What do you think about V?

+
V's quite interesting because even though they have a base personality, there's a fair deal of player options in how they function. You don't have to make nice with Johnny. You don't have to be nice to other characters. In the beginning of the game, when Dex asks you what your motivation is, you can say "I want to be a legend"... but you don't have to.

Although I don't insist on lots of branching questlines (it's tremendously difficult to do at all, let alone do well), I do wish that there were branches at times. So, if you reveal Panam's plans to Saul, instead of closing off that entirely, there's an option of a few things with Saul instead. That sort of thing. A few aspects of the game feel too much like "This is the correct path", and doing something else is obviously wrong.

However, within the main plotline as I play it, with V going from a callow mercenary to someone with real connections to people in Night City - good friends, who will mourn when he's gone (with the addition of the way Johnny's and V's relationship develop) make me really like V.

V is someone who can care, and that means a lot. (Same reason I like Aloy in the Horizon games).

Cheers,
Merric

My V is a serial killer , so....................
:howdy:
I think V was okay. I don't rank V among the all-time great or memorable main characters though.

Geralt, Kratos, Lara Croft, Jill Valentine - those are the types of characters I view as truly iconic. It's one of the reasons I kind of prefer a "preset" main character for games rather than a build your own. Sometimes it can go horribly wrong, but when it is done right it is amazing.

Where as V, Skyrim main character person, Fallout main character person, etc. are just never very memorable to me. The people and places around me always stick more than the character I play. For instance when I think back on a Cyberpunk play through I think about Panam, Judy, Silverhand and Night City... not really about V.

But I suppose that is a personal preference thing. :)
Agreed, preset characters have so much more personality than self-insert custom ones, it's just the way it is

V's honestly an amazing character.
I can't quite say if it is a a bad thing, or even if it was intentionally done by the writers, but V's issue for me is how despite being a quite customizable character for the player, both in looks and in story choices, she's a difficult character to relate to, or to immerse yourself into.

This is due to, as mentioned already, Johnny's presence and the implication throughout the story that he is slowly replacing her, and it is impossible to know if some of V's choices and sayings are actually just V or if it is Johnny. If it is you, or Johnny. (with some big exceptions where Johnny and V are talking, both present, and you have a choice to make, and this choice can make Johnny react if it is something he didn't want)

The apex point where this becomes really obvious is when Anders Hellman asks V if she "noticed the construct's influence on her decision making".

This makes V really complex and it becomes harder and harder for the player to relate to V or "be" V, because of Johnny's presence.
Because we know who Johnny is, we know his story, we know his personality quite well, and at some point in the game the player can even predict Johnny's dialogue and actions ; because he is set character with all his background and behaviour having been shown to the player.

Whereas V, as the main character, is an "empty shell" with a story that we slowly discover and actively participate in ; V becoming a star, a legend of Night City. And this is true, just like any other role playing game, during the Epilogue and a good chunk of Act 1.

But this becomes harder and harder as we realise that she's dying and being replaced by an already written and nearly finished story: Johnny.

Last edited:

"WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT V?"

A strong, sexy, attractive, determined, social, thorough, fearless, well educated, caring, decisive woman, that knows what she wants, how to get it, always get things done, and always goes for it. (I say "woman", because always play with a female V).
All games that give the choice oughta have a fem PC TBH

Kinda think one of the reasons i dident bound hard with V is the lack of seeing her. Loved the voice acting and i dont have a problem with the character itself, but you dont see her other then in menus/mirror. If she was reflected in stuff i think i would like her more and feel more connected with her. That being said i think they took the right route with a semi pre determend character instead of a total blank state that Bethesta loves.

Having some defining stuff kinda helps me atleast bound with my character. i can get the same feeling in totaly open games but its much harder. For me V just feelt liek a ghost in the world, a memory of someone long gone. The side characters kinda stole the show.

Kinda think one of the reasons i dident bound hard with V is the lack of seeing her. Loved the voice acting and i dont have a problem with the character itself, but you dont see her other then in menus/mirror. If she was reflected in stuff i think i would like her more and feel more connected with her. That being said i think they took the right route with a semi pre determend character instead of a total blank state that Bethesta loves.

Having some defining stuff kinda helps me atleast bound with my character. i can get the same feeling in totaly open games but its much harder. For me V just feelt liek a ghost in the world, a memory of someone long gone. The side characters kinda stole the show.
That’s the Beauty of it. You’ll think I’m crazy but, We can see her in mirror’s, we customize V so we know in memory what she looks like. In a motorcycle.

but what I find myself drawn to her deeply is we see thing’s through her eyes, It speaks to me in a different level. But in essence, wish we had 3rd person view to see her & we can be allowed to switch to 1st person view. GTA V which, argh, has that feature. CP 2077 a much advanced formula can do it. I mean who knows what they are cooking. Great insight to you post.

That’s the Beauty of it. You’ll think I’m crazy but, We can see her in mirror’s, we customize V so we know in memory what she looks like. In a motorcycle.

but what I find myself drawn to her deeply is we see thing’s through her eyes, It speaks to me in a different level. But in essence, wish we had 3rd person view to see her & we can be allowed to switch to 1st person view. GTA V which, argh, has that feature. CP 2077 a much advanced formula can do it. I mean who knows what they are cooking. Great insight to you post.

Really good Summary. When I heard for the first time about playing in 1st person I thought it to be a bad idea. But after playing it I really liked it. It helped me more identifying with the character. The "seeing the world with Vs eyes" term was pretty accurate.

But it's always good to have a choice, so switching between 1st and 3rd person would be cool

Im not against the FPP and not having a 3d person camera. I do however miss normal reflections (not the use mirror but just in the world) just walking down the street and seeing V reflect in the glass/water/whatever can reflect. Everything exept V is reflecteble and its because Vs model is really broken ingame. Thats why it has too load in the mirror before you se anything.

I have no control over V's personality most of the time. Theres no difference between origins. Overall, very generic and railroaded. Thanks to the terrible story, I dont give a toss about V as a person.

I approve that at least we got a female protagonist. One of the few good things about CP2077, and something I just can't play SP RPGs without anymore. Im dead tired at generic MALE protagonists.

That's unfortunate. How come?

Are you referring to the voice actors or just the personality of V? Voice Actors are very hit or miss. I personally think both did a great job, but do like the male VA better. I like his emotional range.

It’s kinda both. The voiceacting and the personality.

The writing itself is passable, no major complaints there, but the character is too defined and leaves too little for the player to choose, so it gets boring to listen to the same lines (and while I said the writing is passable, it’s not good enough to wiggle out of being repetitive).

It’s kinda both. The voiceacting and the personality.

The writing itself is passable, no major complaints there, but the character is too defined and leaves too little for the player to choose, so it gets boring to listen to the same lines (and while I said the writing is passable, it’s not good enough to wiggle out of being repetitive).
I see. I agree with you on the lack of choice with the personality of V. I kind of fill in the blanks myself more than anything, especially when it comes to fanfics. Like, my Streetkid was a foul-mouthed tough guy, my Corpo is a little more reserved, but still pretty badass because he hated being a corpo-rat and craved being a merc. My nomad is going to be a bit of a mess, like fish-out-of-water mess mixed with other trauma.

I've really enjoyed all my 'vs, From the corpo who fought johnny every step of the way to get back in with arasaka to the street kid who sided with johnny who sacrificed her body so he could continue the fight. I've enjoyed an arasaka soldier, a valentino knife wielder. The main difference between all of my play-throughs is the RP which drives their style, which missions I take and how I chose to complete them.

As for 'v''s character, she just doesn't have one unless it is given, she's a mess of every personality unless you pick and choose.

V is someone who can care, and that means a lot. (Same reason I like Aloy in the Horizon games).

since i also really like Aloy... i. cant compare V's character depths with Aloys - not even close : /
Aloy is a pretty complex main char for me - V feels kinda flat just carrying Silverhands deeps throughout the story....

While in Horizon everything is build around the Nora/Banuk girl - CP is build around Sidecharacters like Panam, Judy and mostly Silverhand... a bit too much around the last one for my personal likings. The difference between first person and third person also has an impact on it... at least for me : /

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seem that those who liked V mostly said something like that:
"I like my V".
That's quite interesting because it mean that those players didn't settle for the "semi-developed" character furnished by CDPR but filled the "holes" (intentionally let by CDPR) by their own views of what their V should be/think/react. Even if we have almost the same dialogue lines along the game, I'm pretty sure that my V have a very different personality from that of @cartlidge.
So if you don't see V as your "own" character, but "see" it in the same way as Geralt (or Aloy), then yes, V is not that great :)
(There are two opposite examples right above my post^^)

Last edited:
Maybe I'm wrong, but it seem that those who liked V mostly said something like that:
"I like my V".
That's quite interesting because it mean that those players didn't settle for the "semi-developed" character furnished by CDPR but filled the "holes" (intentionally let by CDPR) by their own views of what their V should be/think/react. Even if we have almost the same dialogue lines along the game, I'm pretty sure that my V have a very different personality from that of @cartlidge.
So if you don't see V as your "own" character, but "see" it in the same way as Geralt (or Aloy), then yes, V is not that great :)
(There are two opposite examples right above my post^^)
Yup. Whatever V lacked in personality, I filled in with my brain. My Vs are all kind of unique, but also connected by their love interest and the ending that corresponds. So like different variations of the same person. At least that's how I see them.

since i also really like Aloy... i. cant compare V's character depths with Aloys - not even close : /
Aloy is a pretty complex main char for me - V feels kinda flat just carrying Silverhands deeps throughout the story....

It's funny... while Aloy is definitely a really good Character, her constant Moral Compas makes her very predictable and sometimes boring. Don't get me wrong, I really like her as a Character but with V I can do a little bit more. Like mentioned filling the gaps with my own Decisions and behaviors.

Yup. Whatever V lacked in personality, I filled in with my brain. My Vs are all kind of unique, but also connected by their love interest and the ending that corresponds. So like different variations of the same person. At least that's how I see them.
This is kinda my issue with it, Filling it in in your brain is fine and all but its kinda annoying when it isent reflected in game for me. Alot of the dialogue options is just small variations on each other(with barely and tone differance at all). i wish there were more variations in the replys V does at times. Depending on how your V generaly talk, thats what i really liked with DA2. The slowly changing tone of Hawke.

Just my opinion tho. Too each there own.

Top Bottom