The future of Cyberpunk 2077?

+
Well, after the announcement that CDPR will develop its future games with the new Unreal Engine 5 and consequently will abandon the Red Engine, I think that the future of Cyberpunk 2077 is not promising at all. Although they have stated that they will continue to update it, it is undeniable that game development going forward using the new UE5 raises suspicions that the "lifetime" of CP2077 is short and that all efforts will focus on the new The Witcher. . I know, they will deliver some more updates, content and expansion for CP2077. I would like CDPR to deliver at least two major expansions and a lot of new content. However, I believe that if we have expansion, it will only be one and that is the end of it. The rest is dream. Regrettably, if that happens (and I believe it will), it's a huge waste because there's so much to tell and explore in Night City and beyond. Furthermore, I repeat, the company has officially announced that it is developing a new game in The Witcher saga - which will use UE5. I think the most massive efforts are now focused on this new game. So despite numerous denials by their respective representatives in the media, CP2077, I strongly suspect, will be abandoned by the end of 2022. I don't know what you guys think. I repeat: I want to be wrong. Although...,

I remember that Cyberpunk was announced as "abandoned" by somes before the 1.2 release, before the 1.3 release and before the 1.5/Next-Gen update, so...
Anyway, going to the UE5 doesn't mean that they'll put away any content for Cyberpunk. Not an expert, but adding "new content" doesn't imply any change in the engine itself. So I'm sure we will see, as announced, two expansions, some free DLCs and updates. In short, no change except that the next Witcher game will use UE5 :)

May your words echo in CDPR!:) I really hope the game won't be left out because of the new titles that will use UE5. CP2077 has a lot of potential, a lot of stories to be told, etc. I have a special affection for this game. Contrary to what most gaming "experts" claim, I rate Cyberpunk 2077 as one of the best games ever released in recent years. And I attribute that to its dystopian history, to the remarkable characters. Few games have a story arc as cool as CP2077.

nah, that is like saying they are going to abandoned the witcher because they are changing engines. Obviously as they are making a new witcher with the new engine they are not abandoning it. Same thing with cyberpunk, future cyberpunk games will still be cyberpunk but use the new engine in the same way Fallout and TES continue on but with "new" engines.

However I do have reservations about the modding. I went looking for modding tools for unreal and I am not convinced it will be all that accessible as some seem to think based on the few unreal games that DO have mods that have scripting and games mechanic changes.

And as such they would not be OFFICIAL mod tools from the dev.

On that I hope that I am wrong but I have seen no proof of it yet. We really will not know until it happens. I have this feeling todays game environment with server side content and multiplayer requiring cheat lock out of the engines hard code means the only "powerful" game mech changing mods we get now are illegal or at least NOT made with official tools.

I mean we were teased that we would get official mod tools for fallout 76 how long ago?

Last edited:
I think CP2077 is hugely profitable for them, I think when the expansion is released it will sell well. I think when they consider the games future they will look at those sales figures and go from there but personally I think there is great potantial for huge sales on expansions given how many copies have been sold.

I am currently enjoying total war warhammer 3. the doom and gloom on the CA forums is very reminiscent of the CDPR forums a year+ ago.

The people playing the game and enjoying it are not the ones coming to various places moaning, they are too busy enjoying the game.

This will just be the last Cyberpunk game from RedEngine, future looks all games from CPDR will UE5, so next cyberpunk will hopefully be more optimised and quicker to release dlcs and expansions. Modding scenario will change a bit but not much, UE modding scene is low because lack of games that promote modding, cdpr definitely likes mods so they will leave some stuff for us to use.

One thing to add is that the new Witcher game is not in full scale production yet, thus the people who are needed to work on it, like story authors and engine developers, are (probably) not needed for Cyberpunk 2077 anymore or to such an extent. So, from this perspective I see no threat to the future of Cyberpunk. Also, CDPR has mentioned that they want to develop two games in parallel from now on and I think those two games are the new Witcher and Cyberpunk 2077 for the time being.

However, there are also two negative observations/speculations:
  • CDPR might not fix the REDEngine to an extent they had initially planned, because the focus is now on UE5. This, I consider rather unlikely since I doubt any major fixes to the REDEngine would have made it into Cyberpunk 2077, but rather in their next game(s).
  • On Twitter, Paweł Sasko used the word "expansion", not "expansions" (singular vs. plural), which could be an indicator for Cyberpunk 2077 only getting one instead of two expansions.

Well, after the announcement that CDPR will develop its future games with the new Unreal Engine 5 and consequently will abandon the Red Engine, I think that the future of Cyberpunk 2077 is not promising at all. Although they have stated that they will continue to update it, it is undeniable that game development going forward using the new UE5 raises suspicions that the "lifetime" of CP2077 is short and that all efforts will focus on the new The Witcher. . I know, they will deliver some more updates, content and expansion for CP2077. I would like CDPR to deliver at least two major expansions and a lot of new content. However, I believe that if we have expansion, it will only be one and that is the end of it. The rest is dream. Regrettably, if that happens (and I believe it will), it's a huge waste because there's so much to tell and explore in Night City and beyond. Furthermore, I repeat, the company has officially announced that it is developing a new game in The Witcher saga - which will use UE5. I think the most massive efforts are now focused on this new game. So despite numerous denials by their respective representatives in the media, CP2077, I strongly suspect, will be abandoned by the end of 2022. I don't know what you guys think. I repeat: I want to be wrong. Although...,
I don't think CP2077 will be abandon before it was originally intended to be, not to be understood negatively. Like with the TW3, they released it and then they created some DLCs and expansions and they were done with it more or less. And moved on to new projects like CP.

Even if they decide to move to Unreal, it doesn't mean that the Red engine is dead as a result, it is still what drives CP and for the most part the engine is not what causes the issues with CP as I see it, to the point where it is useless. Far from it, we are not talking Bethesda quality engine here :)

So I think they will release the expansions as they said for CP, equally to what they did with TW3, at least that was what they originally said they would. And when those are done, I think they might either, drop the engine and "permanently" move to Unreal or they might develop it in the background for future use.

The reason for this, I think is more of a strategic decision than anything else. The Unreal engine is very good and you have a huge experienced dedicated team constantly working and improving it. Which will save CDPR a lot of development time having to create their own engine and therefore be able to focus on creating their games instead, because creating a game engine is not a cheap task.
So even if they have to pay royalties to Unreal, it might not really cost them a lot more than having to create their own engine and maintain it.
Another benefit might be that more people are experienced in working with Unreal compared to having to train them in the Red engine, which also cost time and money.
We have seen how many issues these things can cause with the Frostbite engine for example and Mass Effect Andromeda and if im not mistaken Anthem ran into similar issues also having to be developed on that engine.

Finally, looking at Unreal and what it can do, we have the Matrix demo etc. and it seems to be able to handle the type of games that CDPR wants to make very well. Obviously time will tell whether it will work or not, but without really knowing it, it does seem to be a good choice in my opinion.

But I wouldn't be worried about CP being dropped prematurely, due to that. I assume most of CDPR employees are well educated and experienced in working with the Red engine to complete those expansions for CP.

The next CP game might very well be created in Unreal, if it turns out to have improved the development of the TW game.

From my point of view, Cyberpunk 2077 has "no" future. I don't make a connection with the use of UE5 for future games though, because it was already "dropped prematurely" the day it was decided to release it way too early.

Don't get me wrong : we'll get the promised expansion, about which we still have no information almost a year and a half after the release of the game (whereas for TW3, both expansions were already released 1 year after the release and some even consider them to be better than the game itself), but nothing more.

Of course, there are DLC, but compare the regularity of releases and the number of DLC for TW3 and Cyberpunk 2077. Even the addition of apartments is not interesting since they have no use : you can't customize them and nothing happens there, whereas it was an opportunity to create a story for each apartment and to link it to at least one new mini-quest. Until 1.52, CD Projekt has mostly fixed bugs, and I don't think the next updates will be different as the game is still full of bugs. One could even consider that the game was still in early access until the release of the 1.5 update (considering the character's shadow or the lack of water effects for example).

In conclusion, the game will remain the same.

That's a relatively pessimistic view on the surface, but I'm still very excited to see what the expansion, the only one we'll get for sure, will look like in the future, but I don't think it's going to come out until November or December 2022, which is two years after the game's release. And once it's out, the game will be "finished", there won't be anything after that (except maybe patches to fix bugs related to the expansion).

All that is just a personal feeling of course, not even a criticism, because I sincerely believe that CD Projekt should leave Cyberpunk 2077 behind now and move on. And adopting UE5 as the new engine may be a good new start if they manage to keep their creative mind.

I strongly suspect there will only be one (albeit large) expansion and CP2077 will be put to bed by the end of the year, not sure what the distribution of staff/developers is on these projects right now but I imagine CP2077 is now not their highest priority.

Coming in 2027: Cyberpunk 2077 UE5 edition!

Well no one knows it. I`m pretty sure that even suits in CDPR dont know how many expansions they will release. It mostly depends on number of sales and general vibe which reflects future potential. I`m quite optimistic - 1.5 turned things around in many ways and not so many people write hate posts about CP2077 so I think at premiere of first expansion people will be looking into story and rpg elements more than being focused on bugs, T poses etc.

If it will be success than I dont see why they woudnt release another expansion after a year. I`m sure its much easier to work on CP2077 now with working engine and experience of devs - next Witcher will be at least 2-3 years from now so there is a nice gap to fill during that period.

Long term I`m sure that next Cyberpunk will be on UE5 but thats far future.

I wonder if Cyberpunk 2077 could look exactly the same if it where made with the new Unreal engine instead of the red engine, without any difference in but perhaps even better performance.

Say they rework it.. then over night there comes a huge update to version 1.6 and the engine changed, would we find out the difference without gettingh told?

I wonder if Cyberpunk 2077 could look exactly the same if it where made with the new Unreal engine instead of the red engine, without any difference in but perhaps even better performance.
It could depend I suppose :)
ARK use UE4 but performance wise, it was never "great" (even very bad^^). Crashes, bugs, high-end PCs almost required (at time) and I don't talk about performances on consoles...
So a "good engine" don't do everything anyway.

Guest 3847602

I strongly suspect there will only be one (albeit large) expansion and CP2077 will be put to bed by the end of the year, not sure what the distribution of staff/developers is on these projects right now but I imagine CP2077 is now not their highest priority.
That's my guess as well. Similar situation to Dragon Age 2 - final expansion (Exalted March) was canceled and various parts of it were reincorporated into the sequel which used entirely new engine.

That's my guess as well. Similar situation to Dragon Age 2 - final expansion (Exalted March) was canceled and various parts of it were reincorporated into the sequel which used entirely new engine.
Maybe I'm wrong (not really aware of DA2), but I suppose when Bioware decided to cancel the expansion, they already "work" on DAI (with "only" 3 and half years between both release, it seem quite obvious to me).

In case of Cyberpunk, maybe I'm also wrong, but if a sequel is planned for Cyberpunk, even a year and hakf after the release, it's only "on papers" :)

I'm happier if they throw out 2077 expansion ASAP, cancel multiplayer, and finally move on to the Witcher 4 full time. With no multiplayer. Then they can go back to cyberpunk with a sequel aiming for 2032-5.

Top Bottom