64bit Win 7, Crashes to desktop whenever leaving Flotsam, loading tutorial or arena

+
64bit Win 7, Crashes to desktop whenever leaving Flotsam, loading tutorial or arena

Title kind of says it all.

I have the Steam version of the game. Core2Quad, 4GB ram, GTX460 SLI. Version 2.0 of the game, latest drivers.

No problems through the prologue or into Flotsam (all on highest settings except uber-sampling) but whenever I try to leave Flotsam (e.g. kill troll, or meet guy who wants to check incense recipe) it crashes. I exit either gate from the town, it'll load the new area, then crash to desktop immediately.

Also, the game will load neither the tutorial or arena. In both cases loading screen appears for a second or so then immediate crash to desktop.

Things I have tried:

- 3GB switch although this is a 64bit OS
- Updated drivers
- Multiple re-downloads, re-installs through steam
- Checked local file integrity via steam
- Turned off SLI
- Ran in a window
- Ran at a lower resolution than my native 1360x768
- Ran at lowest graphics settings
- Ran Memtest
- Updated latest Bios on my EVGA FTW board

I'm at a loss. Seems like many people who have had crashes to desktop are having 32bit OS issues.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Similar situation?

I am using 64-bit Win7, and had no crashes for the first 40+ hours of play with my 5770 card.

I upgraded to a new video card which taxes the small power supply in my system. Overclocked the card, and have had two crashes in about 8 hours of play. The system is radiating serious heat, even with the case open! At stock clock, no problems. I am upgrading the supply and system cooling then will put the clock up again.

This is a really CPU and GPU intensive game which may uncover problems in your GPU, power, or cooling solution.

The point is that you should investigate failing or underspeced hardware as opposed to looking at drivers or software as the problem.

c69 - good point. My CPU is heavily over-clocked from 2.66 to 3.4 but the GPUs are both standard (although MSI does factory overclock them)

I've tried playing the game with my CPU clocked as standard, and have run the game on one card as opposed to SLI but haven't tried both at the same time.

That said I had no errors with this set up all the way through the prologue.

i doubt its a cpu gpu prob coz the game crashes at the same pts ( it does right ? )
try reinstalling the game .... could be that the patch wasnt installed properly since you are unable to run the tutorial or the arena ....

Also, on the subject of CPU, GPU. It's not like the whole PC locks up - it crashes and exits to windows without any freezing or error messaging.

Downloading the game as a clean install from Steam right now rather than the last download which was a 2.0 update to see if that makes a difference...

Good luck. Just keep trying differnt things. If a fresh reinstall and a baseline hardware config and new drivers doesnt do it, then you have to look for oddball things.

Like I said, I got dumped to the desktop with my new card after playing for an hour. The system was really hot and the card seriously overclocked. It may be something different in yours, but you cannot discount things that do not seem intutive. You could pull out all your hair to find out that your power supply is failing and have voltage drops, and your install and drivers were fine all along.

I would use the second video card in non-SLI and see if you still get the problem to rule out a failing GPU.

Hello,

I had yesterday the same Problems.
I also checked the "- Checked local file integrity via steam" and it always said that it was 100%.
I dont know why, or how I did it, but after the 1000 check of the local file integrity via steam, it said
that 2 files are missing. Then he redownloaded 7GB and it worked directly the whole Game. Also with tutorial etc.
I think I tried to start the game as administrator via Steam\SteamApps\common\the witcher 2\bin\witcher2.exe and checked again the integrity cache.

I dont know if it helps you, but like i said, i had the same problems but didnt know how i solved it.
But 100times it came the message that the integrity cache was 100% (but the message came after 1 sec toooo fast) and suddenly after the 100time checking, he started to go from 1% slowly to 100% and said that 2 files are missing, and redownloaded 7gb. Since then it is working.

So I think you maybe have the same problem.

DrBuhmann said:
Hello,

I had yesterday the same Problems.
I also checked the "- Checked local file integrity via steam" and it always said that it was 100%.
I dont know why, or how I did it, but after the 1000 check of the local file integrity via steam, it said
that 2 files are missing. Then he redownloaded 7GB and it worked directly the whole Game. Also with tutorial etc.
I think I tried to start the game as administrator via Steam\SteamApps\common\the witcher 2\bin\witcher2.exe and checked again the integrity cache.

I dont know if it helps you, but like i said, i had the same problems but didnt know how i solved it.
But 100times it came the message that the integrity cache was 100% (but the message came after 1 sec toooo fast) and suddenly after the 100time checking, he started to go from 1% slowly to 100% and said that 2 files are missing, and redownloaded 7gb. Since then it is working.

So I think you maybe have the same problem.

Seems like I may have had a similar problem because after an uninstall via steam and a completely new download and reinstall everything appears fine, although I only had a chance to do a quick test. Tutorial, arena, and Flotsam areas all loading without crashing.

Steam always said to me 100% files verified too, but I do know that my PC crashed a couple of times during the last download of TW2 while it downloaded in the background and I played Call of Duty in the foreground (it's overclocked and still not 100% stable)

While Steam offers pausing and resuming of download I suppose a hard-crash mid download could corrupt a file if it's not correctly error checked and red-downloaded. Anyways, on this fresh install I left Steam crash free for the entire download. Lesson learned I guess.

Can't wait to jump back into Flotsam. Loving the game so far...

Top Bottom