SK: Veterancy buff shouldn't happen while DEAD

+
Change the "Veteran" tag so it only works when the card is in hand, in deck OR alive at the end of the round!
Units somehow getting stronger while in the graveyard (aka while rotting in the ground) is firstly nonsense (no logic, silly), 2ndly it makes for an OP and unfair mechanic cause you play units in R1 then in R3 you bring them back to play for a pretty stupid amount of value!
Getting the full value from Veteran shouldn't be a 100% guarantee but it pretty much is exactly that.

I am sick of seeing Fucusya play a 6 power Skjordal doing 6 damage in R3 AND THEN GIVING 2 TURNS OF RAIN ON TOP! As if it's not already a broken faction with how they botched Onslaught (by making it brokenly OP).
I always thought that buffing while dead was a stupid idea (it would be cool if we had like the Undead Scourge faction in Gwent then you could make it like that, but Skelligers aren't Undead, or White Walkers or some beasts from hell) BUT now with the addition of King Bran people are just abusing it to the maximum extent.

All this because devs are indoctrinated into Skellige supremacy and believe it is their moral obligation to always have SK dominating.

If SK can get veteran status while dead then why not make NR units get Patience while dead too??
What? Is improving your abilities is a racial trait of SK islanders?

Let's make Regis: Reborn strengthen himself while in gy, then we can use Ozrel as a finisher to eat him too. Also ST units should count towards Symbiosis from the graveyard too to be fair.

Last edited:
So its 20 points for 14 provision. Mamunna puts The same 20 points for 12.

Whats The big deal?

Also, 2 of those points come from a 11 provision card. In this way, savolla + The New card play for 24 points
Post automatically merged:

Blightnaker plays for 11 and Plus thnning for 6 provision.

There is so many examples wich cards are much better than The provision cost.

I dont think veteran in gy could be a problem

Last edited:
Here's 5 big deals:
1: Mamuna actually requires 2 conditions, one is that the card in the gy and other that the other copy is in the deck. Meanwhile Fucusya only has 1 condition, AND she can resummon golds AND she actually compensates you with rain if you don't have an expensive card to play.
2: Fucusya Does GOLDS while Mamuna only bronzes
3: Mamuna can't KILL units, it can't be used for crazy removal, just point slam (and I'm not a fan of it nether).
4: Fucusya is both removal AND pointslam.
5: Mamuna is at least vourlnerable to a reset while Fucusya and most of the stuff she can replay isn't.

"Also, 2 of those points come from a 11 provision card. In this way, Savolla + The New card play for 24 points"
Yes, this is also broken, and it doesn't excuse SK's brokenness.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
My thoughts are that only cards that are broken should be fixed. Fucusya is a problem; Onslaught is a problem; “veterans” are not a problem; King Bran is not a problem.

And I am very tired of hearing irrational complaints about developer’s preference or dislike of faction X — a claim often made about virtually every faction depending upon the biases of the player who is complaining.

No offense but, first, it seems to me that putting the "non-logical / realistic" point on the table is not relevant: it's a game, in a magical heroicfantasy world linked to other dimension !
You'll find plenty of cards not realistic or logical... and it does not matter.

Secondly, sorry but Veteran mechanic and cards are not OP at all, in any way, and nerver have been.

What you demonstrate is that Fucusya is powerfull (too much ? maybe, we can talk about that ;) ) and not that skordjall is (in a devotion deck that also contains Bran and only in R3...).

Fucusya is usually used on other powerfull golds than skordjall, so nerfing veteran, appart killing this mechanic and all cards relying on it will not fix your issue at all...

my 2 cents :beer:

No offense but, first, it seems to me that putting the "non-logical / realistic" point on the table is not relevant: it's a game, in a magical heroicfantasy world linked to other dimension !
You'll find plenty of cards not realistic or logical... and it does not matter.
:beer:
I completely disagree. Unrealistic cards - yes, it's a freaking (dark) fantasy world (there are still some reality-related rules in it, though). But illogical? Even in their own world's lore? What for? There's no balance in the game, so at least keep some logical consistency,
Oneiromancy summoning a card from your deck contradicts W3 lore. Megascope working like cloning devices contradicts Witcher lore in general. Units "training" while being dead makes no sense at all unless they implement some sort of Valhalla-like graveyard for Skellige (I hope not, since they'll break it too). Currently all dead units are just corpses - why should they veterancy work?

Last edited:
This thread is not about Fucusya and how broken it is. CDPR had a choice with the veterans to make it logical or illogical, and both options were perfectly fine for gameplay purposes. Perhaps it was just easier for them not to program additional condition, so they kept it.

I do not complain and veterans aren't broken. It just doesn't make sense they're getting stronger rotting in the grave.

My thoughts are that only cards that are broken should be fixed. Fucusya is a problem; Onslaught is a problem; “veterans” are not a problem; King Bran is not a problem.
I can agree here. But everything starts small. Maybe fixing some mechanics that feel "off" can be the way to a healthier Gwent in general?

It's funny, really, that I've seen the "devs want to make/keep [faction] OP" claim about every. single. faction over the years and it's always used as an argument when someone doesn't like something a faction is, has, or does.
The argument never had any basis to begin with and by now it is completely weightless due to the massive overuse.

Now, strictly logically speaking, Veterans should not get stronger in the grave because they are, indeed, corpses -- but constantly resurrecting corpses is no more logical.
Necromancy is a forbidden branch of magic.

Looking past that last bit, it does make sense that a warrior summoned from the grave to fight for their land or clan or whatever (which is what Skellige units do in this game, since the board is a battlefield) could be stronger than they were before. Stronger in spirit, if nothing else, and a strong spirit is enough to make them physically tougher too. Not all of them are (= not all of the units have Veteran), which also makes sense because there'll always be those less eager to fight (and possibly die) again.

I've never liked the Veteran mechanic (especially back when all Skellige units had it) but I don't think it's a problem the way it is now.

I completely disagree. Unrealistic cards - yes, it's a freaking (dark) fantasy world (there are still some reality-related rules in it, though). But illogical? Even in their own world's lore? What for? There's no balance in the game, so at least keep some logical consistency,
Oneiromancy summoning a card from your deck contradicts W3 lore. Megascope working like cloning devices contradicts Witcher lore in general. Units "training" while being dead makes no sense at all unless they implement some sort of Valhalla-like graveyard for Skellige (I hope not, since they'll break it too). Currently all dead units are just corpses - why should they veterancy work?
As I said you easly find several cards that are not lore friendly and even if, like you, I would higly prefer cards that keep lore and some logical, it as nothing to do with balance, which if we have to choose is more important than some logical/lore details. (and again, yes, having both would be perfect ;) )
This thread is not about Fucusya and how broken it is. CDPR had a choice with the veterans to make it logical or illogical, and both options were perfectly fine for gameplay purposes. Perhaps it was just easier for them not to program additional condition, so they kept it.

I do not complain and veterans aren't broken. It just doesn't make sense they're getting stronger rotting in the grave.
Yes and no... :)
According to the post title, I agree that Fucusya is not the point...
But reading the post it clealy appears that Fucusya and (so-called...) dev SK favoritism is the topic, so...

ps: and yes; maybe they are training in valhalla or experimenting death give them iron will, who knows ? ;)

As I said you easly find several cards that are not lore friendly and even if, like you, I would higly prefer cards that keep lore and some logical, it as nothing to do with balance, which if we have to choose is more important than some logical/lore details. (and again, yes, having both would be perfect ;) )
Well, we don't have either now. And last patch shows how "good" CDPR are at balancing and testing stuff. So maybe they should start with lore consistency at least? When you work with logical systems, players have far less question like the veterancy "issue" and degeneracies like Kolgrim and Snake Mentor won't happen, hopefully. And with logic and actual thinking the balance may come.

One would think that being yanked from the afterlife into a body that was previously subjected to violent deathification would at least leave you weaker then before lol.
Also after coming back, the spirit would only burn less bright then before since a part of it will always be left behind in the shadow realm (at least how GoT did it).
Obviously the reason necromancy is banned is that it comes at a terrible price, its not free (otherwise it might be more popular lol) and that's why it's so rare.

Or you could argue that veteran should require battle experience — and only cards that have been previously played should get the buff. “Graveyard” is not literal — not every card there is actually dead.

Top Bottom