[MINOR GIG SPOILER] Watson Ripperdoc Charles Buck Should Be Reworked

+
As I said in the original post. There is no way that this particular "consequence" makes sense, whether you look at it from a gameplay perspective, or story perspective.

It’s also not an actual choice for a huge number of players, because they don’t know about the exclusive cyberwear when they make the call to kill him. He offers you a discount. He doesn’t say “Don’t kill me! I have these two exclusive cyberwear you can’t get anywhere else!”

The problem I have with the 'consequences of your action' philosophy here is that there really is no reason (beyond roleplaying the good guy) NOT to take the discount. It's not like there's a consequence if you choose to take him up on his offer.

Indeed, there should have been a consequence for your sparing the Ripperdoc and accepting the discount. For example, later a character you like or need is killed by a gang specifically to be sold to that ripperdoc.

But I do think that was a deliberate choice, because in the Cyberpunk world choosing to be a selfish immoral bastard is all upside and there are no consequences (until someone hires V to come kill you).

mbrto

Forum regular
V is no better than Charles though possibly worse i've lost count of how may people V has killed who were just loitering on a street corner for a can of spunky monkey, a burrito and a tattered bit of clothing, So V has no Moral highground,
depends
you can play this game without killing anyone

It’s also not an actual choice for a huge number of players, because they don’t know about the exclusive cyberwear when they make the call to kill him. He offers you a discount. He doesn’t say “Don’t kill me! I have these two exclusive cyberwear you can’t get anywhere else!”

Indeed, there should have been a consequence for your sparing the Ripperdoc and accepting the discount. For example, later a character you like or need is killed by a gang specifically to be sold to that ripperdoc.

But I do think that was a deliberate choice, because in the Cyberpunk world choosing to be a selfish immoral bastard is all upside and there are no consequences (until someone hires V to come kill you).

the first time you talk to him V says something like wow, you got some really hi end cybernetics. And you could have looked at, or bought his items never knowing what he did. He does offer you a discount regardless.

Its a realistic Night City type choice, with pretty realistic consequences.

the first time you talk to him V says something like wow, you got some really hi end cybernetics.

The first time I talked to him was when I came out of the basement horror-show into his clinic unexpectedly. I don't think that line came up, since I had not walked in to see him as a customer?

Perhaps I just shot him too fast once the situation became clear.

The first time I talked to him was when I came out of the basement horror-show into his clinic unexpectedly. I don't think that line came up, since I had not walked in to see him as a customer?

Perhaps I just shot him too fast once the situation became clear.

nah, it probably only shows up when you come in as a customer.

as of right now how much am i missing out on if i not take charles deal ?
is it significant ?
AFAIK he has only two exclusive items: Legendary Adrenaline Booster and Legendary Feedback Circuit.

How much 20% discount of his whole catalogue matters depends of much player is going to keep swapping cyberware. I have let him live and killed him and I can't say decision has had any sort of huge impact to my playthroughs.

Yep, it's not a "big loss", especially if you don't have the build (skill) that matches these two Cyberwares ;)

I kill him, which is bad for low end chrome parts.
But it removes a guy that sells trash at endgame levels.

he is fine being dead

For this particular ripperdock and basement ... you can visit that place in Act1 too, but is empty. It was pretty confusing and I've searched info on internet to confirm that discount can be acquired only at later game phase.

For this particular ripperdock and basement ... you can visit that place in 1ct1 too, but is empty. It was pretty confusing and I've searched info on internet to confirm that discount can be acquired only at later game phase.
Right, he is fine being dead, anyways hes a collaborator

Right, he is fine being dead, anyways hes a collaborator
There definitelly is one much worse ripperdock which you cant even punch in face if do not want lose access to special gear .. Night City is not much about good vs bad, it is about survial. I think that for that game envirnment is hard to apply norms from RL (mostly), it have its dark atmosphere which imo is really a good one. My V tends to show mercy sometimes, or close eye, but she definitelly have hers dark moments (often) :D

Last edited:
There definitelly is one much worse ripperdock which you cant even punch in face if do not want lose access to special gear .. Night City is not much about good vs bad, it is about survial. I think that for that game envirnment is hard to apply norms from RL (mostly), it have its dark atmosphere which imo is really a good one. My V tends to show mercy sometimes, or close eye, but she definitelly have hers dark moments (often) :D
a merciful V, such weakness.

i just kill everyone just like in real life would happen. and rob the doc.
i can always find legendary gear anywhere else

I understand your reasoning in your original post and I could agree somewhat that this character shouldn't necessarily have had unique implants not seen elsewhere and make you chose a 'bad' option to access them. It's kind of corny especially given they did this for a second time with Fingers.

However, I don't like the changes to cyberware and rippers in 2.0. I get from a gameplay perspective it makes things smoother and its easier to just pop to the closest ripperdoc, but it kind of ruins the point of having specific rippedocs to begin with and robs them of character. It makes sense that certain rippers would have implants that others don't, the fact that they literally have all the same cyberware that changes magically as you become stronger obviously is more convenient gameplay wise but it worsens the already flimsy veneer of Night City being a breathing city with its own character. Now ripperdocs are just a generic upgrade pitstop. At this point you may as well remove them altogether.

I understand that pre 2.0 it was difficult to know where to get the right upgrades for your playstyle, but there are more, and I hate to use the word, 'immersive' ways of doing it, like having individual rippers message you about new stock as you level up, or being able to pre-order specific implants online or something else to that effect.

Top Bottom