A few open world bugs.

+
Here there is an invisible crowd cheering and screaming. Perhaps this is supposed to be a quest for future DLC or something that was cut, Police barricades are set up and there is not a marker for gigs/sidejobs. It's odd.
20220212060949_1.jpg20220212060955_1.jpg

On this stairwell; There is a collison mesh at the top which halts my ascent - I have to shimmy along the edge, into the wall or use reinforced ankles to jump over it. The mesh does not impede descent.
20220212025812_1.jpg20220212025818_1.jpg

Missing backface/texture/etc. I can see through this overpass.
20220212020505_1.jpg20220212020514_1.jpg
Post automatically merged:

For some reason it was decided to use alpha textures with a height map for mega building designators instead of just modeling the numbers. What happens is that Ray Tracing, reference 'physical' data in the scene, causes the mesh plane, which carries the texture, to cast a shadow behind itself. The emissive effect that should be happening in the evening is lost, leaving an odd halo around the invisible plane... This doesn't happen without Ray Tracing enabled, but it also means that no light is cast on the surrounding geometry because there isn't an actual light there of course... and you lose all the effects of RT diffuse/AO of course.
20220212081300_1.jpg20220212081252_1.jpg20220212081507_1.jpg20220212081515_1.jpg

I'm at a loss; This literally only takes seconds in 3DS Max, Maya, Blenders, etc. If the reason was to save resources; It would be an odd way to do it considering so much is going on in the player viewport anyway, so it's not like the engine can't handle 3D numbers. The maps are relatively clean, so there must be a considerable number of triangles being rendering here; The actual data for the depth is baked, but the game logic, CPU, GPU, what have you still need to render the triangulated mesh. Modeling the numbers could possibly result in less geometry as well.

Last edited:

"A FEW OPEN WORLD BUGS."

Nice find. You can always decide to pass these to Support, in case you wish for them to be fixed.
Already done, but I appreciate that. Just posting here to get public eyes, and the event I can ellucidate people as to what may be causing some problems they see as well. I'll mostly be bitching about visual stuff unless I find something outstanding, like getting stuck on a stairwell.

Here there is an invisible crowd cheering and screaming. Perhaps this is supposed to be a quest for future DLC or something that was cut, Police barricades are set up and there is not a marker for gigs/sidejobs. It's odd.
View attachment 11280100View attachment 11280103

On this stairwell; There is a collison mesh at the top which halts my ascent - I have to shimmy along the edge, into the wall or use reinforced ankles to jump over it. The mesh does not impede descent.
View attachment 11280109View attachment 11280112

Missing backface/texture/etc. I can see through this overpass.
View attachment 11280115View attachment 11280118

For some reason it was decided to use alpha textures with a height map for mega building designators instead of just modeling the numbers. What happens is that Ray Tracing, reference 'physical' data in the scene, causes the mesh plane, which carries the texture, to cast a shadow behind itself. The emissive effect that should be happening in the evening is lost, leaving an odd halo around the invisible plane... This doesn't happen without Ray Tracing enabled, but it also means no that light is cast on the surrounding geometry because there isn't an actual light there of course.
View attachment 11280130View attachment 11280133View attachment 11280136View attachment 11280139

I'm at a loss; This literally only takes seconds in 3DS Max, Maya, Blenders, etc. If the reason was to save resources; It would be an odd way to do it considering so much is going on in the player viewport anyway, so it's not like the engine can't handle 3D numbers. The maps are relatively clean, so there must be a considerable number of triangles being rendering here; The actual data for the depth is baked, but the game logic, CPU, GPU, what have you still need to render the triangulated mesh. Modeling the numbers could possibly result in less geometry as well.
On the last one just a technical point but I think I'm right in saying that Nvidia's drivers called for a distinct light source for raytracing -- it could not be the object itself -- up until after the game had been released. Or something. It sounded very weird and a peek behind the curtain on a rapidly developing technology.

On the last one just a technical point but I think I'm right in saying that Nvidia's drivers called for a distinct light source for raytracing -- it could not be the object itself -- up until after the game had been released. Or something. It sounded very weird and a peek behind the curtain on a rapidly developing technology.
No.

If anything it would require an 'emissive' but not an actual light. Emissive meaning it sendis light to the camera (it glows), but it doesn't illuminate the environment or dynamic objects. Requiring an actual light would make local diffuse tracing moot. Some emissives have area/spot, often non-shadow casting, lights. This is why in some scenes(Misty's Esoterica) the difference is very very slight. It's an important place, so they spent time crafting it to look a certain way and nearly nothing will make it look better other than more craftsmanship. Other times you will see a day and night difference in lighting; How the adverts just outside of Lizzie's Bar front step light up the exterior walls and passers by.

The whole point of ray tracing for development is to alleviate the need for studios to develop screen space and diffuse rendering tech. This will continue increasing in quality and reach until it matches standalone rendering packages that use true path tracing.

The only reason I can think they would do this is because they don't want the area illuminated, giving the impression these are embedded. It would only make sense if they built those heightmaps with ray tracing in mind . Given how dramatically the lighting can change at important story moments, Clouds is a notable example, thus shifting the entire aesthetic of the scene; I doubt they designed these silly height maps for that purpose.

There is no light here.

Attachments

• Bug_05b.jpg
    Bug_05b.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 77
  • cheri.jpg
    cheri.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 60
Since I started using my new GPU (RTX) with this game I have noticed artifacts like this. I wasn't sure what was going on, but then I turned off the RTX features and most of the artifacts ceased. So I'm glad you posted this, now I know that I'm not the only one. That said, It was interesting at first seeing the added reflections, and details in game but having the RTX turned on even in 'balanced' mode was a resource hog. I have since stopped using it and only turning it on for screen shots. Realistically, while playing the game, does one even take the time to notice all the extra details? Possibly.

To be fair, I bought this new RTX GPU more for my rendering, artwork, 3D and it does work quite well, not disappointing. But for gameing, not so much, I feel they have a ways to go yet, at least where gaming is concerned. My old GTX 1080 Ti handled the game quite well even at high / ultra settings but the old beast was having some minor issues and causing a bottleneck in my new system. It is now in my back up system and still works fine but on an older system.

Good information, Thanks for post this.

No.

If anything it would require an 'emissive' but not an actual light. Emissive meaning it sendis light to the camera (it glows), but it doesn't illuminate the environment or dynamic objects. Requiring an actual light would make local diffuse tracing moot. Some emissives have area/spot, often non-shadow casting, lights. This is why in some scenes(Misty's Esoterica) the difference is very very slight. It's an important place, so they spent time crafting it to look a certain way and nearly nothing will make it look better other than more craftsmanship. Other times you will see a day and night difference in lighting; How the adverts just outside of Lizzie's Bar front step light up the exterior walls and passers by.

The whole point of ray tracing for development is to alleviate the need for studios to develop screen space and diffuse rendering tech. This will continue increasing in quality and reach until it matches standalone rendering packages that use true path tracing.

The only reason I can think they would do this is because they don't want the area illuminated, giving the impression these are embedded. It would only make sense if they built those heightmaps with ray tracing in mind . Given how dramatically the lighting can change at important story moments, Clouds is a notable example, thus shifting the entire aesthetic of the scene; I doubt they designed these silly height maps for that purpose.

There is no light here.
The tech I'm talking about is this: https://developer.nvidia.com/rtxdi

Whether it would have any application to the particular problem you identified I've no idea.

Edit: although having looked at your pics on a computer screen rather than a phone I now understand what you're talking about!!

Since I started using my new GPU (RTX) with this game I have noticed artifacts like this. I wasn't sure what was going on, but then I turned off the RTX features and most of the artifacts ceased. So I'm glad you posted this, now I know that I'm not the only one. That said, It was interesting at first seeing the added reflections, and details in game but having the RTX turned on even in 'balanced' mode was a resource hog. I have since stopped using it and only turning it on for screen shots. Realistically, while playing the game, does one even take the time to notice all the extra details? Possibly.

To be fair, I bought this new RTX GPU more for my rendering, artwork, 3D and it does work quite well, not disappointing. But for gameing, not so much, I feel they have a ways to go yet, at least where gaming is concerned. My old GTX 1080 Ti handled the game quite well even at high / ultra settings but the old beast was having some minor issues and causing a bottleneck in my new system. It is now in my back up system and still works fine but on an older system.

The one scene that I found got completely and utterly ruined by raytracing was, unfortunately, the big adventurous ending scene, where the unusual viewpoint on a landscape out of the window was whiting out so that it looked the opposite of majestic (similar to the whiteout that happens when entering a car and the glowing whites of the eyes in cars), and V's own face did similar as he went off on his escapade (quite hard to avoid spoilers but I've tried). It was a real shame and looks gorgeous WITHOUT RT.

Last edited:
Realistically, while playing the game, does one even take the time to notice all the extra details? Possibly.
Cars. I love cars and, because of the downright appalling sphere/cube maps used for offscreen environment reflections and the not too great SSR, I feel compelled to have RT reflections on at the least. They did an impressive job of setting up every reflective material for tracing... but this is also broken because, as I will go over in more detail later, the RT reflections are OVERRIDDEN by the ultra low-res reflection map on certain vehicles. This can only be turned off by disabling Distant Shadows for some reason - which then breaks the GI/Distant Shadow agonist relationship *dynamic light maps*. Yeah...

This why some games from nearly a decade ago render cars better than this game even with RT turned on.

You're welcome. DM me your specs and any mods/ini tweaks; I may be able to help you get more frames.

Last edited:
Top Bottom