Removing Traps in TW3 was a mistake

+
I LOVE the Alchemy playstyle, it's so unique IMO. But it was just not a good idea to take away Witcher traps from the game, it added more complexity and interesting options to combat. Heck I think I even liked the gameplay in TW2 more...

IMHO an interesting mechanic would've been the ability to manually detonate set traps with a crossbow shot

I never used traps in TW2. I try to avoid spending too much time navigating menus. Game mechanics such as alchemy, traps, crafting often all take copious amounts of time in bland menus, when I'd rather be spending more time out in the world exploring, talking to interesting characters, and getting caught up in twisted plots.

If there were a more streamlined approach to using traps (such as how potions automatically refill on rest in TW3) and they were readily available, easy to place in mere seconds, then, I'd be more interesting. One of the pitfalls of TW2 for me was how dependent the player had to be on Traps, Bombs, and Alchemy. Because if you only use a sword, then the first fight with fat balding drunk vagrant is more deadly than the Krayan. One of them armed only with a stick and a wooden barrel top as a makeshift shield could eat the legendary Geralt's lunch in two swings unless you perform 19 combat rolls and take pop shots between each of your 19 attacks.

That's not a fun combat system, and being forced to stun someone with Aard, bombs, or traps to one-shot them is the only alternative. I think TW3 has traps in the form of unique quest objectives for special monsters. That's good enough for me.

I never used traps in TW2. I try to avoid spending too much time navigating menus. Game mechanics such as alchemy, traps, crafting often all take copious amounts of time in bland menus, when I'd rather be spending more time out in the world exploring, talking to interesting characters, and getting caught up in twisted plots.

If there were a more streamlined approach to using traps (such as how potions automatically refill on rest in TW3) and they were readily available, easy to place in mere seconds, then, I'd be more interesting. One of the pitfalls of TW2 for me was how dependent the player had to be on Traps, Bombs, and Alchemy. Because if you only use a sword, then the first fight with fat balding drunk vagrant is more deadly than the Krayan. One of them armed only with a stick and a wooden barrel top as a makeshift shield could eat the legendary Geralt's lunch in two swings unless you perform 19 combat rolls and take pop shots between each of your 19 attacks.

That's not a fun combat system, and being forced to stun someone with Aard, bombs, or traps to one-shot them is the only alternative. I think TW3 has traps in the form of unique quest objectives for special monsters. That's good enough for me.
I agree with the fact that the system should have been streamlined. It was such a pain in the ass having to go to a smith whenever u needed to make traps (pretty sure a Witcher would know how to make them himself)

I played Witcher 2 i think around three times and used traps once, against Endrega Queen. Other than that, I've found no use for them.
The only thing W3 could've really used from W2 is the way Irden works, it's the sign they kinda messed up. Other than that, I'm infinitely grateful that they ditched or reworked most of the mechanics from W2.
What a horrendous game to play it was.

I played Witcher 2 i think around three times and used traps once, against Endrega Queen. Other than that, I've found no use for them.
The only thing W3 could've really used from W2 is the way Irden works, it's the sign they kinda messed up. Other than that, I'm infinitely grateful that they ditched or reworked most of the mechanics from W2.
What a horrendous game to play it was.
The unresponsive controls and not being able to jump was truly atrocious, true. But I do miss all the alchemy options, if they'd streamline the trap system I think they would make it work and be more enjoyable to use.

On the other hand, I prefer TW3 bombs: you throw one and all the enemies explode in a cloud of gore and body parts (this game, unlike TW2, got the combat gore part right)... that game can sorta turn you into a pyromaniac Witcher :coolstory:

The unresponsive controls and not being able to jump was truly atrocious, true. But I do miss all the alchemy options, if they'd streamline the trap system I think they would make it work and be more enjoyable to use.

On the other hand, I prefer TW3 bombs: you throw one and all the enemies explode in a cloud of gore and body parts (this game, unlike TW2, got the combat gore part right)... that game can sorta turn you into a pyromaniac Witcher :coolstory:
Not only that - hitboxes were scuffed, no strafing, finishers as cutscenes. Yeah, pretty bad overall.
But yeah, in W3 fully upgraded bombs can do wonders, up to 20 people in one go on Death March NG+, just delicious.

Not only that - hitboxes were scuffed, no strafing, finishers as cutscenes. Yeah, pretty bad overall.
But yeah, in W3 fully upgraded bombs can do wonders, up to 20 people in one go on Death March NG+, just delicious.
I did enjoy the TW2 exploit that allowed u to have +100 bombs/traps (and potions/oils), you could end up being more of a grenadier than a swordsman lol.

I just effing love Alchemy. I've played this games with every possible built, but this is the only one that works for me

Top Bottom