[Spoiler Alert] About the endings

+

Do you want more RPGs with happy endings?

• Total voters
and vast majority of that content is go here.. shoot/incapacitate people quests.

so the story of ho you lived is... violently/murder people thumbs up.
Post automatically merged:

Well written there should be zero or very little suspension of disbelief.

Fallout 3: Find your dad. not imminent, but a motivator
Fallout 4: (got criticized many places with a hurry hurry find your son! but then it not mattering and being ignored many places)
W3: find siri... but isn't she'll die in weeks and no idea where she is.. hence having to go all over to multiple places to look (i.e. encouraged to explore and go to areas..) no dire ticking clock - a motivator.. strong one.. not a must find her in X weeks clock.
RDR2: ticking clock to death is revealed later in game.. and is a slow burn.. not imminent.. but coming
Mass Effect 1: mostly find rogue agent.. THEN later turns into some threat from reapers.. and only near the end is it.. omg must act now hurry...
ME2: important mission but in large part investigatory and not a universe end in X days but instead going after , in time when find out, allies of reapers
ME3: heavily criticized for its millions/billions dying daily ticking clock but it not mattering at all
FO:NV: no big ticking clock... have desire to resolve who off'd you and why and situation with the factions

See the pattern?

Most require no or little suspending disbelief. The ones that muck it up.... history remembers less fondly.

VS.
Weeks to live (at max!!)
reminded over and over your brain being rewritten at an alarming rate
every story quest has one or more fall down lose control of body as youre in that bad a shape.. not simple cough or feel bad, not some blurred vision.. but literal fall down on ground and have cardiac event

all of that motivates normal humans to go.. hey need to resolve this ASAP!!!!! especially as it isnt done with a macabre.. you have X weeks/month to live and its going to fail and no hope but make the best of your time as it is. With that simple change.. wont end well.. enjoy the time you have. the entire player motivation changes to the world and doing as you want with the time you have.

But no... its entirely.. main quest and many side quests reinforce and reinforce the .. hurry.. must find cure.. youre losing percentages of your brain every.. single.. day

" But if people are completely unprepared to suspend any disbelief at all then you just end up in a situation where a game must be either open world with super bland quests or ultra linear like a Resident Evil game"
FO3 does it... FO:NV does it... RDR2 does it... W3 does it... ME1 does it.... ME2 does it...
no - you dont have to have a binary URGENT ticking clock vs totally linear game... its been done .. and done WELL numerous times
On witcher 3, the world is about to end. Clearly you missed this. But I get that you don't like it in Cyberpunk.

On witcher 3, the world is about to end. Clearly you missed this. But I get that you don't like it in Cyberpunk.
If I remember, in the same way that the world you (geralt) visit with the elf ('cause the "white frost", in french) where you can die pretty quickly outside :)
And also in ME1 even before not that about reapers, Anderson told to Shepard to find and stop Saren by all means as fast as possible. Because he know "well" Saren : he really hate humanity and with a ship of this kind, he have probably plan to attack and destroy as many colony as possible... But yeah, no "real" urgence, you can ignore it for sure :)

Last edited:
If you paid attention it starts with find ciri... and over time mention a prophesy that people do not fully understand.

Geralt isn't saying , nor Yen.. have to find ciri.. the world in in trouble...

it's vague dream = ciri might be in danger, then meet Yen and learn yes she seems to be in danger but also emperor wants to find her.

Even at the fight at Caer Morhen it isn't we must save siri and save the world!! it is siri is in danger, lets set a trap for the hunters.

The elven sage quest lines opens up the white frost danger but, again, in case you forgot, he had ben cursed into a form and could not communicate any of the ultimate danger.

Clearly you missed the entire story progression to defend your ticking clock flawed viewpoint.
Post automatically merged:

If I remember, in the same way that the world you (geralt) visit with the elf ('cause the "white frost", in french) where you can die pretty quickly outside :)
And also in ME1 even before not that about reapers, Anderson told to Shepard to find and stop Saren by all means as fast as possible. Because he know "well" Saren : he really hate humanity and with a ship of this kind, he have probably plan to attack and destroy as many colony as possible... But yeah, no "real" urgence, you can ignore it for sure :)
I can't help you if you think ME1 did it poorly. I think the places to go, dont know where rogue agent is, by all means travel around was done very well.. especially as you were sent to hunt him as a rogue agent , no one understood the reaper threat then.

I can't help you if you think ME1 did it poorly.
I didn't say ME1 did it "poorly" (If it was the case, I will not have bought all the trilogy episodes at their releases and even less the Legendary edition...)
It's just another way who is also good in my opinion. But as you say, I can't help you if you find Cyberpunk did it "poorly" ;)

And anyway, in my opinion, if we feel the urgency in CP, it's because it's well done. In many games, you know it's main quest only because it noticed as "main quest" in your journal. Make main quests less "urgent" for let players roaming or make side quests more "important" is not the best solution for me :)

Last edited:
On witcher 3, the world is about to end. Clearly you missed this.
No it isn't.

If memory serves... The White Frost caused worlds to slowly freeze. The game never offers a complete explanation for why it happens (there are theories but I can't recall anything definitive). For most of it all you get is some prophecy and little hints Ciri might be able to do something about it. The phenomenon is occuring on the Aen Elle world and had been for some time. In fact, this is part of the reason Eredin was after Ciri. She was a means to relocate his people to the world of the Aen Seidhe (Geralt's world) to conquer it and escape the White Frost.

I do not believe the Conjunction of the Spheres at the end is caused by the White Frost either. Avallac'h and Ciri trigger it because he had been grooming her to go out and put a stop to it. I presume Ciri must portal "somewhere" to do so. In the process this triggers another Conjunction. Although, the details there weren't exactly crystal clear either. Nothing pointed toward the White Frost being a world ending problem in the immediate future for the Aen Seidhe world.

I'd add, that whole bit was arguably shoehorned in at the end and out of place. Outside of the Eredin + Aen Elle world state connections and brief bits on the prophecy it's not critical for the overall narrative. Even if the White Frost didn't exist Eredin would have wanted Ciri anyway. Thus, he would have pursued her and Geralt would have had cause to find and protect her.

Regardless, to some extent, yes, TW3 screwed the pooch on pairing urgency with open world. I don't see how that really addresses the criticism.

Its interesting to still see that after all of this time, and all of these votes, the majority still want a better/happier ending for V.

Its interesting to still see that after all of this time, and all of these votes, the majority still want a better/happier ending for V.
Either I'm terrible at maths, it's possible. Either I missunderstood the poll options, it's also possible, but :
  • No, I'm happy with the ending available > 190 > 12.26%
  • Option avaible for those who want (for me it mean that they are happy with the endings available but are fair enough to think for those who are not) > 449 > 28.97%
  • I want an Happier ending > 615 > 39.68%
  • I don't count "it's more complicated", because it's more complicated :D
So,
  • Happy with endings available (fair or "less" fair) > 12.26 + 28.97 > 41.23%
  • No, I'm not happy with available endings > 39.68%
It doesn't sound like a majority for me. At best, 50/50 to be fair :)

Either I'm terrible at maths, it's possible. Either I missunderstood the poll options, it's also possible, but :
  • No, I'm happy with the ending available > 190 > 12.26%
  • Option avaible for those who want (for me it mean that they are happy with the endings available but are fair enough to think for those who are not) > 449 > 28.97%
  • I want an Happier ending > 615 > 39.68%
  • I don't count "it's more complicated", because it's more complicated :D
So,
  • Happy with endings available (fair or "less" fair) > 12.26 + 28.97 > 41.23%
  • No, I'm not happy with available endings > 39.68%
It doesn't sound like a majority for me. At best, 50/50 to be fair :)
I don't think 'option should be available for those that want it' at all equates to happy with the endings available and shouldn't be lumped in with the 12.3% who like the endings. If anything it skews to the not happy with the endings option. Pretty sure i voted that and i detest the current endings.

Pretty sure i voted that and i detest the current endings.
"Pretty sure" ? I think you can "see" your vote after cast it, at least, on my side, I can :)
Maybe it's a french "thing", but "for those" don't include "me", the one who speak (except if something like "me included" is added in the same sentence).
Anyway, if someone detest/hate/don't like the current endings, It seem to me that the obvious vote is "Yes, I miss an happy ending".

"Pretty sure" ? I think you can "see" your vote after cast it, at least, on my side, I can :)
Maybe it's a french "thing", but "for those" don't include "me", the one who speak (except if something like "me included" is added in the same sentence).
Anyway, if someone detest/hate/don't like the current endings, It seem to me that the obvious vote is "Yes, I miss an happy ending".

Then completely sure. That seems to me to be the best option for people who dislike the current plot cancer setup and think a happier personal ending for V should be an option as well as darker options being possible. I no more want wall to wall happiness, anymore than i want wall to wall bleakness. The poll doesn't even touch upon main things i detest about the endings either.

1636196172798.png

I don't think 'option should be available for those that want it' at all equates to happy with the endings available and shouldn't be lumped in with the 12.3% who like the endings.
Indeed, it should not. It can be interpreted in ways that are total opposites, as you've demonstrated, which I would say invalidates its use as an argument in this regard.

In my opinion, both that and the "it's complicated" ought to be disregarded if looking at how many voters are happy vs. are unhappy. Which would give a result of about 75% unhappy, 25% happy since "unhappy" has roughly three times the number of votes of "happy".
There is no "prettying up" that statistic, nor does there need to be when it comes to personal opinions.

Then completely sure.
You just caste your vote ? (1551 votes and 450 for this one intsead of 1550 and 449) or someone have vote surprinsingly right now :)
In my opinion, both that and the "it's complicated" ought to be disregarded if looking at how many voters are happy vs. are unhappy. Which would give a result of about 75% unhappy, 25% happy since "unhappy" has roughly three times the number of votes of "happy".
There is no "prettying up" that statistic, nor does there need to be when it comes to personal opinions.
Yeah if you ignore +50% of votes, it's a vaste majority :)

But even with the vote "Yes, I miss an happy ending", I think (maybe I'm also wrong) it doesn't say that they think endings are "bad" or that they didn't like them at all. They just want to have an happier ending among the other ones.
Like me about the Devil ending. Even if it's not an ending that I like to choose (really too sad...), but this ending still great anyway.

You just caste your vote ? (1551 votes and 450 for this one intsead of 1550 and 449) or someone have vote surprinsingly right now :)

Yeah if you ignore +50% of votes, it's a vaste majority :)

But even with the vote "Yes, I miss an happy ending", I think (maybe I'm also wrong) it doesn't say that they think endings are "bad" or that they didn't like them at all. They just want to have an happier ending among the other ones.
Like me about the Devil ending. Even if it's not an ending that I like to choose (really too sad...), but this ending still great anyway.
No i voted months ago.
Yeah the poll is nothing to do with whether the endings are bad or good. It's about whether they should be bleak, happy or with potential for both.

Guest 3847602

I can't help you if you think ME1 did it poorly. I think the places to go, dont know where rogue agent is, by all means travel around was done very well.. especially as you were sent to hunt him as a rogue agent , no one understood the reaper threat then.
No one... with one tiny exception - Commander Shepard, the character you're playing as.

Then completely sure. That seems to me to be the best option for people who dislike the current plot cancer setup and think a happier personal ending for V should be an option as well as darker options being possible. I no more want wall to wall happiness, anymore than i want wall to wall bleakness. The poll doesn't even touch upon main things i detest about the endings either.

View attachment 11262892
This. I voted that option because I personally want potentially happier endings, but I understand people being satisfied with what we have now. There's so many reasons voting for that option.

No one... with one tiny exception - Commander Shepard, the character you're playing as.

Who had.. no idea what the reapers really were... where they were.. when they would come.. how to find out. Ergo - travel and discover.

slow ticking clock.. SLOW.. big threat.. but unknown when clock hits zero (as the clock had actually been frozen) and the plot was big baddie tryign to restart the clock (which is revealed immediately before final mission).

Guest 3847602

Who had.. no idea what the reapers really were... where they were.. when they would come.. how to find out. Ergo - travel and discover.
Shepard knows that:
1) Reapers wipe out the Protheans
2) Saren wants to bring them back
3) Reapers are a threat to every specie in the Galaxy
He doesn't know when the clock will hit zero, but he should know that every moment spent not pursuing Saren makes Saren closer to succeeding, because there is no reason to assume Saren will sit idly and wait for Shepard to deal with Geth incursions, Rogue VI, lost data module on monkey colony or Dr. Saleon.
If this was real instead of a video game scenario, Shepard would be a complete idiot if he'd spend one minute doing anything but going after Saren.

If this was real instead of a video game scenario, Shepard would be a complete idiot if he'd spend one minute doing anything but going after Saren.
Anderson :
"You're the only one who can save the galaxy, you're the first human spectre ! We all count on you !!!"
Shepard :
"It can wait... no ?"
"I have to find a data module by searching every monkey on the surface of Attican Beta."
"After I have to solve a problem in the Citadel with a religious Hanar..."
"And I also have to quicly scan all the keepers in the Citadel, as long as i'm here"
"But I promise, next week, I start to search Saren !"

Last edited:
Top Bottom