RTX 3060 Ti - Low FPS

+
For some reason I'm only getting around 35-45FPS on medium preset at 1440p. I've watched some benchmarks and the RTX 3060 Ti should be able to reach around 80FPS when using those settings. The weird thing is that my FPS is always the same whether I'm using ray tracing or not. The game just looks worse without it and runs the same. CPU usage is low and using DLSS drastically improves my FPS so it's not CPU bottlenecking. But even with medium preset, RT off and DLSS Quality I can't reach stable 60FPS.

Temperatures and boost clocks are good, GPU usage is 99% and all other benchmarks and games run fine. I have updated the latest drivers. So what's going on exactly?

Specs:
  • Intel Core i5 11400 (PL2 245W)
  • MSI Mag B560 Torpedo
  • 16GB DDR4 3600Mhz CL16
  • Asus RTX 3060 Ti Dual OC Edition @2140Mhz
  • Kingston 1TB A2000
  • WD Blue 1TB SN550
  • Seasonic Core GM-650
  • Phanteks P300A

DC9V

Forum veteran
  • Uninstall ASUS AI SUITE and make sure that it's actually uninstalled
  • Check CPU POWERPLAN in Windows settings and set it to HIGH PERFORMANS
  • Set adaptive Sync (Freesync/Gsync) to Fullscreen (NOT WINDOWED)
  • Edit: Disabling overlays might help (Discord, Steam, GOG, RTSS, etc)

Last edited:
For some reason I'm only getting around 35-45FPS on medium preset at 1440p. I've watched some benchmarks and the RTX 3060 Ti should be able to reach around 80FPS when using those settings. The weird thing is that my FPS is always the same whether I'm using ray tracing or not. The game just looks worse without it and runs the same. CPU usage is low and using DLSS drastically improves my FPS so it's not CPU bottlenecking. But even with medium preset, RT off and DLSS Quality I can't reach stable 60FPS.

Temperatures and boost clocks are good, GPU usage is 99% and all other benchmarks and games run fine. I have updated the latest drivers. So what's going on exactly?

Specs:
  • Intel Core i5 11400 (PL2 245W)
  • MSI Mag B560 Torpedo
  • 16GB DDR4 3600Mhz CL16
  • Asus RTX 3060 Ti Dual OC Edition @2140Mhz
  • Kingston 1TB A2000
  • WD Blue 1TB SN550
  • Seasonic Core GM-650
  • Phanteks P300A
You could also further analyse your PC with MSI Afterburner and the OSD it provides. There, you can check if the GPU is running at 100% (possible GPU bottleneck) or if any limit (power? thermal? voltage?) has been reached which prevents the GPU from performing better. Naturally, you can also keep an eye on your CPU but this is a bit more difficult.

From my experience and contrary to popular believe, Cyberpunk 2077 is not poorly optimised, but runs rather well compared to the provided visual quality. This especially holds for a newer architecture like Ampere.

From my experience and contrary to popular believe, Cyberpunk 2077 is not poorly optimised, but runs rather well compared to the provided visual quality. This especially holds for a newer architecture like Ampere.
In general it runs as expected, but it does have some major flaws in certain city area's where both GPU and CPU utilization can drop enormously.

R001c

Forum regular
Have you tried using Ultimate performance power settings?

Its not about FPS gains but getting power to your system when it needs it

• Uninstall ASUS AI SUITE and make sure that it's actually uninstalled
  • Check CPU POWERPLAN in Windows settings and set it to HIGH PERFORMANS
  • Set adaptive Sync (Freesync/Gsync) to Fullscreen (NOT WINDOWED).
Same issue as the OP. I have what are supposed to be high specs for this game and yet low frames. I'll try this

DC9V

Forum veteran
Same issue as the OP. I have what are supposed to be high specs for this game and yet low frames. I'll try this
I think the AI Suite bug has been fixed. Some while ago it was changing the CPU powerplan after every restart.
More commonly, low FPS seems to be caused by the interference of several overlays.

Last edited:
I think the AI Suite bug has been fixed. Some while ago it was changing the CPU powerplan after every restart.
More commonly, low FPS seems to be caused by the interference of several overlays.
Hmm maybe I have to update it because your suggestion was good help. Still not what I think it should be but definitely better. Thank you :)

DC9V

Forum veteran
It's weird. This issue has been present since day one, but so far nobody ever confirmed a solution, and it always seems to affect people using hardware form ASUS, which is why I've suspected AI Suite in the first place, but that obviously should be fixed by now.

Anyway, you might also want to update (better: flash) your BIOS with the newest version, because there seemed to be an issue with some B560 motherboards when pairing it with the core i5 11400, and if that didn't help, consider buying a new motherboard that is fully compatible with your CPU.

Also
It's weird. This issue has been present since day one, but so far nobody ever confirmed a solution, and it always seems to affect people using hardware form ASUS, which is why I've suspected AI Suite in the first place, but that obviously should be fixed by now.

Anyway, you might also want to update (better: flash) your BIOS with the newest version, because there seemed to be an issue with some B560 motherboards when pairing it with the core i5 11400, and if that didn't help, consider buying a new motherboard that is fully compatible with your CPU.
My system should be more than capable and everything is compatible:

Ryzen 9 5900x
Samsung 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD 2TB
Asus TUF B550 Plus
Asus TUF RTX 3070 OC 8GB (that's the only thing...it's not 10 like the 3080 but good luck finding one of those)
32 GB GSkill at 3200

I run it on W11 at 1440P, Freesync monitor settings on Ultra, RTX and all

No way there's anything should be running slow and I went from 30FPS (only in the crazy busy areas) to 45. Benchmark avgs 55FPS and used to be 45 before your suggestions

Last edited:
Well, that's quite an improvement!

How about other driver settings? There's an option for "prefer maximum performance":
You sir quite a chock full of useful info lol THANK you :) I also have an LG Ultra gear 32" but mine's 1440P@165
The other settings I already had EXCEPT the cyberpunk specific ones, I mirrored yours and am going to take it for a test run. Never heard of the Maximum performance one, I cant thank you enough

Well, that's quite an improvement!

How about other driver settings? There's an option for "prefer maximum performance":
Nvidia settings update: 55FPS nice and steady as before but this time almost zero obnoxious microstutter. Now that's a first for me and this has to be ar result of the program specific settings. Usually around the pool table or so I'll get a little hiccup, then around the bend when you go just outside the bar but man it was smooth sailing the whole time. Quick question, what does negative LOD bias "clamp" mean? I set it that way per your image, just curious
Post automatically merged:

Aight, good luck!
I don't own a 3070, but I found a video of someone testing the 3070 with the in-game benchmark.
He's getting approx. 70 FPS on average, using the High preset (RayTracing_OFF ; DLSS_OFF) at 1440p. It's a different CPU, but maybe it helps for a rough comparison.
I have all of those settings turned ON and on ultra lol
I can see that his settings has to earn better frames. I'm just an eye candy hoe and I bought the RTX specifically so I can turn on Raytracing, til then I was using a GTX1080 (which held up remarkably well considering) Since it's single player I'll take some performance hits.

DC9V

Forum veteran
Quick question, what does negative LOD bias "clamp" mean? I set it that way per your image, just curious
It's supposed to improve image quality when Anisotropic Filtering is enabled, but honestly I can't see a difference. However, forcing Anisotropic Filtering by setting it to 16x in the driver does make a difference (at least it did before Patch 1.5), regardless of the clamp setting.
Post automatically merged:

I have all of those settings turned ON and on ultra lol
I can see that his settings has to earn better frames. I'm just an eye candy hoe and I bought the RTX specifically so I can turn on Raytracing, til then I was using a GTX1080 (which held up remarkably well considering) Since it's single player I'll take some performance hits.
Sure, you can play with RT enabled, it's just easier to compare higher framerates. (Unless GPU usage is too low.)
They're also testing RT_Ultra + DLSS_Quality, at 9:50. You can find all the timestamps in the description of the video.

Last edited:
Top Bottom