Play styles, what's fun and what's strong?

+
I'm on my second playthrough now, and a fair way through it (level 22 I think). What I'm asking about is "what are people's play styles" and what have you found to be interesting/fun ways to approach the game?

As with a lot of RPGs, well-made characters often end up being one-trick ponies. That is, they approach every group of enemies with the same basic precepts and lean heavily on their core competencies. That can make the game a little repetitive and grind-y the longer you are doing the same thing again and again. So, the main thrust of my question is "what play styles have made the game interesting and more enjoyable for you"?

For example, in my first playthrough, I played a streetkid Sandevistan-using Pistols/Revolvers Solo. Whilst I did use a bit of stealth I had virtually nothing invested in Cool or its perks (only the 20% stealth speed boost one). The character's use of stealth was really about observing & marking all of the enemy positions before launching an all-out assault. It didn't matter that enemies had spotted me because by the time my bullet-time had worn off, I was the last thing standing. I also had mantis blades fully up and running so for smaller clusters I could use those instead.

My second playthrough I'm playing a more classic corpo Netrunner style character. That's very much about taking out all of the enemies with quickhacks (often via cameras if available) without being detected, then casually strolling through and collecting the loot from their corpses. Although this netrunner is very strong I rarely feel under threat (like, I've not used a conventional weapon since about level 10). Also, pretty much the exact same tactic works in every single scenario. I very rarely need to swap my quickhacks out (sometimes I put in cyberware malfunction or cripple movement if I'm facing a boss). The usual loadout of short circuit, synapse overload, contagion, ping and (now I have 5 slots) cyberpsychosis is doing me just fine.

So - that 2nd playthrough is an example of a play style that's stronger than my first playthrough but actually IMO a little less fun because the same old tricks kill virtually everything in the game with very low effort required.

What other styles are popular? And what's fun?

Thus far my favourite has been John Wick style of pistol build. So obviously focus on handguns and also heavy focus on movement speed through body and cool and slowing down time with cyberware. It's very satisfying to run around the enemies scoring headshot after headshot dropping an entire group before they can even react.
My first build was also quite fun who was basically a stealth netrunner before netrunning was nerfed. Silent revolver + ping + contagion/short circuit was very OP and also fun.
I have yet to try a pure melee build but it seem very interesting based on the videos I've seen.

"PLAY STYLES, WHAT'S FUN AND WHAT'S STRONG?"

I prefer to play "strong" with my BFF Grad and Ping. However, with patch 1.3, CDPR has gravely evaluated the fighting, and has made being stealthy a lot more challenging. So now trying to play as a stealthy female ninja assassin. It works, as long I don't give in to my greed. Which is actually exactly the challenge I face every time.

I started a new playthrough intending to try a high body high cool tank-like build... But I find it hard to muster the energy to go through the heist again. Its just so boring.... wish I wouldnt have to do it in order to access the city at large....

But Im curious whether high cool actually adds dialogue and how much

Good question OP. I dunno about 'strong' but for sure V1 followed his natural inclinations and quicky became a hacker who only brought out the arsenal when things went wrong, which was rarely. I intended to swap things up for V2 but quickly found myself down essentially the same path, slightly more emphasis on incapacitation rather than kill but in essence a quickhacker. Had to wrench myself away from that for V3, due to a desire to try out some of the variety the game offers, and also with an aim to mopping up remaining trophies and previously untouched quests eg Beat on the Brat. V3 consequently couldn't even spell stealf, he just blasted tore punched and Hulk Smashed his way through anything in his way, ending with a Public Enemy Number One-esque killcount and more than a few admonishments from fixers for the lack of discretion. All 3 playthroughs were enormous fun though next time I really need to put a load of points in Cool early doors and try and Solid Snake my way around the city a bit more.

I play a Streetkid - with a ton of chrome and a mix of stealth / netrunning and guns blazing play style. Fav go to QHs are suicide / system reset / cyberpsychosis. My lowest investments are in cold (leaving it at level 4) and reflexes is my second lowest. Body / Technical Ability / Intelligence are my highest. I prefer legendary smart link to ballistic. Fav guns are tech / smart iconics like Lizzies gun (heat), Nash's tech rifle (chemical), Divided We Stand (also chemical), and the YingLong (electrical). Also the Achilles tech rifle, Kenshin tech pistol (I wish there was a legendary crafting spec for this one) and the L-69 Zhou smart shotgun in every flavor (once i get to legendary levels).

I went with a Stealth build with a secondary focus in Tech and Netrunning and found it... engaging. The goal was to clear areas out while going completely undetected almost entirely via breaking necks and stuffing bodies into containers. QH's and Tech (open locked doors) were supplemental toward that end.

There are a lot of interesting ways to utilize distractions. Using multiple distractions and good timing to split up groups of enemies to isolate one from the pack, chaining distractions together to "move" an enemy to a convenient spot, that sort of thing. Attempting jobs/missions without touching any of the enemies and without being detected can be fun as well.

As to whether it's strong.... A couple times to spice things up I went loud with the same character. Either by sniping everything at range or walking in the front door and blasting everything. This was on VH without ever wearing headgear against similar leveled enemies. So I'm not sure "good" or "bad" for builds/playstyle is a relevant factor.

I went with a Stealth build with a secondary focus in Tech and Netrunning and found it... engaging. The goal was to clear areas out while going completely undetected almost entirely via breaking necks and stuffing bodies into containers. QH's and Tech (open locked doors) were supplemental toward that end.
Yep, it's also my play style, it's very cool :)
Tech 18 > For open doors, crafting and retrieve mods when I dismantle items.
Int 20 > For legendary QHs and their passive effects (contagion spread bonus, short circuit for robots, Optic Reboot deamon, Ping,...), a quick upload time/great amount of RAM and obviously for money on access points.
Cool 12 > For add more damage to silenced weapons and increase stealth abilities.
Dext 14 > For add more damage to silenced rifles and guns, and also allow me to install rare Synaptic Accelerator (quite useful in stealth).
Body 5 > Only for Bredan and the fact that I have one Skill point remaining that I don't know where to put it.

For weapons, whatever the power gun, they all make it fine. An Ajax rifle for long range silenced shots (the only assault rifles who shot only one bullet at time, I think).

Last edited:
Hmm, I do find Corpo lifepath the most interesting. Then, yes, don't know why, but it associates with neatness of hack/stealth. But for me it's more like: start stealthy and methodically half-way through and then let the shitstorm begin. In other words, no patience for stealth and it is super fun to get messy in this game: head shots and chops with katana, c'mon :sneaky: in addition to upping some Reflexes and you're a killing machine.
Started investing less into quick hacks soon enough and went for tech skills to open all those doors into cars, rooms, pathways. Also, trying to aim for Cool more (to get into selfie with Kerry and Us Cracks this time xD ).

Oh! try missile launcher arm. It will kill you most of the times, but there is a thing about it, can't really put a finger on it, but it's satisfying.

Just about to boot the game up to continue my corpo. Before I do:

Are there any popular assault rifle or shotgun based play-styles? It's strange but Pistols seem to be the best mid/late-game ranged weapon hands-down, in just about all scenarios (especially once you have the perk to prevent damage-drop-off with range). Even worse the sniper & heavy rifles are hilariously weak.

Are pure melee builds interesting? I'm yet to try any of the arm cyberware except mantis blades. Monowire seems cool but for stealth kills I've always been more of a fan of the silenced revolver headshot. I read that gorilla arms don't actually do any of non-combat things they are described to do (like emulating high body for turrets/doors).

Oh, and does anybody actually use grenades? I have to admit that all I ever do with them is dismantle them for components (like all of the trash weapons/armour I find).

Also, I've just gotten my hands on a legendary cyberdeck and am now running 100% legendary quickhacks. Wow, I thought netrunners were strong before I upgraded. All of a sudden, between RAM, upload time & cooldown reductions I'm spamming legendary ultimate QHs like I was giving away candy.

Definitely when I do my third play-through (I'll take a nomad of course) I want to do something different to my previous two.

Are pure melee builds interesting? I'm yet to try any of the arm cyberware except mantis blades. Monowire seems cool but for stealth kills I've always been more of a fan of the silenced revolver headshot. I read that gorilla arms don't actually do any of non-combat things they are described to do (like emulating high body for turrets/doors).
Gorilla arms it's a melee "weapon" (Street Brawler) who deal great damage (and also effects if you add mods like bleeding) without carriyng weapon (the same as Mantis Blade for Blade weapons). And if you use Sandevistan early game and maybe Bersek after, yep melee build are as powerful as other build (it's matter of tastes like other builds).
And it's writed nowhere that Gorilla arms can/must increase Body Skill...

If you play with a Body/Dexterity build, Assault Rifles like Ajax for "long" range fights (Dexterity/Assault) and Shotgun for close range (Body/Annihilation), it work fine :)

Grenades ? Never use them, but seem to be quite powerful (but a little bit too quick for clearing enemies).

And it's writed nowhere that Gorilla arms can/must increase Body Skill

Oh, sorry, I wasn't clear. I mean that the description of Gorilla Arms says that you can use them force open doors or rip turrets off their mountings. Those are things which would usually require a high Body and the description says that Gorilla Arms let you do those things. But that's not true from what I read and Gorilla Arms don't do those things at all, you must really have a high Body to do them.

If it were true then I'd have bought Gorilla Arms for my netrunner because I have left Body at only 4 (for "I can see clearly now") and don't plan to put anything more in there.

I just bought Monowire actually, just to see how it looks in the game. It's alright but I'm never going to use it in a fight. Instant-kill legendary QHs are much more efficient because I can use them from a range.

Yep you're right, I didn't remember that. Probably a mistake in the description (or maybe they planned to add this ability and skip/cut it after) ;)
Same as you, only 5 in Body (4 for Brendan and one point more because I don't where put the last one). I only use Gorilla Arms for Beat on the brat and I directly switch after to Mantis Blade (I don't like the look of my hands with Gorilla Arms).

But anyway, all the builds are as powerful as other ones. The important is to try and see if it funny for you :)
With Bersek and a Body build, a "simple" baseball bat can be as devastating" as QHs for a Netrunner build.

"PLAY STYLES, WHAT'S FUN AND WHAT'S STRONG?"

I prefer to play "strong" with my BFF Grad and Ping. However, with patch 1.3, CDPR has gravely evaluated the fighting, and has made being stealthy a lot more challenging. So now trying to play as a stealthy female ninja assassin. It works, as long I don't give in to my greed. Which is actually exactly the challenge I face every time.
But being honest does not seem to be a challenge for you. That and knowing your weaknesses will continously improve you further.

Oh, sorry, I wasn't clear. I mean that the description of Gorilla Arms says that you can use them force open doors or rip turrets off their mountings. Those are things which would usually require a high Body and the description says that Gorilla Arms let you do those things. But that's not true from what I read and Gorilla Arms don't do those things at all, you must really have a high Body to do them.

If it were true then I'd have bought Gorilla Arms for my netrunner because I have left Body at only 4 (for "I can see clearly now") and don't plan to put anything more in there.

I just bought Monowire actually, just to see how it looks in the game. It's alright but I'm never going to use it in a fight. Instant-kill legendary QHs are much more efficient because I can use them from a range.
Monowire is great against groups of enemies since one side whip will hit all targets in front of you. So it's a lot better than MB or GA against large groups. Also I think that monowire is classed as a blunt weapon so it would get bonuses from street brawler but I'm not 100% sure.

Monowire is great against groups of enemies since one side whip will hit all targets in front of you. So it's a lot better than MB or GA against large groups. Also I think that monowire is classed as a blunt weapon so it would get bonuses from street brawler but I'm not 100% sure.
True, but Legendary Cyberpsychosis followed by Legendary Contagion also wipes out almost any group with my current V, and I don't need to go anywhere near them to use it.

That's especially true with the cyberdeck I started using recently, allowing ultimate QHs to spread once, so I get a twofer on the Cyberpsychosis.

I'm giving thought to playing a melee-focused build on my third play-through, when I eventually get around to it. Maybe Gorilla Arms + Berserk for mid/late-game murder, and for a change actually putting points into Cool and using the Cold Blood perk tree, which I have totally ignored so far.

My usual way to go were rifles (strong shot), silenced assault rifles and katana (Saburo's one) + Monowire with using lightly hacking. Possibility demolish whole Arasaka factory (or waves of SWAT or special ending) with just katana was/is my favourite action style for brutal assault approach. I used next setup: Str 16 (double hert). Ref: 18 (all these perks for rifles and katanas), Tech: 18 (upgrading things), int: 7 (perfectly enough for passive operations), Cool: 12 (with things up to that lvl).

My latest build which is still in early phase (before Heist) is my first real attempt try play different way with using knifes and silent takedowns ... it is about planning how to proceed through situations ideally unnoticed and strike from shadows. Attributes are planned: Cool: 20 (most of perks), Str 16 (Double heart), Int 7 (passive use), Tech 18 (upgrades), Ref 10 ... it will be more difficult and challenging, but on my 5th run I want try something different :) ... oh, and my V is Nomad .. I like this bacground the most.

I'm on my second playthrough now, and a fair way through it (level 22 I think). What I'm asking about is "what are people's play styles" and what have you found to be interesting/fun ways to approach the game?
What other styles are popular? And what's fun?
Well, my 'issue' is that I always gravitate to more or less the same aproach. Differences are nuanced.
But, as such I do have a very defined playstyle.

My generic approach is High HP, technical (no cold blood related perks). As far as clothing/armor I tend to dress as I please rather than whats good armorvalue wise. So you can very much expect me to enter combat scantily clad and with big guns :giggle:

Which brings to my arsenal, I tend to play around with just Quickhacks in the netrunner department, using system reset to silently take out some perimeter guards. Depending on my mood I continue the use silent kills ...
Or draw one of my big guns {Grad, SOR-22, Fenrir or Ashura and systematically blast enemies one by one. If the terrain allows I try to do it from rooftops or other elevated terrain as if I've got my own snipers nest.
SOR-22 and Fenrir as to weapon for when enemies get too close.

In general it makes battles feel like they last longer because I tend to jog for positions, watch and observe enemies moving (sometimes) franticly to find cover or hidey hole, and try to shoot me in my nest. Its actually quite good fun.
As a bonus you can hear then say all kinds of funny stuff. And some of them get blast from the Grad in the face for it:whistle:
I usually dont use any real cyberware with exception of the optics, cyberdeck and Tyger Claw smart link.
Also, when the desire is high enough... I've placed maybe 5 HMGs in my stash. So every once in a while, one gets emptied.

Deviations to this style can be that I choose to go heavier on cyberware and install Mantis Blades or Projectile Launcher or such, but my carried weapons dont often vary greatly.
I keep Sidewinder/DWS or the Prototype handy in stash, same as a Katana but thats about it.

Is the above a build? I dont think so per se, I'not tuned anything to work together really. I've dumped all my perk points in crafting stuff so and whats left is me just winging it.

Are there any popular assault rifle or shotgun based play-styles? It's strange but Pistols seem to be the best mid/late-game ranged weapon hands-down, in just about all scenarios (especially once you have the perk to prevent damage-drop-off with range). Even worse the sniper & heavy rifles are hilariously weak.

Shotgun and assault rifle has been very different kind of approaches for me. Shotgun is pretty up close and personal, assault rifles can be played both, mid and long range (long range being quite short in game compared to IRL) engagements. I saw Ajax mentioned and that's good but different assault rifles sort of enable different things. Copperhead is like AK-47 of CP 2077, then burst fire models like Arasaka Nowaki is perhaps best when aimed behind cover, more accurately landing shots, switching positions based playstyle. Smart Assault rifles are good if you bunker up and take longer bursts behind cover, general idea being that you let enemies come to you and play switching positions as retreating game, from one choke point to next.

While I think every assault rifle can be played with any style effectively, you may enjoy finding your style and weapon matching each others and even taking that in account regarding what perks you choose from Reflexes / Assault.

Shotgun is quite a different thing but there's great synergy in Body tree (Athletics skill progression is bugged though) but shotgun build allows great versatility between melee approach and.. well, you may enjoy having a shotgun during certain moments of story. Also note that you can also use light machine guns and heavy machine guns with that build, for more versatility. I recommend taking advantages of some cybernetic options like Synaptic Signal Optimizer for Body focused builds as getting close, effective shotgun range / melee range, you will take hits and it makes sense to build your V in a way that can sink those hits. Can be very fun.

Gorilla arms description in English version of game at least, that they enable bypassing Body attribute check when opening doors or ripping HMG's is incorrect indeed as they do not enable that. For melee, they are very powerful and pretty much must have if you are going to beat Razor in Beat the Brat story line.

My current playthough is a non lethal stealth guy, only reboot optics and ping as quickhacks. I try to get in and out without anyone noticing and only use lethal force if absolutely necessary.

Top Bottom