Harvest Of Sorrow - The final card drop of Price Of Power

+

rrc

Forum veteran
I'll probably get a lot of backlash for saying this but, I hope Gord gets nerfed. I never liked this card in ST (being auto incloude and stupid good for 7p) and I think we might get to a point with these new cards where gord just becomes too much. filavandrel is yet another unit that also plays a spell, harvest spawns a unit that can possibly play another spell and we havent even seen the other cards yet. I like spellatael being strong in a unique and interesting way, not in playing a 20 point finisher on top of (hopefully) strong synergy by itself. if it wasnt for gord maybe orb wouldnt have been a 6p and the elk not a 9p (just my assumption) and I feel like gord is a crutch card that ultimately has to keep other cards low bc it would be too OP otherwise.
To put it in simple terms: "Gord is the next Mystic Echo". Just because this card exists all cards that play a special card is costed more (no other logical reasoning behind Call Of Forest to be 10 when Royal Decree is 9 :mad:). I think it is the curse of ST. Every Elf is a +1 for Isengrim and Yeaven and every Deadeye is a +2 for Vernosil etc. I really wish these cards are removed (including Gord) and all other cards are fairly priced. It will allow more healthy situation for ST.

I also hate current ST spelltel. I usually give GG for even big defeats in the past because, you know, the opponent is playing ST. But this new Spelltel is disgusting and I don't feel like giving GG to this particular version of ST. I just finished a game in which my Hidden Cache lost 15-75 in a 6 card R3. :giveup:

Remove Gord and make Orb Of Insight as 5P which it should be (at the max) and the 9P spell should be made 6P to see any play.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Not a big fan of Spellatael (nobody hates Gord more than i do), nor of these new cards.

But i'll be damned if im not gonna play triple waters of brokilon Harmony with Fila and Fran, that's a promise :coolstory:

I'll probably get a lot of backlash for saying this but, I hope Gord gets nerfed. I never liked this card in ST (being auto incloude and stupid good for 7p) and I think we might get to a point with these new cards where gord just becomes too much. filavandrel is yet another unit that also plays a spell, harvest spawns a unit that can possibly play another spell and we havent even seen the other cards yet. I like spellatael being strong in a unique and interesting way, not in playing a 20 point finisher on top of (hopefully) strong synergy by itself. if it wasnt for gord maybe orb wouldnt have been a 6p and the elk not a 9p (just my assumption) and I feel like gord is a crutch card that ultimately has to keep other cards low bc it would be too OP otherwise.
It's not autoinclude, though. You only play it in Madoc control, symbiosis, or the new spellatael. It does nothing in any other deck, and it only goes "crazy" in spellatael because of the orb chains.

But yeah, it needs a nerf now - maybe just make it:
Deploy, boost yourself by the number of special cards in your starting deck, so that it maxxes out at 12, or better yet, boost yourself by the number of special cards in BOTH starting decks, just to make it a bit more fun. Maybe make it 8-9p tops. Then we'll be able to play it at any point in the game, and he won't get crazy.

That said, let's not kid ourselves dreaming about this one problematic card being nerfed and "all other units handicapped by it" getting buffed. You guys remember double waters getting nerfed? :D That elk is staying at 9 for at least 2 years. You heard it here first.

rrc

Forum veteran
Not a big fan of Spellatael (nobody hates Gord more than i do), nor of these new cards.

But i'll be damned if im not gonna play triple waters of brokilon Harmony with Fila and Fran, that's a promise :coolstory:
I also thought of Fila->WoB because of the simple question of "What is the costliest ST special we can play with Fila". But the more you think about it, Fila into WoB doesn't make any sense. We can play that in casual or Safe Space just to take a screenshot, but there is no way to win that game. That is without Fran in picture. With Fran and Fila, it is comically illogical to build a deck which can achieve that and pull it off.

Fila should get 8 points of hand boost which means, you are playing such a low tempo in R1 and R2 (or even R3) to get him to 12 power. In harmony decks, hand buff cards doesn't make much sense (would you rather develop the harmony engines first and then smugglers or play smugglers first?) And to pull of Fran, your deck should be special heavy and that is not how harmony decks are built. Harmony needs as much units to be played as possible.

The more I think about it, Filandravel seems weaker and weaker and over costed at 12P, but I will hold on until I see the patch notes.

May be it can be pulled off just for a meme satisfaction, but it would be Tier 50 deck.

Gord could be nerfed and become sort of like NG Enslave. Enslave can yoink a 6 power unit if you have 12 tactics in your deck. Gord can boost himself by 1 for every 2 specials played. That way you cut his ceiling by half. Rather than boosting himself with an average of 15 as he currently does, he boosts himself by 7-9 maximum. That will still make him strong, but at least he won't provide 3 times more value than his provision cost.

Pointslams and pointswing combos with no interaction that give you huge points with only a few cards involved in one turn should not be a thing. Too many ways to get the card you want with the tutors' abundance, so this only encourages polarized "one trick pony" decks. If you failed to contain your opponent's engine or to outgrow it with your own - you can't just swing the scales in your favor with one character. Damaging or destroying witchers are, at least, conditional.

Last edited:
Here's the first one for today:
1632218789555.png

The second one will be at 19:00 CEST. Ryan's tweeting daily reveal schedules again.

Here's the first one for today:
View attachment 11255458

The second one will be at 19:00 CEST. Ryan's tweeting daily reveal schedules again.

Why doesn't it have a mage tag? He has a glowing stick and a glowing hand, clearly magical. Also surprised that he isn't a Dol Blathanna card either, with the other card reveal would have thought they'd add one but maybe the existing ones get a rework here and there.

As for Gord, I never liked it because it is a bit stale. For literally years now it's a finisher card and I am just quite tired of the ST decks that play either council last or Fauve into council into Gord last. Also, I know he is a dual (?) card, he is in Syndicate also, but for me because of the art and all, he is a SY card, I have no idea why he is in ST in the first place aside from being a dwarf. For me he is a very syndicate'y dwarf and has no ST feel at all. But I doubt they will change him at least not for this expansion because the synergy with spells and nature is just too prominent.

The flute lady is nice I'm just not sure how much ruckus these elves wanna cause for the daisy of the valley, man, with the other flute lady card from this expansion it's getting kinda loud in the valley. And probably disharmonic lulz

Watcher of the Valley:

Perfect support for the handbuff archetype (invigorate).
Basically a much cheaper Sheldon Skaggs with two less body and bleeding instead of damage.
Bleeding is actually a huge downside as you often play handboosted units late in the round and so, do not get much value out of the bleeding.
The bonding effect may be very strong but is probably difficult to achieve as you need 2 (heavily) boosted watchers in one turn. A further advantage that the first played watcher is handboosted and, hence, difficult to remove.
Interactions with The Mushy Truffle appear to make no sense as you can not handboost it´s bonded spawn.

In the 4 provision spot this card is competing against Dwarven Agitator, Elven Wardancer and Vrihedd Saboteur. Saboteur and Agitator are hand-buff enabler. Elven Wardancer is a very similiar card but at it´s current state Watcher of the Valley offers way more upside potential.

Evaluation: I would give it a 7 out of 10. This is exactly what invigorate needs, but not sure whether this is enough to make invigorate really competitive.

Pretty underwhelming card tbh. Bleeding is slow and generally speaking you don't want to stack a lot of bleeding on a single unit. Bleeding is decent when your opponent plays a lot of units and you can apply bleeding to as many of them. That is why Bloody Good Friends is one of the best bronze cards in Gwent at the moment. Watcher is the Elf version of Cat Witcher Adept essentially. And CWA is bad.

Assuming you want to play this card, you would do so for the bonding effect, but the way this card is thought, it does not interact with Mushy Truffle. Sure, Mushy Truffle can spawn one, but it spawns a non-buffed one that doesn't do damage.

Also, if you don't have both Watcher cards in your hand for hand-buff, then they are pretty much useless.

My own evaluation is a 3 out of 10. Unless the existing hand-buff cards are not buffed or reworked, then why would you play this? If you need a 4p card that synergizes with hand-buff and provides reliable value, Elven Wardancer is your friend.

If Elven Wardancer gets just 1 point hand buff, she plays for 7 on deploy. Watcher needs to get 3 points of hand-buff to apply bleeding for 3 turns and if you have the other one in your hand, that one needs to get hand-buffed as well for the bonded damage. Also, the Watcher that you played for the bleed needs to stick on the board for the bonded effect to be triggered, otherwise you are stuck with another unit that gives bleeding.

Since we are speaking about hand-buff, I hope the developers are thinking of buffing the hand-buff bronzes a bit. Saboteur plays for 3 on board and 2 carryover hand-buff. At least make him a 4 for 6 FFS. Dwarven Agitator same, plays for 3 on board and 2 carryover hand-buff. Hawker Smuggler should be 5p. An easy to remove card that is also row-locked is too expensive for a 6p. Smuggler is in no way as good as other 6p cards such as Blightmaker for example.

Gord could be nerfed and become sort of like NG Enslave. Enslave can yoink a 6 power unit if you have 12 tactics in your deck. Gord can boost himself by 1 for every 2 specials played. That way you cut his ceiling by half. Rather than boosting himself with an average of 15 as he currently does, he boosts himself by 7-9 maximum. That will still make him strong, but at least he won't provide 3 times more value than his provision cost.
How is 10-point 7p finisher, which you have to boost and cannot play entire match "strong"? If you want to make him "like enslave," then he needs to be deploy-boosting whenever from the number of special cards in starting deck, and if you want to go 2 for 1, the his body would need to go to about 5-6. Better yet - something ST sorely needs - keep the body at 3, go to 10p and make him CHOP WOOD 1 for 1 instead of boost, something like ST version of Hjalmar or Carlo Varese, but instead of "cards in hand" it would be "special cards in starting deck."

I think ST once again has overpriced card looking at all these patches that give provision buffs to decent to good cards.Fil should be 11 or 10 provision and be a spell tutor bountiful harvest should be 5 provisions and damge a unit by 5 deathblow boost a unit in hand by 3

The Watcher is too weak with the bleed. 3 handbuff points on this to get to either slow 7, or straight 7 bonded? At first I thought it was a sort of the old swordmaster, which is how it should have been. None of this bleeding/bonded nonsense

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc

rrc

Forum veteran
Why doesn't it have a mage tag? He has a glowing stick and a glowing hand, clearly magical. Also surprised that he isn't a Dol Blathanna card either, with the other card reveal would have thought they'd add one but maybe the existing ones get a rework here and there.
Actually, the fact that this card doesn't have Dol Blathana is a very nice gesture towards ST. If it was a Dog Blathana, Bountiful Harvest would suddenly become a junk card as you would never want to play this card unboosted (unboosted watcher is worse than Wolf Pack).

That said, I hate this new card. It is too weak and super clumsy to play and all for what? Bleeding? The first two cards seemed ok ok (Fila being weak/okish card and Bountiful Harvest being a very good card IMO), but this one is very disappointing. Think about it. Say you have this card in hand in R1 draws. Are going to keep this 4P card in hand with a hope that you will draw into the other card? Would you rather have two of this 4P cards in hand assuming your Smugglers or Dunca will keep boosting them? The hand buffs from engines are random. You would need to play this card in the same round you would want to play the other card too and the first card would anyhow play for a weak tempo.

This card has a potential to turn every boost into x2, but the bonded for damage forces you to play one weak tempo card to get a potential big tempo play. Too much awkward interaction on top of already power-crept dead archetype. The only hope is, the patch notes will have some justice for the hand buff cards/leader. Otherwise, Watcher can watch Filandravel in the deck builder and keep him safe there.
Post automatically merged:

The Watcher is too weak with the bleed. 3 handbuff points on this to get to either slow 7, or straight 7 bonded? At first I thought it was a sort of the old swordmaster, which is how it should have been. None of this bleeding/bonded nonsense
With 3 boost, even the first one plays for 10 points, although 10 in 3 turns. And it is hard to remove too at 7 strength. So, if the next one also has 3 boost, then it would play for immediately 10 which is nice. But that is the theoretical scenario. Where are the 6 boosts coming from? Using leader on this card is one possibility, but would we wait for R3 and use two leader charges on these two cards? What if you have only one during R3 mulligan?

This card is super clumsy to use. It has potential, but is awkward and clumsy.

Last edited:
With 3 boost, even the first one plays for 10 points, although 10 in 3 turns. And it is hard to remove too at 7 strength. So, if the next one also has 3 boost, then it would play for immediately 10 which is nice. But that is the theoretical scenario. Where are the 6 boosts coming from? Using leader on this card is one possibility, but would we wait for R3 and use two leader charges on these two cards? What if you have only one during R3 mulligan?

This card is super clumsy to use. It has potential, but is awkward and clumsy.
Well, it doesn't play for 10, though, because it got that 3 from the handbuff card, so that 3 is part of that card's value to me. And to get 6 handbuffs on 2 4p cards is practically impossible, because there are so few non-random options. Sure, let me play Ithlinne just so I can get 4 bleeding points out of this 4p card...

• RED Point

rrc

Forum veteran
Well, it doesn't play for 10, though, because it got that 3 from the handbuff card, so that 3 is part of that card's value to me. And to get 6 handbuffs on 2 4p cards is practically impossible, because there are so few non-random options. Sure, let me play Ithlinne just so I can get 4 bleeding points out of this 4p card...
Very true. If we calculate the 3 boosts for this card, then the card that boosted this played for horrible horrible tempo. Classic case of double counting.

Also the Location card has a great ANTI-synergy with this card. Why printing such an anti-synergetic bonded card for ST when introducing a location which is supposed to help bonded cards. But my guess is, SK will get an amazing bonded card (it already has one, which was buffed last patch) in this drop so that it can use this location and the Bearifiaction which is also mostly used by SK only. Even the order ability has more synergy with SK.

DRK3

Forum veteran
I also thought of Fila->WoB because of the simple question of "What is the costliest ST special we can play with Fila". But the more you think about it, Fila into WoB doesn't make any sense. We can play that in casual or Safe Space just to take a screenshot, but there is no way to win that game. That is without Fran in picture. With Fran and Fila, it is comically illogical to build a deck which can achieve that and pull it off.

Fila should get 8 points of hand boost which means, you are playing such a low tempo in R1 and R2 (or even R3) to get him to 12 power. In harmony decks, hand buff cards doesn't make much sense (would you rather develop the harmony engines first and then smugglers or play smugglers first?) And to pull of Fran, your deck should be special heavy and that is not how harmony decks are built. Harmony needs as much units to be played as possible.

The more I think about it, Filandravel seems weaker and weaker and over costed at 12P, but I will hold on until I see the patch notes.

May be it can be pulled off just for a meme satisfaction, but it would be Tier 50 deck.

I didnt say it was gonna be good :shrug:

Yes, it's filled with anti-synergies. Yes, it will be a nightmare to get Filavandrel handbuffed to 12, unless the remaining ST card to be revealed helps up a lot with this. And yes, Filavandrel is probably overcosted.

I will try to do this on casual, it will probably take me a respectable amount of tries to do so.
But on a long R3, assuming i was able to get Fila to 12 before: play Fran, play waters of brokilon, play call of nature (or other tutor) to play Fila into 2nd WoB, spawns the 3rd WoB, in 3 turns.
The fledgling dryads will be all at 4pt, and elves wont procc em anymore, but with so many engines you can probably get a win with just bronze harmony proccs on the following turns (dwarves, witchers, beast, etc).

• RED Point
How is 10-point 7p finisher, which you have to boost and cannot play entire match "strong"? If you want to make him "like enslave," then he needs to be deploy-boosting whenever from the number of special cards in starting deck, and if you want to go 2 for 1, the his body would need to go to about 5-6. Better yet - something ST sorely needs - keep the body at 3, go to 10p and make him CHOP WOOD 1 for 1 instead of boost, something like ST version of Hjalmar or Carlo Varese, but instead of "cards in hand" it would be "special cards in starting deck."
Fair enough. A power/provision buff would even the odds. Him being 4 power and 6p should be more than enough. He would still get roughly double his provision cost in points with the way ST spells works now.

Hjalmar is kind of unique for SK and neutral Cleaver is unplayable crap. Nah, he should continue with boosting himself, but rather than 1 boost per special card played, it should be 1 for 2 special cards play, coupled with a provision and power buff.

Fair enough. A power/provision buff would even the odds. Him being 4 power and 6p should be more than enough. He would still get roughly double his provision cost in points with the way ST spells works now.

Hjalmar is kind of unique for SK and neutral Cleaver is unplayable crap. Nah, he should continue with boosting himself, but rather than 1 boost per special card played, it should be 1 for 2 special cards play, coupled with a provision and power buff.
Hjalmar isn't even unique ON SK: you have Lugos, Junod, Champion's charge, Tyrrgvi, etc. ST, on the other hand, has ZERO tall removal outside of Yaevinn and Oak, both of which require an exorbitant amount of board prep. Making Gord boost 1 for 2 AND keeping him a finisher (by boosting for cards played instead of in starting deck) will render him unplayable, no matter that power and provision buff. Might as well just toss the card.

Hjalmar isn't even unique ON SK: you have Lugos, Junod, Champion's charge, Tyrrgvi, etc. ST, on the other hand, has ZERO tall removal outside of Yaevinn and Oak, both of which require an exorbitant amount of board prep. Making Gord boost 1 for 2 AND keeping him a finisher (by boosting for cards played instead of in starting deck) will render him unplayable, no matter that power and provision buff. Might as well just toss the card.
Those are still SK cards and the reason why I say he is unique is because he interacts with the graveyard for tall removal. Lugos does not do that. Lugos is unplayable dung. Junod needs a damaged unit for removal and has seen play with the rework of Reckless Flurry. Champion's charge used to be popular in Warriors deck with Patricidal Fury. Same with Tyrgvi.

I don't think ST as a faction was envisioned to be built around tall removal, but rather micro management kind of removal. ST in my view has always been a combination of engines, point slam and control, while SK, with the exception of the Druid package has always been focused on control first and foremost.

Making Gord and 4 for 6 and being able to buff himself to around 14-15 is still powerful, with all the specials going around in ST at the moment. That's over double his provision cost. In any case, Gord should be addressed. I watched bushy's last YT clip playing ST spells and in the last game he dropped a 23! point Gord, so +20 boost. That's insanely unbalanced and has to be addressed. I have rarely seen this past 2 months a Gord being dropped with less than 18 point value.

Top Bottom