CDPR vindicated those who doubted their promise

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
The wording is kinda odd, or telling. We wont know for sure untill somebody makes a proper statement. But people got kinda angry last financial call about the deployment of workforce (was an error in the slide) and they were fast in fixing and making a statement.

Depends on what you mean with support i guess. RED 2 is probably pretty abandoned too since they have upgraded it too 3 and 4 since. Thing is its kinda dumb too keep developing an engine that your gonna stop using for the next games. Especially since im guessing its alot harder too learn and use it compared with the new engine. It would be one thing if they were compatible with each other or something but im fairly sure that is not the case.

Lack of content is another kinda big issue for me, yes its SP, yes there has been alot of problems these years, yes there was alot of fixing. Still 2 years for the first story content too release is quite long, especially in a story driven action adventure game. I personaly find the free dlc kinda meh, its free so i wont complain about it but its generaly model swaps and stuff that should have been in the game from the start (was the same in witcher 3 tbh). Atleast there not charging for it so im not angry about it.

I do think they care, heck they kinda hade too do this. They were the golden child before this game, just like so menny other studios has been and then they fail. If it was Ubisoft or EA i would not be as harsh in my judgement (witch is kinda sad in itself). They have just started too turn it around with 1.5 for menny people and then something goes wrong again(not gonna discuss it since not sure its allowed here). Anyways just my thoughts, but im not that exited for the future of Cp2077. Hoping the next game is more too my taste.
That's really my point.

Like yeah its not perfect and yeah it needs work, and I'm sure the future of CDPR is not in RE, it's gotta look to the future... But they care. They're not "Giving Up" on a franchise that they want to be next big AAA Flagship license for them its just not happening. They promised the same amount of content as Witcher 3 as far as DLC which would be about 16-20 Free DLCs and 1-2 Big paid expansions(1 really only works if its Massive) and I think if nothing else they're going to stay as true to that as possible, if for no other reason than the get back some goodwill and trust, so they next game doesn't suffer.

I just don't like how everyone is yelling "the sky is falling" when CDPR is clearly trying to make things right... even if it's not up to everyone's standards

That's really my point.

Like yeah its not perfect and yeah it needs work, and I'm sure the future of CDPR is not in RE, it's gotta look to the future... But they care. They're not "Giving Up" on a franchise that they want to be next big AAA Flagship license for them its just not happening. They promised the same amount of content as Witcher 3 as far as DLC which would be about 16-20 Free DLCs and 1-2 Big paid expansions(1 really only works if its Massive) and I think if nothing else they're going to stay as true to that as possible, if for no other reason than the get back some goodwill and trust, so they next game doesn't suffer.

I just don't like how everyone is yelling "the sky is falling" when CDPR is clearly trying to make things right... even if it's not up to everyone's standards
Sadly i dont think there will be more then 1 expansion and from the info that out there, it sounds pretty small compared too B&W for example (its not finished yet so might change). I can kinda understand that they want too fix it, but it can prove very difficult and for me atleast the only thing that would fix everything would be too get the game i thought i was getting (and thats not happening).

Is it a bad game? No not really its just not what i wanted/enjoy. For me they have gone the wrong way but thats ok. Seems people enjoy the game so they will still have a market and witcher 4 will probably sell well. Its just kinda sad it turned out this way. The only thing i can do if im not happy with the game/exansions/dlc whatever is vote with my wallet, so thats what ill do. Unless it gets rave reviews then i might give it a shot.

A weird assumption there. People are busy. Life exists outside of the interwebz my dude.
Guess life didn't exist back in the first few months after release then.

While abandoning might be a little exaggerated, it's certainly not the next big thing fans and CDPR hoped for back around the release date. I think CDPR and, well, most of the fans, realized that a while ago.
The upcoming expansion being their last RedEngine project supports that claim, in regards to CDPR at least.

The world of cyberpunk as an IP might be alive and continued for many years but Cyberpunk 2077 itself is barely breathing and the expansion is likely to be it's last spazm.

I feel like it's a matter of pride and image for the expansion to even be in production right now. Their image has been damaged and giving up on that expansion might be just a tad bit too much to take as of right now, at least pr/image wise.
I suppose all the joy CDPR had while working on CP77 is a thing of the past and that's exactly why I suggest not to be too hopeful for the expansion or anything else CP77 related.

That being said it would be a shame if they didn't redeem themselves with some sort of Cyberpunk 2078 or whatever it might be called. They have the potential, they (hopefully) learned plenty of lessons, and the IP has so much to offer..

A weird assumption there. People are busy. Life exists outside of the interwebz my dude.
Unfortunately, accurate. ;-) I'm rebuilding the deck, fixing a leak around a pipe exiting the foundation, and installing modern radios and backup cameras on 2 90's cars. I miss back when all I did was sit in my apartment, play video games and paint minis. But, life changes.

So, here's my hot take on the OP - I don't care. I was actually thinking about this yesterday.

Full disclosure - I picked this up on sale in about September of 2021 (so, 1.3) because it took me that long after release to get a video card that could run it (scarcity, money, stuff like that). So, I didn't have a release experience, I played through the whole thing on 1.3, 100+ hours, and 1.5 dropped the week after I finished a couple different endings (male V, corpo, netrunner sniper build).

1.5 drops, and I started a new game (female V, street rat, mantis blades melee uild) and started playing through. I've got about 15 hours in on that save, and I occasionally pop back to the other save to just hang out in night city as a baller, do a couple random things, just generally be in game.

This is two things I have never done in a game before - "just be in the world" after the game is over and "start another playthrough immediately after".

But here's the thing - I keep coming back to it. Even when I try to put it down and play something else (flight sims, Disco Elysium, Wolfenstein, etc.), I keep coming back - like a couple times a month (and, given that I only have time for video games maximally 4 nights per month in the summer, that's a decent chunk of my attention). I keep coming back with no new content. Do I want some? Sure. But, even if CDPR folded tomorrow and all the modders lost interest, and there was nothing else for this game ever produced, I would still play it (and, since I run it under wine, it probably will run forever because you can peg it at some version and it will always work).

I just started the witcher 3 and seeing how amazing that game is makes me realize how bad CP77 is.

I am looking forward to the next Witcher.

If CP can give an amazing expansion and a ng+ i might try 77 again.

game's problems go beyond bugs. the promise of choices mattering and rippling through the gaming world. deep rpg mechanics. story kinda sucked for me. these can't be fixed with a patch.

I've played the game since its release on the PC version. I must confess that CDPR's stance did not please me. The truth is:
1) delivered an unfinished product;
2) full of serious problems;
3) tried to solve the problems through patches, hotfixes, etc;
4) improved the game;
5) but I still have the feeling that something is missing;
6) that "something", in my opinion, is all the content cut out;
7) cut content, well, that is to say that the game as it was originally thought would be much bigger;
8) and everything seems to indicate that they will only deliver one expansion because this "expansion", is actually the content that was cut!
9) and this expansion will be paid!
10) once the expansion is released..., end of the line for the game.
11) mission "accomplished".
After the expansion was released, all in the direction of UE5.
Will I buy the expansion?
Yes, even because I want to have the complete game as it was originally conceived by its initial developers, many of whom abandoned CDPR.
And don't expect anything related to the end of the story. Everything, in my view, will be in the middle of the main story, without affecting absolutely nothing the endings we already know.
But then, why do I think so?
Because there are many things that are poorly explained in the game. This is indisputable. Everything will be put in its proper place with the "expansion" I believe.
And do you know why the game had this absurd cut of content? Patrick K. Mills, senior mission designer said in September 2020:
"We know that Cyberpunk 2077's main story is slightly shorter than The Witcher 3 because we've received a lot of complaints about The Witcher 3's main story being too long. Looking at the metrics, we see a tremendous number of people playing The Witcher 3 too far away, but never coming to an end. We want you to see the whole story. So we've shortened the main story, but there's a lot to do." Source: https://www.otakupt.com/jogos/cyber...e-the-witcher-3-e-ha-um-bom-motivo-para-isso/
"We've shortened the main story."
That means it was originally meant to be bigger.
A shorter game than The Witcher 3.
Serious error.
The argument was that "many people complained about the excessive size of The Witcher 3".
Unacceptable.
This is the main reason (excessive content cutting) for almost all Cyberpunk 2077 related issues.

I just started the witcher 3 and seeing how amazing that game is makes me realize how bad CP77 is.

I am looking forward to the next Witcher.

If CP can give an amazing expansion and a ng+ i might try 77 again.

Seems like the story suffered by shortening the story

Witcher 3 has been amazing so far. I want to finish it just to start a new game+ to try different choices
I know right? Witcher 3 is pretty much the perfect RPG. If fixed character RPG's are CDPR's forte, maybe in CP2077 V should have been a default character (preferably female)

And do you know why the game had this absurd cut of content? Patrick K. Mills, senior mission designer said in September 2020:
"We know that Cyberpunk 2077's main story is slightly shorter than The Witcher 3 because we've received a lot of complaints about The Witcher 3's main story being too long. Looking at the metrics, we see a tremendous number of people playing The Witcher 3 too far away, but never coming to an end. We want you to see the whole story. So we've shortened the main story, but there's a lot to do." Source: https://www.otakupt.com/jogos/cyber...e-the-witcher-3-e-ha-um-bom-motivo-para-isso/
"We've shortened the main story."
That means it was originally meant to be bigger.
A shorter game than The Witcher 3.
Serious error.
The argument was that "many people complained about the excessive size of The Witcher 3".
Unacceptable.
This is the main reason (excessive content cutting) for almost all Cyberpunk 2077 related issues.
On Xbox, even 7 years after the release (so it's not matter of time of playing...), 86% of those who bought The Witcher 3 never finished the main story at least once... And I suppose it's quite the same on other platforms.
Now, for example, if you produce a film with your own money, would you want to invest in a "3 hours film", knowing for sure that 80-90% of the people who will watch it, will leave the movie room after one and half hours (maybe because they have a life onside). I doubt it. So you will probably shorter your "awesome 3 hours movie" to one and half hour to not wast your money on something that majority will never watch once.

Unfortunately, like me, you're probably a part of the minority who finished their games (even with +100 hours of content). But it's as simple as "not wasting money/time/ressources on something that 90% of players will never experiment".

On a side note, they shortened the story not "just before the release" I think, but when the story was at "script state" yet :)

On Xbox, even 7 years after the release (so it's not matter of time of playing...), 86% of those who bought The Witcher 3 never finished the main story at least once... And I suppose it's quite the same on other platforms.
Now, for example, if you produce a film with your own money, would you want to invest in a 3 hour film, knowing for sure that 80-90% of the people who will watch it, will leave the movie room after one and half hours (maybe because they have a life onside). I doubt it. So you will probably shorter your "awesome 3 hours movie" to one and half hour to not wast your money on something that majority will never watch once.

Unfortunately, like me, you're probably a part of the minority who finished their games (even with +100 hours of content). But it's as simple as "not wasting money/time/ressources on something that 90% of players will never experiment".
Well, I don't know about that one, judging by steam stats around 25% of people finished the game, almost 30% if you take gog and PS. On the surface, it's not that many, however, I found similar pattern among games as well. DMC V, for example, has around 26% completion on steam and 18% on ps, if I read statistics correctly - and in case of RE 2, only about 30% have reached true ending. And these are much shorter, linear games, which, in theory, should be beaten by more players.

Well, I don't know about that one, judging by steam stats around 25% of people finished the game, almost 30% if you take gog and PS. On the surface, it's not that many, however, I found similar pattern among games as well. DMC V, for example, has around 26% completion on steam and 18% on ps, if I read statistics correctly - and in case of RE 2, only about 30% have reached true ending. And these are much shorter, linear games, which, in theory, should be beaten by more players.
yea its fairly common stats. Its rare too see higher then 30% for games that are on the longer side. Was pretty suprised that 35% hade finished Assa creed Odyssy... That game is quite massive -.- guessing alot of people just rush trough the story at the end just too finish it.

yea its fairly common stats. Its rare too see higher then 30% for games that are on the longer side. Was pretty suprised that 35% hade finished Assa creed Odyssy... That game is quite massive -.- guessing alot of people just rush trough the story at the end just too finish it.
Exactly. It also gets somewhat muddled by the fact, that a lot of people can just buy the game and launch it later (or just put it in the backlog), so one also should consider percentage of people, who've at least completed the tutorial mission, in order to get a full picture.

I'm actually fairly optimistic about the expansion. It's disappointing we're only getting one but given their switch of engines and the disastrous release it should surprise no one that they're moving on. Both expansions for TW3 were stellar. I think this is largely because they had the content pipelines in place and the world already created. I think CDPR also does a better job with smaller, more compact campaigns.

To take your example of RE 2, if the game was 2 times longer (adding around 30 hours). Would the players have played more, the stats would have been different ? I don't think so :(
So if I invest my own money for this game, which I won't do for "art sake", but rather to get back my invested money and with "substantial" interests, it would mean that adding 30 hours to the game is a "waste of money". That's unfortunate for those who like "long" games but it's how it is (I won't complain with a "2 time longer" Cyberpunk, for sure...)

Because there are many things that are poorly explained in the game. This is indisputable. Everything will be put in its proper place with the "expansion" I believe.
Talk about that. I am curious what I have missed (apparently a lot:) ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom