'Price of Power' Expansion REVIEW

+
This is kind of superficial as I've had very little time to play and this post is rushed. But, while the expansion brings a lot of fun cards, I think the balance is horrible -- and without balance, "fun cards" will not remain fun for long. But we have moved beyond simple OP cards into something much worse -- OP packages. It looks to me that two to 4 decks will totally dominate -- and even variants of those decks will not be competitive
Post automatically merged:

In particular, I don't see how any pre-POP card packages will compete with SK rain's 100+ point swings or NR resilience's 40 points of carry over into both round 2 and round 3. Monster relicts or double Keltulis, ST spell repetition, or new NG stuff might have a chance with the right tech -- that remains to be seen. But I can think of no older or meme decks that even have a chance.

Last edited:

DRK3

Forum veteran
The 'Price of Power' expansion of Gwent was the first to follow a different structure, and be divided in 3 sub-expansions.
These sub-exp. were released in the span of 4 months, each containing 26 cards, which sums to a total of 78 cards.

This system started garnering criticisms by the release of PoP part 2, but those have increased up until now, that the 3rd and final part was released. The results of Lion-hart's poll on this subject show that the general feeling of the playerbase is that this system didnt work well, and despite being evasive, the devs acknowledged this feedback and hinted they will change it in the future.

I always had a different view - even though i agree this expansion didnt work well and brought up a lot of new problems, adding to the usual ones with every expansion, i think the issue wasnt the format. I believe the format could work, as long as it's better executed.

And now, the different angle i promised:

GWENT EXPANSIONS - NEW CARD NUMBER:
(its possible the numbers are a little bit off due to tokens and small exceptions)

Crimson Curse - 103 cards
Novigrad - 90 cards
Iron Judgment - 81 cards
Merchants of Ofir - 70 cards
Master Mirror - 71 cards
Way of the Witcher - 71 cards
Price of Power - 78 cards

As you can see above, the PoP expansion had just a slightly bigger cardpool than the 3 previous expansions, but still smaller than the first 3 expansions.
I think that's the problem - if you're going to make an expansion, divided into 3 sub-sets, then it needs to be HUGE, so that each sub-set may be smaller than the previous individual expansions, but all sub-sets combined makes it much bigger than any of the other expansions.

I think the cardpool of PoP overall, should have been 120-150 cards (so 40-50 cards each sub-set).
Getting more than 2 different bronzes for each faction would make a huge difference, increasing diversity, possibly even supporting different archetypes and playstyles, and hopefully powercreep wouldnt have been shoved so hard down our throats, in a cheap attempt to give impact to the new cards.

Also, this symmetry probably hindered their success: all sub-sets following a rigid structure of 26 cards, 4 cards of different rarities for each faction plus 2 neutrals. It would be more organic if on some sub-sets some factions got more focused while others less, as long as overall they balanced each other out.

BE REALISTIC, NOW
To be fair, the complexity of cards on PoP is much higher than in the first expansions, the complexity has been increasing successively, which is a positive, but designing more complex cards is definitely harder, hence the corresponding decrease in the expansions cardpool.

And know im asking a lot. Probably too much.
Lion-hart when doing his poll explained that the different options he gave, were all under the conditions that the dev teams resources were limited, so the total number of cards we would get would be the same in all of the options (every 2,3,4 or 6 months).

Well, i dont accept that limit. The fault is probably not on the developers, but on CDPR itself and the higher-ups who underfund Gwent and yet expect great results and revenue from it. And i dont believe in magic - no matter how many systems and innovations the Gwent team tries, the game wont come close to its potential (as in, compete with the biggest CCGs out there) if it doesnt have the resources it should have.

If this came from a small indie company, i would obviously be more tolerant, but not when CDPR made record-shattering results in the past years, and even after Cyberpunk's backlash, it still got amazing financial results - and of course, it wouldnt be necessary to fully invest those profits in Gwent to significantly improve it, but definitely more than it gets now, where the most perceptive playerbase can see through the cracks and see something isnt right.

[...]
Well, i dont accept that limit. The fault is probably not on the developers, but on CDPR itself and the higher-ups who underfund Gwent and yet expect great results and revenue from it. And i dont believe in magic - no matter how many systems and innovations the Gwent team tries, the game wont come close to its potential (as in, compete with the biggest CCGs out there) if it doesnt have the resources it should have.

If this came from a small indie company, i would obviously be more tolerant, but not when CDPR made record-shattering results in the past years, and even after Cyberpunk's backlash, it still got amazing financial results - and of course, it wouldnt be necessary to fully invest those profits in Gwent to significantly improve it, but definitely more than it gets now, where the most perceptive playerbase can see through the cracks and see something isnt right.
(y)

See, DRK, there's an inherent problem with big rich gaming companies - being big as they are, they have to prioritize reliability/consistency/profit (does it remind you of anything?), which automatically means not doing things just for art and for the sake of creating something outstanding. There have been some amazing projects in the past that had all the potential to redefine the whole genres, but never did, because it was risky.

Here's a case study.
For about 13 years, Blizzard had been an exception from this sad rule, but...I'm sure you're aware or the recent developments, starting from around 2015. HOTS was (still is) the best MOBA around in many ways, but at a critical moment, it was denied the love and funding it needed to make it big, just because it was risky and didn't promise enough zeroes in revenue. So now it will never be that big, industry-changing project.

Gwent has the potential to be the best CCG around. In some ways, it is. But it has been denied the love and funding it needed to....you get it, don't you?
Bottom line, it won't happen. Let's blame capitalism or something.

Now that PoP3 is out, i have to say, i like this expansion. Every faction got some interesting cards, not in every card drop, but overall i like the new cards/decks, even MO (PoP3 only, i HATED MO in PoP 1 and 2, and not even all 4 cards, only Incubus and Yaga are somewhat interesting). Hopefully they'll nerf the broken staff soon - NR and SK.
On the other hand, i did not like how PoP was released. As was already said above, there are many new issues.

Kegs
Not beeing able to buy and open kegs on release suck! Kegs should come with the first card drop, not the last.

Excitement
Expansion should be something you are excited for, not the perpetual state of being. With alternating expansion and leak seasons there is far less excitement for me, there is always an expansion, it's nothing exceptional, nothing out of ordinary.

Lore
PoP lore is just incoherent, stretched too thin or insufficient. Some of them work, but ST for example is all over the place.

Archetipes
There is no way you can establish an archetipe with 4 cards, just look at PoP1 NR and SK.

Suggestion:
Smaller expansion (+-50 cards) every 3 months, plus faction challenges or events. So that there is challenge season, leak season and expansion season - something is happening all the time, but it's not the same thing every time.

DRK3

Forum veteran
See, DRK, there's an inherent problem with big rich gaming companies - being big as they are, they have to prioritize reliability/consistency/profit (does it remind you of anything?), which automatically means not doing things just for art and for the sake of creating something outstanding. There have been some amazing projects in the past that had all the potential to redefine the whole genres, but never did, because it was risky.

Here's a case study.
For about 13 years, Blizzard had been an exception from this sad rule, but...I'm sure you're aware or the recent developments, starting from around 2015. HOTS was (still is) the best MOBA around in many ways, but at a critical moment, it was denied the love and funding it needed to make it big, just because it was risky and didn't promise enough zeroes in revenue. So now it will never be that big, industry-changing project.

Gwent has the potential to be the best CCG around. In some ways, it is. But it has been denied the love and funding it needed to....you get it, don't you?
Bottom line, it won't happen. Let's blame capitalism or something.

I agree that's how big companies - in the gaming industry or otherwise - behave, and its understandable, after all having profits is their main goal.

But that's why i disagree with your take - i never implied i expected CDPR to be the good guys and risk losing money for the sake of art or their players enjoyment.

I dont believe it would be such a significant risk, after all Gwent is a CCG, and perhaps im being ignorant here, but i dont think you can take risks within that genre as big as you can on AAA games. I do think their investment would be proportional to their increase in revenue from Gwent, maybe not in the short term but in mid-long term. And it would benefit all parties.

I agree that's how big companies - in the gaming industry or otherwise - behave, and its understandable, after all having profits is their main goal.

But that's why i disagree with your take - i never implied i expected CDPR to be the good guys and risk losing money for the sake of art or their players enjoyment.

I dont believe it would be such a significant risk, after all Gwent is a CCG, and perhaps im being ignorant here, but i dont think you can take risks within that genre as big as you can on AAA games. I do think their investment would be proportional to their increase in revenue from Gwent, maybe not in the short term but in mid-long term. And it would benefit all parties.
Mostly true. But also - AAA projects require way less maintenance in long term and ultimately bring more "safe" short-term money due to "hype->millions of dollars on release" cycle.

Like, to do a CCG justice you need to have a decent dedicated team (at which point you kinda spend a lot of money, almost comparable to AAA development costs) and if stars align right, this investment will pay off manifold, but it can end up in a flop just as easily. Whereas even the disaster that CP77 turned out to be translated to crazy good revenue. It's just safer, if we took potential losses through the reputational damage out of the equation. And the reason that last remark matters, is that for big companies immediate profit matters way more than the potential for growth and even reputation in general. Sounds weird, but it's true. But also not that weird. A single one-off AAA can easily set up a bunch of managers for life, whereas a maintenance project, despite its higher ceiling in the long run, is ultimately a lot more headache and risk. Or, in familiar terms, pointslam doesn't always beat greedy engines, but it's just more reliable in this meta.

Top Bottom