Let's complain about things that aren't parroted in the media

+
There are so many complaints about the game but I think the people that do the most complaining aren't the people that have completed the game multiple times in every lifepath and gotten every achievement available in the game. I'd like to hear the complaints of people that ACTUALLY PLAYED the game to a point that they could possibly be more useful in giving their opinions about what should be different.

I have 237 hours. Am I eligible to complain in your opinion?
hours.jpg

Lets try for the umpteenth time:
- The story is trash. By far the biggest issue I have with the game. The main thing they advertised the game with, is trash.
- the story is linear, short, and with not much at all of branching or decisions mattering
- There are not enough immersive elements to the world. Simple things that devs didn't bother paying attention to, kill immersion. The bugs certainly didn't help here, but bugs were never an issue to me. This is the second biggest issue I have with the game.
- The combat passes the minimum expectations, but is not great. The weapons have like, two animations unique to them each. Basically every other action-RPG on my steam library and elsewhere(ubisoft) has more fun and engaging combat.
- The basic game systems and balance are still out of whack, after a year. (Athletics leveling etc). I dunno if you had any game testers or just didnt listen to them.
- The radio music is terrible (as I complained like, a year before the games release when they published what artists they had hired. I knew it was going to be bad. It was.
- Shop inventories, particularly cybernetics, feel very shallow. I still cant even fill all my cybernetics slots.

And nothing important has changed during this one year they have had time to fix things. And looks like it won't, either.

Last edited:
I have 237 hours. Am I eligible to complain in your opinion?
View attachment 11273437

Lets try for the umpteenth time:
- The story is trash. By far the biggest issue I have with the game. The main thing they advertised the game with, is trash.
- the story is linear, short, and with not much at all of branching or decisions mattering
- There are not enough immersive elements to the world. Simple things that devs didn't bother paying attention to, kill immersion. The bugs certainly didn't help here, but bugs were never an issue to me. This is the second biggest issue I have with the game.
- The combat passes the minimum expectations, but is not great. The weapons have like, two animations unique to them each. Basically every other action-RPG on my steam library and elsewhere(ubisoft) has more fun and engaging combat.
- The basic game systems and balance are still out of whack, after a year. (Athletics leveling etc). I dunno if you had any game testers or just didnt listen to them.
- The radio music is terrible (as I complained like, a year before the games release when they published what artists they had hired. I knew it was going to be bad. It was.
- Shop inventories, particularly cybernetics, feel very shallow. I still cant even fill all my cybernetics slots.

And nothing important has changed during this one year they have had time to fix things. And looks like it won't, either.
:coolstory: :facepalm:

I've done one full playthrough, tried to do all of the main-story branches, finished all of the cyberpsycho missions, and did a fair few of the NCPD missions, and some random gigs (mostly theft-based ones.)

My biggest issues were down to:

- Many, many little bugs and glitches in missions that all added up to a few frustrating moments, or moments where I could see so clearly how something that could have been really fun and engaging was instead clunky and/or lackluster. (Note: I've not really played much over the last 2, big patches, so I mention this hesitantly. It was noticeable for me, though.)

- Combat feels a little light and floaty. Especially melee never felt like it carried a good, solid, tactile sense of impact. For shooting, while some firearms feel great, others feel non-descript. It's again that many guns don't really feel like they carry much punch or impact.

- Driving vehicles ranges from okay to a bit annoying. It becomes smoother once you get used to it, but it never really feels good.

- The phone. It seems you can't move more than 100 feet in any direction before your comms will come alive and your focus will be pulled off of what you're presently doing and interrupted by often completely unrelated things. (This is a personal quip, but it's the one I would choose to fix first from this list. This was probably the thing that I disliked the most.)

But I still recommend it! I loved the story. Nuanced, very well thought-out, and extremely interesting. I know that many people are probably looking for something more "Hollywood blockbuster" in approach, but it's exactly the intimacy and almost naturalistic tones that the story takes on that really felt great to me. It's not "trying to posture and pose" as a shockingly dark and harrowing vision of the future; it simply is a dark and gritty view of the future, delivered as if it's just everyday life. And that is what makes it really effective and harrowing.

I think huge reason for complaints is quality discrepancy. Overall the game is of very high quality and fidelity (animations, art, story, models, textures). This makes even the tiniest detail of lesser quality stand out like sore thumb, while it would've been perfectly fine in simpler product.
OTOH that's one of main selling points of premium products - consistent quality across the whole experience while packing all the features that matter. Crude comparison would be luxury car with hand crank engine start and stamped steel wheels, but hey - it has wunderbaum and LPG conversion stock.

I did like the characters and the storytelling (the elements and the usage of diffrent philosophies and so on) The story in itself i found pretty bland with way too few variatons too merit more playtroughs. The world is facinating and pretty cool but i knew that before. The city in itself is both cool and pretty boring, there were so much talk about verticality but i dont really feel its been used nicely. Sure you can jump up on roofs and soon, generaly theres nothing there anyways.

Grafics and sound design was pretty awsome and spot on even with the pretty bad preformance. I kinda built this pc for it so i could brute force myself too decent fps and with all the bells and whistles it does look pretty amazing. Im dissapointed in the mirros and lack of Vs reflections and the sometimes dodgy RTX shadows that can get bugged out.

Generaly it was a decent game for me, way too little RPG and too short for my tastes tho. Great gameplay could have compensated that but i found the combat too become pretty boring after awhile. Either your OP or it takes 1 clip too kill 1 enemy. Melee was kinda clunky and lacked impact and gun play while pretty decent for a first try just got boring after awhile. I missed some kinda power usage that was action based or combos or something too focus a bit during combat.

Heck i even enjoyed playing DA2 and Me:Andromedia even if the story and RPG elements where lacking since they hade pretty good fast paced combat with diffrent playstyles. It was fun testing out builds and seeing how you could optimise it. Anyways just a few of my thoughts.

Sorry just started reading this thread, I'm still a bit behind. As I understood what Vic inserts in V is an NCPD database history on criminals. It's how V sees past felonies like "blackmail,...". What gives access to crimes in progress is that V is a registered "outside asset" (the term the ncpd woman uses on the calls on blue skull face missions "to all ncpd..."). What I always thought is that ncpd is streached thin so these registered freelancers receive notifications for crimes happening that the police can't cover

There are so many complaints about the game but I think the people that do the most complaining aren't the people that have completed the game multiple times in every lifepath and gotten every achievement available in the game. I'd like to hear the complaints of people that ACTUALLY PLAYED the game to a point that they could possibly be more useful in giving their opinions about what should be different.
You realize that playing every lifepath make no difference at all right?
You should have noticed it, if you done multiple gameplay :shrug:

You realize that playing every lifepath make no difference at all right?
You should have noticed it, if you done multiple gameplay :shrug:
They don't change the main arc of:
V and Jackie --> the heist --> Arasaka and the Johnny engram --> Jackie and Dex bite the dust --> V must decide how to spend his/her final days --> a number of disparate resolutions.

This is the point of the gameplay. The story is a tragedy, no matter how you slice it. Just like a comedy is a comedy, no matter how you slice it. The choice and consequence comes into play with the reasons that V decides to act on. Is it vengeance? Is it a desire to truly stop Arasaka from doing what they're doing? Is is selfish: just a continuing desire to become a legend? Is it a desperate attempt to simply save their own life, somehow?

These are the considerations that drive the player to make one choice over another. No, there's no "happy ending", but the individual resolutions are drastically different in their meaning.

I feel the game world is so big and detailed, a player would want to 'live in the world' instead of taking drastic actions in the main quests and trying to change it. In reality trying to change a stable power structure usually brings even worse consequences.

I'd like to see more of this "livability" even if it's small details to enhance the roleplaying experience.
Affinity with different gangs and factions - even what you wear defines acceptance and hostility.
Ability to recruit a crew or companion to do dynamically generated jobs for friendly factions.
A mission maker where you can select your employer and search for abovementioned jobs.
Details concerning ownership of property and vehicles - Being able to buy a basic business as a front for your mercenary services? Employing your hired muscle and companions to build things for sale, offer services, gain info on factions and jobs?
V and romanceable characters' apartments currently don't have proper parking lots, the worst being Judy's, can't even fit a normal sized car in there.

Missing sleep option in Judy's apartment, or at least let me interact with the pillows :D
Aaaaaaaand more story missions. More side quests. We need more story.

Just to go back to the map clutter/ quest marker discussion, I was really annoyed that all the hologram graffiti markers appeared once the quest started, they are precisely the kind of end-game completionist content that would have brought me back time and again to look for, and eventually using this forum or a wiki to find the last couple of elusive ones. They shouldn't just be there for the taking, especially as they're all near major quests and there is loads of interesting stuff nearby unmarked "openworld" shard based stories etc.

The year is 2022, people still don't know that you can disable "?" from displaying on the main map in Witcher.
With that being said, this feature is absent in Cyberpunk and should be brought back.
I wouldn't go as far as to say that radio is terrible, but in comparison to in-game themes it is somewhat jarring.

I don't know, whether or not this are popular complains, but I'm going to post them anyway:
- Outside of strength, there are barely any dialogue skill-checks that affect the conversation in a meaningful way - cool, intellect and others barely do anything;
- Despite having a question mark on every corner, most of them feel the same and don't affect the world. There was really cool aspect of Witcher 3, where you can free merchants/save villages, things like that give some meaning to exploration, open new areas/people and are plain satisfying. It can be implemented here with ease;
- Give the ability to invest in shops for profit and/or new items;
- Would've been fun to have an ability to save Jackie, even if he later leaves the city/stays in a coma or some other thing, doesn't matter. Just allow more player input in his fate;
- Some of the side quest-lines aren't finished, for example Meredith has only one "side mission" - and that's it, which is quite a shame, Peralez questline just ends abruptly, without that much of a closure, etc.
- There was a quest where some girl in a warehouse went cyber-psycho and regardless of whether or not you knock her out, her friend says that she is dead. Adding alternative voice line shouldn't be this much of a problem;
- It's a 2020 video game, add a goddamn walk button.
Almost everything I've listed was possible to implement in their certain game from 2015, it not only could be - it absolutely should be done here.

Last edited:
The biggest complaint I have about this game is that between the prologue which is unique to each life path and where the story proper first starts is a section of the story which contains a huge portion of character development depicted as a freaking cut scene. All the bugs, bad design decisions, etc I've mostly forgotten since I played the game a while ago but I was so baffled by this one thing that I still remember it clear as day.
Not having this section as playable part of the story has to be the most stupid decision I've ever seen made in creating a game story.

The other one is that the story is designed around the concept of time limits in an open world game where you're encouraged to faff about for as long as you want and it's game over once the story concludes. Absolute nonsense. It's completely immersion breaking when what you want to do and what you're allowed to do are at odds with what the story represents as your situation.

It's just not really common as a goal, normally players are there from start to end (but who know, as Mr Blue Eyes was there, maybe an expansion could expand this quest line).
Yeah, honestly, when it comes to Mr Blue Eyes, the expansion explanation seems like their actual goal. Or at least I hope so, otherwise it would be a set up without payoff which is quite sad.

Last edited:
They don't change the main arc of:

As you just said, we do not have control over V's fate. How does this promote the idea that "choices are important"?
The story is worse than tragedy, since we know how it is going to end from the very beginning. It is completely set in stone. This is what makes it a terrible story. The fact that you know how its going to end completely undermines the whole story.

The story basically is:
"Player gets told they have cancer and two weeks to live. Then, after two weeks, they die." Thats it. Thats the story.

Nothing else has any meaning. There is no reason for me to care one iota about any other character if Im going to die. There is no REASON for me to do ANYTHING in this game, because I already know how its going to end and I have no agency over it.
Whoever wrote this doesn't understand basic rules of storytelling, or intentionally tried to buck every tradition, failing miserably, because those are traditions for a reason. This is why the story is trash.

Furthermore, there is NO character progress for ANY of the NPCs either. Apart from the ones that die, all of them end the game in the same place they started. No change is being done. Anywhere.

Furthermore, there is NO character progress for ANY of the NPCs either. Apart from the ones that die, all of them end the game in the same place they started. No change is being done. Anywhere.

That's not true at least for Judy and Kerry if you do their quests properly. River doesn't have much development except for changing his job and Panam ends up where she started except for having more power within her clan (I didn't really feel that she had learned all that mich from her mistakes). The rest of the NPCs sadly isn't really important and hasn't any character development, that's correct.

As you just said, we do not have control over V's fate. How does this promote the idea that "choices are important"?
The story is worse than tragedy, since we know how it is going to end from the very beginning. It is completely set in stone. This is what makes it a terrible story. The fact that you know how its going to end completely undermines the whole story.

The story basically is:
"Player gets told they have cancer and two weeks to live. Then, after two weeks, they die." Thats it. Thats the story.

Nothing else has any meaning. There is no reason for me to care one iota about any other character if Im going to die. There is no REASON for me to do ANYTHING in this game, because I already know how its going to end and I have no agency over it.
Whoever wrote this doesn't understand basic rules of storytelling, or intentionally tried to buck every tradition, failing miserably, because those are traditions for a reason. This is why the story is trash.

I hear you, and i would be inclined to agree with most of the things you said, however i try to view things this way; V dies no matter what so they have nothing to lose, but they can at least help others before they go.
The story isn't bad but a lot of it feels cut out, maybe the expansions will help making it feel more "complete"

Top Bottom