DON'T care for more DLCs; I Just want npcs with better interaction mechanics and a more Beefy Ai

+
Its good? How. Give icecream or flowers to NPC, or talk with them about some nonsense. Really. Nobody does that in real life either.

There is no denying that it can add to immersion if done right. Of course, it depends on the kind of interactions we're talking about.

Still, that wasn't the point of my earlier post.

It would be nice having followers/companions that follow V around everywhere, we should be able to customize their gender, look, stats, skills, clothing, weapons etc. just everything. Give the follower many lines that can be spoken, reactions to what we do etc. and the whole game would feel more immersive already. Just adding a simple follower.

But i got the feeling that is not possible, with the bad AI the game has. Or maybe it is, it would be a nice thing to have. It just doesn't make much sense doing most of the jobs completly alone anyway.

If it can't be a human companion, it could also just be a robot or a drone or something, maybe that would be easier to add it into the game.

I mean sure Silverhand is sort of our companion, but he isn't physically "there", i mean he can't help us shoot bad guys etc. yeah this would be the one thing that gives the game the extra touch that it needs.

It would be nice having followers/companions that follow V around everywhere, we should be able to customize their gender, look, stats, skills, clothing, weapons etc. just everything. Give the follower many lines that can be spoken, reactions to what we do etc. and the whole game would feel more immersive already. Just adding a simple follower.

But i got the feeling that is not possible, with the bad AI the game has. Or maybe it is, it would be a nice thing to have. It just doesn't make much sense doing most of the jobs completly alone anyway.
Just for the red part, it's already damn expansive... 11 languages availables, so 11 voices actors for only one NPC :)

I actually want less NPC interaction., wish it was super selfish universe. I see it all the time people think Cyberpunk is GTA/real world. Dating, Cop Chases. NPC interaction. This is one reason why I hope Expansion focuses on Media.
Post automatically merged:

Its good? How. Give icecream or flowers to NPC, or talk with them about some nonsense. Really. Nobody does that in real life either.

In CP77 there are a ton of gigs where V just goes and gets/steals something again and again and again, and often killing a heap of people in the process too. That's not very realistic either, nor immersive since V often kills gang members, and those gangs don't seem to care afterwards. But it is just a game after all, and there was only so much CDPR could do with the engine and the time given.

CP77 actually has few NPC interactions (outside of main quests) since there's only a few shops and characters to talk to. Sure V's phone is always ringing (its only missing Roman asking if they want to go bowling) but really, V is often left alone in the world. Even Johnny only chimes in every now and again outside of the main story.

If it can't be a human companion, it could also just be a robot or a drone or something, maybe that would be easier to add it into the game.

I mean sure Silverhand is sort of our companion, but he isn't physically "there", i mean he can't help us shoot bad guys etc. yeah this would be the one thing that gives the game the extra touch that it needs.
This is supposed to be a story about solitude in a crowded place, though... I think companions is one of the suggestions that comes up that would actually break the story. It is the opposite of what the game is trying to say.

This is absolutely not Skyrim where you can do anything you damned well like, with a truly pointless and awfully written main quest that demonstrates that to Bethesda open world sandbox is always given primacy over storytelling.

Bethesda are very good at the latter, and have never pretended otherwise, but they build their games and their janky main quests around that ethos. The plot of Skyrim basically is "there are some racists and some conquerors fighting and some dragons, discuss if desired". It's not exactly deep and even then there is literally no consequence to getting to the end. That "who cares" plotting gives their games the flexibility to allow players to mess about in so many different ways.

It's also worth noting that Bethesda usually casts the player as *the motivator* of the game's events, not *the subject matter* of the game's events. That's not by accident -- it means that the player can detach themselves from the story when wanted because it isn't *their* story.

CDPR build their games around the story first and foremost and so the stories are told more tightly, with the player character in the middle of it all, and in a way that is much, much less forgiving to "play any way you like, marry the big bad, become master of every guild in town and watch with wonderment that it makes not the blindest bit of difference, do the same quest a thousand times and see it reset" mechanics. "Non-essential" gameplay has to line up with and must not contradict the core sense of the story.

Last edited:
While the game is about loneliness in a modern, highly urbanised society, it also tells the story of how several lonely people become closer to each other out of need. In this context, an occasional companion or companions are possible without breaking the coherence of the story. On the contrary, it would allow for further reflection on loneliness.

Just my two cents but it does appear they are minimizing CP more and more and gearing towards a shift over to Witcher. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they cancelled the DLC sometime close to 2023. And those of you who don't agree, look at Anthem. Devs made a lot of promises about the roadmap and even told everyone how they're going to overhaul the game. Months later the game was cancelled and support was completely removed.

While the game is about loneliness in a modern, highly urbanised society, it also tells the story of how several lonely people become closer to each other out of need. In this context, an occasional companion or companions are possible without breaking the coherence of the story. On the contrary, it would allow for further reflection on loneliness.
I agree with this but that is already in the game in the form of the romances, the cat (and iguana), Johnny, misty, etc. I don't think the mechanic of a random tagalong customised by the player would add anything and, indeed, I think it would make the core messages of the game seem slightly ludicrous.

"Here is V's profoundly personal struggle, and here is V's sidekick" just feels really weird, especially given the loss of an earlier character is supposed to mean something.

And those of you who don't agree, look at Anthem. Devs made a lot of promises about the roadmap and even told everyone how they're going to overhaul the game. Months later the game was cancelled and support was completely removed.
This :
Regardless of the game's critical response or anyone's personal opinion, it's still at the very least a commercial success. 18+ million copies is nothing to laugh at. Most AAA title don't sell that much.

Any expansion has great revenu potential.
Cyberpunk is not Anthem ;)

Just my two cents but it does appear they are minimizing CP more and more and gearing towards a shift over to Witcher. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they cancelled the DLC sometime close to 2023. And those of you who don't agree, look at Anthem. Devs made a lot of promises about the roadmap and even told everyone how they're going to overhaul the game. Months later the game was cancelled and support was completely removed.

A few things, 1 CDPR is not EA, 2. The amount of work they've put into fixing the game and the Free DLCs is massive compared to Anthem, and much better received than anthem. 3. The "delay" of the "Expansion"(not to be confused with free DLC) is not surprising considering how much work went into patch 1.5 and fixing the foundations of the game.

Now It's possible the expected 2nd expansion gets cancelled if the first one does not do well. But with the amount of work that went into the game and the amount of work they've allegedly already put into Expansion 1... Plus 18 millions copies sold, Plus a recent surge in purchases/player count since 1.5 It is EXTREMELY UNLIKELY that they don't at least put out the already planed free DLC and Expansion 1 to see if they can continue to grow the franchise.

Also CP is intended as a "Flagship Franchise". With all the sequel possibilities and the fact that people actually want more, they won't abandon the property completely. CP2077 may never be what everyone expected/wanted but There is no way they just bail on it there is too much interest and too much money to leave on the table.

On top of what everyone else mentioned, here is the most important distinction in my opinion:

Anthem was meant to be a live service game. It was built from the ground up to generate revenue through a constant stream of new content generating a constant stream of revenue. The second you don't reach your player count objective (which Anthem didn't reach) your entire plan starts unraveling. Then you throw the issues the game had at launch on top of that and it was obvious that EA would can it. EA being EA and all. It was just not going to achieve what it was meant to do anytime soon.

CDPR's model is profoundly different.

In CP77 there are a ton of gigs where V just goes and gets/steals something again and again and again, and often killing a heap of people in the process too. That's not very realistic either, nor immersive since V often kills gang members, and those gangs don't seem to care afterwards. But it is just a game after all, and there was only so much CDPR could do with the engine and the time given.

CP77 actually has few NPC interactions (outside of main quests) since there's only a few shops and characters to talk to. Sure V's phone is always ringing (its only missing Roman asking if they want to go bowling) but really, V is often left alone in the world. Even Johnny only chimes in every now and again outside of the main story.

I just hate realism word. Cyberpunk is fictional universe, even a bit of Fantasy. GTA is more realism whereas, Cyberpunk is more on fiction/fantasy. I view Cyberpunk more as Star Wars.

NPC interactions turns it more into real life.

I agree with this but that is already in the game in the form of the romances, the cat (and iguana), Johnny, misty, etc.
I didn't know there already were companions in the game. I should relaunch the game to try this, it must be great to eliminate voodoo boys with your iguana ! :)

Disappointment... "in the form" means that is not already in the game. I should have read better. Sorry.

The fact is V chooses to be alone for the reasons we know by doing all the contrats of NC alone while he/she could work with other mercs and netrunners. Companions could easily be optional passing mercs, like Crispin Weyland, to which one does not get attached, simply work colleagues. There are so many ways to implement such mechanics, but of course, if it wasn't in the base game, it won't happen. But there are or were possibilities.

Last edited:
Maybe, but such feature would have required a complete rebalancing. The game would need to be built from the ground up with this system in mind.
Not at all.
It's not like the game is balanced at this point. In most cases, you either run over the enemies or they oneshot you, with no way to predict it. And the invincible enemies bug isn't there to help that.
Some games are designed to have the companion system at the heart of the gameplay (ME for example), in others, although there is a companion system, you can do without it and play alone without unbalancing the game (Skyrim for example, which is not an example of balanced game neither). There are always plenty of solutions and possibilities, you just have to look for them and think about them.
An optional companion system is quite possible. In fact, there are even short experiments with them, for example in some missions with Panam or in the final mission. But, as has been pointed out, the AI is not the strong point of the game (the way the VIPs to be extracted in some contrats behave is a clear example), so it is probably this parameter that has put aside the idea of a companion system, however light it may be.

But what does it matter, as we have said several times, there is no companion system in C2077. On that we agree.

Last edited:
Some games are designed to have the companion system at the heart of the gameplay (ME for example), in others, although there is a companion system, you can do without it and play alone without unbalancing the game (Skyrim for example, which is not an example of balanced game neither). There are always plenty of solutions and possibilities, you just have to look for them and think about them.
Anyway, like @northwold already said it, it doesn't fit with the story written by CDPR.
Johnny>alone, Judy>alone, Kerry>alone, Panam>alone, River>alone, Hanako>alone, Yorinobu>alone, cyberpsychos>alone, V>alone and so on.
Unlike ME for example, where Shepard must build a team to fight against overpowered enemies.
So it make no sense (for me at least) to have a "companion".

Guest 3847602

An optional companion system is quite possible. In fact, there are even short experiments with them, for example in some missions with Panam or in the final mission. But, as has been pointed out, the AI is not the strong point of the game (the way the VIPs to be extracted in some contrats behave is a clear example), so it is probably this parameter that has put aside the idea of a companion system, however light it may be.
Yes, it's partially because of the AI, mostly because stealth is a perfectly viable option for 99% of missions in this game.
There's the reason why there are no companions in Hitman or Deus Ex games. It's next to impossible to combine open ended-level design, stealth and companions and end up with something that doesn't frustrate the players.
Some games are designed to have the companion system at the heart of the gameplay (ME for example), in others, although there is a companion system, you can do without it and play alone without unbalancing the game (Skyrim for example, which is not an example of balanced game neither).
I had former in mind. I'm not really interested in the system where primary purpose of the companion is to be mobile storage chest.

Anyway, like @northwold already said it, it doesn't fit with the story written by CDPR.
Johnny>alone, Judy>alone, Kerry>alone, Panam>alone, River>alone, Hanako>alone, Yorinobu>alone, cyberpsychos>alone, V>alone and so on.
Unlike ME for example, where Shepard must build a team to fight against overpowered enemies.
So it make no sense (for me at least) to have a "companion".
Anyway, like I already said it, it can fit with the story written by CDPR : lonely people who get closer to each other / we play a merc who fulfills contrats, temporary collaboration with other mercenaries would be quite coherent, as V did with Jackie. We can go on like this for a long time. :D And having temporary companions can very well reinforce the feeling of loneliness. It just depends on how you implement it and how it is written. And we all know that CDPR is very good at writing stories and relationships.
I had former in mind. I'm not really interested in the system where primary purpose of the companions is to be mobile storage chest.
My point was that there is not one and only one companion system, but that there are an infinite number of possible companion systems, and that each time, you just have to make it fit the game, make it consistent with the game. I never wrote that the companion system from Skyrim should be transferred to Cyberpunk 2077. That would obviously be stupid.

Yes, it's partially because of the AI, mostly because stealth is a perfectly viable option for 99% of missions in this game.
There's the reason why there are no companions in Hitman or Deus Ex games. It's next to impossible to combine open ended-level design, stealth and companions and end up with something that doesn't frustrate the players.

I had former in mind. I'm not really interested in the system where primary purpose of the companion is to be mobile storage chest.
It works pretty well in Far Cry 6, or other Ubisoft games, having companions and playing in stealth mode.

In Far Cry 5 you can have a sniper or other buddy. In Far Cry 6 the big cats are great, there is a black and a white one to choose from, they can easily attack enemies in a stealthy way.

In Rainbow Six games, you can just give your team silencers and they can attack on command, you can kill several ppl at the same time, and all of this in "stealth mode", no other NPC notices it.

I wouldn't call that next to impossible. It just matters how it's done.

It would be nice having a companion in CP, i would give her/him a silenced sniper rifle, and make her/him climb up somewhere, to give me cover from the distance. It could work the same way like with Panam in that mission in the desert. Judy also was useful in that warehouse.

I mean the AI isn't that bad, i think they could make it work, if we would have a command wheel. I mean there are good waypoints for the enemy NPC's the problem is they barely move. But companions could make good use out of them. I already seen enemies climbing up ladders to me and all that, the AI is not completly stupid, they just act stupid in combat somehow. But 1.5 made it much better already.

It would just need some finetuning and companions would work fine in this game.

I really dont get complaints like these... what exactly are some people looking for? A dating app inside a videogame? What kind of conversations to you want to have with an average NPC random avatar out of the gazillion ones in the game. Do you want to know its favorite food, or his favorite sport? Why?

You mention GTA4, what part of GTA4 allows you to go out and do something like that with a RANDOM NPC? Only thing you can do is pay hookers for car sex...

GTA4 is such a horrible example whenever there is a mention on sandbox games, I swear I dont get how people dont see this... All GTA games are EXTREMELY linear when it comes to how every single mission plays out. You have absolutely zero agency... you have to hit specific markers with ridiculous constrains. If the game tells you to hide behind a box, you have to hide behind a very specific box so the game can continue. All you do in this game is follow instructions to the letter and your gameplay consists literally of auto aiming and pop shooting everything that moves and driving vehicles. Thats it. You want to be stealthy? Tough luck. You want to try a different approach from the hills? Nope. Follow the yellow dot please.

Cyberpunk in comparison offers a ton of options, a ton of different outcomes, you feel in control of what happens next you get to choose how things play out both in terms of story and gameplay. You have huge questlines with major NPCs and you get a ton of dialogue with them and you can shape your relationship far far more than you can in GTA, where you basically just watch a cutscene.

How GTA4 is a good example of anything in regards to NPCs is beyond me. If you said RDR2 then yes I could see a point. But other than that I dont care what a random NPC had for dinner in a videogame...

Top Bottom