Upgraded roadmap speculation

+
I've been following the news around the development of the newer updates and trying to form my own opinions with what little was able to be gathered... and frankly I've been wrong about the timing many times if you read my past posts... but I still don't think any of the core ideas have been wrong.

Especially the speculation from CDPR that says that they're not willing to disclose which franchise will get multiplayer sooner, even though it all seemed pretty obvious that Cyberpunk would be the first.

When I heard the news about downscaling I was little puzzled, as it's been known for at least 10 months by now how CDPR has been silently (well it's in their jobs page) recruiting people to work on their online multiplayer experience.

With the new updated roadmap I think I could figure out the "confusion" with what was being presented in both scenarios.

1650183819533.png

When you look at the old roadmap, it appears to only show the work directly aimed at finishing the quests, as probably portion of the work was already done from voice work and acting even possibly prior to release, but because of the launch and reorganizing the staff, considering the launch of Witcher and it's 4 months leading to first expansion, it seems all to indicate that this expansion is vastly larger in scale and in ambition, even with the 1 year delay until even patch 1.5 came out, and the expansion is still 1 year off.

So what could explain this change in roadmap? Well... perhaps the multiplayer was not originally intended (or intentionally hidden for PR reasons, since CDPR is single player focused company) as something that would be directly connected to the expansion.

Due to some outrage in the community, what was considered as part of the expansion might have been shifted and now is showing the work done on BOTH expansion and the multiplayer.

So the last bar could look something like this if my theory is correct.
1650184303935.png

Considering all the prior statements where CDPR considered multiplayer to be it's own independent production, and how it's been in the works for close to 3 and half years, it'd be fair to assume it could've gained tremendous steam as it's clearly something that could gain a large attraction if implemented correctly.

Especially with the announced delay to the next year, where some speculations (Tyler McVicker, IGN) were stating that Expansion would be out this summer... this strongly seems to indicate that work was delayed, partly due to what's happening in the world, partly with the Witcher 3 being taken back into their wings to finish, maybe some other factors that could be linked with other development... to get that all ready to make a big punch next year.

So what do you think? Was it just a simple calculation error, or was there something else that caused them to reconsider the sizes of each development size? Am I completely off the grid and just waving my hands and screaming at the void, or is there some logic to what I'm saying?

I think it might be entirely possible that vast amount of work on expansion has been already finished or close to being finished, so there's no requirement for all the staff to work on the hand/head/body/walk animations for each quest and cutscene (if they're going to try to do it in 3rd person angle, where there's been some speculation due to the job listing that 3rd person is being worked on) and most of the remaining work is for some more technical that requires still few more patches to execute correctly... like car customization garages vehicle combat (as shown by the vehicle combat mod, but likely requires a lot of work with the controller support), gangs engaging in combat and police chases... races, minigames etc...

Last edited:
Keep in mind this map doesn't include March and April. So, I think the bar could get bigger. Another reason to keep in mind is as to why the expansion was "delayed" (they technically never gave a release window, btw), is that the remaining free dlc isn't out yet. Though I am kinda surprised they gave this news so early. I wonder what happens if production goes well? Does it come out 'early'?

Keep in mind this map doesn't include March and April. So, I think the bar could get bigger. Another reason to keep in mind is as to why the expansion was "delayed" (they technically never gave a release window, btw), is that the remaining free dlc isn't out yet. Though I am kinda surprised they gave this news so early. I wonder what happens if production goes well? Does it come out 'early'?

I can't think of a single game that released early because it was finished earlier than anticipated. It only means more time to polish the finished product. Iron out bugs that may remain, fine tune some systems, maybe throw in a few extra goodies, etc.

I'm assuming that they are pretty certain of their 2023 release and that a large portion of the work is already done. Considering the base game's launch and it's woes, they'd better use any extra time they have to polish it.

I can't think of a single game that released early because it was finished earlier than anticipated. It only means more time to polish the finished product. Iron out bugs that may remain, fine tune some systems, maybe throw in a few extra goodies, etc.

I'm assuming that they are pretty certain of their 2023 release and that a large portion of the work is already done. Considering the base game's launch and it's woes, they'd better use any extra time they have to polish it.
That's kinda wondering why they would need an entire year just for bug fixes and polish, if it's safe to assume the expansion is basically done.
I can think of a couple, but it was only a few days maybe a week.

That's kinda wondering why they would need an entire year just for bug fixes and polish, if it's safe to assume the expansion is basically done.
I can think of a couple, but it was only a few days maybe a week.

Note that I didn't say I thought the expansion was basically done. I said a large portion and I chose those words carefully. I have no doubt there is plenty more to do if they don't think they can release before 2023. Without a more specific release date it's even harder to hazard a guess of course.

Madae

Forum veteran
It took Rockstar a long time to implement Online play. I just can't see CDPR not trying for multiplayer at some point. Outside of modding, multiplayer is the best for sure way to guarantee longevity. Joining a faction and battling others for dominance would be great. Throw in character customization and it's a winning recipe, imo. Be modded like Maelstrom, tatt'd like the Tyger Claws, roided like the Animals, etc etc.

Early as in early in the 2023 release window - possibly. Early as in before the stated release window - no.

I think it might be entirely possible that vast amount of work on expansion has been already finished or close to being finished, so there's no requirement for all the staff to work on the hand/head/body/walk animations for each quest and cutscene (if they're going to try to do it in 3rd person angle, where there's been some speculation due to the job listing that 3rd person is being worked on) and most of the remaining work is for some more technical that requires still few more patches to execute correctly... like car customization garages vehicle combat (as shown by the vehicle combat mod, but likely requires a lot of work with the controller support), gangs engaging in combat and police chases... races, minigames etc...
I need to stop you right here just to manage expectations. There won't be 3rd person to coming to the expansion and there won't be 3rd person coming to Cyberpunk 2077 anymore, that ship has sailed. There might be some changes in the game's mechanics but please do not think too large, otherwise you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

I doubt the expansion is as far progressed as you think it is, otherwise they would release it sooner.

I

I doubt the expansion is as far progressed as you think it is, otherwise they would release it sooner.

I dunno, it just seems that two years seems like a long time to be working on a expansion that would be 3 (I'm assuming it's coming out in Q1 '23) when fully done. Yes, they spendt 2021 mainly bug fixing, but they where obviously working on the expansion too.

I dunno, it just seems that two years seems like a long time to be working on a expansion that would be 3 (I'm assuming it's coming out in Q1 '23) when fully done. Yes, they spendt 2021 mainly bug fixing, but they where obviously working on the expansion too.
Yes, but probably in a much more reduced capacity due to many developers being focused on fixing the base game to a certain extent. Also, there was quite a high employee turnover (apparently), which means new people getting accustomed with the tools and the projects which takes time. Maybe they also changed the expansion while working on it, because some things did not work as expected or they want to do something different. While I do assume there has always been a rough outline for at least two expansions when Cyberpunk 2077 was released, the main focused shifted gradually after the release of the game and also after all the bugfixes.

Not to mention the few extraordinary events that happened throughout the last two years that slowed down/have an impact on development. Like the hack of early 2021 that effectively stopped development for a while. Or more recently, the war in Ukraine which definitely hits far closer to home for CDPR's developers than it does for the vast majority of us.

There are numerous reason for the expansion to take this long. There is also the possibility that they don't consider the base game to be where it's supposed to be in order to dump more content in it. Maybe they do intend to solidify the foundation during 2022. I'm disappointed we won't see new, meaningful, content in 2022 but at least it should arrive in a much better state the the original game did.

I've been following the news around the development of the newer updates and trying to form my own opinions with what little was able to be gathered... and frankly I've been wrong about the timing many times if you read my past posts... but I still don't think any of the core ideas have been wrong.

Especially the speculation from CDPR that says that they're not willing to disclose which franchise will get multiplayer sooner, even though it all seemed pretty obvious that Cyberpunk would be the first.

When I heard the news about downscaling I was little puzzled, as it's been known for at least 10 months by now how CDPR has been silently (well it's in their jobs page) recruiting people to work on their online multiplayer experience.

With the new updated roadmap I think I could figure out the "confusion" with what was being presented in both scenarios.

View attachment 11301070

When you look at the old roadmap, it appears to only show the work directly aimed at finishing the quests, as probably portion of the work was already done from voice work and acting even possibly prior to release, but because of the launch and reorganizing the staff, considering the launch of Witcher and it's 4 months leading to first expansion, it seems all to indicate that this expansion is vastly larger in scale and in ambition, even with the 1 year delay until even patch 1.5 came out, and the expansion is still 1 year off.

So what could explain this change in roadmap? Well... perhaps the multiplayer was not originally intended (or intentionally hidden for PR reasons, since CDPR is single player focused company) as something that would be directly connected to the expansion.

Due to some outrage in the community, what was considered as part of the expansion might have been shifted and now is showing the work done on BOTH expansion and the multiplayer.

So the last bar could look something like this if my theory is correct.
View attachment 11301073

Considering all the prior statements where CDPR considered multiplayer to be it's own independent production, and how it's been in the works for close to 3 and half years, it'd be fair to assume it could've gained tremendous steam as it's clearly something that could gain a large attraction if implemented correctly.

Especially with the announced delay to the next year, where some speculations (Tyler McVicker, IGN) were stating that Expansion would be out this summer... this strongly seems to indicate that work was delayed, partly due to what's happening in the world, partly with the Witcher 3 being taken back into their wings to finish, maybe some other factors that could be linked with other development... to get that all ready to make a big punch next year.

So what do you think? Was it just a simple calculation error, or was there something else that caused them to reconsider the sizes of each development size? Am I completely off the grid and just waving my hands and screaming at the void, or is there some logic to what I'm saying?

They accidentally switched the other projects and cyberpunk expansion numbers around. That's it.

I need to stop you right here just to manage expectations. There won't be 3rd person to coming to the expansion and there won't be 3rd person coming to Cyberpunk 2077 anymore, that ship has sailed. There might be some changes in the game's mechanics but please do not think too large, otherwise you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

I agree, but why would that camera programmer job include 3rd person for Cyberpunk? Doesn't make sense.

I agree, but why would that camera programmer job include 3rd person for Cyberpunk? Doesn't make sense.

The jobs could very well be referencing Cyberpunk 2077 as a franchise, not as a stand alone game. Not saying that is what is happening - but that could be the explanation if third person doesn't come to the game. If it doesn't, it appears it will be in Cyberpunk 2.

Maybe also V's reflexions and shadows. At least it make as much sense as adding 3rd person view in a game in "first person view only".
But I don't want to break all hopes for those who dream about a 3rd person view in the game, so... Who know :D

Maybe also V's reflexions and shadows. At least it make as much sense as adding 3rd person view in a game in "first person view only".
But I don't want to break all hopes for those who dream about a 3rd person view in the game, so... Who know :D
I think this is the reason tbh. Would be the easiest way too make clothes and looks matter ingame. The shadows are pretty nice now with hair and all but not reflecting anything is really odd. vampire V.

I think this is the reason tbh. Would be the easiest way too make clothes and looks matter ingame. The shadows are pretty nice now with hair and all but not reflecting anything is really odd. vampire V.
Yep, that's my guess :)
For the shadows, the "graphics" look better, but the "animations" and poses, it's not that great yet. But like they said in the 1.3 livestream, it's little step by little step.

Yep, that's my guess :)
For the shadows, the "graphics" look better, but the "animations" and poses, it's not that great yet. But like they said in the 1.3 livestream, it's little step by little step.
Yea the animations can be hard too fix without a proper 3 person model i think. same with reflections. If you change the FOV too above 100 you will se that the arms are really oddly shaped too fit the arms into the picture when holding a weapon or so on. The model wasent a complete model since it wasent made for 3d person. Could be that there working on getting it fixed now and that would made reflections and shadows easier too fix.

The jobs could very well be referencing Cyberpunk 2077 as a franchise, not as a stand alone game. Not saying that is what is happening - but that could be the explanation if third person doesn't come to the game. If it doesn't, it appears it will be in Cyberpunk 2.

Then, wouldn't they just say Cyberpunk series?

Top Bottom