What do you think of the conversations and moments that are continuously repeated within Cyberpunk 2077?

+
I thanks a lot CDPR to invest a bunch of work/money for translating their games (TW3 included), because honestly, in VO, I'm not sure that I would enjoy the characters as much :)
Cyberpunk in VO (Ex-Factor)

Mandarin Chinese perhaps is a better option from a business perspective and to try to aim to the widest possible player base:
View attachment 11303011
Except the ratio between native language speakers and people buying video games are not the same. Yes, Mandarin is one that will almost always be included. But the markets in India and Bangladesh, for example, are minuscule compared to Japan, South Korea, or any single country in Europe.

Also, when considering what language to baseline a title in, English will largely be the default because of the British Empire. You can't travel very far in the world without encountering English speakers. Mandarin, on the other hand, is exceptionally rare as a commonly spoken language outside of China.

Except the ratio between native language speakers and people buying video games are not the same. Yes, Mandarin is one that will almost always be included. But the markets in India and Bangladesh, for example, are minuscule compared to Japan, South Korea, or any single country in Europe.

Also, when considering what language to baseline a title in, English will largely be the default because of the British Empire. You can't travel very far in the world without encountering English speakers. Mandarin, on the other hand, is exceptionally rare as a commonly spoken language outside of China.
I know, but the point is ... random suggestion based on personal preferences can only be discussed with random data out of context. But yes, I don´t pretend to discuss that English is much more important as lingua franca than other languages in the world.

Not english, the VO is Polish... (according to Pawel) So I'm not sure that majority of english players would love playing Cyberpunk in Polish with English subtitles ;)
That's why I said "start with English" (y)
I just imagine that if Rockstar decided to fully translate RDR2 in 10 more languages, it would required a quite huge amount of work/money, work/money that could not have been spent elsewhere (maybe the quality/less dialogues/less interactivity of the NPCs for example).
And if they did, I have a feeling it would have been just as good as it was at launch. But they didn't, and they stuck with English, and it still sold 17 million copies within the first 12 days of its launch. :shrug:
Post automatically merged:

Mandarin Chinese perhaps is a better option from a business perspective and to try to aim to the widest possible player base:
View attachment 11303011

Considering that many people who speak Mandarin have a second language being English vs native English speakers not knowing Mandarin (or any other language at that), it would be quite a poor business move.

As SigilFey mentioned it, you've got the British Empire to thank for that :)

Last edited:
Not english, the VO is Polish... (according to Pawel) So I'm not sure that majority of english players would love playing Cyberpunk in Polish with English subtitles ;)
I just imagine that if Rockstar decided to fully translate RDR2 in 10 more languages, it would required a quite huge amount of work/money, work/money that could not have been spent elsewhere (maybe the quality/less dialogues/less interactivity of the NPCs for example).
So Keanu does the english adaptation from the Polish version? Even from an actors/directors work point of view the English version was the original version plus other languages for the character's origins (Japanese for Saburo...)

That's why I said "start with English" (y)
If they start with a language, like Pawel say, it's polish.
So unfortunately for us and the majority of players, if CDPR "started" with only one language, we all have to play Cyberpunk in Polish with subtitles :)
And if they did, I have a feeling it would have been just as good as it was at launch. But they didn't, and they stuck with English, and it still sold 17 million copies within the first 12 days of its launch. :shrug:
Nothing to do with the number of copies sold...
Even Rockstar don't have an unlimited budget for their games So if they had to work on 10 more languages for the game, it would mean that they had to invest way more ressources in translating, recording, voice acting,... (which is quite expansive) and by extension, invest less ressources elsewhere...
And it's my opinion, but for GTA5 I really don't care (story is "boring"), but for RDR2 which have a good story, it's a shame.
Most of time, I don't look the screen, because I have to read the subtitles at the bottom... and if/when I'm able to read subtitles, because good luck to read them during a gunfight or during a fast horseride.
So for "story driven" games, a multi-language support is, for me, a requirement.

Last edited:
Considering that many people who speak Mandarin have a second language being English vs native English speakers not knowing Mandarin (or any other language at that), it would be quite a poor business move
Really, i dont think you ever had to work with people in mainland china or share office with chinese colleagues with less than 5 years outside china... official numbers are around 10 million people in china are fluent in english.

So Keanu does the english adaptation from the Polish version? Even from an actors/directors work point of view the English version was the original version plus other languages for the character's origins (Japanese for Saburo...)
CDPR, at the begining, decided to have a multi-languages support (like in The Witcher 3), so they choose Keanu anyway ;)
(but they also hire all the "keanu" voice actors in all the available language too, which is awesome and not "cheap" at all.

CDPR, at the begining, decided to have a multi-languages support (like in The Witcher 3), so they choose Keanu anyway ;)
(but they also hire all the "keanu" voice actors in all the available language too, which is awesome and not "cheap" at all.
Yes it's amazing work and as I understand it each team had their voice directors, they incorporated local references on their versions of the game but there was an original team whose actor directors were more involved in the creation and development of the character traits...
Mike Pondsmith's world takes place in California also, I would argue there is an original version which is the one that took each character and location into consideration when developing each character's accent, mannerisms...

Yes it's amazing work and as I understand it each team had their voice directors, they incorporated local references on their versions of the game but there was an original team whose actor directors were more involved in the creation and development of the character traits...
Mike Pondsmith's world takes place in California also, I would argue there is an original version which is the one that took each character and location into consideration when developing each character's accent, mannerisms...
They use the language of the studio. I'm quite certain that the "first" full dialogues/script of the game was in polish, then translated in other languages :)
So with this idea, AC Odyssey would be in grec at first or KCD in Czech...:D

Last edited:
They use the language of the studio. I'm quite certain that the "first" full dialogues/script of the game was in polish, then translated in other languages :)
So with this idea, AC Odyssey would be in grec at first...:D
Great point. I'm also considering what was said above by others about player base counts for languages. English has a good count.
About studio first language I understand that the first scripts can be in the native language but CDPR likes to go down to details when it comes to world and character building. They worked close with Mike Pondsmith, they invited music groups and asked them to imagine themselves existing in this cyberpunk world and being a hip hop rocker boy in 77', so first script for Judy might be in Polish but the final script will have her origin story, where she lives now (...) into account and they would want to carry this vision over until the pixels she looks like and sounds she creates. There are other actors doing the Keanu characters but that's his face and in English that's how he sounds like.

There are other actors doing the Keanu characters but that's his face and in English that's how he sounds like.
Just my opinion/guess, but the full script/story has probably been written and finished long before keanu arrives, unlike what many like to think^^.

Let's take an example, a french studio with a vast majority of french employees (or american, italian or whatever country studio) want to devellop a game based on Ghost In The Shell. You can't trully believe that you will ask to everyone to write a full story and dialogues in Japanese because it's based on a japanese characters/story/lore...
It would be a disaster :D
So unless the studio hire a full team of perfectly bilingual (french/japanese) employees on purpose, which seems totally impossible... What do those who don't speak Japanese fluently... Do they point to unemployment ?

Just my opinion/guess, but the full script/story has probably been written and finished long before keanu arrives, unlike what many like to think^^.
Almost definitely the main arc, yes. I'm sure they did revisions, and I'm sure they added or removed whole scenes as they went. But yes, there was a complete "script", shall we say. If I contact an actor with, "Hey! We'd really like to hire you for a project! We can tell you a little about it...but there's no script, and we don't know how much of a time investment it will be exactly, and we'll need to make things up as we go. You interested?"

No. Probably not. Good luck, though!

This is a thing with most games, because most devs don't have Rockstar's budget to spend on endless ambient dialog.
Actually, it's way, way easier to do that sort of thing. I can rapid-fire short interactions like that in a matter of hours. I gather 10 actors. I hand them each the same script:

1.) Hey!
2.) Watch it, man!
3.) Back off!
4.) You got a problem?
5.) I'll put you in the ground, yo!

6.) Thank you -- thank you!
7.) You saved my life.
8.) I thought I was dead...
9.) I owe you one.
10.) Here...please, take this.

I can have each actor head to the mic, read the lines 3 times, 3 different ways. (They're actors, they'll play with it.) I'd be able to get through multiple takes with each actor in probably 10-15 minutes. 3 hours later, I've got 300 variations of those 10 lines. Plug 'em into the game.

That's why this approach is largely used by other companies. It's direct and fast. Shortest distance between two points, and it gets the job done. I can now have a program procedurally apply specific audio sets to specific NPCs, and vioala, any time a player attacks or helps an NPC, they'll get some combo of the appropriate sound files. But...that's also all they'll ever hear. For the whole game. The more I want to include, the bigger, and bigger, and bigger the download size is going to become. Audio files are huge.

So, like anything else, it's a balancing act. If I do it well, it will feel very natural to the player, at least for a while. After a while though, the same sorts of reactions to the same sorts situations will invariably start to feel canned. And that's why Rockstar, for example, tries to mix it up by creating the sort of above dialogue with different cultural flavors for different regions, things like the ad-lib talkshows on the radio (those were my favorite), etc.

Key question is, are the little mini-scenes CDPR creates worth it? They definitely require a lot more rehearsal, money, and time.

If they start with a language, like Pawel say, it's polish.
So unfortunately for us and the majority of players, if CDPR "started" with only one language, we all have to play Cyberpunk in Polish with subtitles :)
Yes, and that's why it would be disastrous because more people speak English around the world then they do Polish. So in business terms, it would have been better to start with English IF they were to only start with one language to reduce the work load.
Nothing to do with the number of copies sold...
Well it is, because even though it was only in English it still sold a huge amount of copies, with less work required to squeeze in more languages (y)
Even Rockstar don't have an unlimited budget for their games So if they had to work on 10 more languages for the game, it would mean that they had to invest way more ressources in translating, recording, voice acting,... (which is quite expansive) and by extension, invest less ressources elsewhere...
And that's why they didn't, and still took in massive profits. :)
Post automatically merged:

Really, i dont think you ever had to work with people in mainland china or share office with chinese colleagues with less than 5 years outside china... official numbers are around 10 million people in china are fluent in english.
Yet many games still don't cater for that market and still turn over huge profits. Some don't cater to China for certain political reasons, and I guess other's don't see the point, taking into account time/man power vs profit outcome.

At the risk of making this political, which I'm not attempting to do so, but I do understand that many Chinese citizens are either anti-Western or at the very least, don't care about it, thus less of a market for "Western" made games. And those "official" numbers, hopefully they came from an outside source since ... you know ..

Obviously there are those who live outside of China and also speak Mandarin too.

Last edited:
After about 1000h of Skyrim and another 700h of Fallout 4, I'm very used to hearing the same dialogue repeating again and again in a video game that it doesn't bother me :D
I do notice it though, especially those two cops at the enterance to V's Megabuilding but it doesn't bother me.

After about 1000h of Skyrim and another 700h of Fallout 4, I'm very used to hearing the same dialogue repeating again and again in a video game that it doesn't bother me :D
I do notice it though, especially those two cops at the enterance to V's Megabuilding but it doesn't bother me.

That one I would call a bug if it is the one attached to the quest about the friend ex cop hikikomori. I did the quest but they still talk outside his apartment.

Or do you mean the two that have arrested some guy on the ground, yeah that is the longest arrest ever. :D

iam glad that cyberpunk isnt dubbed into my language, bcos its pleasure to hear original Keanu Reeve´s voice and i also enjoyed original english voices of female V and Panam. nice work indeed.

iam in the end of act 2 and all cops already disappeared from H10 building.

I haven't been on the forum for a long time, even more so after we were told that we should wait until 2023 to have interesting surprises (Cyberpunk 2077 fans' patience is tested again). But I'll keep waiting, it's a good job.

It bothers me that there is a debate about an improvement that Cyberpunk 2077 needs as a game that can be a benchmark in the industry and the response that some people have given. Instead of arguing or explaining possible solutions that are possible, it is justified that nothing be done and everything remains the same, it doesn't bother me or there are no resources. Thousands of euros have been earned and Cyberpunk 2077 continues to be of interest to a large number of players who are also willing to pay for expansions. But that does not mean that we applaud like circus monkeys, I am a demanding consumer and CDPR has seemed to me to be a company that has brought together great talent that wanted to make a more complete game but could not due to unrealistic time, poor team management of work and engine limitations Red Engine, a very promising engine if it continues to be expanded.

If we bless the development of everything that has been done in Cyberpunk 2077, we are settling for a job with talent but that needs improvement, that wanted to be but could not be... NOO

Many of you believe that the current state of Cyberpunk is more than enough to consider the goals achieved. SO NOT MUCH LESS!!!!

I'm not talking about wanting much more from the game like a brainless monkey. I talk about how to improve our interaction with Night City, the best designed city that is drowning because work has been left undone in it.

What made me open this post was that it is not realistic at all and shows us that this was another job that was left aside. In the building where V has his apartment there can't be two policemen sitting forever with the same lines of dialogue because we go through many times during the game and the feeling you have is that someone forgot to set a timer for those npcs to appear and disappear . And it happens in many other places in Night city.

If they don't want to remove the sitting cops at least they should shut their mouths if they have already said their conversation 3 or 4 times because we are talking about an AAA game, not an INDIE game. And there are places that you go through many times in the game and you want them to feel alive not like a loop.

These conversations are very interesting and help us learn more about life in the city, but if you listen to them 200 times they are hateful!!!

Does anyone doubt that the creation of a city of this size needs thousands of lines of dialogue? Can you imagine walking around the city and not listening to anyone or just the same phrase?

Without a doubt, CDPR knew the challenge that lay ahead and stayed halfway, as in many other things in development.

As a player who sees a good product but one that fails in some aspects, I like to debate it, being a conformist doesn't get you anywhere.

I know that budgets are limited and so is time, but we are asked for patience until 2023, patience for expansion. But will the game board stay the same?

It was said by the directors of CDPR that it would continue to improve and without a doubt 1.5 has been a great job, but gentlemen, do not cover your eyes with all the deficiencies that continue to exist in the game, keep fixing and improving, I have already said many times that this game will continue to make a lot of money if it continues to improve and allows modders to comfortably create and incorporate their own content into Cyberpunk.

Night City is a unique place for thousands of stories, this is not just a 100-hour game.

The ideas were brilliant during development but the result needs more hours in the oven, do we continue to refine this great work and create a complete product? Or we bow our heads and cover our eyes.

• improved AI
  • Make the police feel important, feared and above all smart!!!!
  • Create a history of your actions in Night city on gangs and police. If I disappear from the conflict zone everything is in peace!!!
  • It allows players to realistically drink and eat in the city. The current state is games from the 90's!!!
  • It changes the traffic system completely, it's still mediocre.
  • It allows illegal races, fights, challenges, the city is very boring outside of missions!!!
  • Allow car modification
  • Allow try on clothes before buying
  • Allows car chases
  • Allows shoot from the car
  • Have sex in the apartments or bring an npc to your room
  • We want higher difficulty to kill important enemies
  • Where is the public transport in this city?
  • Where are the bikers?
  • Optimize the game, it has critical memory leaks and performance hits that make you go from 50 fps to 5 fps in a few seconds.

All this I say is not for developers (who want to do it) but for CDPR managers!!!!

UNLEASH ALL THE POWER THAT CYBERPUNK 2077 HAS!!!!!

We still have a product at 60%. It can be much more!!!! Cyberpunk 2077 is not a simple game of 100 hours, it is much more than all that!

It's the game we want to play for the next 10 years

Last edited:
That one I would call a bug if it is the one attached to the quest about the friend ex cop hikikomori. I did the quest but they still talk outside his apartment.

Or do you mean the two that have arrested some guy on the ground, yeah that is the longest arrest ever. :D
Well those too but I was referring to the two cops eating at the food stand on the bottom floor of V's Megabuilding. :D
"So, you're ready to talk about last night" or something like that.

Top Bottom