Following the River - The River Ward thread

+
He really is. Being a private investigator isn't that far off from being a merc, just the difference between being hired to solve problems vs. being hired to cause them. Chaotic good River vs. chaotic neutral V, maybe. It'd make for a good balance between the two, I think.
Given V's routine disregard of the law and the ways you can encourage River in his quest line, I always saw the relationship from V's perspective as a kind of "let me let you be Good" thing that I really enjoyed, though it's been so long I don't remember how much of that feeling is pure headcanon.
Because no one was going to care about River with the girls existing! Okay, nastiness over I'm going to try to stay mostly positive from here on out lmao.
My existence on this forum is sustained by frustration and disappointment. Even just talking about what I like about River just makes me mad about how bad all of the endings are for him and V's relationship lmao

Guest 4412420

A little screenshot for Team River folks. :)
photomode_02092021_030347.png

There have been some changes for the quest "The Hunt" (for me at least).
- New dialogue lines when watching Harry's website.
- The sound of the AV (trashs) is now played during the BD.
- No sound issues...
It went from the most buggy quest in the game to an almost bug free quest, very cool :)

And I have to admit, River is really photogenic !
2fab8e99-43b9-4727-b45a-97b98b7a558c.PNG
736c50b3-333b-4c0d-8280-fae447143c1b.PNG
b56969be-5ee0-4c90-982d-5905ea48448e.PNG
e56f6280-426d-4275-b2d7-2097fca73331.PNG
cc786ae4-5e2b-4cb6-9ade-38164f1e29b4.PNG
7ede723d-5705-4ef6-a323-99c21b3a3f4d.PNG
0984f458-a87f-45a2-8bcb-c12e4a89626a.PNG
59e4d0ee-376f-4d9b-87d6-9706f1e9c618.PNG
66650720-7849-4234-916e-596910d56d6d.PNG

He's a Fox!!
Edit: his only flaw in character is to lead men on XD
Hehe great photos
Post automatically merged:

This is our favourite Jambalaya Master appreciation thread.

View attachment 11250145
It's a real pity there is so little content with River (romanced or not) in Cyberpunk. Who does not want to start a Private Eye Office with him?
This makes me think if River had opened the PI business during the storyline the office could be a small hub for new gigs. And more River of course.

Last edited:
He's a Fox!!
Edit: his only flaw in character is to lead men on XD
Hehe great photos
Thanks ;)
This makes me think if River had opened the PI business during the storyline the office could be a small hub for new gigs. And more River of course.
Yes, or maybe not real GIGs. I could see that more as private jobs for poeple who haven't enough money for pay a Fixer (a little bit like Nick Valentine for those who know what I'm talking about). Because I think if River starts to walk on "the flower beds" of Wakako, Padre, El Capitan, Dino, Regina or Rogue, it could end badly.

Thanks ;)

Yes, or maybe not real GIGs. I could see that more as private jobs for poeple who haven't enough money for pay a Fixer (a little bit like Nick Valentine for those who know what I'm talking about). Because I think if River starts to walk on "the flower beds" of Wakako, Padre, El Capitan, Dino, Regina or Rogue, it could end badly.
Oh yes. PI style Gigs
Post automatically merged:

Oh yes. PI style Gigs
Maybe played in black and white with neon lights in colour

Oh yes. PI style Gigs
Like a woman come at River's agency and said :
"Please, my son have disappear since few days... I died of worry !"
"I ask help to Wakako, but she want 10 000 eddies. I couldn't never pay that, I'm too poor, I don't work for corpo !"
"All I have it's 2000 ! Please, Mr Ward, help me, please !"

And River (a big heart ex-cops) :
"Ok ma'am. But you will pay only if we find him (alive)"
"V ? You could help ?"

V :
"Yes, why not !"

That could be awesome :)

If they do anything with River Ward maybe have him ask V about investigating maxtac if you read up on the lore of it and do a certain quest you find out its populated by "cyberpsycho's" Would be interesting to see more ncpd based quest chains i loved above the law outside of that the direction they took river ward with the hunt didnt really fit the narrative in cyberpunk all that well. I feel like its lost potential exploring more river ward and his story of a good cop in a city corrupted and rotten to the core. Maybe have some quest chains transforming river into an edgerunner or street merc. The other option is combining the peralez story and bring river into that particular conspiracy. If there is one thing that river ward wants its justice tying in the shadowy organization pulling hte strings of the peralez's minds would definitely bring the forefront of that particular thread nicely together with river's sense of justice and idealism

Like a woman come at River's agency and said :
"Please, my son have disappear since few days... I died of worry !"
"I ask help to Wakako, but she want 10 000 eddies. I couldn't never pay that, I'm too poor, I don't work for corpo !"
"All I have it's 2000 ! Please, Mr Ward, help me, please !"

And River (a big heart ex-cops) :
"Ok ma'am. But you will pay only if we find him (alive)"
"V ? You could help ?"

V :
"Yes, why not !"

That could be awesome :)
The only problem with a PI agency in-game, is that the game doesn´t feature any investigation mechanics at all. You can argue BD, but its just point-clicking in 3 layers instead than in 1 and with hints (you can search the forum, of how many people found BD mechanics boring). So unless the story is good (small cases are more difficult to have a good story), you will end up with fetch quests. If they manage to write a questline of 10-20 quests well written , might be much better.
Would be interesting to see more ncpd based quest chains i loved above the law outside of that the direction they took river ward with the hunt didnt really fit the narrative in cyberpunk all that well. I feel like its lost potential exploring more river ward and his story of a good cop in a city corrupted and rotten to the core.
Is also my feelings with the hunt, don't fit the narrative and themes of the game at all, you can put it in another setting without cyber and neons and the message is the same.

The only problem with a PI agency in-game, is that the game doesn´t feature any investigation mechanics at all. You can argue BD, but its just point-clicking in 3 layers instead than in 1 and with hints (you can search the forum, of how many people found BD mechanics boring). So unless the story is good (small cases are more difficult to have a good story), you will end up with fetch quests. If they manage to write a questline of 10-20 quests well written , might be much better.
It's for that I say "not like GIGs" :)
More like Highway Man, you have a (very) vague "clue" where her "son" have probably disappeared (like "he had to go to school at that address", so you have to look everywhere between school and home), you have to search clues in the area (with no quest area marker), maybe ask tramps hanging out nearby if they have seen something (maybe even you will need to convaince them, paid them,punch them...).

But obviously not like GIGs where you simply have to rescue people or even not like with the Scavs BD during Disasterpiece. Not interesting at all :)

Edit :
And it could go on a lot of interesting stuff like (some ideas) :
- He was kinapped by Scavs (so you have to investigate somewhere in a Scavs hideout), discover that scavs have "sold" him to Biotechnica for make experiences on humans (so you have to infiltrate Biotechnica facility).
- He was kinapped by "unknow" poeple who have weird blue eyes... So maybe it's the same organization as the Peralez (you have to find where, who, why,...)
- He's not as little as who said his mom. He have 16 years old and decided to join Arasaka "army" (like Goro). You also have to know where and how to get out him.

In short, it's not the "good" scenarios that are missing, I think.

Last edited:
More like Highway Man, you have a (very) vague "clue" where her "son" have probably disappeared (like "he had to go to school at that address", so you have to look everywhere between school and home), you have to search clues in the area (with no quest area marker), maybe ask tramps hanging out nearby if they have seen something (maybe even you will need to convaince them, paid them,punch them...).

But obviously not like GIGs where you simply have to rescue people or even not like with the Scavs BD during Disasterpiece. Not interesting at all :)

Edit :
- He was kinapped by Scavs (so you have to investigate somewhere in a Scavs hideout), discover that scavs have "sold" him to Biotechnica for make experiences on humans (so you have to infiltrate Biotechnica facility).
- He was kinapped by "unknow" poeple who have weird blue eyes... So maybe it's the same organization as the Peralez (you have to find where, who, why,...)
- He's not as little as who said his mom. He have 16 years old and decided to join Arasaka "army" (like Goro). You also have to know where and how to get out him.

This is a lot a matter of tastes, but this is the typical quest that i only do once since i feel is a dev trick to just make longer something.
PS: i was writing something larger,but feels like drifting too much the thread topic and since i agree that River and Kerry have been not treated equally i don't really oppose side quest for them (i can always skip them if implemented and i don't like the mechanics)

This is a lot a matter of tastes, but this is the typical quest that i only do once since i feel is a dev trick to just make longer something.
PS: i was writing something larger,but feels like drifting too much the thread topic and since i agree that River and Kerry have been not treated equally i don't really oppose side quest for them (i can always skip them if implemented and i don't like the mechanics)
I talk about a "free DLC" who add one and only one quest :(

So already assuming that it would be an investigative quest, it's better to avoid the quest markers that point directly to the place to look. And at worst, if you really don't find anything, there would be always an option to ask to River (who would obviously accompany you) if there isn't any advice/ideas/contact to call, to guide you a little.

Anyway, I'm not the one who going to teach to CDPR how write good stories, for sure :D

Edit : But even if it's not the best/interesting/well written quest in the game (Free DLC obviously), it could have some advantages. It's an "easy & free" way to add more River's content, to spend more time with him in the game and especially it would be way better than simply 2 jackets, a car or an alternative look of a character :)

Last edited:

Edit :

Highway man is when we need to find the photo location right?
I'd love more of these "unmarked" mysteries and the PI biz would be great for that in my opinion.
One of my favorite things in dead read redemption 2 that I hoped was in Cyberpunk on some shape or form were things like the treasure maps or the enigmatic ufo message. No explanation at all but a mistery to solve.
Night city is perfect for us to look at it, its map hud with detective instint turned on.

Edit: sorry I'm very tired, edited this post like 8 times.

Top Bottom