Starfield! Spaaaaaaace...ladders.

+
Yep, Bethesda's big next game! Scheduled for ...hopefully 2023?

1647545378721.png

Official website: https://bethesda.net/en/game/starfield

Teaser trailer:

The latest video:
The predecessor:

All the Bethesda videos:https://www.youtube.com/c/bethesda/search?query=starfield

A recent article on the dialogue: https://www.pcgamer.com/starfield-has-twice-as-much-dialog-as-skyrim/

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I will wait until the release to get my hand on it and make my opinion :)
(An adventure in the space, I'm already interested...)

Anyway I'm sure that Microsoft wouldn't want a "Starfield 76" as exclusivity on Xbox just before christmas. So I'm rather confident. But not enough to pre-order it for sure... The last time I did it for a Bethesda game, I regretted it badly... Or maybe if I upgrade my Gold to Game pass meanwhile... so it will be "free" anyway :)

Sorry, but I'm very skeptical.

"We don't make RPGs, we make simulations." Since when? The last Bethesda game I can think of that might possibly be called a simulation was in the early 2000s. I'm also not impressed by a November 2022 release date for a game that, even in the most recent video, most of the graphics aren't of the gameplay at all - they're concept art at best. And what does the phrase "giant open world" mean in the context of a space RPG? All of the 50LY or so circle radius (should be sphere, but I digress ...) is an open world? I don't think that Bethesda has an engine remotely that sophisticated. Or there are a few individual worlds, each with some portion of land that, in aggregate, might represent a giant open world? In other words, a space version of Dragon Age Inquisition?

November is 8 months away. "Gold" date would then be maybe 7 months away. Surely by now they should have some meaningful gameplay to show us.

Edit: It's not that I don't like space sims. The fact that I do should be evident from my user name. I just don't have any confidence in this one.

Last edited:
I had much enjoyment with Fallout 3 and 4, Fallout 76 was a disaster that I luckily escaped and even back then Starfield was said to be a new upcoming game by them. I didn't care much then and since Fallout 76 I dont care in general.
If I happen to think of it and feel like checking out some footage I might, but I will not be first in line to buy anything. Not by a long shot.
And I feel like I should first be convinced of it being worth anything.

Sorry, but I'm very skeptical.

"We don't make RPGs, we make simulations." Since when? The last Bethesda game I can think of that might possibly be called a simulation was in the early 2000s. I'm also not impressed by a November 2022 release date for a game that, even in the most recent video, most of the graphics aren't of the gameplay at all - they're concept art at best. And what does the phrase "giant open world" mean in the context of a space RPG? All of the 50LY or so circle radius (should be sphere, but I digress ...) is an open world? I don't think that Bethesda has an engine remotely that sophisticated. Or there are a few individual worlds, each with some portion of land that, in aggregate, might represent a giant open world? In other words, a space version of Dragon Age Inquisition?

November is 8 months away. "Gold" date would then be maybe 7 months away. Surely by now they should have some meaningful gameplay to show us.

Edit: It's not that I don't like space sims. The fact that I do should be evident from my user name. I just don't have any confidence in this one.
Bethesda tend not to reveal too much ahead of the shows in the year of release. So very close to release. The approach has its merits in not building up too many expectations too early. (*cough*)

Looking forward to Starfield, but will likely wait for a decent review before purchase, probably will wait for ACG to review it.

Hopefully it wont be a terrible launch like CP77's was :shrug:

Guest 3847602

Sounds interesting in theory, I love sci-fi, but I'm afraid of Bethesda's bland writing more than any bug. Unless they've made massive improvements on this front I see no reason to buy the game at full, or even half the price.
150.000 lines of dialogue means absolutely nothing if none of it is interesting. :think:

Sounds interesting in theory, I love sci-fi, but I'm afraid of Bethesda's bland writing more than any bug. Unless they've made massive improvements on this front I see no reason to buy the game at full, or even half the price.
150.000 lines of dialogue means absolutely nothing if none of it is interesting. :think:
Honestly, my expectation about story are very (very, very) low, so I can't see how I could be desappointed (or maybe if it's like @Didacgomez say, a "great space adventure" where you end, stuck on a planet for almost the whole game^^). Anyway it would be the same for any Bethesda game (like a TES 6) and I "really" count (and hope) on Microsoft to push Bethesda to improve this part of their games...
But at least, a space sci-fi world would change from their "usual" post apocalyptic and fantasy worlds, that's cool (for me at least) :)

Guest 3847602

Honestly, my expectation about story are very (very, very) low, so I can't see how I could be desappointed (or maybe if it's like @Didacgomez say, a "great space adventure" where you end, stuck on a planet for almost the whole game^^). Anyway it would be the same for any Bethesda game (like a TES 6) and I "really" count (and hope) on Microsoft to push Bethesda to improve this part of their games...
But at least, a space sci-fi world would change from their "usual" post apocalyptic and fantasy worlds, that's cool (for me at least) :)
Yeah, I don't expect miracles in regards to the writing, so I'll most likely get it at 66-80% discount.
I am hungry for a good sci-fi game (new Mass Effect and Squadron 42 are years away, same with Archetype Entertainment's untitled game), so that's pretty much the only reason I'm checking the news about Starfield from time to time. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm excited for it.

No, I do not expect great writing from any Bethesda game. I expect solid gameplay and absolutely incredible modding capabilities. There hasn't been a Bethesda game I didn't mod to hell and back and in which I haven't spent 1K+ hours on a single character with constant new content and gameplay modifications that keep the game fresh throughout. No other game gives me that. No other game even comes close to allowing that. I see Bethesda's games as a generally very solid framework upon which to build. If Starfield manages to be more than that, great, otherwise I am still getting way more than my money's worth out of it.

As a side note, Microsoft didn't buy all these IPs so that it could bring them it's own expertise. MS bought them so it could have a solid lineup of first party games, something MS sorely lacked. I doubt Microsoft intends to even attempt to bring change right now. Just not in the cards at this moment, these developers have proven themselves time and time again.

This is the first Bethesda game I've felt any interest in since Fallout 3 frankly. Seems really interesting, but it turned me off a little when I saw the video of Emil Pagliarulo talking about 'good guys' and 'bad guys'. I guess the storyline will probably be a white knight power fantasy for 12 year old boys like every other game this guy has any influence on. Sad. Hopefully the gameplay will save it.

Very much looking forward to it. The setting is right up their alley. I like their aesthetic direction with the NASA punk style. Let's just hope it launches in a better state than FO4 did.

I will wait until the release to get my hand on it and make my opinion :)
(An adventure in the space, I'm already interested...)

Anyway I'm sure that Microsoft wouldn't want a "Starfield 76" as exclusivity on Xbox just before christmas. So I'm rather confident. But not enough to pre-order it for sure... The last time I did it for a Bethesda game, I regretted it badly... Or maybe if I upgrade my Gold to Game pass meanwhile... so it will be "free" anyway :)

" The last time I did it for a Bethesda game, I regretted it badly."

sooooo.... what game was that? Please do not say Falout76.

" The last time I did it for a Bethesda game, I regretted it badly."

sooooo.... what game was that? Please do not say Falout76.
I suppose that I don't need to specify which game it was :D
(It won't stop me to buy a Bethesda game again, mistakes can be made sometimes... but I will be more careful now)

Ugh...
1) it's Bethesda. No reason to be excited.
2) all aboard the hypetrain! Now leaving for disappointment junction!
3) it'll be the epitome of jank.
4) the only reason Bethesda games are loved is because of the mods. It's like getting excited about vanilla ice cream because of all the stuff you can put on it.
5) first person is bad.

Top Bottom