[Spoiler Alert] About the endings

+

Do you want more RPGs with happy endings?

• Total voters
yup. You are absolutely right. The problem is that at first glance and because of the way the scene is directed, these things just aren't clear and it just added an extra layer of insecurity and confusion on top of the already crappy ending.
Honestly, it never crossed my mind because killing V in space due to a leak in his spacesuit would have been completely silly... (the dumbest end ever...) especially after what he/she has accomplished before :)

to me all endings are bad. The Devil is also not just bad, but morally questionable.

The suicide ending is more like a bonus option noone takes seriously, I think. It cuts the game short. Like the "refuse" ending in ME3 or the Shura ending in Sekiro (though in Sekiro there are new bosses, so maybe not a joke ending).

Seriously chosing Cyberspace would probably be a little more appealing if we knew more about Cyberspace. They way Alt describes it, it's Cyberhell at best, V loosing his self at worst.

The Star is only hopeful/happy-ish if you are ok with becoming a tarmac rat and have romanced Judy or Panam (or noone). It sucks for everyone else.

The Sun ending sucks if you have romanced Panam or Judy, but also if you have romanced Kerry or River, because V turns into a distant rich-guy asshole without player input. Honestly, to me, it's the ending that sucks most, because with the way I played, this was suppsed to be the ending that worked best for my V and it just didn't work at all. Not to mention the terrible direction of th final cutscene that makes it look as if V was dying because of space suit malfunction at first. It just sucks all the way through.
The suicide ending is the most narratively coherent of them all, and completes the game's exploration of the meaning and purpose of the soul. Both Johnny and V accept that agency matters, awareness matters, and that doing things right rather than senselessly disposing of innocent people because it's all about me, me, me matters.

I will entertain no argument on this point. :)

I will entertain no argument on this point.

That makes me want to argue against it just for the heck of it. :p

I think the decisions that lead to the Star ending in theory also show that V and Johnny are aware that agency matters. They know what they are doing and I think at least in the case of going with Rogue or attacking Arasaka alone, everyone involved knows it's risky and they might not return. I don't think that taking innocent Arasaka employees into consideration fits either V's not Johnny's character, though. V wants to live and Johhny doesn't care. Apart from that, the weapon-wielding security guys you kill during the attack can hardly be considered innocent bystanders.
And, unless you play the whole game as a pacificst, V has already had his share of killing sprees at that point.

Not so sure about the Aldecaldos. At least in my play-through I wasn't all buddy-buddy with them and I kinda supsect they didn't really understand what they were signing up for. V recruiting them is somewhat immoral and I don't like it.

The problem is that it turns out neither the Sun and Star endings have any meaning, since V ends up fucked both ways. But neither he nor Johnny know that when they make their decision on the rooftop.

Apart from that, the weapon-wielding security guys you kill during the attack can hardly be considered innocent bystanders.
Alt kill everybody in the tower, even the unarmed workers (like she transform a car in a "bomb trap").
Saul : "Why she did that... They didn't deserve to die, she haven't any pity"
V : "I don't know, if she remember what pity mean"
So even if V use non lethal weapons, a lot of "innocent and unarmed" poeple who simply worked in the tower, are killed during the assault :)

Yep, at the moment you give her the control of the security, everybody in the tower are executed coldly and immediately...
(except Smasher and the arasaka team who "chase" you)

And the "leaks" (jets) are exactly at the locations planned to evacuate gas... What a happy coincidence... Two "light" side jets for stabilize the rotation/translation and a dorsal jet to "move forward"
Reading latest posts made me think if I'm only thinking that it would be hilarious to hysterical proportions if V would die because of malfunctioning spacesuit? Fight was epic, lot's of people were killed, Rogue would die, or not in "(Don't Fear) the Reaper" variation but anyway, all that effort, all that bloodshed and then.... :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Fight was epic, lot's of people were killed, Rogue would die, or not in "(Don't Fear) the Reaper" variation but anyway, all that effort, all that bloodshed and then....
Yep, hilarious :D
As if Ciri would die in the end of TW3 (the one where she becomes a witcher) by stupidly tripping over a slippery stone.
Or in ME, shepard die by heart attack just before to reach one of the "pillars".
Oops :ROFLMAO:
Post automatically merged:

yup. You are absolutely right. The problem is that at first glance and because of the way the scene is directed, these things just aren't clear and it just added an extra layer of insecurity and confusion on top of the already crappy ending.
About that, I think it should be more obvious with a little camera shot (no need a long one, just 5-10s) where we can see V move away from the "spaceship" slowly, propelled by the jets. Just between the close-up rear camera shot and the close-up on her/his face.
A little like that, with the "spaceship" behind, and the jets highlighted by the sun light (should be a great little sequence, if you ask me) :
astronaut.jpg

Last edited:
They've really given no stance on what's good or bad. It's people: Streamers, etc., who have dubbed it the "bad" ending. Most people view suicide as a bad thing, regardless of if it's the better option for the individual or not.
I think that CDPR helped make it look like the band ending due to all the voice/video mail V gets during the credits.

Personally i feel "devil" is the bad ending, because you basically throw away everything that's been fought for, and give yourself to your enemy.

Partially agree with this since I highly doubt Arasaka will bring V back some day, even if they do later invent the tech to do so, since why would they even bother?

Personally i feel "devil" is the bad ending, because you basically throw away everything that's been fought for, and give yourself to your enemy.
Partially agree with this since I highly doubt Arasaka will bring V back some day, even if they do later invent the tech to do so, since why would they even bother?
In the Devil, V can refuse to sign the contract and back on earth without any "link" with Arasaka (V is free to do whatever he/she want) :)
So V help Hanako/Saburo to "defeat" Yorinobu and Arasaka help V to get rid of the chip, a kinda "win-win" contract.

I want to see if V finally gets rid of the relic
and at what cost if any. Will V's life go back to normal or does V lose part
of themselves after the procedure.

Last edited:
I see them all as "loose ends" I want to see if V finally gets rid of the relic
Matter of opinion :)
In all the endings where Alt is involved (and V back in his/her body), she used the Soulkiller on V, so :
- According to Alt, V loose a part of him/her ("the rest" which could be his/her soul).
- According to Saburo/Johnny, nothing have changed, nothing is lost.
Who to believe ? What's "the rest" which could be lost ?
No thruth, no answer in the game :)

I want to see if V finally gets rid of the relic
Well, one curious area was the notion everything worked. The game indicates translating an organic entity into digital form and stuffing it into a different organic body works. Johnny can continue on and live out his days in V's body. It may not be a perfect copy but the indication was the process itself can work.

It's interesting how replicating what was known to work was never considered. In the game V is isolated from Johnny, re-input into their own body and told 6 months because their original body was compromised. The specifics for why differ but fundamentally this applied to every 6 month ending. The root problems there are V's body and the Relic within it.

The obvious loophole would be to replace those two variables with workable options. A new chip. A new compatible host body. Soulkill V, put them on this new Relic as an engram and put this new chip in this new compatible body. Problem solved. Provided 6 months was enough time to collect those ingredients and bake the cake. Given what V accomplished in mere weeks.... Imagine 6 months with the information, resources and connections available to V by the end of the game.

Well, one curious area was the notion everything worked. The game indicates translating an organic entity into digital form and stuffing it into a different organic body works. Johnny can continue on and live out his days in V's body. It may not be a perfect copy but the indication was the process itself can work.

It's interesting how replicating what was known to work was never considered. In the game V is isolated from Johnny, re-input into their own body and told 6 months because their original body was compromised. The specifics for why differ but fundamentally this applied to every 6 month ending. The root problems there are V's body and the Relic within it.

The obvious loophole would be to replace those two variables with workable options. A new chip. A new compatible host body. Soulkill V, put them on this new Relic as an engram and put this new chip in this new compatible body. Problem solved. Provided 6 months was enough time to collect those ingredients and bake the cake. Given what V accomplished in mere weeks.... Imagine 6 months with the information, resources and connections available to V by the end of the game.
V got shot and died. That's what made the chip work.

It might work with someone else's body of a similar genetic makeup without them being shot in the perfect way, but I'm trying not to spoil story content.

The obvious loophole would be to replace those two variables with workable options. A new chip. A new compatible host body. Soulkill V, put them on this new Relic as an engram and put this new chip in this new compatible body. Problem solved.
It's exactly the "plan" in the Devil ending if V accept to sign the contract and wait in Mikoshi (without any time limit... and if Saburo/Hanako keep their words which it's not guaranteed) :)

Matter of opinion :)
In all the endings where Alt is involved (and V back in his/her body), she used the Soulkiller on V, so :
- According to Alt, V loose a part of him/her ("the rest" which could be his/her soul).
- According to Saburo/Johnny, nothing have changed, nothing is lost.
Who to believe ? What's "the rest" which could be lost ?
No thruth, no answer in the game :)
There's also monks take on that, whom say that it doesn't necessarily change anything but that it may also depend from the point of view or something like that.

In the end it's about what makes us, us. I don't want to go to religion as then it's like what religion and what sect?

But it can be seen as variation of one of the oldest thought experiments, the Ship of Theseus. There's some takes on paradox and I think Chomsky's take might be interesting read there regarding V's situation.

In the Devil, V can refuse to sign the contract and back on earth without any "link" with Arasaka (V is free to do whatever he/she want) :)
So V help Hanako/Saburo to "defeat" Yorinobu and Arasaka help V to get rid of the chip, a kinda "win-win" contract.

If anyone trusts Arasaka, especially Saburo after robbing them is crazy :LOL: Takemura even says that Hanako doesnt care about V anymore :LOL:

And even if V went back to NC after refusing, thats still only 6 months to live, and its probably a progressive decent into death, so its not like V will even get 6 months to do what they want. And on top of that, once V tells people what went down, and how they helped Arasaka, I wonder how many of their friends would be cool about that :LOL:

V got shot and died. That's what made the chip work.

It might work with someone else's body of a similar genetic makeup without them being shot in the perfect way, but I'm trying not to spoil story content.
Hmm, the comment being responded to was about some type of continuation providing a clear resolution to the Relic and 6 month problem.

As noted, we know there is a way in the game to convert an organic meatbag into a digital construct, place this construct on a chip, slot this chip into the head of another organic meatbag and replace it's consciousness with this digital construct.

This working process isn't used on V in any of the endings. There are similarities to it in certain endings but they all differ from what was known to work. It then follows using this known working process would be an option worth exploring. A possibility to reach a resolution.

I suppose the other angle is V is chasing after a process not known to work in the first place. The differences between it and what does work are significant enough to matter. Yet it's presented as a resignation of sorts. We tried V but 6 months is the best you can get. They tried something they didn't know worked. While what did work wasn't attempted.

It's like tossing an item priced at five units of currency in a shopping cart when you only have two units of currency available, attempting to complete the purchase and being told you don't have enough currency. You tried to buy this item and failed because you couldn't afford it. It wouldn't make sense to view the problem as unresovable. The solution is clear as day. Acquire three more units of currency.
It's exactly the "plan" in the Devil ending if V accept to sign the contract and wait in Mikoshi (without any time limit... and if Saburo/Hanako keep their words which it's not guaranteed)
In this plan V is asking permission from a megacorp, being told what to do and taking them at their word to honor it.

Even if it had been necessary to convert V right then and there to preserve as much as possible nothing prohibits using a copy. Convert V and store them as an engram. Make a copy of this engram and stuff it back into V's own body. The original body version of V could then track down the other ingredients before placing their own stored engram into this new body (bit of a mindfuck, I know).

Plus, It could be argued V should have stopped asking for permission. Don't ask them. Tell them. Would they listen out of the kindness of their heart? It's a megacorp so probably not. V can cause a lot of damage in 2 weeks though. Imagine 6 months. Arasaka has little stake in whether V lives a day, 6 months or 40 years. However, they might settle to avoid the court costs. It's called leverage.

Top Bottom