liked:
+ overall execution of the game: the quality and feel of the app.
+ implementation of the lore - monster description, potions, oils, etc.
+ lots of monsters. I didn't expect there would be so many to discover.
+ factor-depending monster spawn. The game says some monsters will spawn during the rain or during the night, and some others are likely to appear in particular locations near water, etc. I have not yet verified it but if they executed it like they say, it's a nice feature. I just wonder how am I supposed to get to monsters that spawn in the middle of a wide river near me =)
+ balanced density of monsters. The game calls for a healthy walk. I like that the monsters are not on every corner and I need to walk or cycle somewhere to get them.
+ I am in lockdown, so I appreciate that new monsters are spawning near me every hour.
+ crafting seems balanced so far.
+ opportunity to share loot with friends.

The stuff I didn't like:
- pay to play approach. At the start I only have a steel sword, so with any monsters that require a silver sword I am immediately at a disadvantage, and it is noticeable. So, while the game is technically free, you are going to be in deep shit without proper gear.
- the grind! This game requires a lot of it, I can see it already. You get one skill point for killing 3 nekkers, and the next skill point is for killing 50(!) nekkers! And the skill tree requires A LOT of points for a miniscule addition of power. Same thing with the gear - it costs huge amount of coin compared to your income. It looks like I will be stuck with the starting gear for months, and I don't even have a basic silver sword. =(
- the game feels very repetitive already. I'd like more variety with quests and activities.
- the same monsters spawn around me over and over again. Also, despite all my cycling around I did not yet encounter a single rare or legendary monster.

Tips:
* Get a feel of a strong monster attack before applying any oils and potions for a decisive fight. Some of the witcher tools cost a lot of resources and you should only have one shot of using a set of expensive tools to kill some monster with a skull.
* Don't spend money on crafting stations. Save it for the gear.

I agree with most of your points. To pay $5 for the starter pack is a good decision. You can test it for free and if you like it and want to play more you pay at least $5. The $100 gold coins have a bad taste, though.
If they want more gamers aside the The Witcher Fanbase, they have to lower the price and grind factor. For me it's ok, but for lots of gamers the progress/time spent ratio is not good and they will drop it.
There should be more "events" like this nemeton tree to farm more gold. Together with the daily task and the nemeton the player can farm 200 gold each day - that's too little for most gamers I guess. The game already dropped out of the top ten in the play store.
It need's to be less expensive and a faster progress and more events. The amount of different monsters is awesome but most gamers will never see them.

@StanislavOZZO I added you, so I don't have to throw away those packages:)
Post automatically merged:

The player can send one package every 10 hours to a friend. Damn, why so avaricious? It should be the opposite to build the community!
And one important factor is also missing: There should be an option to show other witchers on the map and an on/off switch, if the player wants to be seen or not.
Seeds to switch between different monster and nemeton locations would be great, otherwise the player has to visit alway the same loactions.

Last edited:
I'm level 23 now and I experiencing lags from hell. I would say it startet at level 21 to lag. Scrolling through the bestiarium is now impossible and winning against monsters above easy level is impossible too with those lags.
I already deleted al lot of unused apps but that didn't help. My smartphone was very cheap (Xiaomi 9 something, 3gb), but until now it was fine with low settings.

Sending one package to a friend every 24 hours...wth? Thats so few it's almost pointless.
There is only one NPC where the player can upgrade the sword for one hour. The game needs mutch more of NPCs like this, for exampke an merchant where the player can sell the stuff he doesn't need, instead throwing everything away.

The basis of the game is great, but until they ad more features, NPCs, events, multiplayer interaction...this is only some sort of fanservice. But even if you spend about $20 it will be a grind from hell without a bike - don't know how it works with car/bus/train.

Great potential and I hope they will continue to improve and ad features.

Looks like I was lucky to play the game up to level 23 with only 3gb after all. I guess the minimum is 4gb. The smarphone I use was only bought for 2FA and nothing else. As a CD Projekt shareholder, the only reason I startet this game was to take a look if it's a decent game (and it sucked me in more then I wanted :). At the current state I would describe it as Fan-Service with great potential.

Some ideas to make it more attractive:

- At the moment all monsters stay at fixed location - nothing is moving. What about some monsters hunting the player over the map and if it is too strong the player has to hide. Small reward for succesfull hiding and big reward for slaying the monster.
- There could be mosters walking and creeping over the map and the player has to chase them.
- Bonus and finishing move for slaying a monster with perfect critical hit
- Combo bonus for perfect critical hit and perfect parry in a row

Last edited:
Everyone who did the "Intruder" task, I would like to know the results of different choices taken.

Story short:
You examine a farm and afterwards you have to kill frightener. On your way there you may need to get some archespore juice after failing your first fight. While getting the juice, masked sorcerer suddenly appears, makes you an offer and asks you to wait 24 hours before killing the frightener.

In my own game, I...
I failed first fight and had to go get archespore juice. Didn't wait 24 hours because I didn't trust the masked sorcerer. I also didn't give him the pin afterwards when getting my reward from mayor.
My quest reward was 1500 xp and 75 coins. And in the end the sorcerer stole the pin anyways. Didn't get any new quests either.

Ah, if only there would be option to replay the quests! Would be interesting to see all possible outcomes. And it would add more content to the game. At least for me.

@Sunsibar
I also lost the first fight but I also waited for 24 hours. The village was destroyed and I blamed the masked sorcerer. In the end I lost all fights and only got some EP - no gold XD

Some ideas:

What about some kind of leaderboard/highscore/ranking for most monsters slain, most distance traveld (without horse), most perfect kills etc. With gold coins as rewards every week. The game needs more rewards and competitions among the players to bind them.

Last edited:
Two weeks in the game and I am puzzled: where are the rare and legendary monsters? I still haven't encountered any. Cycling around the neighbourhood every day...
And for some reason a very rare species like sylvan or fiend (according to witcher lore) belong to a common category in the app.

There is a mistake with the crafting: necrophage oil requires cursed remains and not necrophage remains.

Last edited:
i actively played for 4-5 days post launch and finished all quests except the real (realism much) world full moon one. Largely enjoyed it, i mean how many mobile games have ar and animated cutscenes? felt reasonable enough to spend at least $6 on the starter pack. Hope it evolves into an active filled thing as time progresses. And the biggest (and most common seen on discord) headache future quests don't spawn on unreachable areas which is quite a lot lol
Until between "seasons" more/repeatable contracts per day and community challenges would be a nice addition/to do next

and for co-witchering and packages: 2970 7100 1910

New findings of my Level 11 journey so far:

After having barely a couple of quests the game exploded with options. Suddenly there is heaps to do, and I can clear nemeta now too (but it is bad that it is so dark inside I can barely see the monsters when I am outdoors on a sunny day). Overall, I think CDPR have raised the bar too high for fresh audience. Lots of people will not have the patience to get to Level 10 and get into the game properly and see that variety of monsters.

Cat is one of the most useful potions. I play after dark and it gives +75 to damage at night. Compared to laughable +4% damage addition in the skill tree damage +75% is massive!

I like how CDPR implemented choice and effect in the app so far. I hope that there are further consequences based on the actions I took.

Now I wonder what is the ultimate purpose of the game. Is it to find all monsters in the bestiary? Or it is to complete the quests and maybe there will be some main storyline later?

What is the purpose for you?

Last edited:
So, I'm level 15 now. Few things to note:

Great execution of quests! I like that there are timed quests that are missable and those that span across several days. Makes for a great story. It feels like I am on the Path.

I am tired of killing the slutty hairy women that are trying to burn me and slutty dead women that are trying to lick me. :coolstory: Those two and ghouls spawn significantly more often than other common creatures in my area. I'd like more variety of common creatures near me.

I understand that common monsters vary in strength but why do I get the same experience for killing a ghoul and a tiger fiend? It makes no sense. XP should be based on the difficulty.

I still have not encountered a single legendary creature. Despite all my cycling in various urban, green and waterfront areas - nothing. And just for reference, I have found 12 rare creatures so far by doing quests and exploring.

Nemeton is too dark. I can't see shit on a sunny day.

It would be good to see on the character screen what effects I currently have. At some point I had my blade sharpened + curse + potion but no explanation how exactly this affects my stats.

Quen is hard to cast for me. I am doing the motion as indicated, yet it usually takes me 2-3 attempts to cast it. Also, I was hoping that Quen would not disappear if I do a perfect block, but it does. It makes no sense to me. Right now it is better to just do perfect blocks and use offensive signs instead of Quen.

All the best to everyone on the path. I'll catch up with you when I reach Level 20. Feel free to add me, my ID there is 0008 2131 7131 :disapprove:

Last edited:
There was no patch, but I can play again with only 3gb.

@StanislavOZZO
It appears there will be more different monsters at the players location with rising character level. Those legendary creaturs are really rare. i only encountered three of them until now and two wwere quest-monsters.
I have no problem with casting Quen. The controls are really good I have to say and I use Quen always against stronger creatures - makes it mutch easier.
@all:
Best package to send is the witcher package with potions inside, herbs are ok and don't send the alchemy package!

I have no problem with casting Quen. The controls are really good I have to say and I use Quen always against stronger creatures - makes it mutch easier.
Hey, how do you find Quen useful? By level 25 you probably have mastered perfect block already. Why do you cast Quen when you can just perfect block it?

@StanislavOZZO Perfect block is not guaranteed - at least not for me every time. And with Quen discharge you can give up to 30% of the absorbed damage back to the enemy. I use it only against strong enemys with an offensive spell as decapitation strike. Works quite well with my build :)

Please, only send witcher and herb package - the alchemy package is almost useless.

I like to use Quen and enjoy the damage reflection back to opponent. Works wonders in bigger fights for me. Along with critical hits and parrying. My strategy has been going towards faster sign cooldown and bigger damage reflection. Where my boyfriend is building a strategy around quick critical hits, since he's not a fan of signs.

I haven't noticed any huge power differences between our strategies. One doesn't seem to be more effective than the other. It's just a matter of how you want to play. But feel free to correct if I'm wrong.

Although I would think that if you don't have any actual strategy and you are just randomly going all over the place, then it may not be that effective than having one specific (whatever type) strategy.

I dislike very much what they did in the last update.

I am no longer on the Path, I am on the Spot. A swarm of monsters appears every 10-15 minutes and I literally kill hundreds in a day without leaving the sofa.

For me it completely defeats the sense of achievement of finding some rare monster and the need to go anywhere to find it. There is no sense of adventure anymore. The game has become a dull slasher. I wish they have added more quests instead.

I have to admit that I was also surprised of how many enemies there are now. On top of the huge range that we have now. And the event lasting till the end of the month. It's like Christmas came early this year. Although I'm not complaining. I was just surprised. Probably nice opportunity for people to play if they usually don't have time or they are, for whatever reason, limited to move around outside.

Well, we still have to walk to the Nemetons if we want to get coins. The amount of consumables needed now with stronger monsters is insane. And that one and only default crafting station is so sloooooooooow.

Plus side: I can now take proper fast phased walks again without checking my phone all the time : D I can do the killing at home.
Down side: I need tons of consumables if I want to take down all those strong enemies.

Few days back game changed locations for few herbs and one Nemeton. Messing up my nice "4 Nemeton" walk routines. Now I either have to change my route (that one Nemeton is now in slightly inconvenient place), or be happy with just 3 Nemetons. I'm still not sure if this is a yay or nay? But I guess it turns out to be yay, since one of the plus sides at the very beginning was the game taking me to places where I usually don't go. And shaking things up a bit here and there breaks the routine and takes you to new places again. Makes you search them again.

One more random Nemeton also changed it's place a bit, now being conveniently right next to our huge local hyper market's dairy shelves. Nice change of phase for casual shopping trip : D And amusement for fellow shoppers to watch two 40+ year olds playing mobile games. "Okay honey, next we need some milk, cheese, yogurt and one Nemeton".

Also a question to everyone: What "hidden" trophies/trinkets have you guys found? Besides those that you automatically get after completing quests. I got one yesterday after killing 5 specters in one hour.

Top Bottom