Why does there always have to be something new?

+
When I read some comments that talk about the game being "dead" or "abandoned" because there are no new additions, I really have to shake my head. When did it actually start that games are only "alive" when there are constantly some novelties and expansions to it?

I mean, when was the last update to "Monopoly"? And, is the game less fun now?

I've been playing Cyberpunk 2077 for almost a full year now, almost daily, it's still the same fun as it was in the beginning, I'm still discovering new things in it. There have been a number of technical improvements and visual changes in that time, and one DLC with a couple of jackets and a car (which I don't need or use).

I am happy that patches and bugfixes are still being released, and I hope that Cyberpunk 2077 will eventually reach a state that can be called "polished". Even if - because it is software - it will probably never be "bugfree".

Of course I look forward to an expansion/sequel to Cyberpunk, just as I look forward to a new book by one of my favorite authors or a new movie with one of my favorite actors. But will the last book or movie be worse because the author might not write any more books or the actor might not make any new movies?

I still have an older version 1.22 (thanks to GOG Offline Installer) that I play often (mainly because of Cyber Trucking World, which unfortunately has not been adapted to newer game versions since). I have optimized this version with 200+ mods to a point that I can burn it to CD as completed version, coherent in itself and as a "Definitive Edition". There I don't need to extend or renew anything. I'll still be able to plug this version into the computer in ten or twenty years and play it and have fun.

Just like I load my old Oxyd games onto my Atari from time to time.

People these days are spoiled. I remember having to wait for an entire new game/version, if we got one at all. The multiple releases of Street Fighter II weren't just new characters, there were bugs fixed from the older versions, etc. Then there are the multiplayer/mmo crowd who say a game is "dead" if it takes them longer than 2 minutes to get into a match, or a dungeon. Sure dozens, hundreds, thousands, or even millions of people play the game, but it's dead/sucks/et cetera/et cetera just because they say so.

Maybe people just don’t find it replayable/repeatable to the extent you do.
Very much possible, however how I often see it written is something like: "The game is dead" and it often looks like a 'subjective' idea that abgame may not have new trinkets and an objective count of amount of players (which is often highly skewed, specially in this instance)

And it then comes across like a factual thing, but it simply is not the majority of the time.

For the record: I do agree with OP

I don't understand how you can play the same game almost every day for over a year, especially if it's not a multipalyer game or MMO. I'm pretty sure you're the exception and not the rule, no offence.

Apart from that, the game is still broken on many levels and there haven't been any significant updates or even news for many months, so I understand that some people feel that the game is dead.
Personally, I'll wait unttil patch 1.5 and the current-gen update and if they don't turn around the game by then, I'm out.

When I read some comments that talk about the game being "dead" or "abandoned" because there are no new additions, I really have to shake my head. When did it actually start that games are only "alive" when there are constantly some novelties and expansions to it?

Its a linear RPG story. With definite beginning and end. Its content is finite. If there are no new additions, players will exhaust what there is to offer, get bored, and move on to new games.

This is why I'm against this kind of linear story-driven games these days. I prefer open world multiplayer games with emergent gameplay where players "create their own content". Thus finding themselves new things to do on their own.

Even among other story-driven RPGs, cp2077 doesn't rate very high in comparison due to the limits of its story campaign in my opinion. There is quite a little interesting branching going on in cp2077, thus lowering its replay value. (despite what it was advertised as)

Or maybe the incredible lack of work that has been put into it since release and the fact that we have seen real updates in over four months speaks to why it looks dead.

[...]

No game in my extensive years of playing has made me as sad as this game and the neglect it has received from the dev team.

Last edited by a moderator:

I mean, when was the last update to "Monopoly"? And, is the game less fun now?

I've been playing Cyberpunk 2077 for almost a full year now, almost daily, it's still the same fun as it was in the beginning, I'm still discovering new things in it. There have been a number of technical improvements and visual changes in that time, and one DLC with a couple of jackets and a car (which I don't need or use).

I am happy that patches and bugfixes are still being released, and I hope that Cyberpunk 2077 will eventually reach a state that can be called "polished". Even if - because it is software - it will probably never be "bugfree".

Of course I look forward to an expansion/sequel to Cyberpunk, just as I look forward to a new book by one of my favorite authors or a new movie with one of my favorite actors. But will the last book or movie be worse because the author might not write any more books or the actor might not make any new movies?

I still have an older version 1.22 (thanks to GOG Offline Installer) that I play often (mainly because of Cyber Trucking World, which unfortunately has not been adapted to newer game versions since). I have optimized this version with 200+ mods to a point that I can burn it to CD as completed version, coherent in itself and as a "Definitive Edition". There I don't need to extend or renew anything. I'll still be able to plug this version into the computer in ten or twenty years and play it and have fun.

Just like I load my old Oxyd games onto my Atari from time to time.
Probably because the base game was such an empty shell of an RPG and a worse action game
Post automatically merged:

Also what's funny is that Monopoly gets updated every couple years. There was a big update this year, meaning it's changed more in the last year than cyberpunk has HAHAHAHAHAAH

I don't understand how you can play the same game almost every day for over a year, especially if it's not a multipalyer game or MMO.
Almost also my case (with little breaks), maybe because there is no other games that makes me want to play... I finish a bunch of other games since the last december, but after finishing them, I always go back to Night City anyway and it's always fun (even after a year and "hundreds" hours) :)

I don't understand how you can play the same game almost every day for over a year, especially if it's not a multipalyer game or MMO. I'm pretty sure you're the exception and not the rule, no offence.

I didn't mean that I play it all day every day. Sometimes just ten minutes to try something out, sometimes I don't really "play" but test mods. But yes, may be this makes me part of a very small minority.

Its a linear RPG story. With definite beginning and end. Its content is finite. If there are no new additions, players will exhaust what there is to offer, get bored, and move on to new games.

Yes, even though I think the game has more to offer, especially if you break away from the given story. If I had to play the same story over and over again, I would have put the game aside months ago.

But I wonder why people don't just play other games when they're done with Cyberpunk 2077, but rant about how there's nothing new. Aside from the fact that I don't think "new" always means "better" (patch 1.3.1 was quite a setback for many modders, for example), I can well accept that Cyberpunk 2077 is finished story-wise in its current form (except for bug fixes which are still necessary). Aside from a few cosmetic DLCs and some new side quests and gigs here and there, I can't think of any significant additions that would make the game better in terms of content.

What I'm hoping for is a whole new story in the universe of Cyberpunk. But I can wait patiently for that (because that takes time) and I don't have to drum my fingers nervously on the table.

Also what's funny is that Monopoly gets updated every couple years. There was a big update this year, meaning it's changed more in the last year than cyberpunk has HAHAHAHAHAAH

I haven't played Monopoly in quite a while. The rules are still the same? I thought they were always just adapting new cities and adjusting event cards.

---

But well, my original post was actually a slightly annoyed reaction to a now-closed thread from this morning, in which for the umpteenth time someone complained about the lack of news and therefore called the game "abandoned".

People may like or dislike a product for very different reasons based on their preferences. Games at these days are very different from what games from say 8-bit era. Shoot 'em Up's were that, often conversions from arcade games and nobody expected them to be anything more and etc. However things started to change, games got more features and we have first person or 3rd person shooter with elements from role playing games, setting and story like from adventure / role playing games, player usable vehicles that in the past were exclusive to racing games, etc. and as this has happened there's that there's market today for products that cover very different kind of demands.

Some are in game that may or not be CP 2077 for its story, for some story is there but isn't that important, they just like to do things like fight gangs, or story is there but romantic encounters are very important in that, some are very interested about different character builds, some are interested about other roleplaying things and it's sometimes difficult to tell what roleplaying means to different people, some liked to have cop chases, etc.

Producing these things has become more complicated, more expensive and takes more time. So it's convenient for industry to release DLC and like cosmetics, as they can put trainees to that sort of tasks to see how they perform and it's sort of free advertising to keep your product discussed in media and among gamers attract and keep attention on product as people who are interested about that sort of things keep checking what is happening, what is released and when and they don't forget that product exists. So small DLC like cosmetics, what they achieve is that people don't forget product and when they don't forget product it comes easier to market paid DLC expansions.

I think umbrella description would be like: Building a brand.

This sort of content releases which may or may not be to degree or another a form of advertising has become I guess sort of norm because it's convenient to industry and there's audience that has learned to expect that. "Hey, it's free, cool, I take it".

I didn't mean that I play it all day every day. Sometimes just ten minutes to try something out, sometimes I don't really "play" but test mods. But yes, may be this makes me part of a very small minority.
That is actually kind of a relief, because someone playing the same singleplayer game for hours evey day for a year would have been worrying. But actually, testing mods is adding something new to the game, right? So it's not like you've been playing the same old base game over and over again, you've actually been playing new content (inofficial content, but new content, nevertheless.)

As a console peasant, we don't have these possibilities, for us it's been the same broken, unfinished mess since August. I really don't have a reason to play the game at the moment.

This sort of content releases which may or may not be to degree or another a form of advertising has become I guess sort of norm because it's convenient to industry and there's audience that has learned to expect that.

My full agreement. Of course, the news should keep the product in mind and lead to later sales of expansions or sequels. But why some customers are already so conditioned that they almost despair and talk about "abandoned" or "dead" when these news and tweets and streams do not appear for a few weeks, is something I am very amazed about.

That is actually kind of a relief, because someone playing the same singleplayer game for hours evey day for a year would have been worrying.

This is just as worrisome in multiplayer games, as I can tell after nearly twelve years in World of Warcraft.

So it's not like you've been playing the same old base game over and over again, you've actually been playing new content (inofficial content, but new content, nevertheless.)

Let's say I experiment a lot with how to break out of CDPR's predetermined plot

V meets Johnny and dies

to fill the frame with a new story. I've described it here.

"WHY DOES THERE ALWAYS HAVE TO BE SOMETHING NEW?"

Because our brain has been invented that way. It's its way to grow, to evolve, to learn, to get better. To progress. Counts for every living being, really. Not only humans. Think about new life. Why, if there never was anything new, Cyberpunk, and frankly all other games and products we use today, wouldn't even ever have existed.

The need for new things, is just how life is. Such is nature. There can only be good things coming from new content for Cyberpunk. Will always raise incentive.

Because that's how entertainment is now. Why subscriptions became popular. Why studios, publishers, bloggers, streamers, youtubers do everything to shit out content on regular basis, frequently regardless of quality. So they can remind of themselves. Otherwise folk will decide something is dead and move on.

I'm personally perfectly fine if some piece of entertainment doesn't remind of itself on daily basis. But I hail from the time before streaming and subscriptions.

While i would not say the game is dead a year without content is quite a long time. I get that they hade to fix the console releases and do bug fixes but no news what so ever about even what its going too be about or anything? Yea in todays terms its quite bad imo.

Since i wasent exactly happy with the game either i just wanna know if i should keep hope up or just cut my losses right away so i kinda wish it was dead tbh :D i generaly dont hang here as much nowdays tho so i guess the longer it takes the less i care..

"WHY DOES THERE ALWAYS HAVE TO BE SOMETHING NEW?"

Because our brain has been invented that way. It's its way to grow, to evolve, to learn, to get better. To progress. Counts for every living being, really. Not only humans. Think about new life. Why, if there never was anything new, Cyberpunk, and frankly all other games and products we use today, wouldn't even ever have existed.

The need for new things, is just how life is. Such is nature. There can only be good things coming from new content for Cyberpunk. Will always raise incentive.
It's what how different people define it. Say DLC jacket in game, it's new item, but how it's value is determined, how it impacts to experience of different people, someone is exited, new item adds to their experience, for someone else, it's there, but it's not that interesting, it doesn't add anything new that is relevant to their experience so it's just more of the same.

Top Bottom