~2 FPS on character creation and intro

+
Hi,
recently bought Cyberpunk on Epic and wanted to give it a try. Launched it and then it was a disaster - all logos and intros were worse that a slideshow, horrifying experience. After the menu loaded I jumped into settings to lower it (at first it was all on 'Ultra') - set everything on Low, changed res to 1080p (I use 1440p screen) and launched in-game benchmark. It looked like it made game quite "playable":
1645978167477.png

Still, I expected much more from my config, because it is better than recommended settings:
1645978246901.png

My config:
Windows 11
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
16 GB 3200MHz CL16
GTX 1070
Game installed on Samsung 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe 970 EVO Plus (made partition only for games, 0.7 of initial capacity)

Well, in-game benchmark made me think, that I can at least run it, so tried to start a new game. Choosing character background was fast, but in the body choosing section the hell has started - immediate decrease of fps to ~2 (two), it was really hard to click on any option. Thought it was just some single error, but in face-setting page it broke me, couldn't do anything and quit the game.

Decided to give it another try, launched it (hello <5 fps intro), checked settings if all was on lowest possible level, and tried to start a new game - same result. Interesting part is that when I switched context (Alt+Tab) and went back to game, it looked like for 1-2s it all was going smoothly and after that time it went to powerpoint mode again.

Searched the web, but couldn't find anyone who has the same problem - so I write here, cause I'd love to try this game, please help me :)

(If someone from tech support would like to reach me, I can give you my email, also I can discuss in english or polish)

Also I'd like to ask the community here - has anyone witnessed such a problem with low fps in menu? Does anyone has a solution for it?

is it a laptop? if it is make sure it is on high performance mode(my dumbass played on battery mode for hrs before realising)

Try updating drivers and make sure dedicated gpu is used, not integated.

No, it's PC.
Also, forgot to mention behavior on other games:
CS:GO, utlra, 1080p 100-200 fps, (same Valorant)
Jedi Fallen Order, Medium, 1440p, ~70fps

I have the newest graphic drivers from GeForce Experience:
1645980960213.png

[It says: Yoy've got the newest driver GeForce Game Ready, version 511.79, issue date 14.02.2022]

I also believe that it uses my 1070, as you can see on Task Manager (it was taken during launching the game - until reached to main menu).
1645981173186.png

First, go here if you want to get in touch with tech support. This is not an official channel to get in touch with them.

Otherwise, you can be assured you won't be contacted by CDPR's tech support.

Other than that, have you tried verifying the game's files integrity? It seems weird that it worked so poorly from the get-go. Corrupted download maybe.

The other thing that caught my attention is the sudden burst of performance when alt-tabbing. What temperatures are you hitting? You might be throttling due to temperatures. Temperatures go down when you alt tab as your hardware isn't being pushed and back up when you go back in. 1-2 seconds would be a damn quick burst in temperatures. If you're not already, try monitoring your temperatures.

Thx for link, submitted an issue there, let's see what pros say :)

I didn't measured temperatures in Cyberpunk in particular, but during Test Spy on 3dMark it was nearly a flat line. Also during other games it does not raise rapidly, but quite slowly and holds on one level, 55-75 C, depends on game.

I did some temperatres testing when I installed new fans (2 in, 3 out) and it was ok, but may redo this test if you think that it may be the main issue.

Thx for link, submitted an issue there, let's see what pros say :)

I didn't measured temperatures in Cyberpunk in particular, but during Test Spy on 3dMark it was nearly a flat line. Also during other games it does not raise rapidly, but quite slowly and holds on one level, 55-75 C, depends on game.

I did some temperatres testing when I installed new fans (2 in, 3 out) and it was ok, but may redo this test if you think that it may be the main issue.

Ideally, monitor your temperatures (CPU & GPU) while playing CP2077 specifically. The game is particularly demanding. Your GPU might hold firm at 55-75C but what about your CPU?

I also think it's worth verifying the game's files. Here's a link if you're unsure how on Epic (I had no clue until just a second myself).

Other than that, I fear you'll have to wait for CDPR's answer. It's a very weird issue.

About verifying game files - forgot to respond to that. I've redownloaded and verified it already, nothing wrong or unusual spotted.

I checked temperatures and it was max 57 C on GPU and 65.3 C on CPU during intro and then in-game benchmark.
What is interesting is that I switched to windowed mode and had opened Task Manager and HWInfo in pararell - then when I switched context by alt-tabbing I noticed that GPU was almost not used when the focus was on game, what made it run in 2 fps, but when focus was on sth else, benchmark run smoothly on 70fps. You can see it on chart from TM:
1645983716405.png

I agree, it is very weird and it's first time I see something like this. I believe it may be related to this game in particular as I don't have any similar issues with other games.
I hope that CDPR can fix that or tell me what's wrong, so I will patiently wait for their response :)

Thank a lot for your help :)

About verifying game files - forgot to respond to that. I've redownloaded and verified it already, nothing wrong or unusual spotted.

I checked temperatures and it was max 57 C on GPU and 65.3 C on CPU during intro and then in-game benchmark.
What is interesting is that I switched to windowed mode and had opened Task Manager and HWInfo in pararell - then when I switched context by alt-tabbing I noticed that GPU was almost not used when the focus was on game, what made it run in 2 fps, but when focus was on sth else, benchmark run smoothly on 70fps. You can see it on chart from TM:
View attachment 11287894

I agree, it is very weird and it's first time I see something like this. I believe it may be related to this game in particular as I don't have any similar issues with other games.
I hope that CDPR can fix that or tell me what's wrong, so I will patiently wait for their response :)

Thank a lot for your help :)

Have you tried forcing the game to use your GPU instead of letting windows decide? Seems there is an issue there.

If you're unsure how, it goes: right-click your desktop -> display setting -> In display setting scroll down to graphics setting

From there you should be able to browse for any specific app you might want to force to use your GPU. Navigate to CP2077's .exe and add it. By default it should be set to "let Windows decide" and under high performance should be your 1070. Force it into high performance and hope it works.

Seemed like it might help, but no, still the same result :(
It looks like it uses different amount of resources per stage, what can be seen on this chart:
1646034796000.png

First low flat: intro
then a bit higher flat: main menu, level selection, background selection
spike: entering character body type selection
and then low flat again: character body and face selection and customization.

Seemed like it might help, but no, still the same result :(
It looks like it uses different amount of resources per stage, what can be seen on this chart:
View attachment 11288293
First low flat: intro
then a bit higher flat: main menu, level selection, background selection
spike: entering character body type selection
and then low flat again: character body and face selection and customization.

Damn, was hoping this could be it. It's a strange issue. Obviously your GPU is being used but nowhere near enough.

Seems like you'll definitely have to wait for CDPR's answer. Unless someone else has an idea.

Top Bottom