What to do About Sigvald

+
I have to be honest — I love the recently redesigned Sigvald card. And this despite missing the card that was taken away — a card I used extensively.

That said, I agree with critics that it is badly overpowered in some situations. So in the spirit of “fixing” the card without destroying it, I want to describe what I like about the card, to explain why I think it can be overpowered, and then to propose a change that keeps the card interesting while making it less abusive.

I like the card because it significantly contributes to both the strategy and the tactics of the game. It encourages creative plays and combinations. As a natural damage absorber/diffuser, it interacts richly with cards like Cerys: Fearless and Knute the Callous. Moreover, it has defensive, preemptive potential against some of the most pernicious uses of removal.

I think the big imbalancer in the card is it’s ability to transfer massive amounts of bleeding into either boost or damage to an opponent — not only does it dilute a significant disadvantage (substantial amounts of personal damage), it transforms that disadvantage into an advantage (boost or inflicted damage).

I propose, as a solution, that Sigvald’s order ability simply be removed — the interesting aspects of the card don’t need it and the broken aspects depend upon it. I realize this significantly weakens the card. It also changes the card from deck centerpiece to an interesting support card. As such, it is possible to tinker with power or provisions to prevent killing the card.

Top Bottom