The General Videogame Thread

+
Which one is the "bad ending" in ME2 ?
The one where Shepard let Cerberus take control of the collectors base (and indeed don't blow it) ?
If yes (I never tried it), but in this case, I wonder how Cerberus (if you don't blow up the base) managed to collect "only" few pieces of the human reaper and "only" with the "heart/core" who was a little bit functional. (explained by IDE during the assault against Cerberus in all my playthroughs).

Probably not. The "bad ending" to ME2 is most likely "the entire suicide squad dies, Shepard included".

Speaking of "canon endings", mine a mod that removes the Catalyst conversation from the game (it jumps from "best seats in the house scene" directly to destroy ending). Without the mods I prefer refusal.
I should probably have named it "worst ending", all the squad AND Shepard die and Joker sort of takes over him/her (which is what will happen if you mostly ignore loyalty missions). Would have been interesting to have the option of playing ME3 within this scenario IMO

Of course, it's a full-blown tragedy. But (for me) it's the only one that stays consistent with themes of ME. And Shepard's final response to Catalyst is probably my favourite line in the entire 3rd game. What he/she said there was the essence of what Mass Effect had been until those last 20 minutes. So, yeah, it's understandably not for everyone, but it sure is the only one that makes sense to me.
So, just finish it quickly :)
And there are few things which bothers me a bit actually.
- In Liara's message, she say : We built the crucible, but it didn't work. We fought as united galaxy, but it wasn't enough. So it seem to me that no one is aware that this is uniquely Shepherd's decision to refuse to choose who have sealed the fate of everybody in this cycle (in short, to let everybody die)
The crucible didn't work because Shepard don't make a choice or at least, "choose to not choose any available choices" (yeah, love this anaphore^^)

- And cycles restart... So in the next cycle, they will face the exact same choice. I don't know if it make sense in english, but "Shepard just pass the hot potato to the next player" (Sorry, I don't want to choose, so you will have to do it).

- I also suppose that the AI is now aware of the crucible, while she thought the project forgotten/lost for many cycles. So she will probably strengthen the defenses/protections to prevent this from happening again and also correct the problem of keepers introduced by the Protheans. So in the next cycle, it won't be as "easy" as it was in the current one.

Guest 3847602

- In Liara's message, she say : We built the crucible, but it didn't work. We fought as united galaxy, but it wasn't enough. So it seem to me that no one is aware that this is uniquely Shepherd's decision to refuse to choose who have sealed the fate of everybody in this cycle (in short, to let everybody die)
The crucible didn't work because Shepard don't make a choice or at least, "choose to not choose any available choices" (yeah, love this anaphore^^)

- And cycles restart... So in the next cycle, they will face the exact same choice. I don't know if it make sense in english, but "Shepard just pass the hot potato to the next player" (Sorry, I don't want to choose, so you will have to do it).

- I also suppose that the AI is now aware of the crucible, while she thought the project forgotten/lost for many cycles. So she will probably strengthen the defenses/protections to prevent this from happening again and also correct the problem of keepers introduced by the Protheans. So in the next cycle, it won't be as "easy" as it was in the current one.
The way I understood it, the next cycle wont use the Crucible, since it is said that it was already built, but it didn't work. As I see it, Liara's time capsule contains this cycle's entire knowledge of the war with the Reapers, how to build Thanix Cannons, what tactics to use, how and when to fight them, when to avoid it, etc.. So, with the knowledge of their strengths and weaknesses, the next cycle is armed and fully prepared to combat them. I like to imagine that the next time the Reapers show up, they're met with welcoming committee like the one that awaited Sonny Corleone at Long Island toll booth in The Godfather. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The way I understood it, the next cycle wont use the Crucible, since it is said that it was already built, but it didn't work. As I see it, Liara's time capsule contains this cycle's entire knowledge of the war with the Reapers, how to build Thanix Cannons, what tactics to use, how and when to fight them, when to avoid it, etc.. So, with the knowledge of their strengths and weaknesses, the next cycle is armed and fully prepared to combat them. I like to imagine that the next time the Reapers show up, they're met with welcoming committee like the one that awaited Sonny Corleone at Long Island toll booth in The Godfather. ;)
I wouldn't be also optimistic :)
The organics doen't seem to change with cycles, unfortunately. So yeah, "fully" prepared, on condition that the future leaders believe the one who will find Liara's capsule (which is not sure...). And also that, like Shepard at the beginning, the one who find Liara's alert, can at least, understand the alert/message (At first and without the knowlegde, Shepard don't understand the Beacon's alert).
An other hand, it seem to be the ending who offer the best start for a sequel. The fight will continue :)

Guest 3847602

I wouldn't be also optimistic :)
The organics doen't seem to change with cycles, unfortunately. So yeah, "fully" prepared, on condition that the future leaders believe the one who will find Liara's capsule (which is not sure...). And also that, like Shepard at the beginning, the one who find Liara's alert, can at least, understand the alert/message (At first and without the knowlegde, Shepard don't understand the Beacon's alert).
But, have you seen the post-credits scene for refusal?
The next cycle understood the information stored in time capsule, used it and won. The only thing that remains mystery is if they used Crucible or not. I prefer to think that they didn't, it makes the ending meaningful.

The next cycle understood the information stored in time capsule, used it and won.
Yep, it seem to me to be too easy that they managed to find the archive, understand it and use it successfully. Hard to believe honestly, because Reapers have certainly did the same "job" as with protheans, i.e conscientiously purge all the galaxy of the previous cycle's technology and history (They managed to do it pretty almost perfectly for lot of cycles... and in this cycle, they failled ?).

Anyway, if it's the case, it's a shame :)
It will be difficult to find/create more epic enemies than Reapers... In Andromeda, Kett and Remnants are so bad next to Reapers (and by far).

Guest 3847602

In Andromeda, Kett and Remnants are so bad next to Reapers (and by far).
Yeah, the worst part is - I don't think the game needed Kett at all. Seems to me like they initially wanted for discovery and building colonies to be the game's focus, but, at the last minute they decided that the game needed to be match the epicness of the original trilogy, so they threw in off-brand Collectors to raise the stakes.

That's one of many, many things that bother me about the way ME3 tried to wrap up the series. As @ooodrin said, the mod (or mods, depending on which version you prefer) that eliminates everything after the last fight with Harbinger, and moves directly to the ending that I suspect most people were anticipating after 3 games of building armies and uniting most of the galaxy, helps. It's the only way I can play ME3.

Also, earlier there was some mention about experiencing the series for the first time now, versus when it first came out. I think there's something to be said for experiencing it new now. When ME1 first came out, I was furious at the product. People complain a lot about CDPR "promising" things that it ended up not delivering (yet?) for Cyberpunk 2077. But ME1 was a huge disappointment in that regard. We were told, right up to release, that the game had dozens of planets to explore. That turned out to be bouncing around re-skinned little squares in the Mako. Over time I've gotten past that, but at the time, I swore to never buy another Bioware product because I had felt so deceived.

Also, earlier there was some mention about experiencing the series for the first time now, versus when it first came out. I think there's something to be said for experiencing it new now. When ME1 first came out, I was furious at the product. People complain a lot about CDPR "promising" things that it ended up not delivering (yet?) for Cyberpunk 2077. But ME1 was a huge disappointment in that regard. We were told, right up to release, that the game had dozens of planets to explore. That turned out to be bouncing around re-skinned little squares in the Mako. Over time I've gotten past that, but at the time, I swore to never buy another Bioware product because I had felt so deceived.
Interesting :)
On my side, at this time, I didn't follow games news at all (country side, no ADSL, almost no net...) and I bought it because a buddy told me that I could like it. So I tried, yep not bad... But after Virmire (discuss with Sovereign), damn... I decided if there was a sequel, I'll buy it right away day one :D
Post automatically merged:

Oh yeah, seem to be great. I don't know what to expect, so I take the risk to not like it, but whatever... download in progress :)

Last edited:

That's the kind of messages I like seeing from developers I care about.
Better than the "deleted one" for sure :)
NFT_Stalker.png
"but at least we hope you can hear us and understand our reasons"
And nope, apparently, the community didn't hear them and didn't understand their reasons :)

Last edited:
I only learned about the previous one after I posted the one above. And no, we should not understand their reasons. If I don't want to buy their product because of those reasons, they lost a purchase. I won't support a company that has those sorts of reasons. And what did they do? They decided that they are making the game for us, not for their reasons. Because it is us who will pay the money to them. Not the other way around.

I have nothing against companies changing their policy in a way that benefits the end user.
Post automatically merged:

I almost crossed Stalker 2 from my wish list. I would not take yet another blow and disappointment. Now they gained another chance. But they already proved themselves unreliable, trying to pull a fast one on us. I will wait for real gameplays from people who actually played the game and were able to show the actual footage.

And nope, apparently, the community didn't hear them and didn't understand their reasons
The exact reason why we should complain for anti-consumer moves from companies instead of swallowing any shit they throw us covered by some good graphics (on high end machines) and false apologies.

General rule, not referring to a single company, it happens more often than not.

Latest example I can think of is ff7 remake on pc at 80€, it lasted 48 hours.

Elden Ring looks dull. The first Dark Souls was the last soulsborne game that impressed me.

Overall, I don't think I was ever in a situation when there are almost no games to look forward to. Maybe except Baldur's Gate III, everything else that is announced or has a release date is just not interesting. As far as big budget games go. I don't remember games landscape being so barren, especially AAA. STALKER 2 is a curiosity, but I have my doubts. KOTOR remake, but it's a remake and modern Star Wars is rather repulsing, so who knows what they will do with it. Plus it's probably 4-5 years away.
Yes, Indeed. Elden ring is a big disappointment looks and feels like a Dark Souls 3 dlc, same tired formula, same animations, same stiff player, same combat, same comically oversized bosses, same arc you are a lowly tarnished, instead of lowly ashen one.

Im waiting for :

-Life is strange remakes

-Watch dogs legion content, if there will be any more story or decent sp dlc, addition.

-Outriders story dlc, which has been announced

-Vtm bloodlines 2 if it ever finished, so far bigger disaster than cp2077

-Saints row the new one

Elden ring is a big disappointment looks and feels like a Dark Souls 3 dlc, same tired formula, same animations, same stiff player, same combat, same comically oversized bosses, same arc you are a lowly tarnished, instead of lowly ashen one.
Honestly I don't understand what you expected to call it a disappointment. That's exactly what from software has done in the last 10 years in every single IP.

Elden ring is a big disappointment looks and feels like a Dark Souls 3 dlc, same tired formula, same animations, same stiff player, same combat, same comically oversized bosses, same arc you are a lowly tarnished, instead of lowly ashen one.
I'm not making excuses for From Software, but they've always re-used assets pretty heavily, even going from Demon's Souls into Dark Souls - and many aspects of the games have analogues in earlier iterations. It does look like Elden Ring might as well be called Dark Souls 4, though.

Vtm bloodlines 2 if it ever finished
I was so looking forward to this!

I'd like to point out that Dark Souls formula in its current form is exactly what people want. Otherwise there would be no Souls-Like sub-genre of games. Somehow I don't see too many Witcher-like or Cyberpunk-like sub-genres sprouting out. Saying that Elden Ring is disappointing because it's Souls-like is like saying that.... no, it's plain ridiculous. There is no comparison here.

Top Bottom