What players think of combat system and different classes of firearms?

+
It's actually not that bad, but frankly worse than most competent FPS I've played. The feedback and sound design of the guns is average, the AI is terrible. The hitboxes are off. The reload animations are jilted. And the zoom-in focus is stilted.

A: The police
B: Trauma team.

Per the Protect and Serve supplement for the table top game they list a police riot shield :

POLICE ISSUE RIOT SHIELD 150eb (180eb w/optlon) Designed with the defense of riot police in mind, the Riot shield is a full-length plastic barrier (SP=15), intended to protect the officer from attack. The center of the shield has a built-in Militech Taser for contact subdual. The most interesting feature of the shield is the optional strobelight built into the face some six inches from the top. When activated, those directly in front of the light must make a REF save to shield their eyes; failure means aBOD save or become stunned for 1d6 combatturns, incapable of any but the most basic actions. The shield's battery has enough power for 10 pulses.

See below (Polygons article on cyberpunk 2077):

View attachment 11274646
A: Police are a bad example. Normal people don't pack around riot shields.
B: What does TT have to do with halo? They don't have regenerating shields.

DC9V

Forum veteran
I think that the combat system in general is great, keeping in mind that it's supposed to run on old gen. As a former console player (my first console was a Sega Mega Drive, then I've owned a Gunpei Yokoi Game Boy, a Nintendo64, a Sega Dreamcast, and a Sony Playstation2), I understand that there has to be some sort of middle ground when it comes to optimising graphics and/or engine threads, otherwise you would be developing two entirely different games, which obviously is not efficient. However, I think I'm an enthusiast, because I always want to squeeze the most performance out of my hardware possible. (In the past, I've uploaded a guide for optimized settings for The Witcher2, installed on a 2011 MacBook Pro, without Bootcamp.) I'm currently playing on a much more powerful system, and since patch 1.21, I can say that I don't have any issues with latencies anymore. However, I still believe that there's quite a lot of headroom for modern hardware...
Post automatically merged:

BTW I put PAX on all of my weapons if possible, 'cause I'm a pacifist. :coolstory:

I think that the combat system in general is great, keeping in mind that it's supposed to run on old gen. As a former console player (my first console was a Sega Mega Drive, then I've owned a Gunpei Yokoi Game Boy, a Nintendo64, a Sega Dreamcast, and a Sony Playstation2), I understand that there has to be some sort of middle ground when it comes to optimising graphics and/or engine threads, otherwise you would be developing two entirely different games, which obviously is not efficient. However, I think I'm an enthusiast, because I always want to squeeze the most performance out of my hardware possible. (In the past, I've uploaded a guide for optimized settings for The Witcher2, installed on a 2011 MacBook Pro, without Bootcamp.) I'm currently playing on a much more powerful system, and since patch 1.21, I can say that I don't have any issues with latencies anymore. However, I still believe that there's quite a lot of headroom for modern hardware...
Post automatically merged:

BTW I put PAX on all of my weapons if possible, 'cause I'm a pacifist. :coolstory:
You should just put target analysis in your optics instead of wasting mod slots on your guns.

You should just put target analysis in your optics instead of wasting mod slots on your guns.
Sometimes, target analysis could be annoying :
- Headshots do not deal additional damage.
- Smart Weapons primarily target limbs

So you can "loose" all headshot bonus. like a "big" x6 on an overture... or the +50% from trajectory analysis (PAX don't affect headshot bonus)
And all smart weapons could become very unefficient (hard to target limbs when enemies are behind cover).
And it affect all your weapons, so you can't have lethal and non-lethal weapons at the same times.

So I always prefer Pax to target analysis ;)

Sometimes, target analysis could be annoying :
- Headshots do not deal additional damage.
- Smart Weapons primarily target limbs

So you can "loose" all headshot bonus. like a "big" x6 on an overture... or the +50% from trajectory analysis (PAX don't affect headshot bonus)
And all smart weapons could become very unefficient (hard to target limbs when enemies are behind cover).
And it affect all your weapons, so you can't have lethal and non-lethal weapons at the same times.

So I always prefer Pax to target analysis ;)
Yeah, but if they're a pacifist, which begs the question why even play these kinds of games, then the headshot bonus and all that won't matter.

Yeah, but if they're a pacifist, which begs the question why even play these kinds of games, then the headshot bonus and all that won't matter.
It matter if you want a "stealth silenced" overture for example ;)
Silencer + x6 headshot bonus + 50% headshot bonus + PAX, it's way better than no bonus at all.
It make difference betweem "stealth" and "open combat" :)

A: Police are a bad example. Normal people don't pack around riot shields.
B: What does TT have to do with halo? They don't have regenerating shields.

LOL... normal people do not carry around rocket launchers and chain guns:

1642533419352.png

You asked who had shields, I answered. Gezzeeeusss, all I said was I wish they had a shield players could use. If you do not like them do not use them. Same reason I never use the harley quinn ridiculously large hammers in all the games.

": What does TT have to do with halo? They don't have regenerating shields." I am not sure what you are talking about. TT have shields as well in the Cyberpunk games. :shrug:

Why you like to argue?

Stealth is mainly unnecessary, so why waste your time?
hum... wait, interesting question...
It could be simply for fun. It's main reason that I play video games generally :)
Why walking/drive when you can use TP point ?
Why use blades or use QHs when a shotgun or grenades does the job quickly ?
it's if I do something I don't like that my time is wasted, otherwise not it's not :)

"WHAT PLAYERS THINK OF COMBAT SYSTEM AND DIFFERENT CLASSES OF FIREARMS?"

Think the battle system is good enough, but would wish the delay between a target getting hit, and its reaction thereof, to be removed entirely.

Also find that civilian NPCs in "get down" pose, should come out of "get down" pose, and carry on normally, when combat state ends.

Would find it interesting if sword wielders could deflect bullets, and even slice your firearm in two on "Very hard" difficulty.
(Wushu Dolls don't know duel wield skills!?)

Love the firing sound of the Grad. Get a kick outta that every time.

Find, the effective range of shotguns needs to be reconsidered. I mean, if V gets fired upon by a shotgun wielder from over 60m away, and actually being hit while behind full cover..., yeah that, to my accounts serves a reevaluation.

The rate of fire of the HMG could also be raised, although, more times then not, when the game loosens up, it does fire a hell of a lot faster. Have to monitor it some more to see exactly what that depends of.

"WHAT PLAYERS THINK OF COMBAT SYSTEM AND DIFFERENT CLASSES OF FIREARMS?"

Think the battle system is good enough, but would wish the delay between a target getting hit, and its reaction thereof, to be removed entirely.

Also find that civilian NPCs in "get down" pose, should come out of "get down" pose, and carry on normally, when combat state ends.

Would find it interesting if sword wielders could deflect bullets, and even slice your firearm in two on "Very hard" difficulty.

Love the firing sound of the Grad. Get a kick outta that every time.

Find, the effective range of shotguns needs to be reconsidered. I mean, if V gets fired upon by a shotgun wielder from over 60m away, and actually being hit while behind full cover..., yeah that, to my accounts serves a reevaluation.

The rate of fire of the HMG could also be raised, although, more times then not, when the game loosens up, it does fire a hell of a lot faster. Have to monitor it some more to see exactly what that depends of.
If you're getting hit behind cover, they're most likely using a smart weapon. A shotgun can still hit long distance, it's just far less lethal because the shot has had so much time to spread out.

For me I would only like this if it only worked one bullet per 0.5 second (or so). Thus a revolver may get all the rounds deflected but not all from a shotgun or chain gun.

Like this (still getting shot by some rounds):

But NOT like this (like a magic force field ):

Last edited:
For me I would only like this if it only worked one bullet per .5 second (or so). Thus a revolver may get all the rounds deflected but not all from a shotgun or chain gun.

Like this (still getting shot by some rounds):

But NOT like this (like a magic force field ):
The deadpool one seem better (love it^^)

The only thing I can say in this post is that I want more cyberkatana duels.

Last edited:
Personally I feel the entire firearms setup is flawed from the start. All weapons should have had a base damage value that never changes throughout the game. Various add-ons to increase damage but limited. A run of the mill 9mm is never going to have the stopping power of a 50cal nitro express. There should of been a vastly larger selection of bullet types, from your basic lead slug to programmable uranium tipped heat seeking hollow point that only fit specific weapons, not every pistol using the same ammunition and magically becoming guided just because the weapon is.

Just because my character is level 50 shouldn't make a crappy bullet hit any harder than when they were level 1.
That's not feature we got but I must admit I have thought this a lot. Not going to happen as they chose to go with inflation based character progression (I believe level scaling is correct term) and it's hugely popular since I think game the Borderlands. I'm on Xbox One X but for PC someone should really try to make this kind of mod.
It's actually not that bad, but frankly worse than most competent FPS I've played. The feedback and sound design of the guns is average, the AI is terrible. The hitboxes are off. The reload animations are jilted. And the zoom-in focus is stilted.
I can't comment about first person shooters, I played through new Wolfenstein games about a year ago and on 2020 I tried game called the Prey but gave up on that after few hours. Just wasn't for me.

We have mandatory military service where I live and quite a few things come from there and on other occasions, handguns and various shotguns from shooting ranges. For handguns though I never tried target practice but with 9 mm. Then the most exotic shotgun I have tried on range was I think German made assault shotgun, mainly for SWAT purposes. Weirdest thing with that was that it was easier to control the recoil when shooting from the hip LOL but makes sense as for CQC situations and in game assault shotgun M2038 Tactician actually is surprisingly similar but can get almost ridiculously accurate with character builds with very high Body.

There's old topic I don't want to dig up as search sort of... isn't that great but say assault rifles, there are bit different scenarios for different weapons. Copperhead is like AK-47 of CP2077 universe AKA multitool, while HJSH-18 Masamune with it's burst fire is intuitive to use in retreat and bottleneck situations and of course low Reflexes character (every character at the start of game).

Stealth is mainly unnecessary, so why waste your time?
Creators of game has decided that these features are available to players. Half of the Cool skill tree is named Stealth.

What comes to non-lethal approach, there are various reasons that might be related to roleplaying, how to experience the story and V as character and different personal values of individual players that might be based on religion, ideology or such. Again game has features that enable that sort of gaming experience because CDPR knows their market.

It's utterly unproductive to ask player why they use features intended and implemented by CDPR also not very cool to ask about topics that may be related to individual players personal values and on top of that, this is meta that is utterly off-topic.
One of the most used shotguns by enemy NPC's is IIRC DB-2 Satara, which is a Tech shotgun.

You asked who had shields, I answered. Gezzeeeusss, all I said was I wish they had a shield players could use. If you do not like them do not use them. Same reason I never use the harley quinn ridiculously large hammers in all the games.
My educated guess to shields, even though you mentioned them being a feature in tabletop game, is Tech weapons in CP2077. My train of thoughts is that if player and NPC's had access to shields, there were no real reason for players but to use Tech weapons.

What do you players think about SMG's in game in general? What's their spot?

How do players feel about combat and weapon / weapon classes (pistols, shotguns, submachine guns, rifles, etc.)?

I think guns in general work okay in CP2077. They fulfill their function and different weapons work decently differently. Biggest issue with guns is the stupid level-based system which makes for stupid unrealistic combat when a civilian without any cyber gets a volley to the head and is okay with it.. But levels f up everything equally.

Guns however remind me of the weapon room in V's apartment, where I can't fill the slots on the wall unless I invest heavily into tech, so I could craft said weapons. Either that or its just bugged like everything else. I would prefer to fill said wall with weapons of my OWN choosing.

I think guns in general work okay in CP2077. They fulfill their function and different weapons work decently differently. Biggest issue with guns is the stupid level-based system which makes for stupid unrealistic combat when a civilian without any cyber gets a volley to the head and is okay with it.. But levels f up everything equally.

Guns however remind me of the weapon room in V's apartment, where I can't fill the slots on the wall unless I invest heavily into tech, so I could craft said weapons. Either that or its just bugged like everything else. I would prefer to fill said wall with weapons of my OWN choosing.

Filling those walls is something I'm never going to do. I kinda tried on second playthrough but this whole crafting and collecting stuff just isn't for me. System in general isn't without it's perks but also issues. There's been very good debate, though it got bit tired going forth and back to find new angles in other topic -> Controversial opinion: You shouldn't pick things up Recommend to check that one out if you haven't already.

What's your usage scenario for SMG's and do you think SMG's could benefit from silencers and if stealth mechanics should support silenced weapons better?

i find the combat systems too be pretty boring tbh, it feels like any shooter. Its not bad exactly just very vanilla. Combining hacking and gunplay makes it a bit more fun but its still not RPGish enough for me.

I can play games with a fairly bad story or lackluster enviroments (example ME:andromeda:372h) if the gameplay is good but i grew very bored with the gameplay in this game pretty fast. The weapons is quite normal for a dystopian future and some of them feels like they lack punch. Shooting trough walls was fun for a short time before it became way too OP and after level 20 something you just become a god pretty much how ever you specc. I find that it becomes the same game over and over again no matter what you do.

Melee combat becomes a rush and smash, no real dynamic combat or combos or anything. Slashing away untill stuff dies isent that fun for me. Havent tested out the knife throwing build but i doubt it will be different then a sneaky pistol build (exept crafting alot of knifes).

My train of thoughts is that if player and NPC's had access to shields, there were no real reason for players but to use Tech weapons.

Again, as I said, that is because most game DEV do not know how to properly utilize shields in games. So yes I can see why you think this. One of the features of using a shield most games do not apply is the lack of perception while blocking. If someone is hiding behind a shield they are much easier to maneuver around to hit them in the back. But you never see this in games. I know this can be done in games, as I have done this in the combat mods I have made for games like Oblivion and Skyrim based on my 40 years of real life medieval martial arts experience.

Last edited:
Top Bottom