Harvest Of Sorrow - The final card drop of Price Of Power

+

rrc

Forum veteran
Bushy had mentioned (and kind I agree with him too), that bonded units will never be meta as, if it gets a little famous, Assimilate will raise harder and can do better than the opponent and can easily backfire on them. Imaging playing one MM (Mediating Mage) and the opponent goes on to play 5 copies more than you.

But this MM is too toxic. This is just going to make the meta even more no-unit-y-full-control-y. You can potentially have 16 to 20 points of carryover just through non-commital cheaper cards. The opponent will have to commit all their removal for this stupid 4P card otherwise, they will lose. Dwarfs are supposed to be "The Resilient" guys, but they have to commit 9P or 10P cards (and only two of them) and both of them play for horrible points for their provisions (8 for 10, 5 for 9) because "Resilient" is OP. But now, it is cheap as hell and can get huge carry over (imagine 3 or 4 MMs surviving and all get Vitality and Resilient; it is much much better than the dwarfs). Moreover, opponent can immediately purify the Dwarf resilient cards, but MM can hold on until the opponent passes and get the resilient and vitality for the next round and insta win.

Overall, a super toxic, super cheaper version of one of the most premium thing in the game. My only hope is, NG keeps these kind of unhealthy toxic things at bay so that poor people who want to play devotion Torque will have any chance of winning.

Raffard´s Venegance

Intereresting design. It´s order is very strong (basically one extra turn).
Also it´s passive ability (conditional 2 random damage) is not bad. Biggest downside is huge removal risk so that its just a 5 for 8. As the card can do nothing in first turn

Also I can see this card synergizing with many NR strategies:
  1. Snowdrop synergies for the deck with Istredd many drawers, deck boosters and Erland as a finisher
  2. Triggering Siege/Bombardment
  3. Shieldwall to protect the powerful card
  4. Inspired Zeal to benefit from the order immediately
Evaluation: I would give it a 6 out of 10.
Post automatically merged:

Mediating Mage

As already stated NR has the opportunity to spawn many of these cards in one turn. Untill now She Who Knows had the most Resilience potential (Earlier it was dwarfs with two resilient dwarfs).
The big challenge of a deck focusing on this card might winning the round you build up all your mages, the next round appears to be won almost certainly with many mages. Further challenge might be when to trigger the order (Maybe you should have at least 2 vitality to bring him a bit away from removal risk).

Evaluation I would give him a 9 out of 10.

Bushy had mentioned (and kind I agree with him too), that bonded units will never be meta as, if it gets a little famous, Assimilate will raise harder and can do better than the opponent and can easily backfire on them. Imaging playing one MM (Mediating Mage) and the opponent goes on to play 5 copies more than you.

But this MM is too toxic. This is just going to make the meta even more no-unit-y-full-control-y. You can potentially have 16 to 20 points of carryover just through non-commital cheaper cards. The opponent will have to commit all their removal for this stupid 4P card otherwise, they will lose. Dwarfs are supposed to be "The Resilient" guys, but they have to commit 9P or 10P cards (and only two of them) and both of them play for horrible points for their provisions (8 for 10, 5 for 9) because "Resilient" is OP. But now, it is cheap as hell and can get huge carry over (imagine 3 or 4 MMs surviving and all get Vitality and Resilient; it is much much better than the dwarfs). Moreover, opponent can immediately purify the Dwarf resilient cards, but MM can hold on until the opponent passes and get the resilient and vitality for the next round and insta win.

Overall, a super toxic, super cheaper version of one of the most premium thing in the game. My only hope is, NG keeps these kind of unhealthy toxic things at bay so that poor people who want to play devotion Torque will have any chance of winning.
I feel like the usage of a random number generator plays a significant part in helping the devs make some decisions like how much provisions a card is, how many points does it play for, what effect it has, if it's gold or bronze etc. lol It's an answer to anything they're not sure about or can't agree on.
I base this on the lack of consistency in many things, as sometimes resilience is expensive but then all the sudden they decide to make it dirt cheap.
Kind of like when Game of Thrones show writers decide to make dragons either useless (getting sniped from a few kms of a distance by a boat and then even getting hit with 100% accuracy/hit rate while falling down xD), moderately powerful or plain OP depending on what kind of a dramatic effect they wish to get. :)

Last edited:
  • RED Point
Reactions: rrc

DRK3

Forum veteran
New cards:

Alissa Henson - really interesting and opens up so many possibilities, some which may be problematic.
I like to see this Journey character, but i would have loved more to have Nimue and Condwiramurs (the side chars of Yen and Triss journeys) also get their own card.

Alumni - another crappy card to remind us all how NR Patience is terrible in control metas, which all metas are... :giveup:

Chapter of Wizards - seems good for mage swarm, but a bit overcosted no?

Reworks and old cards:

Woah, i was happy to see VW.alchemist changed... only to look at the right and its just a swap abilities with spotter, so it cant be spawned by scenario :cry:

Gord - YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! Death to Spellatael.

Drill - mega nerfed, probably enough to completely remove it from the meta (thankfully). But freakshow will now take its place (it was already included as "backup drill")

rrc

Forum veteran
vanadain now its a card kill or
Wait, why? Sorry, what did I miss about Vanadain which made him a kill or lose card? Did Waylay get changed so that it always spawns the deadeye irrespective of Deathblow?

Last three cards:
1633355295977.png

1633355320328.png

1633355345313.png

DRK3

Forum veteran
The best news for me was the part where they changed their end of year plans, and instead of getting the 1st part of the next expansion, we will get another 12 card drop.
I addressed this issue on a post a couple of days ago, its almost like they've seen it and dealt with it (seen on link below):

The 12 card drop we got on March was one of the best IMO, better than certain expansions - although it also brought some problematic cards, that persist to this day. If we also get a Xmas event and maybe Project Golden Nekker, it will be awesome.

[...]
Alumni - another crappy card to remind us all how NR Patience is terrible in control metas, which all metas are... :giveup:

Chapter of Wizards - seems good for mage swarm, but a bit overcosted no?
[...]
Chapter allows for playing 2 bronze Patience engines in the same turn and thus makes answering them a lot, lot more difficult to answer.
Not to mention that the Runeword creates one very durable engine.

Alumni might be viable with Chapter creating 1-2 more Ban Ard Students/Aretuza Students and Shani/Reinforcements further extending the effective number of copies.

Wait, why? Sorry, what did I miss about Vanadain which made him a kill or lose card? Did Waylay get changed so that it always spawns the deadeye irrespective of Deathblow?
Alissa.

Play venadain.

Play your both waylay.

Play alissa.

Play simlas.

5 turns.

If you dont answer venadain he will create 6 deadeye form himself. Also you can kill some cards, so more deadeye created.

Simlas will play for 14 with the damage.

Alissa its 6 for 7, not bad..

So lets assume half of your waylay kill cards.

we have

7 (venadain) + 6 (alissa) + 2 simlas + 27 (9 deadeyes) + 18 damage) equal 60 points in 5 turns. I think that is pretty good

NR
They saved the best for the last :) NR has the best designed cards from the entire PoP. It's a shame that they cannot compete with poorly designed cards like Mammuna or Witch Apprentice.
Chapter of Wizards - bit boring for a legendary, but not every card can be the star of the show. Anyway, it'll be a massive boost for mage decks.
Raffard’s Vengeance - love it! I think it should have at least 1 armour tho.
Alumni - amazing card, really well designed. It's a big pay-off card, but unlike in other factions, you have to work for it and your opponent can do something about it.
Meditating Mage - this is what Watcher of the Valley could have been. You can even try to bouild a deck around it. I don't think it'll be competitively viable, but it has great meme potential for sure.

Alissa.

Play venadain.

Play your both waylay.

Play alissa.

Play simlas.

5 turns.

If you dont answer venadain he will create 6 deadeye form himself. Also you can kill some cards, so more deadeye created.

Simlas will play for 14 with the damage.

Alissa its 6 for 7, not bad..

So lets assume half of your waylay kill cards.

we have

7 (venadain) + 6 (alissa) + 2 simlas + 27 (9 deadeyes) + 18 damage) equal 60 points in 5 turns. I think that is pretty good
That's a meme. It'll be a lot more annoying in NG i'm guessing. Now they can finally double Yenvo. yay!

That's a meme. It'll be a lot more annoying in NG i'm guessing. Now they can finally double Yenvo. yay!
i dont think its a meme.

The snowdropp thing and also renew i can agree its a meme.

This combo its pretty solid. You want alissa in you deck because she is really usefull with simmlas, no matter the card you use it.

Same goes to simlas.

the only card you will put more in the deck its venadai, so if you dont get the cards to do the combo, you have only a 7p useless card

DRK3

Forum veteran
So, we are getting 12 new cards in December, and it was more than hinted they will be old leaders with their respective artwork.
The first was confirmed - Radovid. Another is almost a guarantee, since its the most requested card in Gwent for YEARS, and also its biggest meme - Dagon... if they dont add him then, they're playing with fire and i fear pitchforks will be used...

Lets do some research work to single out which leaders - before they were converted to leader abilities and their artwork ditched - are still not in the game, and might be coming in December. Also, its HIGHLY likely it will be 2 for each faction, just like in March:

NR:
Radovid - CONFIRMED
Henselt
Demavend
Ada
Calanthe

SK:
Bran
Svalblod

ST:
none (although Eithne's original artwork wasnt reused yet, so maybe alternate version)

MO:
Dagon - leader from betas, never in HC, most wanted (was a weather leader)
Arachas Queen

NG:
Ardal
Calveit

SY:
Gudrun
Hemmelfart
Dijkstra
King of Beggars

i dont think its a meme.

The snowdropp thing and also renew i can agree its a meme.

This combo its pretty solid. You want alissa in you deck because she is really usefull with simmlas, no matter the card you use it.

Same goes to simlas.

the only card you will put more in the deck its venadai, so if you dont get the cards to do the combo, you have only a 7p useless card
I don't see why you want her in deck or how she's useful for Simlas. If you're running just one set of bronze specials for Simlas and somehow have to brick it or something? But who does that? And if you're just moving one bronze back into the deck, for Simlas or otherwise, you're wasting provisions. More likely, if it finds a way into a non-Vanadain ST deck, it would be to move a tutor back or something, but I'm not even sure that's going to be worth it, since it's basically anti-thinning. And as for Vanadain combo, it's a meme, because it requires ridiculous amounts of set up. If you want to run it in R3, you will probably want to play feint death in R1 without Vanadain, because otherwise you will self-clog, then in R3 you play Vanadain, so discarding 2 other R3 cards, you have to make sure you have Simlas in hand, you have to make you have Alissa in hand, you have to make sure you have to Waylay in hand. Then it's Vanadain-waylay-waylay-Alissa-Simlas, 5 turns: 6+9+9+6+2+9x4=68 (an average of `13 per turn) ONLY if V stays alive AND every waylay kills exactly an ideal 3-point target, which will NEVER happen even once. So you'll probably be looking at about 50 points over 5 turns if all works out, and if it doesn't you basically lose, because that's your entire R3 win condition. Therefore: meme

I don't see why you want her in deck or how she's useful for Simlas. If you're running just one set of bronze specials for Simlas and somehow have to brick it or something? But who does that? And if you're just moving one bronze back into the deck, for Simlas or otherwise, you're wasting provisions. More likely, if it finds a way into a non-Vanadain ST deck, it would be to move a tutor back or something, but I'm not even sure that's going to be worth it, since it's basically anti-thinning. And as for Vanadain combo, it's a meme, because it requires ridiculous amounts of set up. If you want to run it in R3, you will probably want to play feint death in R1 without Vanadain, because otherwise you will self-clog, then in R3 you play Vanadain, so discarding 2 other R3 cards, you have to make sure you have Simlas in hand, you have to make you have Alissa in hand, you have to make sure you have to Waylay in hand. Then it's Vanadain-waylay-waylay-Alissa-Simlas, 5 turns: 6+9+9+6+2+9x4=68 (an average of `13 per turn) ONLY if V stays alive AND every waylay kills exactly an ideal 3-point target, which will NEVER happen even once. So you'll probably be looking at about 50 points over 5 turns if all works out, and if it doesn't you basically lose, because that's your entire R3 win condition. Therefore: meme
Why you are going to run only one set of bronze? If you are doing that the problem its yours, not the deck.

For the "you have to have sure you have x card in hand" its only simlas, vanadain and alissa. If you have one or 2 waylay in hands you will put they back in the deck with vanadain.

For the points, i also said half of the waylay kill the cards, so i already count it.

For the possibility to vanadain dies, yes i also considered that, thas why i said in my first post "vanadain its now a kill or lose card".

Also the combo i said its 5 turns, you can complete with more 5 turns with cards like vernossiel or isengrim

If you consider a combo as a meme you problably consider all other combos as meme. Double/triple melusine for you should be a meme too. The same goes to the Alzur/orbs combo

But i will stop here, i know how much some players like SC and for then its "or SC is tier 1 or everything sucks"

Why you are going to run only one set of bronze? If you are doing that the problem its yours, not the deck.

For the "you have to have sure you have x card in hand" its only simlas, vanadain and alissa. If you have one or 2 waylay in hands you will put they back in the deck with vanadain.

For the points, i also said half of the waylay kill the cards, so i already count it.

For the possibility to vanadain dies, yes i also considered that, thas why i said in my first post "vanadain its now a kill or lose card".

Also the combo i said its 5 turns, you can complete with more 5 turns with cards like vernossiel or isengrim

If you consider a combo as a meme you problably consider all other combos as meme. Double/triple melusine for you should be a meme too. The same goes to the Alzur/orbs combo

But i will stop here, i know how much some players like SC and for then its "or SC is tier 1 or everything sucks"
No, not every combo is a meme. A meme is a deck that has the potential for a large point swing - like Simlas+4 waylays with Vanadain on the board, but is also too fragile and convoluted to win consistently on the ladder or become meta. That's why this "combo" is a meme.

And as for "one set of bronze," that was exactly my point. Nobody does that. So how is Alissa useful in a Simlas deck otherwise? Why do I want to "have" her in my Simlas deck? That was my question to you.

Top Bottom