CD Project RED | Triss Merigold.

+
I warn you right away, I don't speak English very well, since I am Russian, so there may be inaccuracies in the translation.

On the "Spoiler" tab, I will send the topic in Russian, just in case.
All quotes are taken from the official translation of the Witcher books.
I appeal to the developers, as I want to get answers from them on all points.

ENGLISH (ENG):

I welcome you, dear players and fans of the Witcher Universe. I would like to ask about the dates of the events of my favorite character - Triss Merigold. This mainly concerns the card game «GWENT». I will describe everything according to the points below, I also want to appeal to the developers of the CD Project RED company themselves.

ITEM 1: Date of birth. In the «GWENT», in the event «The Journey of Triss», you can find out that Triss Merigold was born in 1221. Although the book mentions a completely different date. Triss herself tells Cirilla how she was born 50 years after the pogrom in Kaer Morhen (at Vesemir).
According to Roderic de November's History, Kaer Morhen was besieged and taken in 1185-1188.
Quote from Triss Merigold from the book «Blood of Elves»: «But I, little Ciri, do not recognise collective responsibility, I do not feel the need to expiate the events which took place half a century before my birth».
1221, Year of birth.png

What do we have? 1185+50=1235. And in the event it is written that Triss was born in 1221, which is a mistake, or the developers changed the plot component. The year 1275 has come in the set of additions «Blood and Wine», the game «The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt». So Triss Merigold, given this date, is already 54 years old, not 37. Even purely for logical reasons, this can not be! Why does a 54-year-old sorceress behave like a girl? Okay, there's 37, but 54 is, as for me, nonsense. It feels like something is wrong with her... you can also add that the impression of Triss and Ciri's relationship is completely spoiling. Triss Merigold considers Cirilla to be her younger sister, and having an age of 54 when Ciri is 23 is very stupid. It's much more logical when Triss is 37 and Ciri is 23. This is much more logical and so their relationship to each other is felt more.

ITEM 2: Did Triss study at Aretuza? In GWENT described that in 1233 Triss Merigold went to study at the Aretuza school (that's exactly what Aretuza is not Academy, but a School). You can also add that only those girls who have shortcomings in their appearance were trained in Aretuza. Their parents specially gave them to Aretuza, because they understood that no one would take such a woman as a wife. As for Triss Merigold, she was an exception! She had an absolutely normal and naturally beautiful appearance, without the intervention of magic.

Young Triss.jpg

I quote a phrase about Aretuza herself:

«Not another word. Dismount. And mind your manners. This isn’t the school. It’s in Aretuza, not in Gors Velen. This is a bank». («The Time of Contempt»).

Also in the book «The Time of Contempt» we can read the following dialogue between Yennefer and Triss, I quote:

«– I know. I’ll be careful. And by the way... – Triss lowered her voice. – How’s she doing? Will I be able to see her?

– If you finally decide to run classes at Aretuza, – smiled Yennefer, – you’ll be able to see her very often.

– Ah, said Triss, – opening her eyes widely. – I see. Is Ciri...?»

In this dialogue, Yennefer offers Triss to be a teacher at Aretuza. It is not known whether Triss studied at Aretuza or not. But the dialogue is interesting.

And as you know, in Aretuza, all enchantresses are sterilized by force (and I'm not talking about this from a Netflix series, but from a book).

I quote an excerpt from the book «The Poisoned Source»:

«No one is born a wizard. We still know too little about genetics and the mechanisms of heredity. We sacrifice too little time and means on research. Unfortunately, we constantly try to pass on inherited magical abilities in, so to say, a natural way. Results of these pseudo-experiments can be seen all too often in town gutters and within temple walls. We see too many of them, and too frequently come across morons and women in a catatonic state, dribbling seers who soil themselves, seeresses, village oracles and miracleworkers, cretins whose minds are degenerate due to the inherited, uncontrolled Force.

These morons and cretins can also have offspring, can pass on abilities and thus degenerate further. Is anyone in a position to foresee or describe how the last link in such a chain will look?

Most of us wizards lose the ability to procreate due to somatic changes and dysfunction of the pituitary gland. Some wizards – usually women – attune to magic while still maintaining efficiency of the gonads. They can conceive and give birth – and have the audacity to consider this happiness and a blessing. But I repeat: no one is born a wizard. And no one should be born one! Conscious of the gravity of what I write, I answer the question posed at the Congress in Cidaris. I answer most emphatically: each one of us must decide what she wants to be – a wizard or a mother.

I demand all apprentices be sterilised. Without exception»

Tissaia de Vries, The Poisoned Source.
1235, A skilled healer.png

It can be assumed that Triss Merigold has not been sterilized and may have a child. Is it so? Based on the books, then-yes. Since Geralt's mother from Rivia, Visenna, was also a sorceress! Another interesting fact is that Visenna and Triss have red hair, blue eyes (in the third part of the game, Triss has green eyes), as well as a special magical ability in terms of healing. At one time, the most popular Academy was the «Oxenfurt Academy».
Visenna.png

Visenna.

There are several departments in Oxenfurt:
  • Department of Trouverism and Poetry. For a whole year, Buttercup worked as a teacher Jaskier.
  • Department of Medicine and Herbal Medicine, where Shani studied.
  • Department of Engineering.
  • Department of Philosophy.
  • Department of Natural History.
All these departments are not very suitable for a girl who wants to connect her future life with magic. However, there are two other departments that are much more strongly connected with magic. Firstly, it is the Department of Alchemy, as well as the Department of Supernatural Phenomena. It is here that magicians sometimes teach, who come to Oxenfurt with guest lectures. By the way, Geralt, who was a free student of the Oxenfurt Academy, also studied there. It is possible that Triss Merigold was trained in Oxenfurt, although this is not described anywhere, even in the book. Triss dreamed of being a healer and had a special magical ability in this regard, so it is more logical to assume that she studied at the Department of Alchemy.
1233, Arrival at the Academy.png

P.S: In the book «The Time of Contempt» you can find out that after Tissai de Vries, Margarita Laux-Antille took the post of rector of Aretuza.
And yet, in the book «Blood of the Elves» you can read the moment where Triss Merigold had an internship with some strict enchantress, but again it is unknown from whom and most importantly - where.

Famous sorceresses who had the ability to have children: Visenna, Vilgefortz's mother (name unknown), Ilona Laux-Antille (Margarita Laux-Antille grandmother).

ITEM 3: The first meeting with Geralt. In GWENT written that the first meeting takes place in 1243. Judging by the event, the plot is taken from the Netflix series "The Witcher", since it was in the 3rd episode of season 1 that a character named Triss Merigold first meets Geralt, being an Adviser to the king of Temeria, Foltest. The book does not describe the first meeting. It is only known that according to the original source, Triss had NO part in saving Geralt when he took an order for a string! Adda wounded Geralt in the neck, and Velerad (Foltest's servant) saved the witcher.

I quote a moment from the book «The Last Wish»:

«He saw the whitened walls and beamed ceiling of the small chamber above the guardroom. He moved his head, grimacing with pain, and moaned. His neck was bandaged, thickly, thoroughly, professionally.

– Lie still, witcher, – said Velerad. – Lie, do not move.

– My... sword...

– Yes, yes. Of course, what is most important is your witcher's silver sword. It's here, don't worry. Both the sword and your little trunk. And the three thousand orens. Yes, yes, don't utter a word. It is I who am an old fool and you the wise witcher. Foltest has been repeating it over and over for the last two days».

After that, Geralt goes to the temple of Melitele, where he is bandaged by both Iloya and Nenneke.
1241, Service to King Foltest.png
1243, The first meeting with Geralt.png

Fact: Triss was still a child at that time, and what is shown on one of the events from the life of this character is a mistake.

ITEM 4: Do not dock with the dates in the first part of the game «The Witcher». The introductory video of the game says that the action takes place in 1270 according to the chronology of the saga, 5 years after the end of the Great War. In fact, the Great War ended in 1268. Also, the game REPEATEDLY says that 5 years have passed since Geralt's death. This is said by Zoltan, Jaskier, Shani and other characters. How can 5 years pass when Geralt died on September 25, 1268? A developer error? There are no complaints about the event from the life of Triss Merigold. Just a question for the first part of the game.
1270, The Beginning of a New Era - Care.png

ITEM 5: Crooked pose in the guise of Triss Merigold, in «Gwent». I think there is nothing worth explaining here, since everything is perfectly visible in the screenshot (with a little humor). This pose needs to be corrected, as I have seen a lot of complaints from other fans and players. P.S: I took a screenshot from one of the people on the forum, I think he will not mind.
The crooked pose of Triss.png

P.S: I've read books, also played all parts of games repeatedly, so I know what I'm talking about. Question. Do developers even read the forum? And how to contact them? I apologize for my English. I'm just Russian.
Witcher chronology website: *Click*. (Used by Poland, Russia and the Czech).
arabesko_witcher.png
Request: 1) Change Triss's date of birth from 1221 to 1235, as it would be more logical, based on her naive and gentle nature, as well as Triss's relationship with Ciri, because Triss quickly found a common language with Ciri. 2) Answer the question, did Triss study at Arethusa? Can she have children? 3) Explain why Geralt's first meeting with Triss takes place in Foltest's castle, and not in Kaer Morhen. 4) Explain the discrepancy with the dates. 5) Change the stance of Triss Merigold in the card game «GWENT».

Last edited:
Thread moved to Gwent, since much of this is related to the recent Triss Journey.
Do developers even read the forum? And how to contact them?
Yes, the developers indeed read the Forums, although they rarely respond publicly. Posting here counts as contacting them.

Thank you for your impressive interest in the character.

I also want to add to the point about the training of Triss Merigold (POINT 2) that she spent her childhood with Vesemir. Vesemir himself treated the red-haired sorceress as his granddaughter.

I quote a moment from the book «Blood of the Elves»:

«– Triss, my child!

– Vesemir!

Vesemir was really very old. Who knows, he could be even older than Kaer Morhen. But he walked towards her with a brisk, energetic and sprightly step; his grip was vigorous and his hands strong.

– I am happy to see you again, Grandfather. Give me a kiss. No, not on the hand, little sorceress. You can kiss my hand when I’m resting on my bier. Which will, no doubt, be soon. Oh, Triss, it is a good thing you have come… Who can cure me if not you?

– Cure, you? Of what? Of behaving like a child, surely! Take your hand from my backside, old man, or I’ll set fire to that grey beard of yours!

– Forgive me. I keep forgetting you are grown up, and I can no longer put you on my knee and pat you. As to my health… Oh, Triss, old age is no joke. My bones ache so I want to howl. Will you help an old man, child?»

Thanks to this dialogue, we can say with confidence that Triss Merigold DID NOT STUDY at Aretuza! This means that he can have children. In Aretuza, as a rule, children DID NOT HAVE free time, and it was forbidden to leave Aretuza! Then how did Triss Merigold spend her childhood with Vesemir if she studied in Aretuza? That's right, that there is no way! This is the strongest fact that proves that she DID NOT STUDY at Aretuza.
Triss as a child.jpg

arabesko_witcher.png
Additional information about the cost of studying in Aretuza from the book «The Time of Contempt»:

«– What are the annual fees for the school at Aretuza?

Ciri listened carefully.

– One thousand two hundred Novigrad crowns, – said Giancardi. – And then you have to add the matriculation fee; around two hundred for a new novice.

– It’s bloody gone up.

– Everything has. They don’t skimp on novices though; they live like queens at Aretuza. And half the city lives off them: tailors, shoemakers, confectioners, suppliers...

– I know. Pay two thousand into the school’s account. Anonymously. With a note that it’s the registration fee and payment of the annual fees for one novice».

arabesko_witcher.png
«Let the girl have a look at the wonders of the ancient city of Gors Velen, – added Giancardi, smiling broadly. – She deserves a little freedom before Aretuza. And we’ll chat about certain issues of a... hmm... personal nature. No, I’m not suggesting the girl goes alone, even though it’s a safe city. I’ll assign her a companion and guardian. One of my younger clerks...».

Last edited:
Addendum to ITEM 2:

In the book «Baptism by Fire», the Lodge discussed who could be married to Prince Tancred of Kovir.
Triss Merigold and Keira Metz were on the list of contenders, as they were the youngest enchantresses. But the choice fell to Ciri. If you think about it, then instead of Cirilla, Triss/Keira could be in her place. The dialogue discussed those sorceresses who could have children. So Triss and Keira could have had them, but the Lodge refused this idea.

I quote the dialogue of the sorceresses:

«Have mercy, Philippa, Sabrina Glevissig sighed. No king would ever wed a sorcereress. No society would accept a sorceress on the throne. An ancient custom stands in the way. A foolish one, perhaps, but it is there nevertheless.

There also exist, Margarita Laux-Antille added, obstacles of what I would call a technical nature. The sorceress who joined the House of Kovir would have to comply with a large number of conditions, both from our point of view and that of the House of Kovir. Those conditions are mutually exclusive, they contradict each other in obvious ways. Don’t you see that, Philippa? For us this person ought to be schooled in magic, utterly dedicated to magic, comprehending her role and capable of playing it deftly, imperceptibly and without arousing suspicion. Without direction or prompt, without any grey eminences standing in the shadows, against whom rebels always first direct their anger in a revolution. And Kovir itself, without any apparent pressure from us, must also choose her as the wife of the heir to the throne.

That is obvious.

So who do you think Kovir would select, given a free choice? A girl from a royal family, whose royal blood flows back many generations. A very young woman, suitable for a young prince. A girl who is fertile, because this is about a dynasty. Such prerequisites rule you out, Philippa. Rule me out, rule out Keira and Triss even, the youngest among us. They also rule out all the novices at my school, who are anyhow of little interest to us; they are but buds, the colour of whose petals are still unknown. It’s unthinkable that any of them could occupy the twelfth, empty seat at this table. In other words, were Kovir to be afflicted with insanity and willing to marry their prince to a sorceress, we couldn’t find a suitable woman. Who, then, is to be this Queen of the North?

A girl from a royal family, Philippa calmly replied, In whose veins flows royal blood, the blood of several great dynasties. Very young and capable of producing offspring. A girl with exceptional magical and prophetic abilities, a carrier of the Elder Blood as the prophecies have heralded. A girl who will play her role with great aplomb without direction, prompt, sycophants or grey eminences, because that is what her destiny demands. A girl, whose true abilities are and will be known only to us: Cirilla, daughter of Princess Pavetta of Cintra, the granddaughter of the Queen Calanthe called the Lioness of Cintra. The Elder Blood, the Icy Flame of the North, the Destroyer and Restorer, whose coming was prophesied centuries ago. Ciri of Cintra, the Queen of the North. And her blood, from which will be born the Queen of the World».

The main task of the Lodge was to create a state from Kovir that would support magic, and for this you need to marry Prince Kovir to one of the sorceresses. The marriage should be fertile, and Triss and Keira did not fit, because they found a better candidate.

P.S: The Sorceress's Lodge has always considered Triss Merigold an outcast. Philippa Eilhart, Sheala de Tanserville and Fringilla Vigo were always mocking Triss. At the end of the book «Lady of the Lake», during the pogrom in Rivia, Triss overcame her fear for Geralt, refused the Lodge and voted for Ciri to stay with Yennefer from Vengerberg.
Lodge of Sorcerress.jpg

You are making far too many assumptions, some of which are demonstrably incorrect.

Assumption: Sorceresses are infertile because they are deliberately sterilized at Aretuza. If Triss did not study at Aretuza, then she must be fertile.
Fact: The very text you quote to prove this tells us otherwise:

Most of us wizards lose the ability to procreate due to somatic changes and dysfunction of the pituitary gland. Some wizards – usually women – attune to magic while still maintaining efficiency of the gonads.

It is the magic itself that renders most wizards and sorceresses infertile. It is a major plot point in the story of Geralt's birth that Visenna assumed she could not get pregnant. I would further add that nothing in the text of the novel states that Tissaia's proposal was ever implemented, but if it was implemented, it would surely not be just at Aretuza but all Wizarding Schools founded by the Brotherhood--of which there are several mentioned, not just the two famous ones. Oxenfurt is not one of them, btw.

Assumption: Triss couldn't have known Vesemir if she had studied at Aretuza.
Fact: The character of Triss, particularly her backstory, is simply not developed enough within the novels to say anything for certain on this matter. We do not know when or how she met Vesemir, or if what he refers to in an attempt to excuse his lecherous groping ever even happened at all. What we do know is...

Assumption: Aretuza was a "school" not an "academy"
Fact: Vilgefortz calls it "an academy for girls" when he is showing Geralt through the Gallery of Glory:

Look at the next – and more effective – painting. Here you also see Klara Larissa opening the academy for girls here, in the building where we now stand. And those are portraits of renowned Aretuza graduates.
While I cannot speak for Polish, in common English usage there is no real difference between the two words. An academy is a school is an academy. The Academy does often refer to Oxenfurt, but unfortunately, the only occurrence of academy without the capital A in Blood of Elves is in Triss's recollection of her youth.

As far as her erotic life was concerned, Triss Merigold had the right to consider herself a typical enchantress. It had began with the sour taste of forbidden fruit, made all the more exciting by the strict rules of the academy and the prohibitions of the mistress under whom she practised. Then came her independence, freedom and a crazy promiscuity which ended, as it usually does, in bitterness, disillusionment and resignation.

The brief glimpse we had into the daily lives of Oxenfurt students should banish any remaining thought that she studied magic there (especially since they don't teach magic). But that's a perfect description of studying under Tissaia de Vries. I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that she did study at Aretuza just like Yennefer who she later befriended. But that is immaterial to the question of her fertility.

Assumption: Triss is fertile because...?
Fact: The text you quote in your last lengthy post comes just shy of explicitly stating Triss (and Keira) are infertile and therefore unsuitable candidates.

A girl from a royal family, whose royal blood flows back many generations. A very young woman, suitable for a young prince. A girl who is fertile, because this is about a dynasty. Such prerequisites rule you out, Philippa. Rule me out, rule out Keira and Triss even, the youngest among us.
There are various ways to read this of course, but one of them is certainly not that it proves Triss is fertile. At best it casts strong doubt on the idea.

Besides which there is a further unfortunate fact, one which also renders Francesca unsuitable for the same reason.

Assumption: "half a century" means "50 years"
Fact: "Half a century" is a vague estimation of time. Probably overestimation given in context she is trying to excuse herself from the sins of other (likely still living) sorcerers. It could easily be anywhere from about 40 up to 60 years earlier. Maybe even less than 40 if she felt in particular need of self-excusing.

Besides that, the "History" to which you refer is fanfiction. The dates and information therein are not canon. As a result, we have no definite book-canon date for either Triss's birth nor the pogrom that destroyed Kaer Morhen, and even if we did would could not reliably date the one by the other.

Triss's age is thus left indeterminate, but 40+ is a strong possibility, and age would likely have rendered her infertile even had her organs not been atrophied by magic.

Last edited:
You are making far too many assumptions, some of which are demonstrably incorrect.

Assumption: Sorceresses are infertile because they are deliberately sterilized at Aretuza. If Triss did not study at Aretuza, then she must be fertile.
Fact: The very text you quote to prove this tells us otherwise:

Most of us wizards lose the ability to procreate due to somatic changes and dysfunction of the pituitary gland. Some wizards – usually women – attune to magic while still maintaining efficiency of the gonads.

It is the magic itself that renders most wizards and sorceresses infertile. It is a major plot point in the story of Geralt's birth that Visenna assumed she could not get pregnant. I would further add that nothing in the text of the novel states that Tissaia's proposal was ever implemented, but if it was implemented, it would surely not be just at Aretuza but all Wizarding Schools founded by the Brotherhood--of which there are several mentioned, not just the two famous ones. Oxenfurt is not one of them, btw.

Assumption: Triss couldn't have known Vesemir if she had studied at Aretuza.
Fact: The character of Triss, particularly her backstory, is simply not developed enough within the novels to say anything for certain on this matter. We do not know when or how she met Vesemir, or if what he refers to in an attempt to excuse his lecherous groping ever even happened at all. What we do know is...

Assumption: Aretuza was a "school" not an "academy"
Fact: Vilgefortz calls it "an academy for girls" when he is showing Geralt through the Gallery of Glory:

Look at the next – and more effective – painting. Here you also see Klara Larissa opening the academy for girls here, in the building where we now stand. And those are portraits of renowned Aretuza graduates.
While I cannot speak for Polish, in common English usage there is no real difference between the two words. An academy is a school is an academy. The Academy does often refer to Oxenfurt, but unfortunately, the only occurrence of academy without the capital A in Blood of Elves is in Triss's recollection of her youth.

As far as her erotic life was concerned, Triss Merigold had the right to consider herself a typical enchantress. It had began with the sour taste of forbidden fruit, made all the more exciting by the strict rules of the academy and the prohibitions of the mistress under whom she practised. Then came her independence, freedom and a crazy promiscuity which ended, as it usually does, in bitterness, disillusionment and resignation.

The brief glimpse we had into the daily lives of Oxenfurt students should banish any remaining thought that she studied magic there (especially since they don't teach magic). But that's a perfect description of studying under Tissaia de Vries. I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that she did study at Aretuza just like Yennefer who she later befriended. But that is immaterial to the question of her fertility.

Assumption: Triss is fertile because...?
Fact: The text you quote in your last lengthy post comes just shy of explicitly stating Triss (and Keira) are infertile and therefore unsuitable candidates.

A girl from a royal family, whose royal blood flows back many generations. A very young woman, suitable for a young prince. A girl who is fertile, because this is about a dynasty. Such prerequisites rule you out, Philippa. Rule me out, rule out Keira and Triss even, the youngest among us.
There are various ways to read this of course, but one of them is certainly not that it proves Triss is fertile. At best it casts strong doubt on the idea.

Besides which there is a further unfortunate fact, one which also renders Francesca unsuitable for the same reason.

Assumption: "half a century" means "50 years"
Fact: "Half a century" is a vague estimation of time. Probably overestimation given in context she is trying to excuse herself from the sins of other (likely still living) sorcerers. It could easily be anywhere from about 40 up to 60 years earlier. Maybe even less than 40 if she felt in particular need of self-excusing.

Besides that, the "History" to which you refer is fanfiction. The dates and information therein are not canon. As a result, we have no definite book-canon date for either Triss's birth nor the pogrom that destroyed Kaer Morhen, and even if we did would could not reliably date the one by the other.

Triss's age is thus left indeterminate, but 40+ is a strong possibility, and age would likely have rendered her infertile even had her organs not been atrophied by magic.
Partly agree. The Russian translation of the book differs from the original and creates confusion.
All assumptions in the topic - theory.
Triss is a minor character in the book and we don't know much about it. We do not know the acquaintance with grandfather Vesemir.
It is only known that Triss is one of the sorceresses who knows the way to Kaer Morhen and whom Vesemir treats like a granddaughter.

Top Bottom