Netflix's The Witcher - Season 2

+
Now that I think about it, there was a very fun movie I watched as a kid called Dragonheart and, ironically enough, it offers a much better Witcher experience than Witcher netflix show.
Lets see:
- A long-haired disheartened, but noble wandering knight on a quest of hunting a monster? Check.
- Bossy girl as a love interest? Check.
- A subversion of a classic fairy tale narrative with "human" turning out to be cruel, violent and evil, while "the monster" turns out to be kind, heroic and self-sacrificing? Check.
- Educated yet funny comedic side-kick? Check.
- Lots of humor mixed with tragedy? Check.
- A moral lesson (you are defined not by who you are, but by what you do)? Check.
It was a really good movie. And had a much better dragon.
It's the first film I ever saw as a kid. It even has a sort of Joffrey Baratheon type of king.

And yeah, dragon design was miles better. In fact, Netflix dragon looks like a featherless chicken :coolstory:

And yeah, dragon design was miles better. In fact, Netflix dragon looks like a featherless chicken :coolstory:
Oh yeah, the monsters in the show not only look poorly rendered, they also look really uninspired. Featherless chicken, spider-looking something and a ton of humanoid looking weirdoes. I would've forgiven the CGI quality, but lack of uniqueness and vision - that I cannot forgive.

Oh yeah, the monsters in the show not only look poorly rendered, they also look really uninspired. Featherless chicken, spider-looking something and a ton of humanoid looking weirdoes. I would've forgiven the CGI quality, but lack of uniqueness and vision - that I cannot forgive.
They could have just used the designs of the game, or be inspired by them. They had the aesthetics already designed thanks to the games.

But no, let's do a creature design that would give the Polish show a run for its money, let's put curtains on the mages and call them robes, let's give the Nilfgaardians armor that makes them look like anthropomorphic raisins...
...let's make the probation officer from Misfits fucking King of Temeria :coolstory:

They could have just used the designs of the game, or be inspired by them. They had the aesthetics already designed thanks to the games.

But no, let's do a creature design that would give the Polish show a run for its money, let's put curtains on the mages and call them robes, let's give the Nilfgaardians armor that makes them look like anthropomorphic raisins...
I was thinking about it some time. I saw some people saying they didn't want copyright issues, but I don't buy it. CDPR would've been more than happy to sell the designs, if necessary - and it certainly not the question of price on the Netflix side, considering that cosplayers do a much better job with barely any money. Developers get publicity, Netflix gets designs - normies would be happy, fans would be very happy, so why not?
I've reached the conclusion that it is simply ego. I don't know, on whos part exactly, but someone in the production team think themselves to be an underappreciated artist, who definitely can do better than an award winning team, that made show possible in the first place.
...let's make the probation officer from Misfits fucking King of Temeria :coolstory:
Thanks for reminding about a much better show. And the guy would've been a pretty good Dijkstra, even though show's Dijkstra is one of the very, very sparse light spots in this "adaptation".

Last edited:
I just didn't like how some characters were altered to appease diversity
Post automatically merged:

Otherwise I really enjoy the show

I just didn't like how some characters were altered to appease diversity

Otherwise I really enjoy the show
I kinda like Vilgefortz and Istredd tho. But I guess sorcerers can be from anywhere so in that particular case I'd say it's not out of place (the place being a Slavic medieval fantasy)

Last edited:

Guest 4412420

I waited until I've seen enough of S2 to post a comment here. My biggest concern before the show even came out was the lack of slavic elements, and it appears I was correct. From costume design to music, the show is incredibly generic and uninspired and S2 did nothing to improve on that. At least Nilfgaard armor looks better, so there's that.

Adaptations shouldn't be 1:1 copies, but new additions should at least make sense and not damage the original story. It's a little frustrating how the showrunner keeps harping about staying faithful to the source material when they're butchering everything left and right. How do they expect to salvage Ciri's and Yennefer's relationship and make it believable after what Yennefer did?

If we follow that line of thinking, we should expect Geralt eating a pizza. Or has the recipe of good Italian food gone lost in the conjunction of the spheres? We shouldn't expect a Temerian castle, but pagodas. Skellige's warrior should paddle in canoes and so on.

:shrug:

Let's face it: the setting of the books is European Medieval-like.

I like Star Trek portraying "infinite diversity in infinite combinations", it fits the lore and the story. In the Witcher's books diversity is also important, but as a metaphor. I wish the show-runner would have dealt with the topic in a more subtle way.

The current score on Rotten Tomatoes is still reasonable for Season 2:
critics 94 %
viewers 61 %

For comparison Season 1 is currently:
critics 68%
viewers 91%
I personally find more easy to believe cultural aspects being lost over time than people dropped around in distinct region and perfectly ordered by color when the event that brought them in the first place is supposed to be cataclysmic. But you do you. My point is I don't like for exemple what they are doing with the LOTR amazon stuff because I don't see how they will justify this in terms of Lore. The Witcher has a lore excuse that can justify this kind of "artistic choices". Now you like it or not it's personal. Personally I don't like it very much either but this not necessarily non sensical in the Witcher universe due to the conjunction of spheres as opposed to the Lotr. As I said The Witcher season 2 is terrible and frankly the character color is not really an issue imo.

It looked like a fake new, but it's true: Henry Cavill has stepped down as Geralt in the show, he leaves after S3 to be replaced by Liam Hemsworth. Not my choice of actor for Geralt, I don't get why they keep casting pretty boys that look nothing like the character's description :think:

Maybe Cavill finally realized what a s**t show it was all the way from the start.
If that's the case, the man has my every respect :howdy:. I also read that the showrunner and the team had a strong distaste for the novels and videogames, so the theory that they want to sabotage the franchise is not so far from the truth at all. Cavill strikes me as someone who has just being told what to do, but doesn't exactly hate the The Witcher. Hemsworth is an even more odd choice of actor than Cavill (and I like both actors, just not as Geralt).

Last edited:
As for me, both actors are not suitable for the role of Geralt

This show's quality is an insult to the books and games. It's almost as if it was made by someone who wants to sabotage The Witcher
God what have they done to my favorite short stories :cry:

the series is terrible, the actors too, the plots are distorted at their own expense

unfortunately, I first watched the series, and only then read the book, and what is terrible, the characters from the series were fixed in my head, which spoiled the impression. only after reading you realize how bad the series is, and the most offensive thing is that Sapkowski doesn’t care what they do with his universe :(

Last edited:
As for me, both actors are not suitable for the role of Geralt

God what have they done to my favorite short stories :cry:

the series is terrible, the actors too, the plots are distorted at their own expense

unfortunately, I first watched the series, and only then read the book, and what is terrible, the characters from the series were fixed in my head, which spoiled the impression. only after reading you realize how bad the series is, and the most offensive thing is that Sapkowski doesn’t care what they do with his universe :(

Well according to Beau DeMayo and what he said about the writing team this is now a concrete possibility lol.
I wish it got cancelled so someone who actually wants to do justice to the books and games picked it up, if it was possible. Don't care if it has another title ("The Saga of Geralt of Rivia", maybe?). The Witcher is the best medieval fantasy work next to ASOIAF, it's just so heartbreaking to see it being done dirty like this by people who think of it as some kind of joke. These books deserve a show of the same quality as GOT/HOTD.

Last edited:
The aesthetics are indeed horrid (looks like Geralt is wearing the carnival costume version of the Kaer Morhen armor, he's clearly wearing a wig and DON'T GET ME STARTED ON THE FUCKING CONTACT LENSES IN THIS SHOW :giveup:). Many of the actors chosen look nothing like their game AND book counterparts (looking at you Triss and Yen). The show is just too colorful when the World of The Witcher is anything but. Hell, the show is even unintentionally campy lol. And after watching The Tudors, now I'm convinced Henry Cavill would've actually made a great Geralt if he acted like his character in that show
Interestingly, GOT refrained from using violet contact lenses for the Targaryen characters precisely because "actors act through their eyes", which is absolutely true (and I bet the ones they were gonna use were of higher quality). This show is a shining example of how bad eye contacts ruin the acting, which is already mediocre to put it mildly. They should've done the same as GOT in this show. That is, if they took it seriously because they clearly fucking didn't. The ridiculous eye contacts are a massive hint that the people who make the show consider it to be a joke.

DC9V

Forum veteran
I just finished watching season 1 and 2 in a marathon.

There were some good episodes, as well as some bad ones. I personally liked episode four and eight from season 1, and episode 8 from season 2.

I liked many of the actors, especially Freya Allyn (Ciri), Royce Pierreson (Istredd), Adam Levy (Mäussack), Henry Cavill (Geralt), Joey Batey (Dandelion), Graham McTavish (Dijkstra), Adjoah Andoh (Nenneke), MyAnna Buring (Tissaia), Ronald G. Cook (Villentretenmerth), Eamon Farren (Cahir M. D. aep Dyffryn), Anna-Louise Plowman (Złotolitka).

Last edited:
I just finished watching season 1 and 2 in a marathon.

There were some good episodes, as well as some bad ones. I personally liked episode four and eight from season 1, and episode 8 from season 2.

I liked many of the actors, especially Freya Allyn (Ciri), Royce Pierreson (Istredd), Adam Levy (Mäussack), Henry Cavill (Geralt), Joey Batey (Dandelion), Graham McTavish (Dijkstra), Adjoah Andoh (Nenneke), MyAnna Buring (Tissaia), Ronald G. Cook (Villentretenmerth), Eamon Farren (Cahir M. D. aep Dyffryn), Anna-Louise Plowman (Złotolitka).
All I can say about the actors right now is that Hemsworth is so unlike Geralt that Cavill IS more like Geralt in comparison :coolstory:

Top Bottom