Anyone thinking Cyberpunk would be better game without rpg elements

+
My impression is even the most loyal fans simply tolerated it and enjoyed the game for it's story, characters, quests.
Indeed it's your impression ;)
But honestly, its not the only game which have leveled area, leveled enemies, leveled stuff,... And not only RPGs. In my case, it don't bother me and even, I'm like it (And I hope, I'm not alone^^). It's true in many games with this kind of system, and there are a lot :)

Edit : I agree with @Notserious80, more RPG than less, for sure^^ (Cyberpunk without RPG elements > GTA-Like, which is not good at all if you ask me...)

Im curious on how much input Mike Pondsmith actually had with the making of CP77. As a die hard old school player of the table top CP2020, i am disappointed with the lack of proper character roles that V could have been. I do really enjoy CP77 but it'd be a novel of critiques if I were to get right into it.

That's actually a quote from the guy who developed the Realistic Combat Overhaul mod. I had similar experiences though. For example, I still remember how I had no problem with story mission where you deal with enemies of the same gang, but a gig in the neighborhood with the same type of enemies that I did afterwards was very hard. These enemies probably had a much higher level, sure, but it still broke my immersion. And that's the second sin in my book:
Yeah I can relate to that as well. I thought I was indestructible in the starting area and headed south across the bridge post chip quest and I took one guy out courtesy of jumping off the cliff sneak kill and nearly gunned down by other two guys. Fighting valintinos early on really got me realistizing I'm outta my league here. But anyways... the guys earlier with the cliff jump were just tyger claws! Honestly... I kinda saw this as a fun challenge..
No i didn't! I was totally pissed off when I ran away from overpowered skavs with my tail between my legs! It would have been neat if they maybe looked tougher...? I dunno... Fancier outfits? Better gear? I like that people in these gangs vary in difficulty cause it shows they aren't all at the same level. It would be cool if the power levels varied more like throw in a couple weaklings in with these stronger guys. Maybe make the stronger gangers look more menacing/important.

Maybe because their previous and greatest success was based on this system (exactly), a game named The Witcher 3 - Wild Hunt (bandits in White Orchad are level 1-5 and if you go directly at the north of Novigrad, the same "type" of bandits will be level 30-35...)
But I suppose those who have a problem with this system on Cyberpunk should feel the same on TW3 :)

I didn't like that in TW3 either, yes. And if I remember correctly that is not an aspect of the game that was praised far and wide at the time either.

I'd say the major differences for me here is that in CP2077, combat is much more fun to begin with, so I mind such a progression system interfering with my fun more. First person shooter gameplay is also more immediate, more direct than 3rd person sword-and-sorcery gameplay. And there are more shooters with good gameplay that serve as frame of reference.

From a narrative point of view, there should be close-to-zero numbers-based progression in either game anyway. Geralt was already a seasoned witcher at his peak. The story Cyberpunk plays within a timespan of a month or so, you can't improve your skills much in such a short period.

And there are more shooters with good gameplay that serve as frame of reference.
Cyberpunk is not really a "shooter" ;)
For me, it's a story driven game with RPG elements and with a "shooter" gameplay (in the same way as if you should think that Fallout should be a "shooter", indeed it's not and it's not as good as a proper shooter...). So if you expect a "shooter" from CDPR in Cyberpunk, it was a mistake because they don't make shooter (and maybe never will...)

Cyberpunk is not really a "shooter" ;)
For me, it's a story driven game with RPG elements and with a "shooter" gameplay (in the same way as if you should think that Fallout should be a "shooter", indeed it's not and it's not as good as a proper shooter...). So if you expect a "shooter" from CDPR in Cyberpunk, it was a mistake because they don't make shooter (and maybe never will...)
What? CP77 is definitely 100% a shooter with rpg elements tacked on. Hell, the gun play in CP77 is better then most modern FPS games

If a game is defined by its gameplay first, C2077 is definitely a shooter. Even if you can roleplay it, it doesn't mean it's a RPG. Many video games and boardgames could be roleplayed, that doesn't mean they are RPG. It's just a personal way to enjoy a game, it doesn't change the nature of the game.
For sure, as many videogames now include attributes and perks, even if they are mechanics inspired by RPG, it isn't enough to call them RPGs.
Considering that, I agree that C2077 is an immersive sim shooter, so definitely a shooter.
On the contrary, every game which include guns is not a shooter. If you look at Fallout gameplay, even in action sequences, with percentages and localisation, the game is definitely a RPG, not a shooter at all, even if Fallout 2 is a deeper RPG than the next games.

What? CP77 is definitely 100% a shooter with rpg elements tacked on. Hell, the gun play in CP77 is better then most modern FPS games
No, Cyberpunk 2077 is similiar to Mass Effect and of course The Witcher and many other RPGs with real time combat (instead of tactical combat or real time combat with pause). A shooter for example would not have dialogue options or the possibility to sell loot and buy equipment.

While I agree that some of the RPG elements could use a change, I wouldn't play the game without many of them.

Stats: If you don't have these, what would you use?

Skills: Same as above...if you don't have a skill tree and skill progression, how do you improve your character?

Gear: I'd like a couple of QoL changes in this area (we have a Perk that auto-disassembles junk, so why not one that can do the same for Common gear like guns and grenades?) but other than that, you don't really have an RPG without gear.

Leveled Loot: This is strictly a balance thing. Without it, every character would have all the best loot by level 10 or so (thanks to youtubers telling us where it is) or ALL of the loot would have to be totally random (so grinding for the best would be the norm). While I'm not keen on the idea of a pair of shoes that I can't put on until level 32, would changing this be worth the effort at this point?

Levels of opponents: Right now, I can start a new game, travel to someplace where all the bad guys have little skulls over them and get smoked in under ten seconds. It makes sense that you're not going to be able to take on every foe right away and I think the game reflects that rather well.

An RPG IS an RPG because of many of the elements you'd like to get rid of. I honestly don't know how you'd have a game without them.

No, Cyberpunk 2077 is similiar to Mass Effect and of course The Witcher and many other RPGs with real time combat (instead of tactical combat or real time combat with pause). A shooter for example would not have dialogue options or the possibility to sell loot and buy equipment.
Have you even played Mass Effect or The Witcher because your response clearly shows you haven't. CP77 plays like neither of those games in any form

Like @Caranfang said,
Story driven games with real time combat and RPG elements (more or less, it doesn't matter) :
  • Mass Effect
  • Outer Worlds
  • Fallout
  • Deus Ex
Shooters :
  • Borderlands
  • Metro Exodus
  • Doom
  • Wolfenstein
And I played Mass Effect, since day one (I finished my last playthrough a week ago...) and TW3 too, indeed :D

Like @Caranfang said,
Story driven games with real time combat and RPG elements (more or less, it doesn't matter) :
  • Mass Effect
  • Outer Worlds
  • Fallout
  • Deus Ex
Shooters :
  • Borderlands
  • Metro Exodus
  • Doom
  • Wolfenstein
And I played Mass Effect, since day one (I finished my last playthrough a week ago...) and TW3 too, indeed :D
Outer Worlds is a shooter

Have you even played Mass Effect or The Witcher because your response clearly shows you haven't. CP77 plays like neither of those games in any form
Sorry, but I have played both Mass Effect and the witcher and these are clearly RPGs. You can play Mass Effect as a shooter but then all dialogues are reduced to cut scenes.

Sorry, but I have played both Mass Effect and the witcher and these are clearly RPGs. You can play Mass Effect as a shooter but then all dialogues are reduced to cut scenes.
Mass Effect is a 3rd person action RPG. The Witcher is a 3rd person action RPG.

Like @Caranfang said,
  • Mass Effect
  • Outer Worlds
  • Fallout
  • Deus Ex
Shooters :
  • Borderlands
  • Metro Exodus
  • Doom
  • Wolfenstein
Mass Effect and Fallout have pause mechanic. They don't have full real time combat. (I think I may be wrong concerning ME, can't remember)
And C2077 gameplay shares many points with Borderlands or Metro Exodus. And even could with Wolfenstein if they made an open world Wolfenstein.

Last edited:
Top Bottom