Sound Issues

+
Hi, ever-one I have an issue with Radio Voulme when I entering the car the radio volume is too low on cars could anyone please help I tried many ways to fix it. Still, the issue remains am using latest version of the game & my audio drive is a Realtek audio driver using the latest version of audio drives.

It's your lucky day, Choom! You can trust my golden ears!

1) Go to the settings and lower your SFX, Music, and Dialogue Volume by the same amount. You can use these settings if you wish:

Cyberpunk 2077 Screenshot 2021.04.18 - 17.29.09.28.png

2) Now simply turn up the volume of your headphone and the Car Radio Volume will appear louder in relation to the rest!

Note: Setting the maximum value to 90 while testing allows you to keep some headroom, just in case you want to fine-tune it later on. Depending on the situation, you might want to turn up the Dialogue Volume, so I recommend to keep that one below 90, too.
And you also might want to lower the system sounds in the windows settings by 50%.

Cheers!

I've been experiencing constantly popping audio since launch. Before 1.02 it would start after an hour or so in game. I'd restart the game and it would go away for a while. Since 1.02 the audio starts popping during the opening disclaimers. I've tried every fix posted here and am exhausted at the thought of pursuing this issue further. Despite 59 hours played (how much of that was dealing with bugs) I am going to try to get a refund. 1.02 came out a month ago and the game has been unplayable since. I took a break hoping it would get addressed, but it is only getting worse. I'm done. Good luck to you all.

hi,
i also have audio problems, namely not hearing enemies, no gunfire no footsteps, never heard the radio but thats not gamebreaking for me as i only played a few hours.
I have contacted the support and they they gave me a list of things to do, long story short i want a refund as i dont have even more time to waste on making this game playable, i tried for longer then i have played which is about 4 hours logged. Probably 1,5 hours real playtime.
A refund was denied as i bought the key on a nother site, to release the key and delete my ownership of the game is being denied as well.

Is this the way cd project red conducts their business, the game clearly is not ready for launch if its wasting millions of hours of peoples time troubleshooting. If it is advertised as working on system such and so, it should work and if it does not why not give a refund.

I just dont have the energy to fight a big company over like 30 bucks, kinda dissapointing that cdpr does not know how to fix the audio and does not care about refunds all that much.

bad developer

Hello there, I too am having sound issues, in my case I constantly run into sound issues where my character's footsteps don't register and the radio will sometimes cut out. I know that the in game news reports sometimes stop the radio your listening to and take a few seconds to start, but sometimes they don't and the radio never comes back on a least for a while.

Any sound issues may appear when you using any mod like cyber engine tweaks or editing games config files

Last edited:
I have experienced quite a few sound issues. Mostly character movement audio cuts out meaning footsteps don't register at all, jacking in sound effects often cut out too and hiding bodies specifically in boots of cars nearly always never makes any sound.

This worked for my problem, the audio was stuterring on my xbox one controller with headset plugged into it wireless. PC version.

I have missing audio in the news footage that Rivers shows you at the start of THE HUNT quest. - pretty important audio, I'd say. It worked day one now 1,22 nope.

It is making me sad is understatement.
Post automatically merged:

another audio related issue (I have it too but I've closed the quest anyway) is in "the hunt" quest by River:

I tried even with different languages (talian and english) but the bug is still there

fun fact: once I've done this quest this bug: https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/night-city-hologram-disappeared.11065409/
solved himself XD
I just posted this xD hehe what a cyber ninja you are- kudos for posting vid tho - awesome =)

Regarding the audio crackling issue

I've reached out to the technical support with these three questions:
(click to enlarge)
sample rate bit rate windows settings.jpg

Here's what they said:
A1: As for the settings it varies, in most cases setting the CD Quality (44.1 Khz 16bit) works as a workaround, however for some setting higher does the trick.
A2: I am unaware of any correlation with the CPU performance and the issue. It's unlikely though.
A3: This option allows the application to block other apps so they can't play any sound at the same time. It does not affect the sound quality and it's up to you whether you want to enable it.

In the next mail I asked:
Q4: Can I use 24bit and 48Khz without issues, or should I set it to 16bit 44,1Khz?
A4: It's best to simply test it out and see if any issue with audio occurs. The problem does not occur for everyone and on every device. Mainly when external audio interfaces are in place.
In your case, as you have your sound device plugged in to the motherboard the issue may not occur at all, but if it does then you should try different settings and find out that works best for you.

TL;DR:
44.1 Khz and 16 bit should work in most cases.

Audio on "The Hunt" on the clip River gives you is still not working for me. Again, back to collecting dust because almost every mission I encounter is bugged.

Defo has audio issues throughout the game, I walked through through some door beads and was walking around and doing missions with the sound of them jangling for hours and had to restart the game as it was driving me crazy lol

I noticed the sound of Panam's voice sounds different in certain parts of the game. I don't mean the actual voice acting. The voice acting sounds amazing! What I mean is at certain points the voice actors' quality of the recording doesn't sound the same or as good. What I am thinking is during the pandemic maybe the actors had to record in a different studio?

I noticed the sound of Panam's voice sounds different in certain parts of the game. I don't mean the actual voice acting. The voice acting sounds amazing! What I mean is at certain points the voice actors' quality of the recording doesn't sound the same or as good. What I am thinking is during the pandemic maybe the actors had to record in a different studio?
Might be due to mixing choices (equalizers, sound effects like echos, ring modulators, etc), based on the in-game environment and situation. Anything in the badlands should sound more dry, where there's no reflection comming from objects like walls or ceilings. It also makes a difference if you face the source of the audio with the center of your camera (first person view). If you don't look at a person, their voice appears softer and less warm. However, there might be a view words that got replaced or added, maybe even by another voice actor. I think I've noticed something similar with Takemura, although I havn't noticed it with Panam, at least I can't remember.

Hello.

Spent some weeks to measure how the Windows audio stack works, and it seems that when output is set to 192KHz and 24bit, there is little to no distortion in most situations.

However, Cyberpunk seems to be an exception to this as on 44,1 48 and 96KHz everything seems to work fine, on 192Khz the sound gets really choppy.

Can anyone replicate this bug please?

Also I would like to ask which samplerate does the game sound use. Thanks.

Hello.

Spent some weeks to measure how the Windows audio stack works, and it seems that when output is set to 192KHz and 24bit, there is little to no distortion in most situations.

However, Cyberpunk seems to be an exception to this as on 44,1 48 and 96KHz everything seems to work fine, on 192Khz the sound gets really choppy.

Can anyone replicate this bug please?

Also I would like to ask which samplerate does the game sound use. Thanks.
Default for Windows is 16 bit, 48000 Hz, and it should be fine.

Increasing the sample rate can not only introduce issues, as the ranges may not line up, but unless you have professional, studio-grade sound equipment, you're unlikely to hear any difference from a higher rate, anyway. If the playback sample rate is too low, you're likely to get static or popping. Any time it's too high, you're likely to get blank spots as well as popping or static.

16 bit, 44.1 KHz is still music standard. 16 bit 48 KHz is plenty for virtually all games. True, 3D positional audio from external 7.1 speakers (like for VR experiences) may benefit from a higher sample rate (i.e. 24 or 32 bit at 96 KHz) simply because it allows for more loudness values to be simultaneously broadcast over different speakers and changed individually, on the fly. (Although, 16 bit 48 KHz would still be perfectly fine to get the job done.)

TL; DR
Set the sample rate to 16 bit, 48000 Hz.

If that creates any sort of deadspots, static, or popping, contact CDPR Support (ensuring you select the correct platform -- PC, XBOX, or Playstation)

Increasing the sample rate can not only introduce issues, as the ranges may not line up, but unless you have professional, studio-grade sound equipment, you're unlikely to hear any difference from a higher rate, anyway. If the playback sample rate is too low, you're likely to get static or popping. Any time it's too high, you're likely to get blank spots as well as popping or static.

16 bit, 44.1 KHz is still music standard. 16 bit 48 KHz is plenty for virtually all games. True, 3D positional audio from external 7.1 speakers (like for VR experiences) may benefit from a higher sample rate (i.e. 24 or 32 bit at 96 KHz) simply because it allows for more loudness values to be simultaneously broadcast over different speakers and changed individually, on the fly. (Although, 16 bit 48 KHz would still be perfectly fine to get the job done.)

TL; DR

If that creates any sort of deadspots, static, or popping, contact CDPR Support (ensuring you select the correct platform -- PC, XBOX, or Playstation)
I have NAD d3020v2 integrated amplifier (DAC + AMP) with pair of Elac DBR 62, connected over Toslink, output is stereo... Its way above standard equipment, slightly below studio grade.

When you say "Windows standard is ...", unfortunately the default value is set by the driver upon installation, and in my case its 96Khz 16bit. Also on various forums there are different recommendations - whether to use 48 or 44.1 Khz as a standard.

What happenned in last few years was that consoles started to use 48KHz as a standard for games, DVD or Blu-Ray media. Whether its 16 or 24 bit depts does not matter much, as it does not introduce issues. Samplerate however is a different story.

Now why 192Khz...

Here comes Windows samplerate converter.
This is how looks 48KHz signal through 44.1KHz output. The distortion introduced by Windows is audible.

imd05.jpg

If you would still believe that 44.1 is a standard on windows (CD Quality) you might add a lot of noise to your gaming experience, even on standard audio.

This is 44.1KHz signal over 48KHz
imd03.jpg

Its much better as in the first case, but there is still some distortion. This would be inaudible for most of the situations.

Then 192KHz conversion from both 44,1 and 48KHz looks like this:
imd07.jpg

There is no audible distortion even on high-grade equipment and the spikes with distortion are on 30Khz, way above human perception. That makes 192KHz a good option for both major audio standards 48KHz and 44.1.

Unfortunately as you mentioned, there are crackles and dropouts.

48Khz signal using 48KHz output looks like this:

imd06.jpg

Therefore your TLDR solution will work fine, assuming 48KHz sound in game, but I have to switch it everytime just for CB2077.

But there is another quite simple solution which can be implemented for PC version of the game and that is "WASAPI:Exclusive mode". Game can take control of the audio endpoints just for itself. The output will automatically switch to samplerate used by the game, and no conversion will be needed. However it will mute all other sounds (which is not a problem for people who want to enjoy the game music and sound).

TL; DR

There was another solution which allows me to play CB2077 on 192KHz 24bit. I simply enabled Xaudio API. I missed the setting because it is not available ingame, just in main menu and requires restart.

Last edited:
I have NAD d3020v2 integrated amplifier (DAC + AMP) with pair of Elac DBR 62, connected over Toslink, output is stereo... Its way above standard equipment, slightly below studio grade.

When you say "Windows standard is ...", unfortunately the default value is set by the driver upon installation, and in my case its 96Khz 16bit. Also on various forums there are different recommendations - whether to use 48 or 44.1 Khz as a standard.

What happenned in last few years was that consoles started to use 48KHz as a standard for games, DVD or Blu-Ray media. Whether its 16 or 24 bit depts does not matter much, as it does not introduce issues. Samplerate however is a different story.

Now why 192Khz...

Here comes Windows samplerate converter.
This is how looks 48KHz signal through 44.1KHz output. The distortion introduced by Windows is audible.

View attachment 11263660
If you would still believe that 44.1 is a standard on windows (CD Quality) you might add a lot of noise to your gaming experience, even on standard audio.

This is 44.1KHz signal over 48KHz
View attachment 11263663

Its much better as in the first case, but there is still some distortion. This would be inaudible for most of the situations.

Then 192KHz conversion from both 44,1 and 48KHz looks like this:
View attachment 11263666
There is no audible distortion even on high-grade equipment and the spikes with distortion are on 30Khz, way above human perception. That makes 192KHz a good option for both major audio standards 48KHz and 44.1.

Unfortunately as you mentioned, there are crackles and dropouts.

48Khz signal using 48KHz output looks like this:

View attachment 11263669

Therefore your TLDR solution will work fine, assuming 48KHz sound in game, but I have to switch it everytime just for CB2077.

But there is another quite simple solution which can be implemented for PC version of the game and that is "WASAPI:Exclusive mode". Game can take control of the audio endpoints just for itself. The output will automatically switch to samplerate used by the game, and no conversion will be needed. However it will mute all other sounds (which is not a problem for people who want to enjoy the game music and sound).

There was another solution which allows me to play CB2077 on 192KHz 24bit. I simply enabled Xaudio API. I missed the setting because it is not available ingame, just in main menu and requires restart.
I'm afraid all of that is way out of my ken. What I know is:

Games are specifically designed, pretty much across the board, to offer playback at 16 bit, 48000 Hz. I run all games at that level on my end. If I ever did switch the sample rate to 24 bit in the past (mostly modding things in the early 2000s, which was needed to tweak some sound settings that would offer more, simultaneous channels in certain games), it could and would result in a lot of sound distortion or audio "noise" appearing in-game. Returning values to the normal, everyday user standard of 16 bit, 48 KHz would correct it. (For me, it's that I had a Sound Blaster Audigy setup, and I wanted to use it! :) I totally never went that way, ever again. :sneaky: Default sounds are fine for me. I've used a decent 2.1 setup ever since.)

While I'm sure it's possible to get more robust sound systems to work, it will likely require exactly what you've done. Tweaking and troubleshooting between settings, drivers, hardware settings, etc. to find the right system config. And, as always, if that's what works for you -- go for it!

But the major question remains...will the 192 KHz setting remain stable and provide consistent audio playback across a wide range of games and other apps on the average, off-the-shelf speaker / headset setup?

Last edited:
I'm afraid all of that is way out of my ken. What I know is:

Games are specifically designed, pretty much across the board, to offer playback at 16 bit, 48000 Hz. I run all games at that level on my end. If I ever did switch the sample rate to 24 bit in the past (mostly modding things in the early 2000s, which was needed to tweak some sound settings that would offer more, simultaneous channels in certain games), it could and would result in a lot of sound distortion or audio "noise" appearing in-game. Returning values to the normal, everyday user standard of 16 bit, 48 KHz would correct it. (For me, it's that I had a Sound Blaster Audigy setup, and I wanted to use it! :) I totally never went that way, ever again. :sneaky: Default sounds are fine for me. I've used a decent 2.1 setup ever since.)

While I'm sure it's possible to get more robust sound systems to work, it will likely require exactly what you've done. Tweaking and troubleshooting between settings, drivers, hardware settings, etc. to find the right system config. And, as always, if that's what works for you -- go for it!

But the major question remains...will the 192 KHz setting remain stable and provide consistent audio playback across a wide range of games and other apps on the average, off-the-shelf speaker / headset setup?
I have taken a look on few games i own. About 1/3 of them use 48KHz, another 1/3 44.1KHz and rest cannot be determined. Mainly new games, and those which are made for consoles use 48KHz. Older games, or games from previous generations of consoles use 44.1KHz. Also most web and music content is 44.1Khz.

Before I encountered the issue with sound in CB2077 i would not expect it can cause an issue like crackling sound. XAudio solved it (and few minor bugs).

Windows however contains critical flaws affecting the sound quality, which introduce unnecessary harmonic distortion. This is audible ONLY if you have equipment with total harmonic distortion (THD+n) better than -60dB/0,1%. Many soundcards, including the onboard ones nowadays have better -100dB/0.001%, usually common speakers have worse specifics, but its bit different for headphones.

The other issue is intermodulation distortion, which is caused by converting sound between different sample rates. Higher sample rate (192KHz or above set as an output) negates most of the distortion - imagine it as a higher resolution - the higher the resolution the less pixels or artifacts are visible.

So, using 44.1 or 48Khz would always produce best results, however you have to switch it accordingly to the content. More convenient solution is to go for 192KHz or more.

Also in most cases, there will be little to no difference for the listener.

Yet mostly, different sample and bit rates are simply not a problem for windows applications. Its something related to driver, hardware and maybe to API.

Last edited:
Top Bottom