DLSS 2.2.11 works miracles (Remember to update Nvidia Drivers)

+
Well, I was about to post that I didn't have that 131844 folder (I'd looked after the earlier posts in this thread and am sure it wasn't there) but... now I do. Created on 21st Nov, without me doing anything :)

I guess this means people won't be able to keep their 'preferred' DLSS version anymore, unless they avoid updating Nvidia drivers altogether?
Good question, maybe DLSS does not get replaced if something other than the version the game ships with is used. However, I doubt this is the case and I think it will be more difficult to use a specific DLSS version.

That being said, even though I'm a proponent of user freedom, I do think this clearly shows the confidence Nvidia has in their product and the also believe that new versions of DLSS are an improvement for every game, even if the game was developed for another version.

Well, I was about to post that I didn't have that 131844 folder (I'd looked after the earlier posts in this thread and am sure it wasn't there) but... now I do. Created on 21st Nov, without me doing anything
Well, as noted that directory is created when launching CP. Perhaps you had not launched the game in a while.

I assumed this 131844 directory corresponded to CP. As it turns out it looks like the directories in C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA\NGX\models\dlss\versions correspond to different DLSS versions. I suppose that isn't surprising given the file path (\dlss\versions.... duh :)).

Wild guess, the game has it's own file in .dll format and if it's happy with this it will use it. If it is calling for a new version it probably says, "Hey driver, I want a newer version.". The driver will then point the game to the newer version it stores in programdata in .bin format. If the version the game wants doesn't exist in programdata the driver will grab it and put it there (or the game launcher does so, not sure which...).

I'd also assume specific games are looking for specific DLSS versions. In the CP example it wants v2.3.4 but the game includes v2.1.39. So the driver goes out and gets it. Based on DCV9's post SOTTR is looking for v2.3.2. Since this is included in the game directory it simply uses that .dll file.

Well, as noted that directory is created when launching CP. Perhaps you had not launched the game in a while.
Ooh no, I play it a LOT :)

But in any case, I've just tried something which I think confirms the scenario you suggested:
* deleted the 2.3.4 version from the game folder (that I'd manually put there) and restored the 2.1.39
* renamed the 131844 folder to 131844_temp
* launched the game.

Process Explorer showed the game started with the 2.1.39 dll, but in addition the 131844 folder and files were immediately re-created.

Quit and re-launched, and game used the dll from the 131844 folder, ignoring the one in the game folder.

So this seems pretty nice, the game (launched from GOG) does seem to take care of things. I suppose it would be even nicer if it used the new version immediately.

So this seems pretty nice, the game (launched from GOG) does seem to take care of things. I suppose it would be even nicer if it used the new version immediately.
I am very certain that it is not the game taking care of things but the driver. If you start the game, you also see for a split second that nvupdate.exe is started. Maybe that's a thing that has to be implemented on a per-game basis that does additional things aside from updating DLSS. However, given that I haven't seen both is possible

I am very certain that it is not the game taking care of things but the driver. If you start the game, you also see for a split second that nvupdate.exe is started. Maybe that's a thing that has to be implemented on a per-game basis that does additional things aside from updating DLSS. However, given that I haven't seen both is possible
Well, whether it's the game itself, or the game invoking nvupdate, I don't really care :) Mainly I'm happy that the latest DLSS is always made available and I can stop caring.

DLSS 2.3.5 is out, I'm not providing any link because as we know the driver should take care of it :)

With that being said, it seems like you have to be on the newest driver as well for this feature to work appropriately. Since I'm on an older version, it still uses 2.3.4.

Update from me.

From today, I am rendering CP at 4K, to be able to grab nice screenshots. Still displaying at 1080p.
It isn't that bad at all with Quality DLSS. 41 - 65 fps, and actually playable.

Still keeping the game at the original DLSS, whatever it is. Hmm... let me check; 2.1.39.0 it be.

Last edited:
Update from me.

From today, I am rendering CP at 4K, to be able to grab nice screenshots. Still displaying at 1080p.
It isn't that bad at all with Quality DLSS. 41 - 65 fps, and actually playable.

Still keeping the game at the original DLSS, whatever it is. Hmm... let me check; 2.1.39.0 it be.
Are you sure? Because when you are using the newest drivers, DLSS will be updated automatically...just sayin'

Are you sure? Because when you are using the newest drivers, DLSS will be updated automatically...just sayin'
Yeah, I am aware that it should. From a long while ago. I even forgot about it.

Still, I've been updating for a long time, wiping the drivers with DDU (just cause I usually do that) before installing new ones, and yet DLSS wasn't updated. Something is broken with that replace-the-dlss-DLL process for me. Not the first nvidia bug.

At 497.29 now.

Yeah, I am aware that it should. From a long while ago. I even forgot about it.

Still, I've been updating for a long time, wiping the drivers with DDU (just cause I usually do that) before installing new ones, and yet DLSS wasn't updated. Something is broken with that replace-the-dlss-DLL process for me. Not the first nvidia bug.

At 497.29 now.

The new nvidia drivers don't replace the .dll file in the game's folder, they're simply using a different one that came with the driver itself.
The file in the CP2077 folder will most likely always stay V2.1.39.

The new nvidia drivers don't replace the .dll file in the game's folder, they're simply using a different one that came with the driver itself.
The file in the CP2077 folder will most likely always stay V2.1.39.
Tho, I just swapped it for, eh, 2.3.5, and notice an uplift of some 5 fps. It's much of a leap away from the previous 41 - 65 fps for 4k maxed-out settings, and quality DLSS.
Not sure if it's a placebo, or they improved DLSS performance as well and this did it.

Though.. I just checked and my game is still using 2.3.4.0 (from the .bin file in the Nvidia-generated folder). Does that mean the later version isn't officially certified for CP2077? Or is my system not updating as-intended?

PS just checked, if I remove the 2.3.4.0 file, it is re-downloaded on starting the game, so the in-game update is working, just not fetching nything newer yet.

Though.. I just checked and my game is still using 2.3.4.0 (from the .bin file in the Nvidia-generated folder). Does that mean the later version isn't officially certified for CP2077? Or is my system not updating as-intended?

PS just checked, if I remove the 2.3.4.0 file, it is re-downloaded on starting the game, so the in-game update is working, just not fetching nything newer yet.
That's a tad bit aggressive from an updater imo. It should talk to the user about what it is doing or not.

I guess I shut down some of the Nvidia's shiniest from the Task Scheduler and it isn't bothering me. I can put the 2.3.5.0 where that *.dll should be, in bin, tho. And it sticks there.

I assume you have to be on the latest drivers and the newest DLSS version needd to be integrated into those drivers.

That's a tad bit aggressive from an updater imo. It should talk to the user about what it is doing or not.
I don't know, it shows Nvidia is confident in newer DLSS version being superior than older DLSS versions. From that standpoint, many libraries are updated during a driver update without the user being specifically asked or notified.

I assume you have to be on the latest drivers and the newest DLSS version needd to be integrated into those drivers.

I don't know, it shows Nvidia is confident in newer DLSS version being superior than older DLSS versions. From that standpoint, many libraries are updated during a driver update without the user being specifically asked or notified.
Is it coming during the driver update? That would be all right.

I understood from the above that DLSS is updated when launching the game as opposed to installing the driver, and thought perhaps the user should be notified of system changes.

Last edited:

I understood from the above that DLSS is updated when launching the game as opposed to installing the driver, and thought perhaps the user should be modified of system changes.
From my understanding it doesent modify the game files but uses a file in nvidias folder instead of the original DLSS file. So pretty much a hotswapped way of doing it.

And it seems too only do it if you have the original file in Cp2077 folder, so if you modify your DLSS file it wont do it? Dont have it installed so cant test.

Last edited:
From my understanding it doesent modify the game files but uses a file in nvidias folder instead of the original DLSS file. So pretty much a hotswapped way of doing it.

And it seems too only do it if you have the original file in Cp2077 folder, so if you modify your DLSS file it wont do it? Dont have it installed so cant test.
If you copy a different dll into the game folder, and delete the one in the Nvidia folder, it will use the one you manually put into the game folder the next time you start the game, BUT at the same time it redownloads the one it really wants to use into the Nvidia folder, and will use that the next time you play.

I say 'it', I think it's been mentioned that the game doesn't do this, it's handled by an Nvidia process. Not as part of the normal graphic drivers update.

I understood from the above that DLSS is updated when launching the game as opposed to installing the driver, and thought perhaps the user should be modified of system changes.
It is updating the game's DLSS on the fly

I've noticed that non of my DLSS versions in ProgramData have been updated by the recent driver version 511.23.
File 160_B9DB490.bin in folder 131844 hasn't been modified since November 2021, although there are newer versions available for other games like Horizon Zero Dawn. Could it be possible that each version has been fine-tuned for just a handful of games? And could it be possible that manually swapping around these files actually increases issues like ghosting?

I've noticed that non of my DLSS versions in ProgramData have been updated by the recent driver version 511.23.
File 160_B9DB490.bin in folder 131844 hasn't been modified since November 2021, although there are newer versions available for other games like Horizon Zero Dawn. Could it be possible that each version has been fine-tuned for just a handful of games? And could it be possible that manually swapping around these files actually increases issues like ghosting?
Well, anything could be possible and it is difficult to make any educated assumptions without knowing the code. That being said, it might also depend on Nvidia's confidence regarding one DLSS version or the other. But yeah, it does seem like the drivers do not automatically updpate to each new version, which is a bit of a pity to be honest...

Top Bottom