Level 1 loot even after 1.31.

+
2021-12-11 (1).png

Pictured here. This is the glitch that has made me stop playing this game for a good while, because it breaks the sense of progression and upgrade through the game. I've installed the game again today after a ~10 months break, with the new patch 1.31, and it looks like this issue is still going.

Basically, lots of NCPD missions in Night City reward weapons or equipment that are scaled to level 1, with abyssmal DPS. These items are the ones you obtain from "!" evidence containers.

I don't see a lot of people talk about this glitch... For now, I'm using a mod from Nexus that automatically rescales all equipment you obtain to your character's level, because I've yet to find what causes this or how to fix it, so it looks like it just needs to be patched by CDPR. It's also quite inconsistent or random, the items that are level 1 change between playthrough, districts of Night City, etc.

Last edited:
There is few weapon/clothes who have low stats/level in NCPD Scanner Hustles since day one and always the same (like an epic Overture in Japan Town, near the MB H8).
But from my memories (I could be wrong), this one haven't "low stats" in my side since day one (Militech Guys in Charter Hill, not far from the Ripperdoc).
So you have to be sure that mods don't cause a problem of this kind.

There is few weapon/clothes who have low stats/level in NCPD Scanner Hustles since day one and always the same (like an epic Overture in Japan Town, near the MB H8).
But from my memories (I could be wrong), this one haven't "low stats" in my side since day one (Militech Guys in Charter Hill, not far from the Ripperdoc).
So you have to be sure that mods don't cause a problem of this kind.

I haven't had this happen from day one though, that's the thing. As for mods, I don't use any kind of mod that tweaks the game's gameplay systems, including scaling etc. Only visual mods. Though you are absolutely right, I should at least try to launch the game without any mods to see if this continues.

Edit: launching without mods doesn't change anything. Still finding level 1 loot 3 NCPD missions in a row.

Last edited:
At least I can take a look on my side, but I have to complete the Heist before, so probably this night :)
If on my side this weapon have "normal" stats, it could be mods related (even if they are not "related" to that). And for trying without mods, you probably need to uninstall completely the game and reinstalling it (because mods can modify the world (and in this case, the containers) permanently even with removing them :(

Also in my memories, the items affected are mostly located in Japan Town and Charter Hill (in the other neighborhoods, it's fine).
Epic M179 - Achilles in an Organized Crime (not far of your screenshot).
Epic Jacket also not far of your screenshot (maelstromers involved).
Rare clothe (I don't remember, boots, maybe) in assault in progress near the entrance of Jig-Jig Street.

At least I can take a look on my side, but I have to complete the Heist before, so probably this night :)
If on my side this weapon have "normal" stats, it could be mods related (even if they are not "related" to that). And for trying without mods, you probably need to uninstall completely the game and reinstalling it (because mods can modify the world (and in this case, the containers) permanently even with removing them :(

Also in my memories, the items affected are mostly located in Japan Town and Charter Hill (in the other neighborhoods, it's fine).
Epic M179 - Achilles in an Organized Crime (not far of your screenshot).
Epic Jacket also not far from your screenshot.
Rare clothe (I don't remember boots, maybe) in assault in progress near the entrance of Jig-Jig Street.

In my experience, this issue only appears after Act 1. And indeed, it was most prominent in the two areas you mentioned. I'll do a few more tests before I decide to just uninstall everything and every save and restart from scratch.

I already re-installed the game yesterday though, already. And then added back my visual mods. But I continued from my existing saves, which I havent played since February. So I guess they were already "affected" by the bug.

I already re-installed the game yesterday though, already. And then added back my visual mods. But I continued from my existing saves, which I havent played since February. So I guess they were already "affected" by the bug.
Yes indeed it is very possible :(
First of all, take a little tour of Pacifica or North BadLands (almost the same level area than Japan Town) for see if they are affected or not (normally in Vanilla, I'm almost certain, they are not).

I find level 1 gear randomly every now and then but it's not really a continuous issue for me. I've always seen it more as a low level area loot that doesn't scale with the player. For me I'd say that 90% of all loot I find is scaled to my level more or less.

Yes indeed it is very possible :(
First of all, take a little tour of Pacifica or North BadLands (almost the same level area than Japan Town) for see if they are affected or not (normally in Vanilla, I'm almost certain, they are not).

Explored Santo Domingo. About 10 of the NCPD missions, found 3 of them to be level 1 loot. Same in the Badlands... So I guess this is just random or broken. I think what I'm gonna do is start a new playthrough and finish Act 1 without any mods, then see if this keeps happening. If it does, i'll just keep dealing with it. There's been a couple of topics about this issue here already, I just wish it was fixed.

Explored Santo Domingo. About 10 of the NCPD missions, found 3 of them to be level 1 loot. Same in the Badlands... So I guess this is just random or broken. I think what I'm gonna do is start a new playthrough and finish Act 1 without any mods, then see if this keeps happening. If it does, i'll just keep dealing with it. There's been a couple of topics about this issue here already, I just wish it was fixed.
Ok, weird it happen in other area than Japan Town (about 30% of items affected, it's a lot) :(
And yes, honestly, it remains rather basic items in general (nothing essential in any case). Anyway, if it's due to mods but that you prefer to play with, the choice could be quickly made :)

Edit : Something who could be (very) annoying it's if GIG containers are also affected (because the loot is way more interesting).
Anyway, I'll take a look, after the Heist, I clear the map of all the blue icons. And if it's the same without mods, it need to be reported to CDPR Support (if noone did it, there's no way it's at the top of the to-do list)

Last edited:

I found this mod. Requires latest Cyber Engine Tweaks version. It's functional so far. Fixed the issue for me: every level 1 loot I picked up has had its stats automatically changed to match my current level. The weapon in the OP picture went from 60.9 DPS to 253.4 DPS. Seems like a good temporary fix for this issue, while being a good fix for equipment scaling in the game in general.

Last edited:
Is the hope here that loot&items scale to the players level?

That’d be horrible. Didn’t Oblivion teach people this already?

So after completing all the NCPD Scanner Hustles in Watson/Westbrook/Pacifica, it's mostly in Westbrook where items are not "leveled".
None in Watson, almost all in Westbrook and only one in Pacifica.
(But at the end, it is only "not essential" items (almost) 5useless, even "leveled" (you can aquiere better ones at shop or in enemies loots). Like an uncommon D5-Copperhead in Pacifica... In my opinion, the "most important" it's money, xp and street cred)
13-12-2021_17-23-08-iv1eddak.png

13-12-2021_16-38-31-ahovnfm1.png13-12-2021_16-48-40-aafqzex4.png13-12-2021_17-28-48-wpqpyknj.png13-12-2021_19-43-00-ma22n5fj.png
But anyway, it need to be reported to the Support :)

So after completing all the NCPD Scanner Hustles in Watson/Westbrook/Pacifica, it's mostly in Westbrook where items are not "leveled".
None in Watson, almost all in Westbrook and only one in Pacifica.
(But at the end, it is only "not essential" items (almost) 5useless, even "leveled" (you can aquiere better ones at shop or in enemies loots). Like an uncommon D5-Copperhead in Pacifica... In my opinion, the "most important" it's money, xp and street cred)
But anyway, it need to be reported to the Support :)

Thanks for doing some testing. I still have some on my side and screenshots I used to do a report on this issue back in February, but I guess I'll do one again just in case.

Last edited:
I vaguely remember you from an old thread where this bug was mentioned. NCPD level 1 loot was a thing at least as far back as 1.06. At least thats when I started documenting it.

The (unrelated) 1.1 bug that causes unlooted weapons/armour on corpse entities to reset to level 1 base stats when saving/loading game state also still exists in patch 1.31 (and yeah I did report it shortly after 1.2 released). I need to amend the title of the video to add versions up to 1.31:

Last edited:
I vaguely remember you from an old thread where this bug was mentioned. NCPD level 1 loot was a thing at least as far back as 1.06. At least thats when I started documenting it.

The (unrelated) 1.1 bug that causes unlooted weapons/armour on corpse entities to reset to level 1 base stats when saving/loading game state also still exists in patch 1.31 (and yeah I did report it shortly after 1.2 released). I need to amend the title of the video to add versions up to 1.31:

Indeed, we collaborated on this issue back in February in another thread. I made a new report to CDPR about it. The save/reload reset is much less annoying than just overworld equipment being randomly, always lv1 once you start a playthrough though, which is the bug I'm talking about here in this new thread.

I've noticed the odd item with really poor stats, but generally I find vastly more levelled loot. I guess not all enemies can be carrying the good stuff.

If I understand correctly, these are just quest items that represent weapons used in the commission of a crime, and they are not supposed to scale.

If I understand correctly, these are just quest items that represent weapons used in the commission of a crime, and they are not supposed to scale.

Except some of them do scale. All of the NCPD hustles in the south badlands for example.

Also level scaling loot is pretty much the norm in this game. There is no fixed level loot that I can think of. The only exception is if you kill an enemy whose minimum level is way higher than yours, in which case the item will be scaled to their minimum level.

Yep it's "mostly" items in containers in Assault in progress (in GIGs, Quests, Oragnized Crime,... no problem on my side). These items just don't scale to your level.
In City Center for example, if you complete an Assault in Progress at level 30, the item in the container have better stats than if you complete it at level 20. In Japan Town (mostly), no change between level 10 or level 50, items keep their low level stats (like in my screenshots above)

It's a little bit like when :
You kill an enemy (no matter which one, no matter where), let its loot on the ground or in the corpse (which is at your level normally, in epic version or example) and save/reload. The loot is "downgraded" to level 1 and back to "common" version.

Top Bottom