Idea: Death and Health Insurance

+
So I saw a mod the other day that sort of played on the idea that when you die you can use health insurance. I was thinking about it more and I thought it could be a really cool system. Hear me out, right now dying in this game is quite simple, you just reload a save and that's that. I'm more used to games that give penalties for death, such as losing some items, xp or getting a health cap. I was thinking perhaps that penalties could be added along with a health insurance system, where the better the plan the less consequences for death, at the exchange of money of course. You would then probably respawn at a hospital or ripper doc somewhere and then keep going. Perhaps there could even be a menu in a Truma Team ambulance where you select the plan after you die.

However after thinking about this I've become divided on whether or not it's a good idea. There's nothing stopping players from just reloading an old save anyway and bypassing the penalties, so perhaps it would just become redundant. But there are players who want more of a challenge and an immersive approach to death while also promoting the capitalistic and corporate nature of Night City. Anyway, tell me what you think or if there are any better ways to go about a 'health insurance system'.

Here is the mod I got the idea from:

I also mentioned the idea in another post of mine, I have some other ideas listed there too:

So I saw a mod the other day that sort of played on the idea that when you die you can use health insurance. I was thinking about it more and I thought it could be a really cool system. Hear me out, right now dying in this game is quite simple, you just reload a save and that's that. I'm more used to games that give penalties for death, such as losing some items, xp or getting a health cap. I was thinking perhaps that penalties could be added along with a health insurance system, where the better the plan the less consequences for death, at the exchange of money of course. You would then probably respawn at a hospital or ripper doc somewhere and then keep going. Perhaps there could even be a menu in a Truma Team ambulance where you select the plan after you die.

However after thinking about this I've become divided on whether or not it's a good idea. There's nothing stopping players from just reloading an old save anyway and bypassing the penalties, so perhaps it would just become redundant. But there are players who want more of a challenge and an immersive approach to death while also promoting the capitalistic and corporate nature of Night City. Anyway, tell me what you think or if there are any better ways to go about a 'health insurance system'.

Here is the mod I got the idea from:

I also mentioned the idea in another post of mine, I have some other ideas listed there too:
It could work, even with the reload issue, simply turn it backwards so to speak. So whenever you save, V makes a "deal" with Trauma team, which cost you some money and that allow the save to happen, that way you can't reload out of it.

Another way would be to use V's computer to sign a health insurance with Trauma team, which just automatically drain X amount of money per day. So even though you can still save scum, you have already paid for it. Different insurance plans could give different options, whenever you die.

But honestly, I would put my faith on the modders for stuff like this. CP, at least to me, never manage to came off as a deep RPG, but primarily as an action shooter game and stuff like this, is way to complicated for games like this. You need fast action, instant feedback and stuff that doesn't require to much thinking. Not meant as a "bash" on CP, but it simply isn't a game with a lot of depth to it or the RPG game that, some of us hoped it would be.

And for the people ready to jump me for that statement (guess there is a few :D) You simply have to look at the crafting system, loot system, skill system, food/water, health injections and even the quests. All of these works as they would in any game that is based on quick action shooting, where speed is more important than depth. You press a button and the effect is just there or instantly spammable during combat.

There is no skills aimed at RP, most likely because choices doesn't matter, so there is no need. But basically all skills are related to combat. Stuff you use skills for during missions, mostly relate to shortcuts on that specific mission or it give access to a loot crate and all of them are based on a "A > B = (You can do it)". That's about as deep as a skill check is in CP.

In my opinion, you want CP to be more of a RPG, we have to wait for the modding community to make a complete overhaul (If possible) as we have seen it done for Fallout and Skyrim, which will probably take a long time, but until then, I wouldn't expect it change a lot, it will be an action shooter with a linear story. Maybe CDPR have taken the feedback to heart from this one and maybe the expansions will have more options, but time will tell.

It could work, even with the reload issue, simply turn it backwards so to speak. So whenever you save, V makes a "deal" with Trauma team, which cost you some money and that allow the save to happen, that way you can't reload out of it.

Another way would be to use V's computer to sign a health insurance with Trauma team, which just automatically drain X amount of money per day. So even though you can still save scum, you have already paid for it. Different insurance plans could give different options, whenever you die.

But honestly, I would put my faith on the modders for stuff like this. CP, at least to me, never manage to came off as a deep RPG, but primarily as an action shooter game and stuff like this, is way to complicated for games like this. You need fast action, instant feedback and stuff that doesn't require to much thinking. Not meant as a "bash" on CP, but it simply isn't a game with a lot of depth to it or the RPG game that, some of us hoped it would be.

And for the people ready to jump me for that statement (guess there is a few :D) You simply have to look at the crafting system, loot system, skill system, food/water, health injections and even the quests. All of these works as they would in any game that is based on quick action shooting, where speed is more important than depth. You press a button and the effect is just there or instantly spammable during combat.

There is no skills aimed at RP, most likely because choices doesn't matter, so there is no need. But basically all skills are related to combat. Stuff you use skills for during missions, mostly relate to shortcuts on that specific mission or it give access to a loot crate and all of them are based on a "A > B = (You can do it)". That's about as deep as a skill check is in CP.

In my opinion, you want CP to be more of a RPG, we have to wait for the modding community to make a complete overhaul (If possible) as we have seen it done for Fallout and Skyrim, which will probably take a long time, but until then, I wouldn't expect it change a lot, it will be an action shooter with a linear story. Maybe CDPR have taken the feedback to heart from this one and maybe the expansions will have more options, but time will tell.
I can understand where your coming from, but I think the only reason this game didn't come off as a 'deep RPG experience' is simply because they didn't have the time to make it that way. But I'm thinking that now that the game is released and they don't have a deadline to meet that they would have more time to develop things. I don't know if I'm dreaming to hard, but I like to think of 2077 as an unmarked 'early access' game simply for that reason. Besides, this suggestions form exists for a reason, so maybe CD Projekt Red will listen? Either way, even if nothing happens it's fun to just make things up for the sake of it in my opinion.

Also, you're definitely right with the fact that modders would probably flesh this out a lot more, but a lot of my hopes were hightened when I heard that modders officially joined CD Projekt Red to work on this game, so I'm thinking that this sort of thing could happen for real as long as good ideas keep comming.

Anyway, it's nice to hear someone else's thoughts, so thanks! :)

I can understand where your coming from, but I think the only reason this game didn't come off as a 'deep RPG experience' is simply because they didn't have the time to make it that way. But I'm thinking that now that the game is released and they don't have a deadline to meet that they would have more time to develop things. I don't know if I'm dreaming to hard, but I like to think of 2077 as an unmarked 'early access' game simply for that reason. Besides, this suggestions form exists for a reason, so maybe CD Projekt Red will listen? Either way, even if nothing happens it's fun to just make things up for the sake of it in my opinion.

Also, you're definitely right with the fact that modders would probably flesh this out a lot more, but a lot of my hopes were hightened when I heard that modders officially joined CD Projekt Red to work on this game, so I'm thinking that this sort of thing could happen for real as long as good ideas keep comming.

Anyway, it's nice to hear someone else's thoughts, so thanks! :)
I think you are dreaming :)

Some of these changes would require a massive overhauls of both fundamental system in CP, but also with missions. Imagine having to rework the whole skill system to allow for skills that would have an effect in the dialog system, not to talk about them having to redesign the UI as well. As it is now, its basically "Do you have 8 points in <Skill X> then you can ask a certain question", but it doesn't go anywhere, it jumps straight back to the normal dialog afterwards.

So they would be required to add a lot of content to quests where they wanted choices to matter. And I just don't see it happening at this stage. Its clearly possible for them to do it, because we see it in action in the Maelstrom mission, which is why I hope that they will add some player choices in the expansions.

Stuff like food and drinks they should overhaul. First of all, we need the animations and working food stands, simply for the immersion. But also they are really annoying, to the point where you don't bother using them in my opinion. This is not so much CP in particular, its more of a general game mechanic I don't like, where you have buffs that only last a few minutes, so you constantly have to replenish them. And in CP you have to go into the inventory to do it, which just makes it even more annoying.

Food in my opinion, should be more expensive and you should buy it from the food stands and they should last half a day in game whatever much time that is. So its something you start the day doing and then sometime when its around 18-19 or something. That would be easy to make.

So stuff like that they could add and improve it RPG/immersion value a lot. But for the base game at least, I would be really impressed if they added such big changes to it, because it would basically be a remake as I see it.

I do however think they could "cover" it up, but adding mission packs to supply what is already there, so basically in-depth side missions, which would fill the player choice lacking from those quests there are in it now. But again, I doubt we will see it, I think their main focus for a long time will be on bug fixing.

One huge issue with any expansions as I see it, is that it needs to fly with the base game, so it would be a bit weird to suddenly add a reputation system for the gangs for instance, despite a lot of people wanting that, if it doesn't work or have any meaning in the base game. So my guess is, that CP will stay much the same with minor things added here and there, and any major changes will be in a potential CP 2 game.

As it is now, its basically "Do you have 8 points in <Skill X> then you can ask a certain question", but it doesn't go anywhere, it jumps straight back to the normal dialog afterwards.

So they would be required to add a lot of content to quests where they wanted choices to matter.
Skill choices doesn't matter in the game ever ? It seem to me, maybe sometimes yes :rolleyes:
or

Skill choices doesn't matter in the game ever ? It seem to me, maybe sometimes yes :rolleyes:
or
They matter as much as to whether you can get to a loot chest or not. :)

As I said these apply to a specific mission, meaning hardly anything have an effect on the game as a whole, its not like you choose something and Judy end up dying because of what you chose. Things that would affect your actually game experience passed that one mission. Again I know there are a few of these, but that is not the norm in the game, by far.

They matter as much as to whether you can get to a loot chest or not. :)

As I said these apply to a specific mission, meaning hardly anything have an effect on the game as a whole, its not like you choose something and Judy end up dying because of what you chose. Things that would affect your actually game experience passed that one mission. Again I know there are a few of these, but that is not the norm in the game, by far.
In the main story, yes. It's not the norm at all ;)
(River can die, I think. Never experiment it, but anyway, he's the exception).
It's probably a shame (or missed oportunity...), but I think it was intentional, for that all builds could do everything. It would really be silly, for example, if Judy could die because I don't have enough Tech/Body/Int/Cool skills... :)

But just the idea to paye an death insurance (like an expansive one) could work as second heart (except you wake up at the NC Hospital). Even if on my side, simply reloading the last save will be always better, but why not :)

Top Bottom