Vista - Crashing problem

+
Vista - Crashing problem

This is a work-in-progress FAQ: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=17503.0 , do check it often as new tips are being addedQ: Game crashing on systems running Windows VistaTip1:Be sure your Windows Vista is up to date: "The Witcher may exhaust virtual address space when running on 32-bit Windows Vista. Microsoft has released a hotfix that addresses this problem. Please download the hotfix from the following location when playing the game on 32-bit Windows Vista: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940105 . If you have patched your installation of Vista to SP1, then you already have this hotfix. KB940105 is already included in Windows Vista Service Pack 1: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=f559842a-9c9b-4579-b64a-09146a0ba746&DisplayLang=en " ( 64-bit Vista does not have this problem )Tip2:On nVidia hardware and VIsta Ultimate be sure to uninstall the DreamScene application as the it conflicts with the video driver ( read the Release Notes of the video driver )Tip3: Get TweakUAC and set UAC to QUIET, not DisabledTip4:Set the game to run in Compatibility Mode: right-click on witcher.exe -> properties -> Compatibility -> Windows XP SP2 , also check the 640x480 mode, and the disable decorations, then press Apply and OKTip5:Run the game as Admin: right click on witcher.exe and RUN AS AdministratorTip6:Disable Autosaves in game OptionsTip7: If running the game from an external USB drive be sure to set up the currently used Power Settings Profile so that USB devices are NEVER put to sleep/suspend.________________________________________________________________Hello there,This thread may be related to "Problems with VISTA", but it's more specific. So please don't delete or move it :)I tried some NVIDIA driver-pack versions, but none work. It's always the same problem. After 1-3 minutes playtime the application is ended by Windows Vista. The reason is a graphic driver called nvlddmkm (I guess, that it must be nvlddmkm.sys), who will be "repaired" after the temrination of the game. You can read in some forums about this driver, causing problems with games. Why don't Microsoft or/and NVIDIA fix it? I can't even report the problem to them, so I write here. Please dear TheWitcher Crew try to fix this problem or inform Nvidia and Microsoft. The game isn't playable like this :(Thank youPavelP.S.In Switzerland you can buy the game since 10-23-2007. I guess, it's a pre-order version or something?P.P.SWindows Vista 32 bitIntel Core 2 6600 @ 2.4 GHzNVIDIA Geforce 7900 GTX4 G DDR-2 RAM (but Vista uses only 3 G I guess)[MOD]Updated some tips[/MOD]

Yeah this is a error message which has happened in numerous games so this isn't a specific witcher problem. I have had this error in a while but I know a lot of the nvidia users still has this error in some games.Firstly did you only use the whql drivers or have you also tried the beta drivers from nvidia. Other option maybe try running the game as administrator. Right click and run as admin.And you only see 3 g of ram because you are using vista 32 bit only 64 bit os can you 4 g and above ram.

Note that you can get the x64 disk (only Vista Ultimate comes with both DVDs) from MS for free + S&H, as when you bought the OS, you have the right to both x86 and x64.

Thanks for your help guys.@Stefan9I don't know why, but the trick with starting the game as ADMIN worked! I could play quite some time now and had NO crash or bug. The Witcher is a great game as far as I can tell.Well, thanks a lot for this tip.

Aequitas said:
Note that you can get the x64 disk (only Vista Ultimate comes with both DVDs) from MS for free + S&H, as when you bought the OS, you have the right to both x86 and x64.
Just remember thats if you bought a retail copy. If you have a dsp or oem license you can't order the 64 bit copy from ms. You have choose 32 bit or 64 bit from the start.But if you have a retail copy you order the 64 bit disc from MS and just pay postage and handling it cost me R100 to get the 64bit disc. I have as future proofing for when I decide to switch to 64 bit.

I'm using Vista Ultimate with Geforce Go 7950 GTX.The game was crashing to desktop every few minutes and was unplayable.I downloaded beta Geforce drivers 169.04 which seemed to improve performance. I also made a shortcut to the Witcher executable (not the launcher) on my desktop. The executable is here:"C:\Program Files\Atari\The Witcher\System\witcher.exe"(NOTE: I downloaded the game. Not sure if it makes any difference)Now right click on the desktop shortcut, select Compatibility and try turning on the following settings:Check Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows XP (Service Pack 2)Check Disable visual themesCheck Disable desktop compositionCheck Disable display scaling on high DPI settingsCheck Run this program as an administrator...I don't know if all these settings are required, or if it's just coincidence and the updated drivers are what's doing the trick. All i know is it's WAY better. Faster framerates and crashing is much less frequent.Increasing virtual memory to recommended settings also seemed to be a step in the right direction, though it appeared to have less impact than the above.Good luck!

Thanks to Winterforge with coming up with the answer of running the game in window mode (not fullscreen). As far as I can tell that's the cure.After in window mode, use Alt+Space to activate menu, then select M for move. Use keyboard arrow keys to put window into place. Hold down Ctrl for fine tuning and Enter when finished.I'm also going to offer up these settings. I've been at it for days, and now the game is running incredibly well with high frame rates:I'm running a Geforce Go 7950 GTX with 169.04_forceware_winvista_32bit_english_beta drivers.I'm in window mode at 1920x1200 (my native resolution).Anisotropic Filtering - 16xAnti-aliasing - DisabledLighting Quality - LowTexture Quality - MediumShadow Quality - HighGrass Quality - LowDecals Fade - ShortDepth of Field - OffVisbility Range - AverageAnimals Number - AverageTry these settings as a starting point and tweak from there.Wooohooo!!!!! It finally works great without crashing!!! Thanks Winterforge!! ;D

It works, but not perfectly. I was able to play for maybe four hours without crashing in windowed mode, but then the game crashed while saving. Man, this thing sure is unstable.

I'll take the four hours! I was crashing every 5 to 15 minutes!Because of that, I'm used to quicksaving every few minutes to save my progress.

Tried this yesterday, but this time it didn't crash to the desktop, it crashed so bad I had to hold down the power button and reboot. Not the greatest fix....Game is patched to 1.1a, windows vista hotfix installed, latest nVidia drivers etc etc etc etc :'(DELL XPS M1730Intel Core Duo 2.2GHzDual NVIDIA GO 8700M GT SLIRAM 2GBAgeia PhysX 100 EngineHDD 300GB RAID 0 StripeDirect X 10

The game still needs work, but at least I can use it now.It was crashing so frequently on me before, it was practically unplayable. And I really wanted to play this game, so I've been trying every fix on these boards for days. Since I made this change, it's been working for hours and it hasn't crashed yet - which for me is like night and day.It'll probably crash at some point, but I'm enjoying myself until then instead of the constant struggle.

I never crash at 1600x1200. If I switch to 1920x1200 I crash every 5 to 15 minutes,usually while talking to someone. I'm running Vista Ultimate x64 with two ATI HD 2900XT's in crossfire.

I found rather than messing around in Windows mode, just reduce the resolution and but still max out the settings. I have found it runs smooths as silk with no crahes, as well as looking nice (unlees you are really anally retensive and have to run games a really high resoultions). My guess it a memory problem within Windows Vista with high resoultions and certain games.System SpecWindows Vista 64 bitAmd Duel Core 4400+Abit Nforce 4 Motherboard2 Gig Corsair Ram2 x GForce 7950gtx (supposely in Quad Mode, but not yet)Latest Drivers

The fullscreen thing doesnt work.Damn, i will return the game tomorrow if i dont find a solution. The bastards should have gotten it compitable with Vista, before they released it...

k after a day of being frustrated, downloading the hotfix for vista , ive concluded that the only way to keep the game stable is to play in windowed mode. for those that didnt notice, in the options area you can select full screen or windowed. check on windowed. after switching to windowed mode ive had no crashes. this seems like a legit fix.

Survalli said:
k after a day of being frustrated, downloading the hotfix for vista , ive concluded that the only way to keep the game stable is to play in windowed mode. for those that didnt notice, in the options area you can select full screen or windowed. check on windowed. after switching to windowed mode ive had no crashes. this seems like a legit fix.
I have had not the first game crash in Windows Vista 32-bit since playing. And, I've played for hours on end. Also, I'm not playing in Windowed mode, either.Game settings are high, 1280x1024, too.If you're having crashes, be sure to run Memtest86+ v.1.70 on your RAM. www.memtest.org

Top Bottom