Something Vic said (SPOILERS just to be safe)

+
I've been playing the game again, and something Vic said got me curious. He mentioned that you can replace your entire body, but not the brain. Does this mean Ghost in the Shell levels of cyberization are possible, you know, full body conversion like the Major? Could transferring into a shell save V's life?
(please note i have no issue with V dying, but i support possibilities to save their life, as long as they're not absolutely ridiculous, like how they brought back Steve Rogers in the comics)
V's problem is her brain is being overwritten by Johnnys digital DNA (the way it's explained is a masterpiece of scifi speak mumbojumbo and makes not a single ounce of sense, but hey) As for replacing your body, in Cyberpunk 2020 there were numerous models of Full Body Conversion that were a fully robotic bodies with some simulated body functions. All a person needed to do was to put their brain into so called biopod (a device keeping the brain and the central nervous system alive) and put it into chosen FBC. There were fully mecha FBC's as that of Adam Smasher but there were also models like Gemini that looked and felt human, and even dad option to fully enjoy human pleasures like eating and having sex (except having kids, but why would anyone consider it a pleasure is a mystery to me).
So, basically, the tech level of Cyberpunk 2020 timeline, especially around IV corp war was very similar to that of Ghost in the Shell.
However, a lot of that stuff fell victim to a retcon virus that swept over cyberpunk universe :)

V's problem is her brain is being overwritten by Johnnys digital DNA (the way it's explained is a masterpiece of scifi speak mumbojumbo and makes not a single ounce of sense, but hey) As for replacing your body, in Cyberpunk 2020 there were numerous models of Full Body Conversion that were a fully robotic bodies with some simulated body functions. All a person needed to do was to put their brain into so called biopod (a device keeping the brain and the central nervous system alive) and put it into chosen FBC. There were fully mecha FBC's as that of Adam Smasher but there were also models like Gemini that looked and felt human, and even dad option to fully enjoy human pleasures like eating and having sex (except having kids, but why would anyone consider it a pleasure is a mystery to me).
So, basically, the tech level of Cyberpunk 2020 timeline, especially around IV corp war was very similar to that of Ghost in the Shell.
However, a lot of that stuff fell victim to a retcon virus that swept over cyberpunk universe :)
Did the rules of the game change? If not, i wouldn't really call anything in 2077 a retcon, so much as an alternate reality. It's like the Witcher games. Based on some of the pre-existing events, but not bound to them in a way they can't explore the world freely.

Did the rules of the game change? If not, i wouldn't really call anything in 2077 a retcon, so much as an alternate reality. It's like the Witcher games. Based on some of the pre-existing events, but not bound to them in a way they can't explore the world freely.
Well, Witcher games are direct followup to the books. What happened in the books follow into games. Cyberpunk 2077 changes events, people and places from Cyberpunk 2020. It really depends on the end user perception. If it's considere canon, that's retcon. If it's not canon, that's alternate reality.
I could write a literal essay about how bad and pointlessly CP2020 got retconed :)

I said it in another thread and I say it again: Just let us transfer V's mind into a completely new body.
That way we can at least change the appearance again. :p

I could write a literal essay about how bad and pointlessly CP2020 got retconed :)

Based on what?

Johnny's engram's recollection of events?

I'm pretty sure Mike Pondsmith was behind the story beats of Cyberpunk 2077 and Red and they're all canon, and there's this tidbit of information from him where he says that we shouldn't believe everything coming out of Johnny's mouth - I have a sneaky suspicion that it's not really Johnny Silverhand, not in his true form and his recollection of events were altered with the goal of having him chase for Alt.

Based on what?

Johnny's engram's recollection of events?

I'm pretty sure Mike Pondsmith was behind the story beats of Cyberpunk 2077 and Red and they're all canon, and there's this tidbit of information from him where he says that we shouldn't believe everything coming out of Johnny's mouth - I have a sneaky suspicion that it's not really Johnny Silverhand, not in his true form and his recollection of events were altered with the goal of having him chase for Alt.
Didn't one of the devs say during one of the trailers that 2077 take place in an alternate version of the cyberpunk world, too?

You also have to remember the fallout after Cyberpunk 2020 and the Corpo Wars which would have impacted the evolution of technology and general access to the public.

And all of that is still present in Cyberpunk 2077 and possibly available to V afterwards when they have more connections and influence at the end of the game, we don't know yet.
Post automatically merged:

Didn't one of the devs say during one of the trailers that 2077 take place in an alternate version of the cyberpunk world, too?

I honestly don't remember that at all.

All I know is that Pondsmith created the lore of 2077 and used Red to tie in some of the gaps and the fact that V as a character cannot know what really happened in the past so they rely on Johnny's supposed memories of the events.

I'm pretty sure it's not an oversight not having Blackhand present or even mentioned in any of the major story beats besides a throwaway line from Jack.

I honestly don't remember that at all.

All I know is that Pondsmith created the lore of 2077 and used Red to tie in some of the gaps and the fact that V as a character cannot know what really happened in the past so they rely on Johnny's supposed memories of the events.
Yeah, this came up several times on the Madqueen's channel when they had J. Gray or Mike Pondsmith there. But really, it's in the game, what Alt says. I don't always know where these questions come from.

What comes to other things. Pondsmith also himself has to retcon some things from CP 2020 to CP Red as they just didn't work anymore for a reason or another. He tells about that on his Cyberpunk Day interview. It's on youtube.

I'm pretty sure it's not an oversight not having Blackhand present or even mentioned in any of the major story beats besides a throwaway line from Jack.
It's like that for a good reason.

Top Bottom