Do You Think Cyberpunk 2077 (as of now) is an Immersive Sim game?

+

Do You Think Cyberpunk 2077 (as of now) is an IMMERSIVE SIM game?

• YES (post your reasons why)

Votes: 28 17.5%
  • NO (your reasons & maybe how to improve it)

Votes: 83 51.9%
  • It's complicated (post your reasons why & maybe how to improve it)

Votes: 25 15.6%
  • Huh... What's even immersive sim?

Votes: 24 15.0%

• Total voters
While it's not the first thing I'd call it, it's definitely closer to games like Deus Ex than most other genres. To me, it plays mostly like an open world Deus Ex - which is kinda my dream game. It's not perfect - and it still has some bugs and balance issues (particularly how netrunning is absurdly powerful) - but it's pretty close.

If the game had been released in the 1.5 state - everything would have been completely different, but I'm not sure it's such a bad thing, because I think CDPR suits sort of needed a tough lesson, which they seem to have received in a good way. As in, they're clearly doing a lot of work fixing what should never have been broken - and that's great for us gamers, even if it's way, way too late.

Well, I've always thought that Cyberpunk 2077 was a supremely immersive experience. I spent an enormous amount of time just exploring Night City, doing gigs that caught my eye, learning the streets, etc. This was probably the thing I loved the most right out of the gate. But I don't feel that it wasn't trying to be an "Immersive Sim". It was trying to be exactly what it is: a strongly narrative and cinematic Action/RPG set in the Cyberpunk universe, utilizing open-world gameplay. (I would term games like ArmA, Elite: Dangerous, or Hunter: Call of the Wild as "Immersive Simulation".) To me, Cyberpunk is far more game than sim.

And thats fine. Souls games are popular now but games don't all have to all be like that, otherwise it would be a very narrowminded art.

You like this aspect of game design now but that doesn't mean you will still like it 5 or 10 years from now. Between now and then, your whole life may change and with it, how you think about and play games.

I grew up with games like Ultima Underworld but 25 years later, I'm not playing Ultima Underworld or any other games like it. Why is that? Because it was fun when I had summer holidays and easter breaks to break my brain over Richard Garriott's moon logic. Now I work 50 hours a week and I have to spend annual leave to play games that demand a lot of me.
I can still remember thinking that Ultima III was the most amazing RPG ever. Then I played Ultima VII which is still one of my top 3 favorite games of all time. Ultima Underworld melted my brain when I played it. Then, I felt the same about Morrowind. When Mass Effect released, I couldn't believe that a game could be that detailed and cinematic. The Witcher 3 felt like a dream had literally come true, and now I could actually play all of the things I used to think were just wild pipe dreams back in the 1980s and '90s.

At present, I'm absolutely taken with Elden Ring.

Can't wait until people look back on TW3 and Elden Ring in the decades to come and start the conversation:

"Oh, my god, the graphics are sooo bad!"

"This game is janky as hell. The controls feel so unresponsive, and the movement is really unnatural."

"I totally get why this game was so amazing at the time, but there's no way I can actually bring myself to play this."

"Which games? I've never heard of them."

Immersive sim is honestly a terrible name for a design archetype because it implies if something isn't an immersive sim, it cannot be immersive (which is not true).

A bit like anything in music with the word progressive in front of it, implying that everything else is regressive (which is also not true).

But I think the design of games like Ultima Underworld is clear in the comparison to Cyberpunk. Ultima Underworld fundamentally works by withholding information from the player. The game doesn't explicitly say or even imply that you can do something and it doesn't tell you how to do it. You just do things and if it works, it works and if it doesn't you try something else. Many design elements force you to make choices without information.

For example, inventory space in Ultima Underworld is very restricted and this forces you to throw things away or not pick things up based on how important you think they might be. The game doesn't tell you. You can throw things away that make certain outcomes impossible to achieve.

As game design got bigger and more expensive, I also observed a tendency towards ensuring that everything the developers build gets to be something all players can experience. So modern games generally avoid permanently locking players out of content for making decisions based on imperfect information. If they are going to lock you out of something, they make damn well sure you know (or ought to have known) the outcome was inevitable.

Players also complain about this game design element too - For choice to matter, there has to be consequences for making bad choices. And how do you know if a choice is good or bad if you don't have perfect information? This can be seen as taking agency away from the player and if drawn out to extremes can result in players disengaging. It can make someone feel helpless - like the game is happening to you and you have no power to influence it with your preparation and ingenuity.

Last edited:
As game design got bigger and more expensive, I also observed a tendency towards ensuring that everything the developers build gets to be something all players can experience. So modern games generally avoid permanently locking players out of content for making decisions based on imperfect information. If they are going to lock you out of something, they make damn well sure you know (or ought to have known) that the outcome was inevitable.
It remind me "something" about how unfair it was to lock Fingers clinic because you punch him previously... o_O

Yeah. Fingers is weird af. I can overlook his sense of decorations... but Fingers man... what is up with the name? That sounds like a serial killer alias or cannibal. Possibly both. Though that being said... When I spoke with the creep... I thought he really did have Evelyn's best interests. Tried to help her. Found someone he thought would. I think? I dunno if I'm missing any messages, lore or any details.

I am pretty sure a term exists for this aspect of gaming, no i could be wrong but i believe its called

Get Good
Incorrect, and a tired old phrase repeated by many without thinking about what it means.

Also you spelled it wrong. ;)

Correct use of Git Gud:
Game gives you the ability to throw objects found in the world. Much later, a task presents you with a switch you need to press, located out of reach, with nothing nearby to poke it with. A reasonable amount of time spent attempting to reach it should quickly demonstrate its futility; at which point, the player who's Gitten Gud wil backtrack slightly, pick up a rock, bring it back, throw it, and hits the switch with it. A player not thinking "outside the box" will fixate on the immediate area and/or keep trying to reach it themselves. The game gave you the tools you need to succeed and taught you that they exist, then you need to connect the dots.

Incorrect use of Git Gud:
Everything I just said above, except throwing the rock causes three guards who are impossible to see from any player position to yell WHAT WAS THAT NOISE and swarm your location from their post while raising the alarm in the process.

See the difference? It's internal consistency. It's making it *possible*, even if it's *difficult*, to succeed *using all available information and tools the game gives you.* If the key information is literally impossible to obtain by any means - like the hidden guards with super hearing - then that is simply bad encounter design. There is literally way for the player to know before failing the first time. In the second example, a smart player was tauight by the game that they should throw something to hit the swtich, but then the game turns around and penalizes them for listening to it.

That's the difference between "Trial and Error," which anyone can Git Gud at, vs. "Trial and Death," which there is no gittin' good because there is literally no way to succeed until you fail at least once or obtain spoiler info. The same way fighting games all became typing contests instead of fighting games - there's no skill beyond who can type their combo-sentence in first or fastest. Yawn.

Last edited:
There are just way too many things that break immersion for it to come even close to qualifying, even if it wanted to, which I'm not sure it does anyway.

The term has nothing to do with your immersion, but more to do with the immersion provided by its ecosystem of gameplay mechanics, that is literally the definition.

Because based on your definition Deus Ex nor Thief wouldn't classify as they offer many ''immersion breaking things''.
The two of you are saying entirely different things.

First, I'd love some examples of where you can solve sidequests / gigs / etc in a manner other than choosing between "kill everyone" or "stealth past everyone." If there aren't more than 25% of such content where there are other options, then I'm sorry but "many, many others" is not accurate at all. And 25% is a super generous low bar to set for that really.

I was referring to ways to interact with the game, there are many, killing is not the only one and many times it's not required or can be bypassed all together.

The game does not push one to play a certain way, it's up to you how you play.

But even so as an example, most if not all the Assassination quests have alternate routes and alternate endings, most of the infiltration ones as well and many times you have no idea that you can interact with the game in certain ways, like purely through dialogue without engaging in stealth or combat at all.

However, Hoyte did not say you CAN'T avoid killing everyone - what they actually said is that you SHOULDN'T. They are talking about realizing that while a job may be presented to you as a stealth op, and the opposing force might be a group you have had prior contact with - in truth there are zero consequences or effects from just killing everyone in the building, taking all their stuff, and minmaxing "stealth" xp on top of that by throwing your victims' corpses into boxes. That doing the job as it's presented to you, "infiltrate blah location," actually causes you to lose more than you gain in terms of loot and cash, and most forms of xp, not to mention it's more often than not, far faster just to shoot everyone in the head and call it a day. Then rob/hack the place blind in peace and safety once all hostiles are dead.

That has nothing to do with the subject at hand, you can do the same in Deus Ex, knock everyone out then shoot them, don't see the point.

There's no reason what so ever to do that.

There's plenty of xp to be gained without exploits, which is an issue with the base game design of Cyberpunk 2077, I'd put it down as inexperience with these certain systems.

At the same time there are zero lasting effects or consequences no matter how you go about it, there is no mechanism for group dynamics or V's relationship with any of them outside scripted hardcoded story events, which themselves have almost no effect out in the game world.

You literally can lock yourself out of all the endings except suicide and the Devil which has a few ramifications regarding on how you approached certain missions.

Which doesn't really have anything to do with the immersive sim gameplay design and philosophy, not everything needs to be procedurally generated and have an infinite variations.

It's mostly to do with level design and gameplay systems designed to interact with each other in a way that allows the player to behave as their characters would in a certain situation, purely through non linear gameplay design and environmental design.

The main gist of it is that these elements have been implemented across the board in many different genres, even grand strategy ones like Spellforce or shooters like Doom.

Like I have mentioned before, Cyberpunk 2077 allows me to experience it as I would an immersive sim, I have very similar experience in both this and Deus Ex, System Shock and Thief.

That is it.

While it's not the first thing I'd call it, it's definitely closer to games like Deus Ex than most other genres. To me, it plays mostly like an open world Deus Ex - which is kinda my dream game. It's not perfect - and it still has some bugs and balance issues (particularly how netrunning is absurdly powerful) - but it's pretty close.

If the game had been released in the 1.5 state - everything would have been completely different, but I'm not sure it's such a bad thing, because I think CDPR suits sort of needed a tough lesson, which they seem to have received in a good way. As in, they're clearly doing a lot of work fixing what should never have been broken - and that's great for us gamers, even if it's way, way too late.

That's right. I still expect a lot of additions from CD Projekt RED. In addition to fixing some bugs that are still present, I want to see some of the features I was promised when Cyberpunk 2077 was promoted all these years. I hope that the physical version for consoles will be released by this summer with even more "impressive" improvements and the arrival of the first DLC.

The term has nothing to do with your immersion, but more to do with the immersion provided
Uh. I want to read the rest of your post, but before I can, what exactly are you picturing here? Who is the immersion being "provided to?" Me, that's who. Every individual player. Not sure what you think the "literal definition" of that is or how it's any different than what I said. Honestly curious as to what you picture as the contrast.
Post automatically merged:

You literally can lock yourself out of all the endings except suicide and the Devil which has a few ramifications regarding on how you approached certain missions.
Which has nothing at all to do with what I said, or what we were talking about in terms of approaching a given gig or side job...? It's 6 pages now so I understand if you just skimmed a bunch of it, but the endings have nothing to do with, last i checked, whether you never killed a single Tyger Claw or murdered a thousand of them. You even repeat my exact point - how you approaced *certain missions.* They exist in a bubble. There is no overall "world state" of, say, V's relations with the Mox, or the Tyger Claws, who you can shoot in the face then go chat with your bud Wakako.

Or how Maelstrom can "like your style" and fight side by side with you.... and then ten minutes later and forever after, be infinitely hostile to you if you even walk too close to where some of them are hanging around. I wound up with a path that led to dealing with Royce, never even discorering that Brick was still alive, Dum Dum shouting compliements at me during combat, and fighting Militech soldiers side by side with Royce, which led me to actually avoid conflict with Malestrom until I realized that the entire sequence had zero effect on the game as a whole and Maelstrom peeps in the world will always be hostile to you and shoot on sight from 50 feet away just because.

Last edited:
my favorite part is knocking someone out then waiting for them to wake back up since they are unconscious

Uh. I want to read the rest of your post, but before I can, what exactly are you picturing here? Who is the immersion being "provided to?" Me, that's who. Every individual player. Not sure what you think the "literal definition" of that is or how it's any different than what I said. Honestly curious as to what you picture as the contrast.

This thread isn't about how immersive the game is, it's about the immersive sim genre.

Here's the definition:

''An immersive sim (simulation) is a video game genre that emphasizes player choice. Its core, defining trait is the use of simulated systems that respond to a variety of player actions which, combined with a comparatively broad array of player abilities, allow the game to support varied and creative solutions to problems, as well as emergent gameplay beyond what has been explicitly designed by the developer.[1] This definition is not to be confused with game systems which allow player choice in a confined sense or systems which allow players to easily escape consequences of their choices.''

By all accounts Cyberpunk ticks all the boxes here, mate.

I've posted this before so I don't know who's skimming what here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immersive_sim

Which has nothing at all to do with what I said, or what we were talking about in terms of approaching a given gig or side job...? It's 6 pages now so I understand if you just skimmed a bunch of it, but the endings have nothing to do with, last i checked, whether you never killed a single Tyger Claw or murdered a thousand of them. You even repeat my exact point - how you approaced *certain missions.* They exist in a bubble. There is no overall "world state" of, say, V's relations with the Mox, or the Tyger Claws, who you can shoot in the face then go chat with your bud Wakako.

I understand what you guys are talking about, and I agree, from an immersive standpoint, yes it's lacking.

But at the same time it has nothing to do with the game being an immersive sim or not.

And such systems are quite sparse through out the whole genre, I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to argue here, because I agree with you on these aspects.

But at the same time the game can easily be played as an immersive sim game, whether these systems are in or not.

Or how Maelstrom can "like your style" and fight side by side with you.... and then ten minutes later and forever after, be infinitely hostile to you if you even walk too close to where some of them are hanging around. I wound up with a path that led to dealing with Royce, never even discorering that Brick was still alive, Dum Dum shouting compliements at me during combat, and fighting Militech soldiers side by side with Royce, which led me to actually avoid conflict with Malestrom until I realized that the entire sequence had zero effect on the game as a whole and Maelstrom peeps in the world will always be hostile to you and shoot on sight from 50 feet away just because.

Sure I agree, also lore wise the Maelstrom are not a hive mind and are formed of small pockets which may or may not know of the all so unimportant merc in a sea of mercs in Night City, but that's just an excuse.

But again, nothing to do with it being an immersive sim or not.

Cannot kill judy or any other main character i want

I am forced to play their story the way they choose

Complex NPC AI is heavily scripted (those "if/then/else" statements you refer to).

For example in GTA5 you crash a vehicle and the wreckage obstruct the road nav mesh. An npc drives along and encounters the obstruction. It then falls back to scripted behaviour where it will attempt to path around an obstruction. In attempting to do this, the NPC driver collides with an incoming vehicle on the opposite side of the road.

This other NPC has an "angry" behaviour archetype so they get out of the vehicle and play back some angry voice lines. Then you get out of your vehicle and draw a weapon (all of this is scripted too). Now they point their weapon at you and start firing because they are scripted to respond this way to threat (where threat means having a weapon unholstered and aimed down sights at them). Now you are involved in a fire fight over a road traffic accident and all of this seems spontaneous and emergent but it is the product of a very large library of procedural behaviour routines and decision making process/flow graphs.

None of this is a requirement for an immersive sim. In Deus Ex the important part is not that you can open a locked door by detonating a crate of TNT near it. The door can take damage and is destructible. They specifically designed them this way. The TNT crate deals damage on explosion. Thats designed too. You can kill yourself if you are inside its explosion collision mesh. You can pick up the TNT crate and place it next to a door. All of this is designed also. A level designer placed explosive interactables in the level for a reason.

The important part is the game doesn't tell you explicitly to do it or that you even can. So we get back to the core feature of what makes an immerse sim which is the game withholds this information from you. It essentially tricks you into thinking that you can bring about an outcome that has not been designed because the game designers never tell you what they designed for. You don't get a quest log telling you explicitly to "pick up a crate of TNT and blow open the hatch marked x on your map". The game doesn't explicitly run you through a tutorial to make sure you understand that you can blow up doors with TNT crates.

After modding Cyberpunk for a year, I found broadly 2 outcomes that can occur when game devs don't account for something a user does and has no scripted contingency to fall back on in the event they do it: either nothing happens at all or the game crashes and throws an exception.

Last edited:
None of this is a requirement for an immersive sim. In Deus Ex the important part is not that you can open a locked door by detonating a crate of TNT near it. The door can take damage and is destructible. They specifically designed them this way. The TNT crate deals damage on explosion. Thats designed too. You can kill yourself if you are inside its explosion collision mesh. You can pick up the TNT crate and place it next to a door. All of this is designed also. A level designer placed explosive interactables in the level for a reason.

The important part is the game doesn't tell you explicitly to do it or that you even can. So we get back to the core feature of what makes an immerse sim which is the game withholds this information from you. It essentially tricks you into thinking that you can bring about an outcome that has not been designed because the game designers never tell you what they designed for. You don't get a quest log telling you explicitly to "pick up a crate of TNT and blow open the hatch marked x on your map". The game doesn't explicitly run you through a tutorial to make sure you understand that you can blow up doors with TNT crates.

After modding Cyberpunk for a year, I found broadly 2 outcomes that can occur when game devs don't account for something a user does and has no scripted contingency to fall back on in the event they do it: either nothing happens at all or the game crashes and throws an exception.

In the same spirit there are countless examples of gameplay loops which are in the same fashion presented in Cyberpunk depending on playstyle and approach.

There are carefully placed usables around the levels which create such scenarios, different paths which can be accessed, NPC behavior that can be exploited in a myriad of ways to create such a gameplay loop.

I'll just give an example, the Monk sidequest in Watson, the key is to rescue his mate, you can either conventionally start the quest by talking to an NPC or you can happen by the warehouse and hear the cry for help.

From here onwards there are a few ways of tackling the mission itself, one obvious way is to shoot your way in the front door which creates one outcome, you can access one of the side vents which is a skill check based interaction, you can infiltrate from the front by distracting the guard and knocking him out, you can infiltrate from above the containers etc.

The way you can exploit various NPC interactions in this quest is tenfold as well, you can sabotage machinery to create havoc, you can sabotage crates and distract the enemies fooling them into position for the crates to fall onto them, you can hack various stuff to incapacitate them, you can sneakly incapacitate them one by one following their patrol route etc.

This is a very small and inconsequential side quest, others have a variety of different options like dialogue and disguise that can be utilized, the game does not tell you which way to take just gives you the general objective and sets you on your way.

I've infiltrated a factory by simply using the camera system to incapacitate or distract the guards, one by one without actually entering the building during the process, afterwards when everyone was unconscious I simply used the front entrance, went into the main office, hacked the computer and walked out with no one being any wiser as to what was going on.

That to me seems very similar to my approaches in Thief and Deus Ex, even System Shock games.

That's what I was referring to.

Again you are identifying gameplay loops and pointing to them as evidence that the game fits into an immersive sim genre and I'm saying immersive sim is not a genre, its a design philosophy. Cyberpunk incorporates many design philosophies. Modern games often take elements that worked in previous games and combine/retrofit them for their own purposes.

Cyberpunk has first person shooter mechanics. It has RPG mechanics. It has branching narrative/cinematic story elements (a bit like those multiple choice fighting fantasy novels). It has some immersive sim mechanics. But overall, the design philosophy of the immersive sim is not very prevalent across the game as a whole.

More often than not, the game explicitly gives the player a great deal of information, to the extent than when it doesn't do this, players often treat it as if a trick that has been played on them. i.e. punching Fingers MD. "The game did not tell me that if I punch Fingers, I lose access to him as a ripperdoc". For what its worth, I like that punching Fingers and saving Takamura and ratting out Panam to Saul is in the game and that it is used sparingly. I like that the game does not lean heavily into immersive sim design.

In Ultima Underworld, the withholding of information is so prevalent across the entire game that there is no ambiguity about the game tricking you into anything. It is simply the natural state of the game for negative consequences to occur as a result of choices made with the absence of information. Less frequently, positive outcomes occur as a result of happy accidents. The outcome this time is desirable but unexpected (because you don't have the information ahead of time to know that its going to work this way).

Ok lets do a thought experiment. Lets imagine how we can reshape Deus Ex to have less immersive sim design and make it more like Cyberpunk? The first thing is to give you optional quest logs on liberty island and a little story exposition telling you to lock pick a door. Or carry a crate of TNT over to a hatch and blow it open. To mark points of interest on the map/hud so you have a clear direction of where you should be going.

Lets have a tutorial section that explicitly instructs you to sneak past a guard without being detected and unarmed takedown the squad commander. Lets set the ground work by explaining all the tools that you can use and how they should be used and then once you have been taught to play this way, imply to the player that any of these methods can be used at any time in a later mission.

And thats not how Liberty Island works at all. There is nothing in Liberty Island that tell you what methods you can employ or when to employ them and this is the tutorial area. What you do here will inform you what you can or should do later in the game. Because the game keeps its mouth shut, when you do something like blow a hatch with a crate of TNT and save a lock pick, you think that YOU broke the game. That YOU cracked the code.

Last edited:
@Hayte

I think we're both talking past each other.

I agree with you, there was never a point where I wasn't agreeing with you except for disregarding the similarities between the two using a manner of excuses that have nothing to do with the genre.

Ambiguity is an arbitrary design decision that I have no idea why you find so important, because if that's the case, the Souls like games and Metroidvania games are Immersive Sims by that point alone, which they are not.

The lack of objectives and presence of them in newer games is just a side effect of modern game design, I hate it myself, but it is what it is.

It's comparable between Deus Ex and Human Revolution/Mankind Divided, Thief 1/2 - Thief Deadly Shadows/Thief, System Shock 1/2 - Bioshock/Dishonored, Penumbra, Amnesia - Outlast 1/2

That's why I'm referring to gameplay loops in general, it's what defines an immersive sim, experimentation through gameplay, mechanics that allow the player to identify - immerse themselves - with the actions that define their characters in the game through gameplay scenarios designed with certain systems working together to create the simulation.

The main philosophy of an immersive sim has never been ambiguity, it's always been level design and gameplay systems.

I can't see how one disagrees with this, and of course it's a genre it always has been since it's inception.

I really think you should read that wiki article, it's fascinating.

I think the trouble here is the use of the words.

Simulations, by very clear and direct definition, are games that attempt to represent real-world actuality as closely as possible. Hence, a combat simulation would not involve "hit points" or "armor class". Health would be guaged by the lethality of the weapon being used resulting in a single bullet most often disabling or neutralizing a target, and the player would have to take into account things like muzzle velocity of a rifle, bullet drop, and coriolis effect over longer distances. Flight simulations do not work based on "left/right/up/down", "afterburner boost", and "waiting for missles to reload". The player is responsible for controlling individual flight surfaces, managing fuel levels, and many modern combat engagements will be won or lost before visual contact is even established.

That's what "simulation" means. Yes, it's perfectly possible for games to have only lite sim elements coupled with purely fantastical game mechanics, and most games will fall into this category. But, by the definition of the word, any game that describes itself as a "simulation" will be focused on handling things with an extreme level of practical realism.

Cyberpunk 2077 does not even remotely attempt to do this. It does look realistic -- definitely! But that's just the graphics. The game itself is in no way, shape, or form a simulation of anything. It's a role-playing game set in a wildly imaginative, sci-fi setting with various mechanics focused on creating fun, approachable gameplay.

Where the real breakdown will occur with the question posed here is with the use of the word "immersive", which has several valid definitions, each of which can mean something totally different from one player to the next. I use it to mean: "I feel like I'm there, in that world. I can readily suspend my disbelief and willingly forget that I'm 'playing a game'." Hard to do with something like Candy Crush, Plants vs. Zombies, or Super Mario Bros. Much easier to do with something like CP2077, Mass Effect, or Skyrim. (But that doesn't make the game a "simulation".)

I think the trouble here is the use of the words.

Simulations, by very clear and direct definition, are games that attempt to represent real-world actuality as closely as possible. Hence, a combat simulation would not involve "hit points" or "armor class". Health would be guaged by the lethality of the weapon being used resulting in a single bullet most often disabling or neutralizing a target, and the player would have to take into account things like muzzle velocity of a rifle, bullet drop, and coriolis effect over longer distances. Flight simulations do not work based on "left/right/up/down", "afterburner boost", and "waiting for missles to reload". The player is responsible for controlling individual flight surfaces, managing fuel levels, and many modern combat engagements will be won or lost before visual contact is even established.

That's what "simulation" means. Yes, it's perfectly possible for games to have only lite sim elements coupled with purely fantastical game mechanics, and most games will fall into this category. But, by the definition of the word, any game that describes itself as a "simulation" will be focused on handling things with an extreme level of practical realism.

Cyberpunk 2077 does not even remotely attempt to do this. It does look realistic -- definitely! But that's just the graphics. The game itself is in no way, shape, or form a simulation of anything. It's a role-playing game set in a wildly imaginative, sci-fi setting with various mechanics focused on creating fun, approachable gameplay.
That's only true as long you count player interaction with weapons, cars and such items.

On certain aspects it's actually opposite to your take on game. Gangs of the Night City, some of them have quite outrageous look, yet how gangs work, down to internal issues of gang culture are very accurate compared to real life and address environmental influence and other behavioral patterns.

Collapse of social fiber, I have some books about that in my shelf, considered cornerstones of that subject in academia. Now why is that collapse happening? I have more books about that again related of cultural and economical aspects of that and those sure as hell ain't no pamphlets either.

It could be asked if player character input is required to make that aspect simulation, where answer with population of Night City is very same as in major cities around the world IRL. No, it's not required as individual without any sort of organization or even with such, doesn't matter on scale we are talking about.

Where the real breakdown will occur with the question posed here is with the use of the word "immersive", which has several valid definitions, each of which can mean something totally different from one player to the next. I use it to mean: "I feel like I'm there, in that world. I can readily suspend my disbelief and willingly forget that I'm 'playing a game'." Hard to do with something like Candy Crush, Plants vs. Zombies, or Super Mario Bros. Much easier to do with something like CP2077, Mass Effect, or Skyrim. (But that doesn't make the game a "simulation".)

Super Mario is very good example as it's the recognized brand globally and Mario being most known character. It's interesting question if Super Mario and other related games, such as Mario Kart are the very pinnacle of games as a form of expression. I sort of hope not, as thinking of classic works in realms of fiction, Animal Farm by George Orwell, some animals are more equal than others, yet depending from other things and when it was written one can also ponder about Leon Trotsky / Stalin. Actual history and share that with other people.

Meanwhile, Super Mario as pinnacle of games, has achieved... being popular culture reference and besides that, absolute fucking nothing.

Suspension of disbelief, what this discussion isn't addressing at all, is a matter of different goals and motivations. Adult people are willing to read a fairy tale, even consider that as a classic as it can describe something about our real world.

Now that is the divider, work of fiction that can break that barrier, even a video game, people are willing to suspend their belief for that reason, that can be perceived as gripping, captivating... even breath taking (God that felt good to type) but it's all describing experience of short term addiction. Some of us are wired for that and we can be perfectly conscious about things like in car view in game, steering wheel isn't turning anywhere near like it should. Unrealistic but convenient as it synch with gamepad quite nicely and less convoluted design allows us to pay attention to what is around us, as all that adds to what we are experiencing on higher level. So nobody is complaining, nobody wants to make that more realistic, as that would form an obstacle to access content on that higher level, with input methods available for the most of user base.

There are then lots of details in gameplay and story aspects of game that adds more to that, sucks you in.

Real word, I think it's perfectly possible to not appreciate covering very realistic scenarios and perhaps someone writing in this topic manages to make that game one day. Part of reality, kind of sad, if higher level of story and it's importance for suspension of disbelief is only seen as users congratulating themselves, for one reason or another, but yes. Mario Bros would be pinnacle of games as a form of expression. A lot about mere distraction.

Last edited:
I recently played Elden Ring which is a great game and I think all CDPR developers should play this game.
CDPR needs to learn how to build exploration and worlds, before 2077 was released CDPR bragged about how vertical their Night City was, and then after it was released we found out how little content there was in Night City's mega buildings, compared to all the wonderful levels in Elden Ring Night City is a joke, CDPR level designers and open world designers play Elden Ring it will be a textbook for your game design.

Top Bottom