IMPORTANT PRODUCTION UPDATE

+
the "we want to make it right" sounded honest at least. I can wait for you guys to get it right, just don't drop it at the bare minimum, please.

The vast majority moved on months ago, so not like it really matters if you release it tomorrow or 6 months from now. Those that are gonna play the game again will do so regardless. Better to release a better product that repeat the same mistake.

And your source for this is?
Edit: Also the note directly mentions PC
Oops, didn't notice it. It makes no sense since PC is not next gen, the right rig is already way better than the new consoles... Oh, well, we'll see what changes :)
Thanks for pointing it out.

Even if it first feels bad, I really appreciate that they learned the lesson and the games will be out, when they are actually ready. Totally support this decision!

At this point it's kind of hard to keep comments respectful.
Respect is something that is earned and lost with deeds.
I'm very, very disappointed... in myself. In hoping for a company to actually try.

Well we've heard similar with; "When its ready"

However, if the CDPR management have actually listened to the devs this time, perhaps it will be ready this time round, since the devs are the ones on the front line doing the actual legwork. :shrug:

On one hand, it makes me sad that we are gonna have not a 3 but a 6 month delay for the Witcher 3 Update..
On the other hand though, all of us would prefer a proper upgrade instead of a rushed or unfinished one. Also this delay gives to many of us the time we need to upgrade our rigs to a somewhat desirable level since the GPUs' prices are still on the roof.

On one hand, it makes me sad that we are gonna have not a 3 but a 6 month delay for the Witcher 3 Update..
On the other hand though, all of us would prefer a proper upgrade instead of a rushed or unfinished one. Also this delay gives to many of us the time we need to upgrade our rigs to a somewhat desirable level since the GPUs' prices are still on the roof.

What would the "next gen update" even do to the PC version? A good rig already puts PS5 and Xbox to the trashcan. I hope they redo the char creation or something like that, cause graphics-wise, the game is using the latest tech already. (textures and models being bad is not technology related)

It was inevitable. They were already pretty unsure at the last investor call whether the game was gonna make Q4 2021.

"as development of the game is still going plans maybe subject to change" "We're working with an external studio we've worked with before". [due to a change in development process which may -- or not -- cause a delay]

At least they didn't beat around the bush about it. I wouldn't blame anyone for seeing this as another "delay because we've hit an unexpected roadblock". I hope that isn't the case. The game has enough holding it back as it is. Sounds more like "it's not quite there yet" for whatever reason. Maybe it'll give consumers a chance to get their hands on a next-gen console / GPU :p.

I think the majority of players have already moved on and would happily wait a bit longer. This isn't the first game that has been pushed into 2022. It does raise expectations though. The next-gen version had the luck of releasing in a AAA dead-zone. Now? Not so much. Lots of games coming in early 2022.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see. Hope we'll get a better game at the end of it.

What would the "next gen update" even do to the PC version? A good rig already puts PS5 and Xbox to the trashcan. I hope they redo the char creation or something like that, cause graphics-wise, the game is using the latest tech already. (textures and models being bad is not technology related)

It's mentioned that the PC version has suffered as a direct result of old-gen consoles holding it back. Think, texture pop-in. downgrades etc. I'm sure you can search this forum and find many threads on the subject. The next-gen version would allow them to remove said bottlenecks, and add (visual) features into it.

Graphics-wise the game on PC actually only used the latest tech way before vanilla. Then the renderer changed since the old gen consoles could not support it frame-wise.
If you want to see some of the cool stuff that were cut from the game, here, feel sad.

As for what the new upgrade will bring, a New engine with Fresh DirectX API supporting Ray tracing and then, new 4k textures, Volume based Translucency, Better LoD and Draw Distance.. These are some of the most important upgrades that they will prob gonna give us with the upgrade.
Also, they may even add the gorgeous NVIDIA WaterWorks that was also in the game, before being also cut eventually, but not shown in the linked video.

Graphics-wise the game on PC actually only used the latest tech way before vanilla. Then the renderer changed since the old gen consoles could not support it frame-wise.
If you want to see some of the cool stuff that were cut from the game, here, feel sad.

As for what the new upgrade will bring, a New engine with Fresh DirectX API supporting Ray tracing and then, new 4k textures, Volume based Translucency, Better LoD and Draw Distance.. These are some of the most important upgrades that they will prob gonna give us with the upgrade.
Also, they may even add the gorgeous NVIDIA WaterWorks that was also in the game, before being also cut eventually, but not shown in the linked video.

Ahh, I didn't mean Witcher 3.

Sounds like they downgraded cp77 on pc only to "sell" the next gen patch as something new while it'll probably just restore the old graphics, because I don't see how any change in the PS4 version should affect the pc version. :shrug:

Edit: Nvm, you were talking about W3
Regarding W3, I wouldn't have too much expectations, it'll be for free. There's probably a single intern in saber interactive trying to port mods already available on pc to consoles. A modder actually confirmed he was contacted by CDPR for his mods on W3. That's why it's taking this long IMHO.

Last edited:
PC is already the next next gen if you have the proper rig.
even on PC CP2077 has almost nothing "nex gen" visually speaking: just the RT, pleasant ok, but that's it, as for the rest the lod is something obscene, the textures are low res and cars made with 4 polygons (very squared), the water is rendered and animated as in games of 10 years ago and I could continue...

Why is there so much negativity about this? I get a delay can be disappointing, but this kind of attitude is what led to managements' horrible decision to force Cyberpunk out too early to begin with.

I understand CBP release was a let down and not all it was promised to be, just like No Man's Sky, but there's a big difference between the two. CBP had a team developing it during lockdowns and quarantines where NMS did not have to deal with that. Combine an overhyped player base and shareholder agitation about delays with an overwhelmed and stressed dev team that can't collaborate with each other as effectively not being in person, and poor management choices, and that's what you get; a let down.

At least this time around, they have (hopefully) learned the lesson about releasing things too soon.

It's mentioned that the PC version has suffered as a direct result of old-gen consoles holding it back. Think, texture pop-in. downgrades etc. I'm sure you can search this forum and find many threads on the subject. The next-gen version would allow them to remove said bottlenecks, and add (visual) features into it.

the next gen patch will not affect pc version of the game, one of the devs said it in a tweet some time ago

It’s kind of a sad affair that this sort of thing - a ”next gen upgrade” and the hoo-ha around it - actually needs to be a thing in a world where graphics already are as good as they are.

It’s kind of a sad affair that this sort of thing - a ”next gen upgrade” and the hoo-ha around it - actually needs to be a thing in a world where graphics already are as good as they are.

This whole obsession with graphics is a massive reason why games take so long and release is garbage states. They spent years making the city in excruciating detail and had no time left to actually put anything in it. I'll take a functioning, interactive city over a postcard. The moment you go outside the designated gig and reported crime map markers there is NOTHING, like 90% of the real-estate serves absolutely no actual function whatsoever, it's just something you drive past on your way to the next map marker.

You want realistic graphics? Look outside the window.

Just look at all the stuff you can do in games like GTA 3 or Saints Row 2. You have gang wars and random encounters galore.

Guest 3847602

Just look at all the stuff you can do in games like GTA 3 or Saints Row 2. You have gang wars and random encounters galore.
I'll take Mafia over either of those. Lost Heaven is not especially suitable for messing around, it's not interactive as cities in GTA and SR and this is not due to Illusion Softworks wasting entire budget on fancy graphics. Mafia simply doesn't aim to be open world sandbox. Just like Cyberpunk, just like TW3 before it.

Top Bottom