Continuing problems with Kold Mirage & Spellbound

+
I've been playing since release day and these quests have been permanently frustrating, janky and awkward to initiate or even complete, so am asking how everyone goes around starting Kold Mirage and Spellbound and what exactly the prerequisites for starting it are, because they seem to vary wildly according to issues other players continue to experience.

I thought I had Kold Mirage sussed; out of curiosity I am trying to get the quest to appear organically. My last playthrough (same patch) the notice of expiration shard found at Revere Courier Services during the gig Many Ways To Skin A Cat should, and previously has added a set of coordinates and journal entry proviced Ghost Town was completed (and, according to one of the wikis - a Street Cred level of 37).

Except that's exactly where I am now and it's not triggering. I read the shard, nothing. Wait 24 hours, 48 hours ... nothing. I have played until Nocturne OP55N1 ... nothing, no text from Nix to initiate Spellbound either.

Previously I would just head to the dump to pick up Dex's gun anyway and start Kold Mirage from there. More often than not Bartmoss' freezer is interactable after Ghost Town (sometimes...) but as I mentioned, I am trying to get this thing to trigger organically with that damn notice of expiration shard and have a completionist's compulsion.

Many online guides maintain that Spellbound comes first, and that Nix will contact the player after Ghost Town is completed, except he isn't, and has always - in every playthrough I have done - been completely uninteractable in his room until I manage to trigger Kold Mirage.
So is the text that initiates Spellbound random?
Is this just the buggiest questline in the game?

On my side, it always goes well and without I need to "search" to do/launch something (and way before the point of no return).
So I read shards and I don't know which (or if it's random), but there is one who laucn Kold Mirage. Obviously only after Ghost Town and meet Rogue and Nix (it often happen when I "clear" my "unread" shards...)
And after completing Kold Mirage, before I even leave the AfterLife, Nix send me a message because he have a "job" for me. And I return to see him for complete Spell Bound.
It seem weird and simple, but I simply don't pay attention at all to these quests and it's all goes fine :)

Edit : Maybe an important thing, I never do a single GIG before reaching the level 40, so Ghost Town is completed since a good while when I read the GIG's shards (especially Watson's ones). It can help to "launch" Kold Mirage more easily and explain why I have no problem about these quests.

Last edited:
(it often happen when I "clear" my "unread" shards...)
That's interesting; I just tried reading all of my unread shards and rode my bike past Afterlife, Nix sent the message that initiates Spellbound!

This is very strange because I think out of around 12 playthroughs I have only had Spellbound appear before Kold Mirage once, and that was back in February or March on a much earlier patch. As soon as I finished Spellbound, the head to coordinates in the landfill quest/marker appeared which usually happens as soon as I pick up the Notice of Expiration shard in the Revere Courier office. Wondering if this is just a buggy playthrough - a few other quests have been weird too...

But anyway, thanks! :)

I'm having the same issue right now with Nix, he stands there and doesn't talk or move. I'm at the point where I just finished Ghost Town and I really want to get SpellBound quest first as I have always done. But for some reason now he won't move, I'm about to read all my shards and ride my motorcycle past the afterlife as well 😂. I also read that if you reload saves apparently he'll go back to normal but I'm not sure yet. I'm uninstalling and reinstalling right now.

On my current playthrough the quests triggered as they were supposed to, probably the first time since the 1.2 patch? Was driving past the Afterlife and Nix sends a text to initiate spellbound. Kold Mirage initiated after telling me to check out the coords at the dump, though didn't trigger earlier when reading the Notice of Expiration shard at Revere Courier Services like they normally did.

I don't think a reinstall is necessary, but good luck anyway! Man, some of these temperamental quest triggers can be frustrating.

Yup it didn't work which I kinda knew already in the back of my head, I had the trigger happen 3 days ago but I reloaded beforehand and did some stuff differently now I have no idea what caused this to jumble up. You know I have had some npc's bug out when I reloaded a save right next to them and I did reload an auto save right after talking to Rogue in the afterlife after paying her 15,000 (it's the auto save that triggers right after getting up from the booth with her) maybe that's what bugged out Nix? I'm gonna do some testing and stuff and try to figure this out.

Honestly, in my current playthrough, I finished "Ghost Town/Lightnings Break" (in short, I found Hellman), completed "Gimme Danger" (Goro) and finished "I fough The Law" (Peralez/River) and nothing for the moment.
(but I didn't complete the GIG where there is the shard which trigger the location of the fridge).

Ok so I just did a bunch of mind numbing reloading and trial and error, and on the playthrough where Nix bugged out I was level 23 and had 39 street cred when I approached Rogue. I just reloaded a save where I was level 20 and had 33 street cred and this time approached Rogue and paid her, did all of Ghost Town. Once Ghost Town finished and I woke up in the sunset motel, before going to meet Panam in the garage I dropped a save and went to the Afterlife just to see if it would trigger and Bam Nix messaged me for spellbound. Mind you I have not done the Gig: Many ways to skin a cat nor have I gone personally to the fridge or Dex yet. The only thing I can maybe guess about all this is that somehow the bug was that my street cred was too high maybe finishing Ghost Town with anywhere below 34 street cred is the way to go? To get the natural trigger? Or it could've been my level too. But for some reason my money is on the cred. Sorry for the long post just thought I'd let you guys know. Thanks again

Last edited:
The only thing I can maybe guess about all this is that somehow the bug was that my street cred was too high maybe finishing Ghost Town with anywhere below 34 street cred is the way to go? To get the natural trigger? Or it could've been my level too.
Not sure, since a while ago, when I start/complete Ghost Town, I always already reached the level 50 in street cred for a good while (about 35-45 for main level) :)
Anyway, it's nice you manage to solve your problem ;)

Top Bottom