Has Cyberpunk 77 Multiplayer been completely 86'd?

+
I would prefer single player content updates from 2077. That said, does the Cyberpunk 2020 rulebook included in the goodies count as multiplayer? You could always play it with Tabletop Simulator...

"HAS CYBERPUNK 77 MULTIPLAYER BEEN COMPLETELY 86'D?"

Haven't heard anything of lately, which could mean that, "it's still under advisement".

They've basically confirmed that CP2077 Multiplayer is canceled. The short version and I'm paraphrasing is... Red engine 2 couldn't handle multiplayer they way they wanted, which is part of why the switch the to UE is happening. Having the team at epic as partners will allow them to focus on just making games and not trying to add functionality to the engine as well, they can just ask "how do we do this?" and epic will tell them.

SO yeah planned Multiplayer in ANY game running on Red Engine is basically canceled and/or never happening. Which is why any Multiplayer CP thing will either be a standalone game OR in the sequel Running on UE 5.

Just my point of view, but cancelling multiplayer on Red Engine, means that MP on Cyberpunk 2077 is canceled too. I hardly imagine CDPR rebuilding the entire game from the ground to "simply" add a multiplayer mode to Cyberpunk 2077 :)

Full quote:
"Following the decision to change the underlying game engine and conclusion of a licensing and partnership agreement with Epic Games International, the Company gained access to multiplayer solutions available in Unreal Engine 4 and 5, as a result of which it abandoned further R&D work on adding multiplayer elements to REDEngine."

"Yes, I can add some color - the plan remains the same; we're planning to add multiplayer functionality in the future to both franchises, including Cyberpunk, gradually."

Now, it's unclear if he means the sequel to Cyberpunk or 2077, but I think he means 2077.

nah hes talking about the franchises not about a specific title - it would be way to much afford to rebuild CP77 on U5 just to add multiplayer FUNCTIONALLTY - what not even says that he talks about a full mp game/story/mode or just simple tiny mp features.

its probably way more realistic that they include mp features or a full mp mode in upcoming titles of the franchise(s) than on the franchise "beta-opener" CP77 in itself.

Last edited:
Now, it's unclear if he means the sequel to Cyberpunk or 2077, but I think he means 2077.
Yep, they will use Unreal Engine multiplayer features in their franchises The Witcher and Cyberpunk. Meaning the futur games which will run with Unreal Engine).

But Cyberpunk 2077 (the game that we currently play), will not be fully rebuilt to switch from Red Engine to Unreal Engine. So it's almost certain that Cyberpunk 2077 will never have any multiplayer feature... In the same way, The Witcher 3 won't receive any multiplayer features in the next-gen update.
Simple as that ;)

Yep, they will use Unreal Engine multiplayer features in their franchises The Witcher and Cyberpunk. Meaning the futur games which will run with Unreal Engine).

But Cyberpunk 2077 (the game that we currently play), will not be fully rebuilt to switch from Red Engine to Unreal Engine. So it's almost certain that Cyberpunk 2077 will never have any multiplayer feature... In the same way, The Witcher 3 won't receive any multiplayer features in the next-gen update.
Simple as that ;)

As I said, it could be a standalone thing.

I would have loved to be able to play the whole game with one player playing V and a coop player taking a similar role as Jackie and doing the story and missions together. If both players has the game then the other connects to the V player and just becomes an extra NPC hanging around V. I really don't see a problem since the AI already seem to be able to handle groups of NPCs fighting.

PvP has never been something I liked. I'm more for cooperation ... less anger that way. Just my take on multiplayer.

PvP has never been something I liked. I'm more for cooperation ... less anger that way. Just my take on multiplayer.

ever played "A Way out?" - sounds totally like a game u would like - A coop game where 2 people (player) need to break out a prison. really fun in coop. ^^

The only thing that was ever officially announced was that Cyberpunk multiplayer was being considered as a long-term goal. That does not mean that it will definitely happen, nor does it determine what form it would take. Speculate away! But there's no official info yet.

Right, but then it wouldn't be Cyberpunk 2077. It would be Cyberpunk Online or something - a completely different game built from the ground up... or maybe having some assets transferred over.

This doesn't mean characters, concepts, places, etc. from Cyberpunk 2077 couldn't be included. But it would be an entirely different game built on an entirely different engine... and it wouldn't be something we are getting any time soon.

Because of that the more realistic scenario is that we get Cyberpunk 2 as a single player game before they introduce multiplayer elements. That is because single player games are CDPR's bread and butter. They will use the big open world game to draw people in, then try to get them to play the online version of the game that will likely feature microtransactions, a cash shop or something like that. Just like they will do with The Witcher, most likely.

A good example is Bethesda and Fallout. They didn't release Fallout 76 to hype Fallout 4. They released Fallout 4 and then followed up with Fallout 76 afterward - a 'different game' but with a ton of similarities to Fallout 4 in terms of engine, graphics, assets used, etc.

I think that is the more realistic thing to expect. A 'Cyberpunk 2' single player game and then a multiplayer version or stand alone game that re-uses a lot of characters, assets, etc. from the single player experience.

They never did cancel it. What they did cancel, was it being developed on Red Engine.
"Has multiplayer for Cyberpunk been cancelled?"

"CD Projekt has cancelled all future multiplayer development in Cyberpunk 2077's RED Engine and made a $4.9 million write-off on the technology. Instead CD Projekt will now use Unreal Engine 5 for its multiplayer ambitions. 18 Apr 2022"

"Has multiplayer for Cyberpunk been cancelled?"

"CD Projekt has cancelled all future multiplayer development in Cyberpunk 2077's RED Engine and made a $4.9 million write-off on the technology. Instead CD Projekt will now use Unreal Engine 5 for its multiplayer ambitions. 18 Apr 2022"

Yeah, that's what I said.

Hum... So it wouldn't be Cyberpunk 2077
Like if they had multiplayer in The Witcher franchise... For me, CDPR wouldn't add multiplayer to The Witcher 1, nor The Witcher 2, nor The Witcher 3. Like @pliskards said, it would be a different game with a "different name" ;)

Hum... So it wouldn't be Cyberpunk 2077
Like if they had multiplayer in The Witcher franchise... For me, CDPR wouldn't add multiplayer to The Witcher 1, nor The Witcher 2, nor The Witcher 3. Like @pliskards said, it would be a different game with a "different name" ;)

Yes, like Ghost of Tsushima: Legends.

Top Bottom